Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 32
Author
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 17:27:19 (permalink)
Thank you Mr. Mayor- we're not that attractive anyway
acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/24 17:15:15 (permalink)
Hi everybody. Do a lot of lurking when I'm here and try to add something substantional when I can. This is a great place. I'm qualified to be here as I like to eat:). I like playing guitar especially Piedmont style blues. I hail from northeast Pa where we have PIZZA!.
AB
nanster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/25 12:55:15 (permalink)
Hello. I'm in northern California. A few years back, I bought Square Meals and have loved the Sterns since
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3480
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/25 13:23:28 (permalink)
I'm on the west side of Michigan, Grand Rapids area to be exact. I came here when a friend passed along the link, because he thought a good friend of mine was a member here...which completely threw me, since he passed away almost a year ago. Anyway, I had to register to look at the profile, so there you have it. Being that I've become a creature of message boards, it was pretty easy to start posting.

About me, a little. I've never worked in food service, preparation, or anything related to food. I just love to cook. I got my start moderating message boards in the Kitchen/Recipe sections of tech sites, and now there are several I frequent which have them. I only have time to moderate one board any more (used to do three), as well as serving as their news editor. I do ALL the cooking at my house (apparently drive-thru is the option if I'm busy), and I'm always experimenting...mostly with luck, sometimes not so much.

My job/career is as a professional union stagehand (yes, there's a union for that , my local is 110 years old this year, our International is 112). I serve as the Recording Secretary for my union local. I am also heavily involved with the AFL-CIO Union Label and Service Trades Council. I serve as the Financial Secretary for my local Union Label Coalition, and as a delegate, board member, and webmaster of the Michigan State Union Label Council. That will most likely branch out to even more political involvement and higher profile positions as time goes on.

I've never lived anywhere but West Michigan, but I travel extensively throughout the United States. I also travel throughout Michigan for work, so I get a fairly good amount of road food along the way.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/25 13:28:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

My job/career is as a professional union stagehand (yes, there's a union for that , my local is 110 years old this year, our International is 112).

IATSE, huh? I used to work on a permit in New Haven at the Shubert, and sometimes for ice shows at the Arena.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3480
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 03:33:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
IATSE, huh? I used to work on a permit in New Haven at the Shubert, and sometimes for ice shows at the Arena.

Yup, Local 26, West Michigan. I must say, it's VERY cool to have someone not only know what a stagehand is, but know the International. I know several people who have played New Haven, but I've never been there myself.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 07:58:18 (permalink)
Both of my sons are IASTE ex members by virtue of working rock shows at The Meadowlands in the 80s. I did a little volunteer organizing for the Seafarers International Union in my youth and have been a staunch union supporter supporter ever since. In fact, I helped lead the Poughkeepsie teachers out of the , then stodgy, NEA into the UFT
in 1965.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 08:25:17 (permalink)
Retired SEIU local board member---and grateful!
Unions--the folks that brought you the "Weekend"!

and---welcome abord everyone!!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3300
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 09:33:26 (permalink)

I'm Chicagostyledog. Born and raised in Chicago. Escaped to Wisconsin. PhD at HDU. www.hotdogu.com
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 09:46:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Yup, Local 26, West Michigan. I must say, it's VERY cool to have someone not only know what a stagehand is, but know the International. I know several people who have played New Haven, but I've never been there myself.

