Helpful ReplyGLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 12
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 09:13:47
....and a good time was had by all!

Some 18 desperate for food Roadfooders converged on the Loveless Cafe last evening for a wonderful night of fun, friends and catching up!  Many thanks to Poverty Pete for organizing this event and to the Mayor for his accounting skills in reconciling the tab!

The Rev. Traveling Man led us in a brief, but poignant remembrance as we all raised glasses to our recently departed friend and felllow Roadfooder Rick F....very nice and deserving!

The Loveless was hopping with a line out the door and an overflowing parking lot, but with reservations by Poverty Pete, we were quickly seated.  Large tables of families and friends were interspersed with 2 & 4 tops creating a loud, party like atmosphere.

After plenty of catching up time, we were served family style.  Dinner included fried chicken, catfish & hush puppies, country ham & red eye gravy, mac 'n cheese, greens and hashbrown casserole.  Everything was unlimited, served hot and tasted fantastic!

And yes...there were biscuits...served in quickly diminishing piles along with homemade peach, strawberry and blackberry preserves!!!  :) :) :)

We spent a good 2 hours circulating around the table chatting with fellow Roadfooders.  The highlight of the post dinner segment was a presentation by Michael Hoffman and his lovely bride lleechef of the Roadfood Trip Report of the year award for 2011.  This year's award was deservedly presented as a tie to Wandering Jew and buffetbuster who were both in attendance.

Buffetbuster declined comment instead referring all inquiries to his publicist who remarked that "this award was a hallmark of his long and distinguished Roadfood career and would not have been possible without the countless chefs, servers and doggie bags he has encountered throughout America."  Wandering Jew did choose to say a few words and concluded some 90 minutes later.

Brunch this morning and then it's another year wait...mark your calendars now!  President's Weekend 2013!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 10:16:25
Considering that Sundancer and Iwannago were my ride and due to lack of sleep the night before I think I concluded my speech sometime after I returned to my hotel room and went to sleep.

After brunch, I will be returning to Birmingham for my evening  flight home with hopefully a stop at the Birmingham location of Dreamland BBQ
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 17:38:10
We arrived home at 4 PM Sunday, Tired but full of memories and good food !  Thanks to all for making this a fine reunion. Film and Journal entries will be posted shortly.
BTW- The rain/snow mix we faced in Nashville ended as soon as we got on I-65  going North. The road was dry and clear all the way home !
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 17:52:44
At the Airport in  Birmingham AL waiting for my flight home.
Mostly rain on my drive for about 40 or 50 miles outside of Nashville then an occasional light sprinkle clearing up before arriving in Birmingham. 

It was great to see everyone again, and glad that all the original Glee Club folks could attend- my last event in Charleston 2 years ago just didn't seemed "out of place" without you. 

On a different note Will -work- for-bbq and I were having a conversation about a coffee house I visited in the Birmingham area about 7 years ago. I couldn't remember the name,however after my final meal stop on the trip, I plugged in "coffee" on my gps- and there it was only 2 miles away!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 20:38:45
OK, Since WJ (Dale) has given you a peek at his coffee obsession...Let me present WJ as he focus's on another obsession...photographing his roadfood order ! Now WJ is by far not the only one of us who does this, but please note the emotion in his face as he prepares to attack his target !!

Another 'High Point' of this Glee Club Meeting, was the introduction of the "Honeymooners" Michael and Lisa Hoffman!
They received hearty congratulations from all attendees, and seemed to reflect their new found happiness in all of the activities of the weekend.

We were pleased to have New-Kid-On-The-Block"Will-Work-for-BBQ" (Lynn) join us (from Alabama) for the weekend of food and fun.

Now another of the CTD Pork Chop Specials. Here he poses with a coveting eye, over the 4 Giant Chops and a plate of Ribs We ordered at Kock'em Hill BBQ Saturday morning.  The Pork was very good...I am enjoying some left-overs tonight !

These are just teaser intro-photos... The trip report of many of the members will wander on from this point til we ALL run out of photos !!
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 21:46:32
It was all fabulous!  Especially the company!  I enjoyed every minute, every conversation, every food venue.  Have already had some of my leftover pork chop for supper!  Ha!  I'll be noshing on it for a good while to come.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/19 22:33:02
Enjoy the pork chop, Lynn.  When I have one of those, I generally spend three or four days eating one.

