Florida Keys

Junior Burger
2012/01/09 10:00:39
Visiting the Florida Keys in Feb.. Any memorable restaurants I should visit?
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/09 10:54:48
We were there last October. I didn't find any memorable in regard to food but did for ambiance and good times like feeding the tarpon at Robbie's Marina Hungry Tarpon Restaurant on Islamorada, The No Name Pub on No Name Key off Big Pine Key, and Sloppy Joe's where Hemingway hung out in Key West.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/09 12:22:50
You can search Florida Keys in the forum section and find several options.
badart
Junior Burger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/09 17:18:22
The Fish House on Key Largo(Yellowtail is a specialty of the Keys, get it Matecumbe style). At the aforementioned Robbie's, go to the docks and feed the tarpon, but don't leave a finger or two!! Those things look like they could remove a digit if you aren't careful.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/09 18:33:39
I like Blue Heaven for breakfast, Lobster Eggs Benedict eat breakfast with the chickens. The place is really layed back, order a Mimosa, wait for a table, eat in the court yard (Nothing fancy) Like I said, your in the Keys, Relax........Good cup of Cappuccino........have fun................pnwc
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/09 18:40:04
I have traveled all 50 states and extensive in each.  I have never been to the Keys and I have always want to go to drive the big bridge, enjoy the seafood and Keylime pie and Key lime everything else that they make.  That is my next USA destination.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/09 20:08:21
Feeding the tarpon at Robbie's Marina. You can watch the action from the outdoor dining patio.

gush
Junior Burger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/10 07:44:42
I like to stop at Alabama Jacks in Key Largo. Great view and real Keys bar and grill. Food is good, not great. I would stop at the Lorelei for sunset in Islamorada and agree with Robbie's Marina on mile marker 77. I actually like the restaurant there. I had grits and grunts, which is unusual, but authentic. I really like the Key Fisheries in Marathon for Stone Crabs and view. Outside Key West on Stock Island is the Hogfish Bar and Grill. I would also visit Mount Trashmore on the other side of Stock Island (?). Lots of amazing places to eat in Key West, especially the pricey but special Blue Heaven. I also like B Os Fish Wagon. 

gush
Junior Burger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/10 07:45:23
Did not like the No Name Pub, but enjoyed and found the Key Deer in that area.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/10 09:05:16
Sundancer7

I have traveled all 50 states and extensive in each.  I have never been to the Keys and I have always want to go to drive the big bridge, enjoy the seafood and Keylime pie and Key lime everything else that they make.  That is my next USA destination.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul - I have spent the better part of my life in Florida now, and I have spent a grand total of six hours in Key West (on a cruise), and zero time in the upper Keys.  I keep telling myself that this is something I should want to go back and do more of - and I just never get there.  If you do the drive, honk on your way through town!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/14 11:54:50
linlam:  Are you driving from the mainland?  Are you going all the way to Key West?  Where are you staying?  Do you just want Roadfood (mostly cheap and casual) dining, or do you want to do some haute cuisine fine dining too?

Milt
Cheeseburger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/14 16:50:13
Blue Heaven was the best meal we had on our last trip to Key West.  I had grouper and my wife had yellowfin tuna.  Both were exellcent, but the vegetables were even more impressive.
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/14 19:52:24
i second the fish house in key largo-loved their matecumbe style fish and the husband had i believe a grouper francaise that was fantastic

in marathon i really enjoyed the keys fisheries. very relaxed atmosphere, great stone crab

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Florida Keys 2012/01/16 02:05:28

I'll be the third one to recommend the Fish House in Key Largo, and to get the yellowtail snapper Matecumbe style.  Matecumbe is an American Indian word.  I have no idea what it means, but part of Islamorda is on Upper Matecumbe Key, about 20 miles "south" of the Fish House.   

In Islamorada is the Islamorda Fish Company, which was pretty good.  It is now a chain restaurant associated with Bass Pro shops or Outdoor World (one of those type places).  But, the one in Islamorada is the original, and is a little different and better than the chain outlets.    I wouldn't pick it over the Fish House, but if you're in the upper keys for a while, and want more choices, you can add that one. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/01/16 02:06:45