One job given me during a run of the Ice Follies was to page the skating chimp backstage.
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 09:53:43 (permalink)
Hi,
Like those before me, I have "lurked" for awhile just enjoying reading all the forums.
I grew up in California, but have lived in Texas for many years now. My husband and I love to travel and of course eat!
Last summer we drove almost 4,000 miles on a "Roadfood" odyssey from Texas via Ok, Ks, Ne, into Wyoming (our destination), southern Mt and back home through Co. and NM. It was great with some good food along the way.
We both work in the field of entomology trying to find new and less toxic ways to get rid of pests.
This is a great site and I look forward to many Roadfood adventures in the future.
Allison
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 10:00:39 (permalink)
Welcome to everyone - look forward to reading more posts!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:05:58 (permalink)
Hi, Tristan here. I found this site through a link a couple of months ago and became hooked.I enjoy everyone's comments and I've learned so much about roadfood that I'm planning to take a roadtrip with my new found information shorty. As for me, I'm a metallurgical engineer in the auto industry. I grew up in central Indiana, went to Purdue, and spent the past 20+ years trying to find the best places to eat in the various places I've lived. I have been lucky to have lived in some wonderful locations for roadfood including Chicago, LA, SF, and Boston. I'm now back where I started in Indiana (home of a great pork tenderloin sandwich). Whenever I have something of interest concerning roadfood, I'll try to pass it on here.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:17:27 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Rhodes. Born in Ithaca NY, spent most of my life in Toronto (aside from a year in Southern France when I was a youngster and four years back in Ithaca at Cornell U), then just recently moved down to Dickerson MD to live with my sweetie (who I actually met in Ithaca when I was a student). I was in academia, English Lit., grad student and then university prof to be precise, for most of my twenties and early-mid thirties (with some forays into the professional food world as a line cook in a couple pubs), then left that universe to go into social services and worked as a food bank coordinator and then as a fundraiser for food banks for a few years. At the moment I'm doing some freelance editing and part-time tutoring, and this very morning I found out that I got another part-time job as volunteer coordinator at an agency in Frederick MD, so I am very happy
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:17:29 (permalink)
Tristan: How do they make that pork tenderloin sandwich?
lisajocole
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:25:24 (permalink)
Hey there -

My name is Lisa and I, too, have been lurking this site for quite a while. My love of roadfood began as a child in the 'burbs of Detroit when my parents would take us to Windsor, Ontario, for Chinese food at the Flying Tiger. I thought it was so cool to go to another country just for lemon chicken, which was wonderful by the way! I lived for 20 years in Michigan, enjoying all the fabulous eats there, and have lived the past 20 years in sunny St. Pete, Florida - where grouper and cuban sandwiches rule (sorry you missed out on the cubans, Clothier!). I ran across the Stern's RF book in a Sal Army store years ago, and have been in love with them ever since. Funny how I hardly know my name some days, but can remember almost every meal eaten out since I was born! My grandparents are Hungarian on one side and from Tennessee and Mississippi on the other, so I grew up eating all kinds of awesome foodstuff. Glad to "meet" all the RF posters - I enjoy your insightful, funny and informative comments so much!

dixiebrave
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:52:54 (permalink)
Hi! I'm Dixiebrave--lifelong Southerner and faithful Atlanta Braves fan! I, too have been "lurking" for a couple of weeks - now I am looking forward to posting! I have been in central South Carolina all my life, but love to travel, and have very much enjoyed the Roadfood books. I even enjoy reading them at home, and dreaming!
I am a full-time wife and mom and part-time librarian, love to cook and try not to eat too much!
Most of my relatives are in the Southeast, so we don't go all that far when traveling--but do get some good eats! My in-laws are in southern Louisiana, so we get a good dose of Cajun food at least once a year and always spend some time in New Orleans along the way. My husband's brothers are all on the West Coast--Seattle and Los Angeles--so we try to get out there occasionally--but they usually prefer to join us in New Orleans--it's everyone's favorite town!
So glad to have found y'all!

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 12:07:13 (permalink)
Hey, welcome, Dixiebrave!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/27 10:10:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Hey Grampy,
I'm no chef but I think the process involving taking the loin (3/4 to 1 inch thick) pounding or running it through a cuber, dipping it in an egg mixture and frying in oil. Not to be confused with the dry, cardboard-like pork fritter that seems to show up on menus from time to time.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/27 10:53:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Hey Grampy,
I'm no chef but I think the process involving taking the loin (3/4 to 1 inch thick) pounding or running it through a cuber, dipping it in an egg mixture and frying in oil. Not to be confused with the dry, cardboard-like pork fritter that seems to show up on menus from time to time.

I agree. The thicker the piece of real pork tenderloin you start with and the longer you pound it, the bigger it gets. We have a restaurant in a suburb here that makes them as big as a dinner plate (no kidding). They get special-made huge buns for them and 2/3 of the tenderloin still hangs over the edge. The pork fritter is a ground-pork-and bread-crumb-mixture disaster.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 08:49:46 (permalink)
Hi New Roadfooders:

I'm Route 11. I live in Central Virginia. We have lots of cows and dead President's homes.