This next weekend I'm going to make a 100-mile run (one-way) to Knockum Hill for several people where I live.  I generally do this in the summer without calling ahead and have never had a problem.  Never have done it in the winter, though, so I will call a few days ahead.

hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 09:43:03
Is it wrong that even though I have never met either one of these people that when I saw the picture of Michael and Lisa Hoffman together I smiled about as big as humanly possible?  I guess this place is a family even for those of us who only post occasionaly and have never been to any of the events. 

Congratulations again to the two of you!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 09:50:38
Lleechef and I had a great time in Nashville. It was a blast finally meeting so many wonderful people. We can't wait for the next Glee Club gathering. I might even wear my stupid Hawaiian shirt again -- although I'll be kicking and screaming.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 09:58:29
hatteras04 many thanks for your kind comments.  Michael and I had a wonderful time.  All the food was great but the company was extraordinary.  Some of the folks I had seen photos of but had never met face to face and for me, that was the highlight of the trip! 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 10:00:14
Michael and Lisa:  Roz and I were finally glad to meet the both of you.  We particularly enjoyed the libation with Bushie and you two at the Maxwell House.  Thanks for sharing your time with us.

Sincerely:
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 10:21:33
Paul, it was a pleasure. We hope to be able to do it again sometime.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 10:55:20
It was a great time.  I got to see some old friends, and I met some new ones (including some good friends that I had never met  )  Very much looking forward to next year.

My favorites of the trip were Silke's and Ron's BBQ & Fish.

I'm just really disappointed that ChiTown was on a diet.  He just picked at his food the whole trip.
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 12:46:00
Great reporting so far and I'm sure there's plenty more to come!  And thanks to CK I'm thinking that my trip to Ohio and back later this year should maybe include a visit to Hinkle's.

Brad
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 13:12:11
lleechef and I had been looking forward eagerly to visiting the Loveless Cafe outside Nashville and sampling their famous biscuits. That's why we went down a day early, in order to be able to have breakfast there on Friday. We'd both been hearing about the biscuits for years. Frankly, we were underwhelmed. The biscuits we were served were just about as ordinary as can be. There was absolutely nothing wrong with them, but they were not, as was stated on the Food Network, "America's best biscuits."

That afternoon we met Bushie and Poverty Pete at the Flying Saucer for a few adult beverages and mentioned our disappointment. Bushie said he'd found that sometimes the biscuits were better than at other times, and Saturday evening we found out he was right again. The biscuits served at dinner were absolutely terrific -- nothing at all like the ones we'd had the previous morning.

By the way, dinner at the Loveless with everyone was great. The fried catfish, the greens, the country ham, the hashbowns casserole and the macaroni and cheese were delicious. Yep, the food was almost as great as the company.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 13:54:49
Micahel & Lisa -

It was great to meet you both and attach faces to the names.  Hoping we cross paths in the future...

I beleive I am completely addicted to hash brown casserole...hoping there is no photographic evidence of my many helpings!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 14:23:47
ChiTownDiner

I beleive I am completely addicted to hash brown casserole...hoping there is no photographic evidence of my many helpings!

and thanks to YOU

I've put on the 10 lbs that I lost before this trip!

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 14:58:38
wanderingjew

ChiTownDiner

and thanks to YOU

In Vegas, that means you broke even! Congratulations!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 15:18:51
ChiTownDiner

wanderingjew

ChiTownDiner

and thanks to YOU

In Vegas, that means you broke even! Congratulations!

CTD:  Great analogy and very funny

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 16:35:23
OK- It is time for my version of the GLEE CLUB MEETING-Trip Report covering this expedition. I hope several of you will also give reports that cover the weekend from your own perspective...sort of like having the various networks covering the same news event...

