Helpful ReplyGLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE

Page: << < ..21222324 > Showing page 21 of 24
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 17:36:36 (permalink)
So, where was the absolute best food you all had?
A topic?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18343
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 18:06:17 (permalink)
I left the hat at home. Wrong season, don't you know.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 19:32:06 (permalink)
That picture of you guys is a classic-what a wonderful group of men!
CK-love your trip report-got a good feeling of it all. I am enjoying all of the comments and pics-keep it up!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13479
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 19:39:06 (permalink)
ann peeples

That picture of you guys is a classic-what a wonderful group of men!
CK-love your trip report-got a good feeling of it all. I am enjoying all of the comments and pics-keep it up!

Ann, I sure do wish you had been there.  That would have made our trip complete.  Al has always been so complimentary of you and it made me really want to meet you.  I think you would have enjoyed Roz also.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3732
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 19:46:59 (permalink)
Bushie

The Travelin Man

All kidding aside, and forgiving Poverty Pete's rough health this past weekend, the five guys in that picture from 2004 don't look like they aged a single day since then.

Suck up...

will_work_4_bbq

No kidding!  They have not changed one bit! 

Well, thank you for your very kind words, Lynn.  Dear.

This is just hurtful.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15210
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 21:22:31 (permalink)
To respond to Chewie's question about the best and not the best stops.  We did only the main meeting places... 4 of them. Since they were all very different (not compteting with each other) a ranking is quite difficult. SO- in order of our attendance---
1. Silke's Bakery and German Cafe-  was a very pleasant 'surprise' for me. Excellent food, good location, pleasant staff, and good company. I must find some of that quality Liverwurst spread somewhere local. It was wonderful.
2. Knockem Hill BBQ had the attraction of the Giant Pork Chop. Otherwise it was an "ok" BBQ in a rather remote location. I might take a visitor there if we were in the area, but I doubt that we will go back.
3. The Loveless Cafe was much more a social event with eating as a support to the fellowship. The food was very good, Lots of passing of bowls and use of fingers for chicken and fish etc. We love the place and will return when possible. The family style dinner for a group worked very well.
4. Ellendale's is a class act. As we were all rather worn-down by the previous day(s) activities, Ellendale's provided a mellow place to relax and enjoy some very nice Brunch-type food. The shrimp were large and firm, the Lox was very tasty, and the fruit and juices were fresh. Conversation was the prime action here, and we talked a lot more than we ate. Ellendales is in the airport area and it was a convenient location for a parting event.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 21:36:52 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Bushie

The Travelin Man

All kidding aside, and forgiving Poverty Pete's rough health this past weekend, the five guys in that picture from 2004 don't look like they aged a single day since then.

Suck up...

will_work_4_bbq

No kidding!  They have not changed one bit! 

Well, thank you for your very kind words, Lynn.  Dear.

This is just hurtful.

Nobody likes a whiner, Steve...

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2914
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 07:22:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
So true Bushie, so true!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 07:31:10 (permalink)
In the few places I was able to visit, my order was...

1. Marcy Jo's
2. Arnold's Country Kitchen
2. Sylvan Park (the original)
2. Ron's BBQ & Fish
5. Silke's Bakery & German Cafe

I enjoyed Knockum Hill for several reasons...loved getting out into the countryside, hanging with friends, the chop was good, but I really loved the pulled pork sandwich.  It was served exactly as I like it and to me was fantastic. 

I/we also found that with one exception (Bolton's was so disappointing, so disgustingly disappointing (separate story)), the interactions with owners/staff/etc. was warm, welcoming and alot of fun!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 10:01:10 (permalink)
Gregg,
   You make a very good point regarding the level of service and attitude as an integral part of the overall experience of a roadfood 'stop'.  Example- Loveless was really a busy crowded environment. Normally that would turn me off a bit as I consider my overall visit. But, in this case the fellowship of the group (let's all endure this in good spirits) and the friendly nature and real 'hustle' of the young lady who worked so hard to keep things coming at our dinner table, turned the 'Lemons into Lemonade' for me.
The German ladies at Silke's were very helpful, explaining the differences in the various items, and even warning me of the high cost of the Liverwurst when I asked about buying some to take with us. They were great !

