Pickle (condiment) Tricks

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2011/12/06 14:23:22 (permalink)

Pickle (condiment) Tricks

First of all let me declare that I am not a real 'Pickle' lover. I tend to remove most pickle slices I find on Burgers or alongside a sandwich. I will eat them now and then as a bite 'on the side' or as a strong Dill Spear with a lunch. OK, You get the idea that I tolerate rather than pursue pickles most of the time.

Lately, However, we came across Half-Gallon (64oz) bottles of spicy sliced pickles produced using the FAMOUS DAVE's Label while shopping at Costco. The slices are a spicy sweet pickle chip that I find very good. So Maybe I am a convert to pickle lover after all these years.

That's not my purpose in starting this thread though. As we spooned out some of the pickle-chips there remains the spicy/sweet brine in the jar. Seems like a shame to waste it, so we boiled a half-dozen eggs, peeled them and dropped them into the jar with the remaining pickles (more than half the bottle) and at least a quart plus of the brine. After sitting in the juice for three days I tried one of the eggs...downright good !! Not as strong flavored as the red-colored bar eggs I have enjoyed, but getting that way. I will wait a couple more days to see if a 5 day egg is better than a 3 day egg, and will report back.

Anyone else ever play with their pickles or eggs???
post edited by mayor al - 2011/12/06 14:30:36

29 Replies Related Threads

TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 497
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 15:28:17 (permalink)
    When I finish a jar of pickles, I usually slice up a cucumber and throw it in and create new pickles ;-)  haven't tried it for other veggies, but now that you've posted this I just might!
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 15:50:48 (permalink)
    Yup

There's a thread I posted either last year or this year on trying to duplicate Wickles pickles and another thread about a year ago on pickled eggs. There's also another of mine on making hot pepper vinegars. From my findings was the commercial brine is maintainance only and not the original brine used to make the eggs or pickles. Boiling the original brines and letting the eggs or the pickle slices sit for several weeks didn't approximate the taste at all. In the case of the eggs, the food coloring in the brine hardly affected the color of the 2nd batch.

I found several postings on the net that claimed that you can take bread and butter pickles and re-use the Wickles brine for the same taste. That turned out to be bogus. Wickles has a sweet dill taste with a hot bite. Closest I've come to duplicating this is by first cold brining sliced, whole dill pickles, (not chips that are very sour) in a hot pepper vinegar brine using a neutral tasting, medium hot pepper like the large red ones that you find in the supermarkets. Serranos are too light and fruity and jalopenos color the taste heavily. Scotch Bonnets are too much. Return those minus the pepper brine into a brine made from the dill juice with extra added sugar that's been boiled and add a few teaspoons of coarse, minced garlic that you buy in a bottle. Add two, dried, whole chili peppers to the bottle for effect. While it's not quite Wickles, it's much closer.

I have tried taking bread and butter pickles, remove the brine and add sliced, hot pickled jalapenos. with the pickles. Add a little more vinegar to the existing brine and sugar and bring it to a boil and pour it over the mix and let it set a few weeks. In this case you do get a pretty spicy pickle with a jalapeno twist. Not bad, but jalapeno's aren't my taste. Doing the above with fresh jalapenos will work too with slice dills if you like the taste.

It seems that you have to get the heat into the pickle first before putting it into a sweet, maintainance brine from what I've experienced.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 17:57:21 (permalink)
    I have placed raw jalapenos in my food processor along with leftover pickle brine and after about a week I have a delicious pepper spread for doctoring up sandwiches.
    It lasts as least as long as it takes to make another batch.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18866
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 18:49:59 (permalink)
    You leave that stuff sitting in your food processor for a week?

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 19:32:17 (permalink)
    Smart idea, Al! I buy either Ba-Tempte sour kosher dills or Nathans half sour garlic dills. To me, it's sinful to throw out the delicious "brine" that was in the jar. Sometimes, I'll pour off the brine from a new jar and add the brine from an older jar to reinforce the brining process. And sometimes, I'll actually drink the left over brine! It's like a liquid pickle.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8656
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 19:39:04 (permalink)
    Wow, Al and all-great ideas!Bob used to love drinking pickle juice on occasion, but I like the ideas you have all presented.
    Birdhunter
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 20:03:37 (permalink)
    Has anyone been to Ted Montana Grill's, they have the best pickel chunks that they serve for appetizer's. I believe they maybe half sour.
    They are real habit forming, once you have them.
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/06 20:26:32 (permalink)
    I also Get Famous Dave's at Costco. We use the brine on Green beans.  I will also add a a very small amount to Deviled Eggs. I am crazy about Wickles, a bit hard to find..
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5210
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 08:30:32 (permalink)
    When I first started to play golf I had a problem with blisters so based on something I'd heard or read I would soak my palms in pickle brine in an attempt to toughen the skin.  I can't remember how well it did or didn't work, but I did learn that people will think you're strange if you're constantly smelling your hands.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 09:06:13 (permalink)
    Tony Packos (spelling?) are really good.  It has pickles and banana peppers in together.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1035
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 09:41:41 (permalink)
    I recently read an article where some football players down south will drink pickle juice to help ward off leg cramps and other aches from dehydration, apparently it works. I don't know what other benefits it gives other than the salt, but if it helps, why not.

