Stiles Switch BBQ

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1055
  • Reward points : 0
Stiles Switch BBQ - Fri, 12/30/11 12:30 PM
Has anyone tries this place and if so, your opinion please?

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9527
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Fri, 12/30/11 3:22 PM
brisketboy

Looks like their Urbanspoon reviews were written by their PR Department!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Fri, 12/30/11 6:09 PM
I'll send my kid over to see if it's any good. But, knowing Lance and the great BBQ he did at Louie Mueller, I would imagine it should be very good.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Wed, 01/4/12 8:42 AM
Foodbme

brisketboy

Looks like their Urbanspoon reviews were written by their PR Department!

I had to check.  You are right; it is "kinda unusual" to have all the glowing, lengthy reviews being done by first time posters.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Wed, 01/4/12 10:37 AM
It might be helpful in either your title or your original post you mention where this place is.  I had to search to find out that it is a brand new establishment in Austin, TX.  Many regular readers know where long-standing places are located, but it might give some frame of reference to let people know that we are talking about central Texas barbecue.

MetroplexJim
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Thu, 01/5/12 9:31 AM
The Travelin Man

It might be helpful in either your title or your original post you mention where this place is.  I had to search to find out that it is a brand new establishment in Austin, TX.  Many regular readers know where long-standing places are located, but it might give some frame of reference to let people know that we are talking about central Texas barbecue.

Really, you aren't missing much.  I much prefer Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ in the Orlando area to any BBQ I've had here in Texas. 

That said, like the individual in the following video, I haven't tried Franklin's yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Thu, 01/5/12 2:58 PM
It would seem that the grass is always greener, my friend.  Bubbalou's is pretty good, but I almost always attach my caveat of "for Florida."  I can't think of too many of the Texas places where I've eaten that I wouldn't choose over Bubbalou's.

Have you tried Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas or Cooper's in the Fort Worth stockyards?  I think both of those places have really ramped up the BBQ choices in the Metroplex. 

MetroplexJim
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Thu, 01/5/12 4:27 PM
The Travelin Man

It would seem that the grass is always greener, my friend.  Bubbalou's is pretty good, but I almost always attach my caveat of "for Florida."  I can't think of too many of the Texas places where I've eaten that I wouldn't choose over Bubbalou's.

Have you tried Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas or Cooper's in the Fort Worth stockyards?  I think both of those places have really ramped up the BBQ choices in the Metroplex. 

I've got to reveal my prejudice here:  I'm not big on brisket.  Smoking the sinew out of a cheap cut of beef pales in comparison to what the Eastern Carolinians do to a whole hog.  So, even in Texas I go for the ribs or pulled pork (on which I slather my own vinegar/pepper sauce - Scott's Barbecue Sauce, Goldsboro, NC). 

As my wife "doesn't do pork" she always gets the brisket and I always take a nibble or two if it has a little bark.  To me, Texas brisket is better with Lee & Perrins than with any of the local goop they cook-up.  The reason I like Bubbalou's is because they serve most every "style" of Q - nothing great, but all of it is decent to good; many places here in Texas are brisket only.
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Thu, 01/5/12 5:01 PM>

mcguirejohnr
  • Total Posts : 111
Re:Stiles Switch BBQ - Wed, 01/25/12 9:59 PM
I just went to Stiles tonight.  I started at Louie Muellers but got there about 15 minutes too late so ended up at Taylor Cafe for some decent Q although it is the first Texas BBQ place taht puts sauce all over the meat.  After Taylor Cafe I went to Stiles to try it out.

Stiles was very good.  The beef rib was OUTSTANDING, rendered out perfectly with a thick crust.  Brisket (a mix of moist and lean) was very good with a thick crusty bark and super tender and juicy...not as good as Franklins but top notch.  Pork ribs were very good with lots of pepper in the crust but they were slightly cool so I don't think I got the best they had to offer.  I got an "original" sausage and it was very good classic Central Texas but I do prefer my sausages on the dry side and this one was fresh of the smoker and a bit wet still.  I would say that Stiles is very similar to Lockhart Smokehouse up in Dallas.  All in all it was worth a stop and is very similar to Louie Muellers and J. Muellers.  Near the top of the Central Texas BBQ lists for me.

Up in the morning to return to Franklins and then on to City Market Giddings.