Fried Mush

Double Cheeseburger
2011/12/16 14:23:04
Picked up some cornmeal mush from the store the other day. Had not had this in a while. Dust with flour, fry it up and cover with syrup. Oh yea and some fried SPAM alongside!
webean
Junior Burger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/16 16:46:10
A breakfast food from the past...nice brown and crispy crust.
Spam sounds like a good side
And plenty of maple syrup
Any brand of corn meal stand out that you could suggest?
badart
Junior Burger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/16 16:51:58
My father loves him some fried mush, and I haven't had it in ages. Might have to invite him over for some soon, that sounds good.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/16 17:06:41
I usually have mine with sausage or bacon
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/17 08:55:59
Fried mush and scrapple explains a lot about Philadelphia.

If I had been raised on that I'd "boo" Santa Claus, too!
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/17 10:11:03
webean

Don't recall the brand name. It's in a light yellow package in the refridgerated section. That's the one that seems popular here in Indiana.

webean
Junior Burger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/18 13:19:18
An interesting variation on fried much is a cajun dish called Couche-Couche from a cookbook..."Tell Me More"
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/18 14:52:07
fishtaco

webean

Don't recall the brand name. It's in a light yellow package in the refridgerated section. That's the one that seems popular here in Indiana.

In the 2005-2006 Mush thread at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Cornmeal-Mush-m166887.aspx I posted:
When I was working at the food mart, we used to handle Clearfield's Mush, which came in a rectangular block similar to the Velveeta package that is inside the 2 lb. Velveeta box. I tried using Google to see if it still might be available, but nothing comes up, so I guess they are out of business.

In the same thread, I also posted: After checking around, I see some Jaxon's Mush in a roll in some of our stores (central Illinois). After checking Google, Jaxon's is a small company in Dayton, Ohio.  Phone: (937)890-7350  They also have a Facebook page.

fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/20 14:04:31
6star

fishtaco

webean

In the 2005-2006 Mush thread at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Cornmeal-Mush-m166887.aspx I posted:
When I was working at the food mart, we used to handle Clearfield's Mush, which came in a rectangular block similar to the Velveeta package that is inside the 2 lb. Velveeta box. I tried using Google to see if it still might be available, but nothing comes up, so I guess they are out of business.

In the same thread, I also posted: After checking around, I see some Jaxon's Mush in a roll in some of our stores (central Illinois). After checking Google, Jaxon's is a small company in Dayton, Ohio.  Phone: (937)890-7350  They also have a Facebook page.

That's it Jaxon's. That is the one popular here in Indiana also.

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/20 15:43:18
webean

An interesting variation on fried much is a cajun dish called Couche-Couche from a cookbook..."Tell Me More"

I'm guessing that's pronounced "coosh coosh" or "cooshay cooshay" unless it's cooked by Charo, in which case it becomes "cootchie cootchie".
webean
Junior Burger
Re:Fried Mush 2011/12/20 20:43:56
NOLA site pronounces it coosh-coosh
Thanks for the Charo reference. I was trying to recall her name