On some other thread somewhere I recall reading a comment that If the food is good, but the service is poor, we won't consider the visit a positive experience....BUT  If the service and attitude is friendly and helpful, that can really cover some  below average food in the total scheme of things.

That's kind of how I measured Knock'em Hill BBQ. The folks running the place made it a good experience for me...the food was NOT bad, but I considered it typical "C+ to B-" grade BBQ. Chatting with the workers made it a "B to B+" visit for us.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 12:35:17 (permalink)
Wow!  Wish I could have been there.  Such great reporting and pictures.  So glad you all were able to get together are share wonderful food and stories.  Many well deserved kudos to Wanderingjew and Buffetbuster.  Gregg, I look forward to breaking bread with you one day.  Did anyone make it to Prince's for Hot Chicken?  Just wondering if the super hot version was tried at all.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 13:48:40 (permalink)
billyboy-
I think we need to make it a project to get you to next year's Glee Club.  You would fit right in! 

On Thursday night, cousin Johnny, ChiTownDiner and myself went to Prince's Hot Chicken.  I am sorry to say that none of us got anything more than the mild, which was still plenty hot enough for us.  Truthfully, at mild, all the heat is in the skin, as none of it had soaked down to the meat.

Now, on a previous trip to Prince's, Mariton took on the extra hot and despite agallant effort, it was too hot for her.  Which is pretty amazing, considering she can eat hotter foods than anyone I have ever seen before.  Instead, she ate the regular hot with no problem.  If the extra hot is too much for her, it would probably put me in the hospital! 
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 14:56:03 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
2. Ron's BBQ & Fish

Just to verify, is this the restaurant at the intersection of Blue Hole Road and Antioch Pike?  If so, when were you there and what did you get?  I've been to Ron's a few times in various guises (this is their 3rd location in the past few years) and, while I really like their meatloaf, I've never been particularly blown away by them.  Certainly not to the level of Sylvan Park or Arnolds.  But then, I've never been on the weekend either, which could be a different animal altogether from weekday lunch...

Thanks!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 17:19:43 (permalink)
pogophiles -

Really enjoyed meeting you and your wife also...she gets gold stars for putting up with our group!

I believe the location you mentioned is our location...it was near the airport if that helps.

We had alot of different items...are you surprised?  The sides were really good...one of the best ever spaghetti's I've ever had.  This had large chunks of meat in the typically sweet southern sauce of bbq'd spaghetti.  The mac 'n cheese was also a winner.  My meat was fried shrimp which were a commercial prepped version but fine.

Bushies catfish looked and tasted real good.  Other sides I sampled were green beans, sweet potatoes, cabbage and white beans...all really good.

The only less than satisfactory item was the banana pudding.  Not up to standards.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 18:26:19 (permalink)
billyboy

Wow!  Wish I could have been there.  Such great reporting and pictures.  So glad you all were able to get together are share wonderful food and stories.  Many well deserved kudos to Wanderingjew and Buffetbuster.  Gregg, I look forward to breaking bread with you one day.  Did anyone make it to Prince's for Hot Chicken?  Just wondering if the super hot version was tried at all.

Billyboy

I checked my previous trip report for my second visit to Nashville in 2008
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=448806 

As it turns out, I did order the Hot Chicken at Prince's "Hot" but not "Super Hot"

you can  experience my findings in my trip  report.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 18:33:57 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I/we also found that with one exception (Bolton's was so disappointing, so disgustingly disappointing (separate story)), the interactions with owners/staff/etc. was warm, welcoming and alot of fun!!!

