Can someone tell me the difference between desebrada and machaca beef?

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
  • Reward points : 0
Can someone tell me the difference between desebrada and machaca beef? - Wed, 12/28/11 2:27 AM
To me, they sound like the same thing. Am I missing something?
<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 12/28/11 3:03 AM>

RodBangkok
  • Total Posts : 385
Re:Can someone tell me the difference between desebrada and machaca beef? - Wed, 12/28/11 5:29 AM
Originally Machaca beef was dried to preserve it, then pounded and shredded like deshebrada.  Carne deshebrada is slow cooked beef then shredded.  I don't think you'll find the real machaca beef in machaca anymore, mostly carne deshebrada, but could be wrong, its been a long time since I had either in the Southwest. 

hella good tacos
  • Total Posts : 112
Re:Can someone tell me the difference between desebrada and machaca beef? - Tue, 03/19/13 10:39 PM
I used to work with a guy from michoacan who used beef jerky in his beans, apparently it was the closest thing he could find to machaca.... i've never never had it myself.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7742
Re:Can someone tell me the difference between desebrada and machaca beef? - Wed, 03/20/13 9:38 AM
Using Jerky to flavor beans is interesting. I have friends in the premium Jerky business. I'll have to try that...with their Jerky.