We were late comers to the extended event, but planned to include the main meetings in our weekend visit to Tennessee. We visited Silke's Bakery and German Cafe in Clarkesville... Knock'em Hill BBQ in Hearndon KY, The Loveless and Ellendales, both in Nashville.
  Leaving home at 3:30 AM Saturday morning, we were among the first drivers to cross the newly repaired I-64 bridge to Louisville. It had been closed for 6 months due to structural failure found last September. Anyway it reopened to traffic at Mid-Night, just hours before we left, saving us several miles of city detour had it remained closed. Then down to E-town on I-65, and SW on the Western KY Parkway to the US 41 Parkway south to Clarksville/Ft Campbell. We timed the drive just right, planning to arrive just as SILKE'S BAKERY AND GERMAN CAFE opened . All well and good, except I forgot to factor in the one hour time change from EST to Central Time. Thus we arrived right at 6:30 and had an hour to wait til the place opened at 7:30 !!  Sort of a "Delayed TTM treatment" !  The Cafe actually opened for us about 7:10 and we were able to get some shopping for take home bread  done before the rest of the crew arrived.
They had a nice variety of loaves of various breads and pastries for take-out as well as some nice rolls and 'Plates' of meats and cheeses for a light breakfast in the dining area. Please look up above in this thread for a copy of their complete menu. We were pleasantly surprised at the very high quality of the food presented at SILKES. In a Military-centered town one expects a lot more in terms of GI targeted food offerings, but this is really good baked goods. The Sourdough we brought home is as good or better than any we have enjoyed elsewhere. The pastries were tasty, and the samples of the meat platters that were shared were very good...especially the liverwurst.
Here the boys sample pastries and look on at CTD's Meat Plate. He did share his Pickle chips with me !!

TTM ordered a meat sampler and a Latte' that looked great. The round disk is the slice of Liverwurst, It was outstanding.

We then left SILKES at about 9 AM and convoyed out into the border area countryside to Knock'em Hill BBQ. The owner and his assistants made us feel quite welcome and took our order. We had ten folks present so we ordered 4 of the Giant Pork Chops, and several other rib and pork plates. We heard a lot of mixed reviews of the various sides. Some folks like the beans, some didn't, and same for the Potato Salad etc. The Pork, both the ribs and the giant Chop was good. The Chop is really a 4 rib pork roast cooked slowly yet retaining most of it's moisture. It was "Interesting"!! We brought about half of ours home and finished it off Sunday night.  About 11:30 am we were pretty well 'Porked Out" and headed to Nashville to check into our Motel and rest a bit before the evenings session.
AL & Jan shared this Giant Chop and the rib plate-

Here is Gregg (again) hoping we will not make him share the four chops !!

Lyn managed to consume "some of her Chop, but she took it home along with a Chocolate Pie that WJ had picked up at the Family Pie Store in Arkansas on his way to the meeting. She went home happy !!

Here's a close-up (minus CTD) of those Monster Chops

After a morning of pastry sausage and BBQ we were slowing down a bit.

As darkness settled in we headed west on I-40 to exit 192 and took the short side road over to the Loveless Cafe. The place was very crowded and parking spaces were few and far between, but we eventually got settled and seated within minutes of checking in. Even though the place was jumping and quite noisy, the servers hustled food and drink to the 18 of us with amazing speed and courtesy. It really helped keep the spirit high to see the way they worked so hard to be sure everyone ALWAYS had full plates and drinks.
Greeting were warm and friendly, even in the big crowd.

Ralph and Lori check out the menu before the food began arriving. Lots of Biscuits and fresh Preserves  helped start us off.

Chris brought his wife Ellen to her first RF meeting. She seemed to fit right in with the group. Chris (Pogophile) is our resident expert on Middle Tennesse locations !

The family style service meant that the platters and bowls saw a lot of movement as the dinner progressed

I managed one photo of my dinner..Ham, Catfish, Hashbrown Cassarole, Greens, Hush Puppies and Fried Chicken, with a Cucumber salad on the side. Outstanding..I rated the Ham as the top meat on the dinner. Some of the Varsity did a few desserts too, but we had our fill from the main menu.

MH and Lisa made the presentation of "Best trip Reports" to BuffetBuster and Wandering Jew. Well deserved awards, I must say.

The "Boys" show off their Trophies !! Congratulations Cliff and Dale, Keep the reports coming in.

Sunday Morning found the weather turning a bit sour. Our numbers dropped a bit due to some wear and tear for a couple of folks and the threat of bad weather affecting the ride home for others. With a dozen or so in attendance , we entered a much mellower environment at Ellendale's. The O J was fresh, the food quite good and the service, again, more than what one expects at a buffet/brunch. Lots of good conversation and a brief Sharing of thoughts on the Meaning of Life by our young philosopher, T T M , was a fine ending to an excellent example of how the Roadfood Experience has brought us all together in a real "Spirit of Friendship".
TTM and Janet enjoy a light breakfast and some fresh O J

Steve (TTM) delivers a brief sojourn on the Meaning of Life to give us "food for thought" on the trip home.

