Chili Colorado Con Carne, and Texas Chili Con Carne ?

Junior Burger
2011/12/09 01:38:45

1. For Chili _Colorado_ Con Carne I found several sources that say the dish originates in central and northern Mexico. By reading dozens of them, I see there are many variations of this dish, and I found some use only pork, or a mixture of beef and pork, some use just slices of bacon with beef as a predominant meat.
Some recipes for the Colorado chili call for only beef just like in the Texas Chili Con Carne, and many of the Colorado chili recipes forbid beans and tomato too.

In general I found nothing that will differentiate it from Texas Chili Con Carne ie, "Bowl of Red". A recipe for the "Original San Antonio chili" by one of chili queens, preserved by the Institute of Texan Cultures, calls for pork too (see the recipe for the "Original San-Antonio Chili" on NPR online).

So I was wondering if the Chili Colorado Con Carne is just the regional name for the very same dish Texas Bowl of Red, or there is something that significantly differentiate the Texas chili con carne from the Chili colorado con carne ?
If so, I am confused by the notion the Chili _Colorado_ Con Carne dish originates in central and northern Mexico and not in San-Antonio, or Texas in general at least.

2. Did someone here try ground annato seeds in the chili ? Lately, I see annato seeds (achiote) are all the rage, increasingly used instead of cumin. Does the flavor of annato significantly differ from cumin ?

PS: This is not a question: by using the same proportions of meat with chiles or ground chiles following one of Tolbert's and Jane Butel's recipe for the Bowl of Red, I never needed any hominy or masa harina or roux or starch or cornmeal or tortillas to thicken the chili. Never.
I have my off-shot of their recipes with my own choice of chiles - and preparing them dried and roasted, or dried and ground, or my own chili seasoning, and my chili swims in a reasonable amount of sauce, and thickens by itself just as nicely. Quantities of chiles in action, or something else ? I don't know what happens, but it never fails to thicken just by itself.
post edited by venetia - 2011/12/09 02:12:10