Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2004/02/21 00:36:28
By special request I've decided to make this a "Sticky" thread.
I personally don't like to see a forum with a lot of stickies but a couple 3 or 4 are OK by me.

MikeS.

I have been reading some of the posts by the "new" posters, or posters who have been "lurking" and finally joining in. For the benefit of all, please tell us about yourselves, and join in the fun and joy of roadfooding!
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 02:50:44
I am a native of Georgia, but I have worked at jobs in several different states. I used to work with a woman from South Boston who was a big fan of “Gone with the Wind.” Sometimes she used to call me “Ashley Wilkes” as a good-natured insult. It used to amuse me, even though I knew it was a jab when I didn’t agree with some of her Southie attitudes.

Also, around the time that I was registering for Roadfood, I found out that one of my ancestors fought in the Confederate unit “Cobb’s Legion.” Ashley Wilkes was characterized in GWTW as a member of this regiment. Since I was looking for a Georgia related name for Roadfood, I thought Ashley Wilkes sounded like a good, screwy name for me.

I like to travel and have used the Roadfood books for almost twenty years. I have had many good meals on the road thanks to the Sterns.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 03:12:12
Hi I'm Glenn.....Everybody Say "Hi Glenn!" I am proud to be a Roadfooder, not only a Roadfooder but a Founding Member/Attendee of the first ever Roadfood Mini Convention! There are but a few of us that will ever be able to say that! It was held in Rancho Cucamonga California Sunday, February 1, 2004, at Woody's Bar-B-Que. I want to also welcome all the newcomers and hope that one day all of us can say together that we attended "The Biggest" Roadfooder Convention Ever! I Have Dream.....oops that's been used already. Sorry... Love To All, Big Glenn Long Beach California
Gypsy Bob
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 08:30:20
Hi, everyone! While I'm pretty new in the Roadfood forums, I've used the Sterns books for years while traveling around the country. (Actually, it should be "we", for while I'm the more computer-active one, Ann is equally enthusiastic about finding Roadfood eateries.)

For the past 32 years we've lived in southeastern North Carolina, on one of the barrier islands, and for the past 11 years have been doing a lot of traveling around the country in our motorhome, doing volunteer work with Habitat For Humanity, visiting family, and doing the "tourist thing". One of our general rules for traveling is that we eat two meals (usually breakfast and lunch) at "home", and go out for one, and when it comes time to make that foray into strange territory we always do careful research. Hence "Roadfood", "Backroad Buffets and Counry Cafes", "Eat Your Way Across the USA", and other guides, but we also keep our eyes open for new spots. We particularly enjoy meat-and-three places, places without tablecloths, and places with pickup trucks in the parking lot.

I'm a retired (well, semi-retired) clergyman, a full-time grandfather, and an inveterate traveler, hence the handle, "Gypsy Bob". Ann is an active watercolorist, gardener, and grandmother, and is also anxious to know what's over the next hill.

If any Roadfooders are headed up or down US 17 through eastern North Carolina, let us know and we'll have a mini-get together.
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 09:19:56
Hieveryone, I am one of those who have been "Lurking" around for a long time. And I must say I truly enjoy this website. I come from a very small town in the panhandle of Nebraska where I have lived for the past 29 years. My husband is a retired (at an early age) State Trooper, and I work for the County Attorney. We have one son who is a police officer, married with 3 children. Our oldest son works with handicapped people, he is divorced and has 2 children.

I grew up as an "Air Force Brat" and traveled all over the world, fondest memories are of the years we spent in Panama. I love eating out, but it's mostly when we travel, as there aren't many restaurants out here. I do enjoy reading all the comments in the forums, and feel that I am beginning to know you all! But gee, I wish I would become a hamburger!

Nebraska Woman
jellybear
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 10:11:19
Hi Every one!I live in Surf City N.C.a small little beach town just north of Wilmington.Ive been lurking on this board for sometime now and have to say this is one of my favorites.I have been a chef on the island for more than thirty years,we own a restaurant on the island that serves Italian and seafood and we have been in the biz for thirty years.I have two beautiful kids Savannah 6 and Johnny 16 months,my wife is Donna.I love to fish,surf aand head to the outer Banks when ever I get a chance.Im a big fan of N.C.BBQ the best in the world!I am also a big Jimmy Buffett fan so if there are any Parrot Heads out there let me hear from you!
hatteras04
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 10:21:42
Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker on this board who has recently started to post more often. I love this site for the great pictures and the advice given in the forums. I live in Columbus, OH and work at OSU Medical Center and I am a huge Buckeye football fan. I grew up in Bloomington, IN and went to school in central New York at Colgate University where I played college football for a brief time. Lucky for me, I was able to stay at the school even after I stopped playing. I vacation with my wife and my parents and sisters every year on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (hence my screen name).

I was taught by my father long tiem ago that the best thing to do when picking a restaurant is to avoid any place that advertises on tv. And when in doubt, look and see where the local cops hang out.