The guy really mellowed out as the brunch came to a close. Everyone said they were looking forward to the next meeting !

We will participate as we can in other activities later this year, but will be sure to mark our Calendar for a Gulf-Shore/ Mobile Weekend this time next year!!!
post edited by mayor al - 2012/02/20 16:42:08
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 16:56:10
Cousin Johnny was sitting next to me at Silke's, and I believe that it was his meat plate that you described.  I ordered all pastries!  :-)  The cheese danish has few peers, the apple streusel cake made its way around the table, and a fresh, warm German pretzel was top notch.

I would not hesitate to recommend this place or stop by again, if I were nearby.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 17:16:59
What fun you all seemed to be having! Thanks for the updates, and looking forward to more........
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 18:03:01
Not being much of an Old Fashioned fan, I passed on the Old Fashioned made with bacon-infused Bourbon at Patterson House Friday night with Bushie and pogophiles, who both did seem to enjoy them, and lleechef, who stuck with wine -- although she did take a taste of my Jack Daniels (and grimaced). Bushie, who's been experimenting with making a bacon-infused bourbon concoction also ordered a shot of just the bourbon and he kindly offered me a whiff. The aroma was magnificent. I've said before that while I'm not a big fan of bacon, I do love the way it smells while being cooked. And that's the way this stuff smells -- ambrosia in a shot glass.

One of the neatest things about the drinks there was the ice. I ordered my Jack on the rocks, with just one rock, and boy was I surprised by that rock. My drink and the Old Fashionds each came with just one ice cube that wasn't a cube. It was the size and shape of a golf ball (without the dimples), and the best part was that it didn't melt and dilute the drinks..

Thanks again Poverty Pete for getting us to go there and slip past the curtain.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/02/20 18:04:15
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 18:19:41
I did indeed pass on the bacon-bourbon Old Fashioned because it sounded a little too "boozy" for me but it surely was a very sexy cocktail with the unique ice.  I took a sip of Bushie's drink and it was divine. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 18:38:50
It wouldn't surprise me if Silke's was my favorite stop on the  Nashville portion of the trip. 
I arrived in Nashville and joined in right after Chi Town Diner had to "slow down a little" for his dining companions.  I'm sure there were other great stops before my arrival and when I left after Ellendales.
 It seems like several of the roadfood stops I visited on this trip (both pre Nashville and in Nashville)  had some items on the menu  that were real winners and some that were ok. I just had one big bomb on this entire trip- but I'll get to that when I begin my trip report hopefully sometime this weekend. Everything was a winner at Silke's- even the coffee which they get from Nashville's local coffee house- Bongo's.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/02/20 19:52:40
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 19:02:56
OK I am going to back up just a little and post some filler from my stop with pogophiles @ Martin's BBQ and the rest of the events.

Dad and I drove around the south side of Nashville and headed to the J Percy Priest Dam and lake.  This is the lake you all saw near the airport (just east of it)

I the distance is Nashville Shores Waterpark,  as you can see from the sign
WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET
Here is the dam

I went back to my dad's and waited to hear from the wrecking crew on their monsterous day trip that was going to end with Eastside Fish and maybe a dessert or 3.

I got the call and headed to meet the crew at Eastside Fish, i was excited because I was going to meet the LEGENDARY cousin Johnny.

My navigation system DID NOT LIKE NASHVILLE (if you all name a street something STAY WITH THAT NAME DONT CHANGE IT EVERY BLOCK)

I got to Eastside Fish and I knew something was up, there was Buffetbuster, WanderingJew, TheTravelingMan, ChiTownDiner and Cousin Johnny.

ALL LOOKED like they had been hit by a fully loaded semi truck.  There were the remains of a fish sandwich amongst them.

I came to find out CJ was under the weather and so was TTM, BB and CTD had eaten enough for 23 people in the past several days, WJ looked tired and ready for a good nap after his drive into town.

