Lunch in Brick, NJ

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4469
  • Reward points : 0
Lunch in Brick, NJ - Tue, 01/10/12 11:33 AM
Heading to Brick on Friday, looking for a good spot for lunch.  Classic RF or Italian. (And nobody better recommend Bubba Gumps!)

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 11:06 AM
Joe. great hotdogs at Boardwalk Hot Dogs on Drum Point Road......superb Mexican at the authentic Mexican place at the end of Kennedy Mall...voted one of the best in the state,great portions and VERY reasonable prices(El Tam...something..I'll look it up....if you want a true diner experience, the Rainbow Diner on Rt 70 is an award winnerGreat Italian at Rivoli's on Fischer Blvd in near by Toms River...also highly recommend Tuscany House rigjht on Hooper Avenue in Toms River. for classy Italian,Seafood etc. Great place.
    Let me know how it goes...oh and we don't have a Bubba Gumps!

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 11:08 AM
El Tenampa is the name, Joe. Our Favorite Mexican...small but oh so good!!!

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 11:46 AM
In very close toms river why not try joe joe italain hot dogs- a real taste of jersey  http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/joejoes/ 

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 6:26 PM
joerogo

Heading to Brick on Friday, looking for a good spot for lunch.  Classic RF or Italian. (And nobody better recommend Bubba Gumps!)

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3668
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 6:31 PM
joerogo

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 6:48 PM
Oh come on guys,let it go!!!!

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 9:40 PM
Joe, if you're looking for old-school Italian, one place I'd recommend is Tuzzio's. It's in Long Branch, but that's only about 10 minutes from the northern part of Brick.

If you order an entree, I'd definately suggest the Dinner salad with provolone and salami as an add on (+2.50 according to the menu). It's one of the things that brings me back. 
 http://www.tuzzios.com/

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 10:10 PM
Years ago I went to college in Long Branch, and believe me, it's a good 25 minutes to a half hour from Brick,flying up the Parkway...not even close to that 10 minutes.....it's over in Monmouth County!!!

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Wed, 01/11/12 10:12 PM
There are many great classic Italian places right in Brick. I'd also recommend Villa Vitoria on the corner of CedarBridge and Hooper.

joerogo
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Thu, 01/12/12 8:46 AM
leethebard, Thank You for the recommendations.  Most of your choices are close to where I am working, El Tenampa is walking distance.

californyguy, Joe Joe's looks great, but a little far south for this trip.

ken8038, Thanks for Tuzzio's.   I'll keep this one in my back pocket.

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Thu, 01/12/12 3:59 PM
Joe, went by El Tenampa today and was shocked to see they're closed. Have a location on Rt. 9 in Toms River, but the Brick Restaurant is closed. This is one upset family here....sorry!

joerogo
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Thu, 01/12/12 5:02 PM
Thanks for the update Lee.  I'm leaning towards the Rainbow Diner.  I checked out the menu, and figure I'm overdue for some good Greek food.

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Thu, 01/12/12 6:51 PM
Good choice...popular place, great portions and great prices...busy at lunch and dinner time...Enjoy...and let me know what you think.
              Lee

joerogo
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Fri, 01/13/12 4:55 PM
Hey Lee,

I think the Rainbow is best for breakfast.  The breakfast platters I saw looked great.  There was so much food, the meats had to be put on separate plates.  The woman across from me was served a bowl of bacon with her eggs and potatoes.  I was impressed.

I ordered the spanakopita.  It came with a Greek salad and a cup of soup for $11.95.

I had the Manhatten clam chowder.  I can assure you, the clam did not fall off the string.  It was bascially a potato soup in a tomato broth.  

The spanakopita and salad came out on one plate.  It was a whole lotta food.  The first thing that suprised me was the waiter putting oil and vinegar on the table.  I ask if there was a Greek dressing, he went back to the kitchen and mixed oil, vinegar and oregeno in a coffee cup.  The salad was fresh, no anchovies though, the dressing was lacking.  The spanakopita could have been good, but they microwaved it.  The philo was so mushy it was disgusting.  So, I would not recommend you order Greek food at this Greek Diner.  Breakfast looks like the way to go.

Next time we'll go for pizza!

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Fri, 01/13/12 6:12 PM
Sorry it didn't work out. Yes, we usually go for breakfast, but we've had some late night Rubens and such....never had their Greek food. Most of the Diners around here are Greek owned.

joerogo
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Sat, 01/14/12 9:31 AM
Lee, all they had to do was heat the spanakopita in a convection oven.  It would have remained crisp, instead of soggy.

When this thing hit the table, I was impressed.  It looked wonderful.

I tried again to get a picture of one of my hero's on the way home.  If you are traveling up the Northeast Extension(476 North), at mile marker 39.5, look in the woods.  You can only see this in the winter when the trees are bare.  There is an old 50's style mobile home, complete with a built in swimming pool in the middle of the woods.

Best I could do at 65MPH. 

Man, Now that's livin!

leethebard
Re:Lunch in Brick, NJ - Sat, 01/14/12 9:59 AM
You're right, Joe. It sure looks good. That gut sure has no "neighbor" problems!