I agree with Chi Town Diner,

however my previous experience at Bolton's was entirely different.  Poverty Pete and I went back in 2009. We were probably the only people there at the time, and Mr Bolton was there too (it doesn't seem that he was there on our recent trip) I thought the Hot Chicken there was better than Princes. Unlike the Loveless , which is a large restaurant, it doesn't appear that a small operation like Bolton's can handle a large crowd, therefore something suffers either quality or customer service, in this case, customer service, and there is no excuse for that.

Another example I can think of is DiFara's Pizza in Brooklyn, since it was "discovered" around 10 years ago,  quality in my opinion has suffered considerably. What was once some of the best "by the slice pizza" I've ever enjoyed has turned into something just north of mediocre. I know others may feel differently but this is what I have experienced but after my last experience in 2007, I really don't have a strong desire to return.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/22 18:38:48 (permalink)
Thanks CTD - Good to know!  
BTW, my wife enjoyed herself immensely at the Loveless, so thanks to all for making her feel so welcome!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 11:35:17 (permalink)
I tried Prince's Hot Chicken on this visit. I ordered just the medium spice, but it had me sweating profusely - I don't think that I would have enjoyed it any hotter.

I had the smoked chicken at Ron's BBQ and Fish, and it was fairly dry and mediocre. I was amazed by the green beans, though - they were really outstanding, one of the highlights of the trip.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 14:32:57 (permalink)
I ended up having to buy a new laptop yesterday, but still have only been able to download a small fraction of my photos.  But here are some of the ones I have so far:

In the waiting area of Loveless Cafe, they have a tribute to Carol Fay Ellison,

their famous "biscuit lady", who died in 2010.  If there is a drop off in the quality of biscuits at Loveless, now you know why.

During the dinner, TTM leads the group in a toast to former Glee Club member Rick F., 

who recently passed away.  Rick, you were in our thoughts and was sorely missed.

Also from the Loveless, Sundancer and Iwannago.

And Ralph and Lori Melton.

I think Lori accidentally sat in the seat that was meant for me, because right over her head was this sign.

From Sunday brunch at Ellendale's, we have will_work_4_bbq

and wanderingjew,

with MayorAl in the background.

After the large group headed off into different directions, one of the stops for my group was at Cupcake Connection, who has won an impressive amount of awards.  Here

is the half dozen we bought and shared.  I didn't have any, but the group seemed to really like them.

I was more interested in the nearby bear statue

that seemed to be doing a Heisman pose!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/02/23 14:35:39
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 14:40:09 (permalink)
On my last day in Nashville My dad took me to another of his local meat n 3's called Michael's in Lebanon.  It was in a strip mall (bad sign of things to come?)  It was a cute bright lit place FULL of locals.  The sheriff was there, so was the town's SWAT team, business people, old folks with their garndkids (president's day holiday no school).

The food is served cafeteria style, the board behind the servers listed the day's meats which were FRied Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, Tilapia and 2 more but seeing the pork tenderloin brought out fresh from the back that got my attention.

I chose:  Pork Tenderloin (not pounded thin like BPT sandwich), mashed potatoes, mac & cheese & HBC  all were excellent and yummy
the mashed potatoes were real red skinned taters mashed with a bit of cream and butter. I WAS IN HEAVEN!

For dessert they had buttermilk pie, pecan pie, coconut cream pie and nana puddin

I got buttermilk pie and nana puddin, dad helped me eat them and he really enjoyed them.

The pie was really good, the nana puddin had just been made so that the flavors didnt have time to meld together yet and I came across a VERY green banana chunk.

All in all a really great meal and I will go back when I am down there again.  The place is only open M-F 11a to 2p and thurs, fri & sat 4p-8p.

They were PACKED with a line out the door most of the time we were there.

My trip home was windy and uneventful, until I was 17 miles from home.... then....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 14:46:49 (permalink)
CK-
Oh no.......

In the last few years, I have become a bigger fan of buttermilk pie.  And I am no fan of buttermilk.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 15:54:45 (permalink)
buffetbuster
I was more interested in the nearby bear statue

that seemed to be doing a Heisman pose!