So I ordered, and we talked for a few moments, my sandwich came up quickly

The original OG Fish Sandwich
Here it is after 1/2 the sandwich was eaten and the bread still not touched that is how BIG this sandwich was.

minus the onions and pickles

The wrecking crew headed back to the Hotel for their early start inthe morning.  it ws good to meet CJ if only briefly.

sorry for the blurriness of the picture I was laughing too hard when I took the pix.  the kid standing there had his drawers at about half mast and they kept falling to the floor. NOT a pretty picture.

I did order 2 pieces of Chess Pie to go and ate one when I got home and the other disappeared in the night and I didnt eat it 

Dad said it was a good 3am snack.

Next Day's Events:  I will post after dinner Smoked ribs, rice and beans yummmmmmmmm

Jack's BBQ
Robert's Western World
Loveless Cafe

TTFN
post edited by CajunKing - 2012/02/20 19:47:04
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 19:14:49
Dale, We agree with your rating of SILKE's. It was a nice variation from the usual roadfood breakfast place with tons of 'heavy' protein boosting foods  and Carbos falling off the plate.  Light and very very tasty, this IS a real find !

CK, We missed the Hot Fish this trip. The Catfish with our Loveless dinner was good, but it was overshadowed by that GREAT Country Ham that I could not stop eating.

It has been way too long since we have enjoyed 'real' Country Ham ! I have ordered one from Allan Benton's Hams from the Knoxville area. Hopefully it will saturate our desire for real ham !!!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 19:48:19
Michael Hoffman
One of the neatest things about the drinks there was the ice. I ordered my Jack on the rocks, with just one rock, and boy was I surprised by that rock. My drink and the Old Fashionds each came with just one ice cube that wasn't a cube. It was the size and shape of a golf ball (without the dimples), and the best part was that it didn't melt and dilute the drinks..

Here are a couple of pictures of the machine that makes those ice cubes...

The basic pieces:

In action:

The end result:

In a glass:

The overall effect is incredible!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 20:16:03
The Eastside Fish was ok, not spectactular, i should have went with something besides the OG Fish Sandwich.  It was not my favorite of the trip.

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 20:41:56
OK - Showtime, this is my day in eats leading up to and including the Loveless.

I was going to head out in morning and join the group at Silkes & Knock Em Hill BBQ, but my dad got his days confused and thought that he was going to make his biscuits and sausage gravy that morning (we had agreed on Sunday morning).  I waited thinking he was going to start them around 7am giving me time to eat them and then jet to Silkes or Knock'Em Hill.

Well............ he got sidetracked on "frontierville" and time got away from him.

So I read the post about Paul & ROz going to Jack's Legendary BBQ on Broadway in downtown Nashville.

I called them and made plans on meeting them there.  Well parking around the Ryman or Broadway was ridiculous, I eneded up in a parking structure paying "early bird" prices of $12.00 to park, and it was 3 blocks away down hill.

I finally got to Jack's BBQ

Note the line out the door, I called Sundancer and they had gotten their food and were right inside the door.  So I skirted the line and went to join them.
The BBQ was ok, but not LEGNDARY (maybe in their own minds, which will turn out to be the theme of my broadway experience)

With Paul and Roz getting ready to head back to the hotel, I decided against waiting in line to order the BBQ.  Yes the line now stretched down 3 store fronts and was over 2 hours.

Instead i went next door to Robert's Western World Honky Tonk
http://robertswesternworld.com/

The live Honky Tonk band playing was Ike Johnson & The Roadhouse Rangers
They were good and loud, the place was packed but I got a spot at the bar near the grill.  I ordered lunch and was told there was 1 1/2 HOUR wait for "The Best Burger In Nashville", what the hell the diet coke was cold and the music good.

and then there was ths sign (this was the "cleanest' one I can post)

The grill was a 36 inch flat top and those two worked their arses off just trying to break even getting the tickets cleared (they never did the wait when i left was still 90 minutes)

The burger was a preformed frozen puck, the mushrooms were dumped from the can onto the grill, the O rings were good and crucnhy with beer batter.

(ANOTHER BROADWAY LEGEND...... In their own mind)

I will return, im thinking Banananana puddin for dessert where did i put my shoes?

mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 21:37:11
Wonderful reports from old friends, a few friends i have not met yet. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and its offshoots. thanks to all who have written. Congrats to BB and WJ for well deserved recognition for their trip reports.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 23:47:22
I'm Baaaaaaack!