My wife and I eat out a lot. We both love trying to find little local joints and stay loyal to the good ones so they will stay open. We recently took a trip to Chicago and thanks to this site we found Tempo's cafe. Of the three mornings we were there, we ate there twice it was so good. I've never had a better omlette than the turkey and swiss one I had there.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself Lone Star. It's great to meet everyone.
ahmicchick
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 10:23:23
(Stands up, a little nervously)
Hi,

My name is Ahmicchick. I'm a first-timer. (Looks of encouragement and expectancy.)

...I'm addicted to food. (Heads nod in sympathy, all around the room. Everyone knows she's found her support group.)

I grew up in Toronto. Mom, I'm sorry, but your cooking was terrible! No seasoning. No oomph. In my own defense, I tried to learn on my own, with a little help from Gramma. I started out small, first packaged cake mixes, then chocolate chip cookies, then on to quiche and roasts and cake decorating... Then I went to college. Oh, cafeteria food, it was such a joy! Others looked at me in disdain as I revelled in the flavor, but I was so happy because I now had a consistent source of seasoned food. So what if there were nut shells in the brownies? So what if yesterday's dinner was today's soup? "Bring it on!"

But slowly, I began to appreciate better food. Through college, work, and travel, I met people who knew more than I did, and listened as they advised me. With Toronto at my disposal, I was able to experience some of the best food around, and slowly trained my tastebuds to demand better. And so my addiction grew....

--------------------------

But seriously, I can't keep this up. And isn't it getting annoying? Let me cut to the chase.

I moved to Auburn, AL 12 years ago, and went into severe culture shock! I knew nothing about football, and was so confused when everyone would get so excited about tailgating. "Tailgating??," I thought, "Isn't that following too closely in your car?" And the whole BBQ thing... people would openly laugh at me when I talked about barbecuing hot dogs and hamburgers! I've adapted and now use the term "grill" appropriately, and have even tried my hand at smoking pork and chicken. I've also learned that tailgating is FUN, and bringing a few Canadian staples along (Crown Royal and butter tarts) is an effort much appreciated by my Southern friends.

I'm married to the dearest man, he's the reason I have stayed in Auburn. We have two little ones, ages five and six.

These days, most of our traveling is done in the summer when we drive up to Columbus, Ohio (my husband's home town), on to Toronto, and then further north up to Ahmic Lake where we have a cottage (hence my "handle"). It's a wonderful way to escape the summer heat and humidity.

I'm delighted to have found this site, and greatly appreciate all the advice, discussions, and entertainment that you've all provided.
Grampy
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 11:08:41
Welcome everyone! I used to live under a bridge, exacting fees from unsuspecting passers-by, but Roadfood changed my life, and I hope it will change yours, too!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 13:56:42
Welcome indeed y'all! I too, along with BigGlenn was fortunate to be a member of the SoCal Mini Convention! What a hoot! A bunch of people that never met each other getting together for a BBQ lunch. But, ah yes, grasshopper, we all have the love of food! So of course we're all gonna be COOL.
It's a great forum and you can get tons of info here. Even if we do get off the subject ONCE IN AWHILE. (?) And Lone Star is right, pay no attention to that clothier guy or i95, we just let them rant and rave and be snarky.
Gypsy Bob
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 14:08:16
>>I have been a chef on the island for more than thirty years,we own a restaurant on the island that serves Italian and seafood and we have been in the biz for thirty years.<<

Jellybear, would this be the Soundside Restaurant? I tried to email you this question, but couldn't find your address!
Lone Star
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 23:43:41
jellybear and Gypsy Bob - two more chefs on our forum! (competition llechef???)

All are welcome, children! Let yourselves come into the light!
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 00:56:09
Greetings, everyone! I am from central Illinois, but on vacations I have driven over all of North America (even driving to Alaska), and as far south as Tikal in Guatemala, always trying to see the unusual spots. For 37 years (until I retired) I worked in a grocery store that specialized in gourmet and imported foods as well as groceries, and for most of that time I was in charge of the dairy and gourmet food departments. I have loved cooking ever since my days as a Boy Scout (about 50 years ago), and I have ALWAYS loved eating. I found this site when it was written up in Parade Magazine, and I have been reading it almost daily ever since. I am currently a Troop Committeeman for another Boy Scout troop, and about 3 years ago planned a 10-day trip for them to the Black Hills, where we saw and did 40 different things in the 10 days. Because of the tight schedule, we did no cooking, so we really had a good chance to sample roadfood in that area. As you probably can tell by now, I can be pretty long-winded, so I better quit while I am somewhat ahead. Have fun!
jellybear
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 09:42:42
Gypsy Bob,No I am not with Soundside,Although they are good friends of mine.I am located at the north end of the Island in the Villa Capriani Resort.My Email is Paliottis@Aol.com.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 10:07:44
I am Adjudicator; not a "lawyer"." /> I have been absent for a while but am back now. I drift in and out and post when I have time or see an interesting thread. Most of the regular posters know of me. Whether I post or not, I am always lurking.
Helen Maxwell
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 11:36:52
[bows] Hey, all. I adore food, and I lurked on these forums for months before finally joining up and beginning to post. [grin]

Lessee, as far as background goes, I graduated last May from Indiana University and these days I'm working while taking a class here and there and pondering grad school.