Actually, he's throwing a snowball.  Not sure how that one ended up there, but there are cousins of this statue in the Edgehill neighborhood off 12th Ave.  There used to be a pair of them in the front yard of a small house there, but they have been moved to a small park in the area.  They have been Nashville landmarks for many years.  I even have a long-sleeved T-Shirt with them on it from a Nashville Public Radio promotion of many years ago...

As I understand it, there were originally four of these polar bear statues which were decorations for an ice cream store.  Here is a link to a story in the City Paper that gives more info on the bears...
http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/polar-bear-statues-get-new-home
From the article:
The polar bear statues have long been a symbol of the community of Edgehill. They were the creation of the late Gio Vacchino, who owned the Mattei Plaster Relief Ornamental Company around 1930. They stood at 1408 Edgehill Ave. for more than 60 years. They were constructed as advertisements for the Polar Bear Frozen Custard shops on Gallatin Road and West End Avenue, which closed after World War II.

Also, apparently Nashville was not the only home of Polar Bear Frozen Custard (or of remaining bears).  Scroll down the page at  this link to find more...

http://www.agilitynut.com/critters/bears3.html
post edited by pogophiles - 2012/02/23 16:13:50
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 16:20:24 (permalink)
Looking at the calendar for 2013...

Fat Tuesday is the Tuesday before the weekend events?

Do we really want to be in Mobile/Gulf Coast for Mardi Gras and the after mess?
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 417
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 20:12:47 (permalink)
Ok....we can have another meeting any time, anywhere.  I have finally finished my pork chop from Knock'Em Hill!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13479
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 20:50:41 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq

Ok....we can have another meeting any time, anywhere.  I have finally finished my pork chop from Knock'Em Hill!

I was your seat mate and i wish I had got to know you better.  I am glad you attended your first event with us.  I hope to see you are our next event.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 21:02:58 (permalink)
Sundancer7

will_work_4_bbq

I was your seat mate and i wish I had got to know you better.  I am glad you attended your first event with us.  I hope to see you are our next event.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Hope to see you and the others again soon, Paul.  I was considering Boston until I saw the air fare...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 21:03:17 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq-
Now that the pork chop is gone, you can start working on the pie!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 21:47:25 (permalink)
Yeah Lynn, give us a report on the Chocolate Pie, Please. The Coconut was very good...but very sweet also. I have enjoyed both flavors last summer, so I am eager to hear what you think.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 21:55:13 (permalink)
Oh yes!  The pie!  The pie is history!  It was delicious.  No, not too sweet but very dense and fudgey.  Very enjoyable - thanks BB!
icecreamchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/23 22:37:32 (permalink)
The cupcakes pictured above were lovely...I only regret I was too full to eat more than a bite or two.

I really enjoyed the weekend and meeting up with old friends and new. Unfortunately, our travel hassles kept us from the group until dinner on Saturday, but we had a great time with everyone. And, despite the wonky phrasing, I love the Loveless! Mmmm...fried chicken and biscuits! 

Note to BB: I was not in your seat. I was making sure you had a great view of that painting. ;-)

We went to Pancake Pantry on our own Saturday "morning" (like 11:30 -- it was a late night!) and braved the line...or, well, Ralph did while I shopped at some of the stores on that street. When I came back, he ran off, and returned with a single red rose for me. Naturally, I was delighted.

Over our pancakes, though, we had a conversation that went something like this...

Me: This rose is so pretty! Was it on sale because Tuesday was Valentine's Day? 

Ralph: Ummmm...

Me: How on sale was it?

Ralph: Are you sure you want to know?

Me: It was free, wasn't it?

And we both laughed. Yay for the weekend after Valentine's Day, and it is the thought that counts! :-)  Also, the sugar and spice pancakes there are out of this world! Probably my second favorites...my favorite pancakes are those at NOLA's Camellia Grill.

Well, that's enough of my babbling for one thread. Again, thanks to all Glee Club folks for a great time!
Page: << < ..21222324 > Showing page 21 of 24
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1