AND I DID BUFFETBUSTER PROUD (my sugar level not so much, but CTD & BB will be proud)

So

After trying to choke down "The Best Burger in Nashville" I ate the onion rings and another diet coke and listened to the honky tonk band. The lead singer said "If you came in here to hear Carrie Underpants or Taylor "Shi*s" then you all need to get the hell outta here cause you WONT find that crap in here." and he was right, 50's & 60's rockabilly & honky tonk music.

I wish there was a way to post video I created two clips of different songs. The guy looked like a 1953 George Jones, and sounded like Ol Hank.

Ok I left Robert's Western World and thought to myself "self let's get a cab back to the car?"  Self said "But it's only 3 blocks?"  I said "self it's 3 blocks UPHILL.... TAXI!!"
It was the best $3.20 I spent that day.

I was starting to get the beginnings of what would become another headache from hell.  I decided that since it was only 2:15 I had plenty of time to drive to Dad's take a short nap with some advil and then head back to the Loveless.

It worked perfectly, I got back to dad's took a short nap and then headed to the Loveless.  I had gotten basic directions from pogophiles earlier and instead of printing off directions I figured I could find it, my navigation system and I DO NOT LIKE NASHVILLE roads.  One direction the road is onething, the other direction it is called something else, if it is a state highway then not only is it "bob's turnpike east" but also TN 251 and 3 other roads also and the damn sign onlys says something totally different.

I THANK my human navigation systems (my wife and pogophiles) they got me there a little late ok A LOT late but, food was still flowing and the serious discussions just beginnning.

I thought the toast to RickF was good it reminded me of those we have lost this past year.  "Salute" to them all, may you rest in peace.

The award ceremony was nice, Buffetbuster was prancing around holding up the I'm number 1 sign, until we reminded him that he actually tied for second. 
In all honesty, both WJ and BB well deserve their awards, their trip reports are not only food related but area related too an that makes it fun for me to read the reports.  (I am not going to divulge which of the award recipients umm...... left his award on the table as we left)

Here are my pictures:
Dinner (ham, hash brown casserole, catfish, greens and mac 7 cheese)

The wait staff said "Don't eat that cold catfish, and Baboom a plate with fresh hot catfish, and then hot biscuits and then more HBC and then some more biscuits.  I was stuffed.

here is the gang, and let me begin by saying:

It was great to finally meet Ralph & Lori, Michael Hoffman and his blushing bride Lisa, Lin (Will work for bbq) and Pogophiles wife too.

The rest of you..... It was good seeing you all too.  I did miss cousin Johnny and hope that you are feeling MUCH better.  I also missed bushie somewhere??

Ralph & Lori Melton

The Travelling Man & Lori (Ralph you better watch him!! oh wait she is not 16 and serving him.  Lori will be ok) I love you brother

Soon to be Doctor Roz

The Mayor and his wonderful wife Janet (why she puts up with us I will never know)

Will Work For BBQ

Wandering Jew          Mrs Pogophile (Ellen)                                             Bushie

Poverty Pete     (PP called in sick)

Now I am missing myself ( I would break my camera), CTD (he took most of the people pictures while I caught up on eating), BB (who knows where he was hiding or maybe he was taking biscuit pictures during this time, and the Curmudgeon and his bride ( I thought he threatened us with death by fast food with we showed his face)

So I am glad others took thir pictures so I can see them.

MH - It was really good to meet you, maybe i can get up to Columbus this summer and Gahanna Grill or over to Waldo for some bologna.

As the main gaggle of glee clubbers left, I thought to myself (we talk alot myself and me)

"SELF - EVERYONE IS LEAVING AND WE HAVENT HAD DESSERT YET??
WAITRESS!!!!!!!!!!"  She brought the menu and told me their selections it was decided that WE MUST order:

Banananananana Puddin

Chocolate Fudge Pie

Key Lime Pie

and even though I ordered 3 berry cobbler, she came back and said they were out of 3 berry cobbler  " />" />" />
but they did have fresh blackberry cobbler coming straight from the oven.

enough spoons were brought and those that remained sampled the dessert course.