I don't eat pickles that often, but I'll often throw cut up cucumber into the leftover brine also. After reading this thread, I think I'll try it with jalapenos next time.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 11:38:04 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

When I first started to play golf I had a problem with blisters so based on something I'd heard or read I would soak my palms in pickle brine in an attempt to toughen the skin.  I can't remember how well it did or didn't work, but I did learn that people will think you're strange if you're constantly smelling your hands.

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 11:54:44 (permalink)
    mayor al

First of all let me declare that I am not a real 'Pickle' lover. I tend to remove most pickle slices I find on Burgers or alongside a sandwich. I will eat them now and then as a bite 'on the side' or as a strong Dill Spear with a lunch. OK, You get the idea that I tolerate rather than pursue pickles most of the time.

Lately, However, we came across Half-Gallon (64oz) bottles of spicy sliced pickles produced using the FAMOUS DAVE's Label while shopping at Costco. The slices are a spicy sweet pickle chip that I find very good. So Maybe I am a convert to pickle lover after all these years.

That's not my purpose in starting this thread though. As we spooned out some of the pickle-chips there remains the spicy/sweet brine in the jar. Seems like a shame to waste it, so we boiled a half-dozen eggs, peeled them and dropped them into the jar with the remaining pickles (more than half the bottle) and at least a quart plus of the brine. After sitting in the juice for three days I tried one of the eggs...downright good !! Not as strong flavored as the red-colored bar eggs I have enjoyed, but getting that way. I will wait a couple more days to see if a 5 day egg is better than a 3 day egg, and will report back.

Cauliflower is really good pickled. As are banana peppers!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 12:02:04 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

You leave that stuff sitting in your food processor for a week?

In the fridge in a container. After about a week it no longer looks like raw peppers but takes on a purchased pepper appearance.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 13:45:24 (permalink)
    Pickled brussel sprouts are awesome. Had them in a bloody mary years ago.Think I will throw those in the brine. Asparagus is good, pickled, too. My goodness-the possibilities!!!
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1141
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 14:13:56 (permalink)
    Let me start by saying I love pickles. When possible I make my own from what I harvest from the garden. I use my own dill for the brine and last month I tried this. Sprouts had a sale on califlower so I gathered some jars and with some leftover clauson's brine along with mine and I put the florettes in with some sliced carrots and some pepperoncini. Guess what, they are wonderful. I absolutely love Ba-Tempte pickled green tomatoes so I'm going to try that next.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2011/12/07 15:23:33 (permalink)
    Ann brussels sprouts!  That sounds delicious!
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 913
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/01/09 02:38:00 (permalink)
    Pickle juice is a fine replacement for orange juice in the morning ... a real health beverage.  Found that out from the movie "Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss".
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2110
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/01/09 09:52:37 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

Smart idea, Al!   ................  And sometimes, I'll actually drink the left over brine! It's like a liquid pickle.

I've heard of some ingenious folks freezing pickle brine on a pop stick and selling those at arts-n-craft fairs.   ... The Pickle Pop ... I'll have a spicy one ...
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2110
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/01/09 09:54:29 (permalink)
    blue heaven

Ann brussels sprouts!  That sounds delicious!

hummm ... what is the difference between 'ann brussel sprouts' & regular 'brussel sprouts'????
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/01/09 10:06:37 (permalink)
    I'm not telling.
    HarryDunn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/07/21 21:05:38 (permalink)
    Birdhunter  Without a doubt I agree.  Since I have no TBG's near me, I'd love to know how they do it as I've seared and tried just about every half sour recipe online I can find.  These are addictive!

Has anyone been to Ted Montana Grill's, they have the best pickel chunks that they serve for appetizer's. I believe they maybe half sour.
    They are real habit forming, once you have them.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/07/22 03:58:19 (permalink)
    Side benefits of Pickle Juice:
    http://benefitof.net/benefits-of-pickle-juice/
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/07/22 13:11:23 (permalink)
    I once saw commercially bottled pickle juice... no pickles, just juice.

When I had my nuclear thyroid ablation the doctor recommended pickle juice.  I needed something todrink so the radiation wouldn't affect my salivary glands.  The pickle juice kept them working so I had no pain.  Good stuff!

He didn't tell me what to do with the swollen ankles after the fact.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/07/26 17:53:07 (permalink)
    mayor al

Al, make some deviled eggs, mayo. mustard etc., add some of that juice to the mix, strain some to get the seasonings, add a touch of it also!

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/11/07 14:33:31 (permalink)
    Try this - I think it's Vlasic that makes bread and butter pickles, cut a little thicker than most.  Add a spoon of Creole mustard to about a cup of pickles.  It gives the pickles an interesting taste and takes away some of the sweetness, it's really good.  I've heard you can buy Creole mustard at Whole Foods, or any brown, grainy mustard would probably work.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/11/07 18:16:11 (permalink)
    Sounds tasty, Belle. Will try that!
    jjdebaca
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/11/15 16:49:47 (permalink)
    zucchinis are good pickled, too
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Pickle (condiment) Tricks 2012/11/16 08:45:05 (permalink)
    And another take on "making" pickles:

a quart jar of kosher dill whole pickles (drain off the pickling liquid), slice these very thin and return to the jar; boil 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of apple cider vinegar until all the sugar is dissolved, pour over the sliced kosher dill pickles and let stand in the fridge for 2 weeks.

I have had these and can report they were very good! Sort of between a sour dill and sweet pickle.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1