I met Jane and Michael at Altamont when the Dead played. I was a hippie, travelling the country in a converted school bus with ARlo Guthrie and HR Pufnstuf.

That's all a lie. Actually, I work in television news and try to keep my old car running. Right now I'm waiting on a cake to rise.

Lynne
glory_777
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 16:36:03 (permalink)
Hi there.

I am originally from Paterson New Jersey and lived there most of my life. My Husband is from Brooklyn originally since age 8. He moved here to New Jersey in the 1980s. Since we've been together, a number of years, my Husband has grown also fond of Paterson and the greater Northern New Jersey area ie. the places our family would "haunt" when we were kids, growing up:)My Hub. and I would often go to many of these places to eat now and then too,and when we were dating.

My first post here and greeting with questions will show you more about me/us and where I grew up and in relation to the food here too.
My Husband and I may be leaving Northern New Jersey after many years living here and growing up here, due to the extreme and unforgiving cost of living in the Greater NY area and limited opportunities fordecent jobs/housing. Of course, these eateries I mentioned are some we would miss:) If you'd like to know a bit more about me/us or my questions about some of the foods I guess you can find that on my other posts here:)We appreciate this forum though:) I saw quite a few posting here from North Carolina, this is where we may be moving. In my studies online I saw a place called "Jersey Mikes" have no idea about their food, but they seem pretty famous down there for subs("hoagies").

Have a nice day:)

glory77 & Hub.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 17:10:45 (permalink)
Jersey Mikes is pretty good...but if you can get the real thing from a good deli, go for it. I like their big grinders because they're the closest thing to home I can get in Virginia.

Lynne
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 18:27:29 (permalink)
Love this Site!

A born (1942), and raised, Chicago guy, with ventures to Phoenix, Annapolis Md, Cincinatti, Detroit, back to Chicago and, now in Denver.

Lot's of "Food Trips" and experiences to share.

Don
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 19:39:55 (permalink)
Don,
'42 was a good year.
Eclipse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 19:42:02 (permalink)
I'm Dave, and just joined up. I am currently in Santa Barbara after living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada for five years, and in San Francisco for 20 years before that. I like to experiment with new recipes, and just polished off a Pastel de Tres Leches which turned out pretty good. My biggest cooking problem right now is bread; I'm trying to get a good rustic loaf - not whole wheat - with chewy crust and strong holey crumb. I just got some King Arthur Bread Flour and am hoping that will do the trick.
KelseyDelsey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/02 15:13:48 (permalink)
Hi! I'm KelseyDelsey and I've lived in Los Angeles since the mid 1970s. I have been using the old "Road Food" book for several years so I was very pleased to find this website since my book is so out of date.

My husband and I love to travel, especially car trips around the U.S. but also have traveled extensively in Latin America. We are a bit adventurous and have survived bears in our cabin and 60' drops down waterfalls in a canoe. We also love to eat.

I'm a big baseball fan, major and minor league, and plan a trip a year around baseball and food. My husband, not a baseball fan, puts up with this for the ballpark food. Last year was N.C., this year is Ohio.

I was born in Seattle, grew up in Nebraska, lived for a time in San Francisco, but settled in L.A, where we live in a 100 year old house we have been renovating for the past 15 years just south of downtown L.A. We also are a foster home for Lab Rescue and have saved 28 Labs in the last 4 years.

I've just recently started posting on this site (my first time posting anywhere) and have already received some great referrals.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/02 15:19:17 (permalink)
Kelsey,
You've got a hobby that ties right into that of several of theposters here. Check the search button for baseball and I think you will find you have a common interest with a bunch of 'foodies'.
Welcome to all the new folks, Y'all come back y'hear.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 12:11:25 (permalink)
Kelsey - look up wanderingjews baseball threads - lots of good info and reviews from a roadfood purist.

Welcome everyone - look forward to reading more posts.
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 12:22:43 (permalink)
Hi, I'm a midwestern foodie. My husband and I do a fair amount of traveling, and we always try to stop at the good local places, especially the ones mentioned in Roadfood. I'm British, so my husband says I'll eat anything, "including airplanes". Not entirely true, but close enough. If we come across some good places that haven't been mentioned here, I'll be sure to post them.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1