No more chocolate fudge pie

No more BANNANANANNA PUDDIN

According to me he top dessset was the Bananana Puddin, followed by the cobbler, thenthe fudge pie, then key lime pie

Loveless Neon

I followed CTD back to the airport exit and then back to Lebanon for me, when I got home my headache from hell had returned and the lights were like someone driving a nail throughmy left eye.

I had a note for Dad to wake me up so I could make the Sunday Brunch, but he had other plans for us that day.  His college roommate who he had not seen in 40+ years was passing through and wanted to stop by for lunch.

So that's what we did, an authentic mexican buffet that was out of this world.
They had a great time it was good to see him smile.

So I missed my chance to say "GOOD BYE" to you all. it was great to see & meet you all. I am hoping that 2013 in the Gulf Shores is a possibility.

One last note:  I went south to AVOID this stuff

post edited by mayor al - 2012/02/21 00:32:52
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 00:03:38
My last night in TN what would buffetbuster do??

I had ribs dinner at home with my dad and his wife, but was hankering for dessert.  it was almost 8:00pm and like the other night I was in a rush to make it back to the Sunset Family Restaurant before they closed.

It was 7:58pm as I pulled in to the almost empty parking lot, not a good sign, but there were people inside so that is a good sign.  As I walked to the door the owner/manager was walking to lock it.

She smiled and welcomed me inside, i was about to say i will take it togo when she asked how many in the party?  WOO HOO!!!

She showed me to a section that had just been cleaned and got some looks from some of the servers.  My server came up and I said "I'm only here for desssert"
"you don't want dinner?"  "nope just ate but needed some bananana puddin"

I placed my order and thought i could hear the kitchen crew cheer when I only got dessert.

I was still thinking "What would BB do on his last night in town and you know the pie and pudding are good????"

I KNOW!!!!  ORDER THEM ALL!!

Bananana Pudding

Buttermilk Pie

Grandma's Recipe Chocolate Pie

You all rememebr the picture of my dad with the look of "I cant believe I ate the whole thing"  imagine that look now.

except he was home playing frontierville 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:26:46
Don, I would really enjoy meeting up with you at either the Gahanna Grill or G&R Tavern in Waldo. Maybe you could talk lleechef into at least trying a fried bologna sandwich. She keeps refusing when I try to get her to try one.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:29:15
Nice report and pictures.  Looked like a great time!  

Congrats to BB and WJ.  Well deserved recognition.  WJ what was that food item you were sneaking up on with the camera?

And I must say, MH doesn't look anything like the curmudgeon I thought he would be.....must be the shirt  Lisa and Michael, congratulations on you marriage.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:34:16
CK-
All three?  That is some quality ordering, my friend!  Both of the pies look really good, but the banana pudding looks to be the best of the lot.  I need to check this place out.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:35:05
You all can keep your fried bologna (baloney) sandwiches.  I'll take that blackberry cobbler!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:46:29
Don, see what I mean?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 09:02:37
Lisa
  You are not alone.. I find Fried Baloney sandwiches to be a 'Tail-gater's Worst Nightmare' ( eat one before the game and then have to find a Port-A-Can before half-time !!) The name that it earned in our annual Boy Scout Summer Camp (60 years ago) was DONKEY DICK . I found that strangely revolting and have not touched one of those sandwiches since !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 09:15:31
Al:  I am like you and Lisa.  They served them a lot when I was in the Air Force.  The airmen called them Horse C--K sandwiches.  I never ate one after that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 10:01:21
Thank you for the congratulations Mr. Rogo. I am, though, a certified curmudgeon. As someone masquerading as an Italian guy from Pennsylvania you should know that appearances can be deceiving.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/02/21 10:02:47
Bushie
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:06:25
On Sunday afternoon, I was forced, forced to ride along with the 3 Musketeers (CTD, BB, TTM) to continue depleting the inventories of several local cafes.  We stopped by a little shop named Cupcake Collections, which I realized was just a few doors down from Monell's, where the 1st meeting of the Glee Club was held.  I was thinking about that and wondered if I could find an old picture I was fond of.  So, this morning, I dredged up this shot, for those who are unfamiliar with the history of this group of fine-looking and intelligent people who gather every year.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:
The West Tennessee BBQ Appreciation Society & Glee Club
circa 2005, Lynchburg, TN

This picture was taken during their brief, but quite memorable concert tour through the Southeast, billed as:
Pogo & The Porchdogs

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:16:55
My, my, what a HANDSOME group of Roadfooders!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:33:10
Bushie

On Sunday afternoon, I was forced, forced to ride along with the 3 Musketeers (CTD, BB, TTM) to continue depleting the inventories of several local cafes.  We stopped by a little shop named Cupcake Collections, which I realized was just a few doors down from Monell's, where the 1st meeting of the Glee Club was held.  I was thinking about that and wondered if I could find an old picture I was fond of.  So, this morning, I dredged up this shot, for those who are unfamiliar with the history of this group of fine-looking and intelligent people who gather every year.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

This picture was taken during their brief, but quite memorable concert tour through the Southeast, billed as:
Pogo & The Porchdogs

I like how Paul is "posing" in this photo!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:49:57
WJ:  I sorta doubt if I was posing.  I suppose that something may have caught my interest.  Maybe the aroma of some nearby libation sorta caught my attention???????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:54:58
Paul-
Or considering your love of birding, maybe you spotted a yellow-bellied sapsucker!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:14:59
Bushie

Pogo & The Porchdogs

Yikes!  THAT was a few pounds ago...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:34:17
Those are just cosmetic changes in appearance due to the camera angle, My comic-strip fearing friend !!
Come on some of you Glee-Clubbers who took tons of photos...Get them added to this thread with your comments on the meetings...before we have to start planning the next session !!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:39:45
mayor al

Those are just cosmetic changes in appearance due to the camera angle, My comic-strip fearing friend !!
Come on some of you Glee-Clubbers who took tons of photos...Get them added to this thread with your comments on the meetings...before we have to start planning the next session !!

I have 10 days of trip reporting to do prior to Nashville- I'm deferring those additional photos to my fellow Roadfooders.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:40:58
buffetbuster

Paul-
Or considering your love of birding, maybe you spotted a yellow-bellied sapsucker!

I am trying to recall but as best as I can remember, it was a mile or more bird.  Perhaps you are not familiar with this species but it is extremely rare in Tennessee.  It is a bird that sinks  his beak in the sand and whistles out his rear and you can hear it for a mile or more" />

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:45:36
Paul-
Actually, that is fairly common around here, just not from birds.

Al-
I have lots of photos, but my laptop is being repaired.  I will try and get some up by the end of the week if all goes well.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 14:08:29
OK, To bring back some more of the old memories of the 2004 initial session of the Glee Club. I found a couple to add to Chris's historical file...
Bushie and Paul meet the famous JimInKentucky, the evening before we hit the BBQ tour.

Here Pogophile counsels Jim about asking the waitress out for a drink, while the rest of us are waiting for our Fried Chicken and Okra !!!

Not quite a Roadfood Top Ten list-maker...My Three Sons BBQ

The boys were standing in the room watching us during the visit. I never could figure out who was Larry or Darryl and the other Darryl??? Note that Paul remained standing, not to show respect for the owner...but for health and safety reasons.

Thanks Chris for bringing us here, after the visit to Hayes Smokehouse !
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 14:33:56
Bushie

Pogo & The Porchdogs

Those with an observant eye will notice only one Hawaiian shirt in the crowd; a sign of things to come..
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:13:07
Darned Bushie.....had to go and start that Hawaiian shirt tradition.  Now since I own one and can basically wear it nowhere, I'll have to keep attending the Glee Club meetings.  Such a sacrifice!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:39:03
All kidding aside, and forgiving Poverty Pete's rough health this past weekend, the five guys in that picture from 2004 don't look like they aged a single day since then.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:40:28
All traditions have to begin somewhere.  Bushie started it and now many of us have one of those "beautiful shirts???"

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:46:25
The Travelin Man

All kidding aside, and forgiving Poverty Pete's rough health this past weekend, the five guys in that picture from 2004 don't look like they aged a single day since then.

No kidding!  They have not changed one bit!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 16:37:43
will_work_4_bbq

The Travelin Man

Well, Poverty Pete and Bushie now wear long pants.

Bushie
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 17:33:42
The Travelin Man

Suck up...

will_work_4_bbq

Well, thank you for your very kind words, Lynn.  Dear.

Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 17:35:03
Mr. Hoffman, I fully expected you would be attired in an Ascot and perhaps a Safari hat!
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 12