--Helen
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 12:25:34
Hi Helen ...and all others new and almost new to the forum. This is a fun place to be for sure. Yesterday 6 of us wandered around S W Tennessee for the day sampling the Que at several BBQ Stands and had a great time. It is amazing to me how a group of very 'different' folks can meet together for the first time and have a great 'casual meeting' as if were were long-time friends.
It sure worked for us...Twice now. What we also interesting is that the first stop on our tour yesterday was the best. Things tended to go downhill food-wise as the day progressed...until the last stop which brought us around again to Good 'Que.
I hope all of you, new/old, 1 post or 2000 will share your thoughts and make this place the comfortable 'zone' it has become.

BTW..The Tennessee Tour Group has votedlleechef as the member with the best...smile. The vote was taken after they reviewed my photo's of the SoCal gathering. Congratulations Lisa !!
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 18:25:39
Hi!
Yep, I've been lurking and just today decided to jump in-the-mix.
I'm in NC and found Roadfood looking for good places to get some real food. I can spend a lot of time visiting Roadfood and I'm always hungry when I leave. Today while reviewing the chicken fried steak postings it brought back wonderful memories of Sunday dinner and mom's steak, gravy and buttermilk biscuits. Yummm

Thanks for the memories!!
Scarlett
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 18:39:37
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Welcome everyone! I used to live under a bridge, exacting fees from unsuspecting passers-by, but Roadfood changed my life, and I hope it will change yours, too!

Grampy...Aren't you supposed to ask a riddle???

And welcome, everybody!!! Glad to have you here!!!!
albinoni
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 22:05:31
Hi all--

I'm Charlie--I'm in Plainfield, NJ, but until 5 years ago, I lived in Brooklyn for about 20 years--long enough ago to remember when it was really tough to get a good meal in that borough, but my, how things have changed. I still work there, and have seen the changes happen over the last 5 years--both the good (Smith Street, 5th Avenue) and the bad (losing Gage & Tollner, losing every good Jewish bakery in Flatbush, giving up hope of a good place ever opening in Brooklyn Heights). Jersey has its good places--we have found good and cheap Thai, airplane-hangar sized Asian markets, many paella mills in Newark and its suburbs, but . . .No matter--since we moved, we barbeque all the time, as soon as the snow melts.

We love food--we particularly love going anyplace Jane and Michael recommend--I have an old dogeared copy of Goodfood that used to come with us whereever we traveled, and we traveled a lot. This site is terrific--so is chowhound.com, which has a very active discussion board focusing mostly on the NY-NJ metropolitan area.

I bake--I've kept a sourdough starter going for over 20 years; I do lots of pies, and I'm starting to branch out into cakes and tortes. I also have to watch my weight, which I do by following the Body for Life program--keeps me on the straight and narrow, but also limits my forays into the wonderful world of food.

My ambition is to graduate from being a Junior Burger.
frognot
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 02:20:16
quote:
Originally posted by albinoni
My ambition is to graduate from being a Junior Burger.

Ditto.

My name is Charles. Not exactly sure how i ended up here; maybe a click in a BBQ site? Lifelong Texan from the north central end of the state. Watched quite a few of the small towns of my youth become suburbs in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro sprawl. Grew up on good country cooking and small town cafes. Believe the four food groups are BBQ, chili, Tex-Mex and CFS. Been a respiratory therapist since '78 (i started very young, before there were child labor laws in Texas).
Finding myself in west TN 2-3 times a year since my practice grandchildren, aka great-nieces, relocated there. Really enjoyed the west TN BBQ thread, in fact, i think TN BBQ might be how i landed here.

BTW, Frognot is the name of a very small town northeast of Dallas, TX. Always made me smile when i'd drive thru Frognot & thus have used it as a handle in various forums and games.

Dipstick
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 07:59:42
Welcome to all! It's great to see so many new folk on the site!

I'm Don, and have been posting here for about 6 months now. I hail from Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, 50 million misquitoes, 500 Lutheran lutefisk recipes, and no BBQ shacks. Worked in a number of resturants in my youth, none worth mentioning, but always had a great appreciation for a vast array of foods. My wife and I have two daughters ages 13 and 10, and I work as an explosives technician for a local defense contractor. That's why I think life is such a BLAST!!!
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 08:40:54
Welcome to all new posters,,im relatively new here myself, although i feel like im the pinkheaded stepchild sometimes in a giant disfunctional family. Check out all of our pictures in the misc forum and post your own! we like to see who we are talking too.....or do we?
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 13:38:32
Hi All - home sick today with a miserable cold, but I will go stir crazy if I sit on the couch anymore - so I decided to post. My hubby got me into this site (alesrus) - I think it all began with hot dogs. I grew up in East Rutherford, NJ home the NY Giants, about 10 minutes away from NYC. I have been in the trade show industry for many years, but since our marriage 3 years ago I've gotten away from it due to all the travelling and well...let's just say it's alot better to be single in that field. Miss it terribly though. I've been all over the country and got to do/see/eat many things I would never have done. Now that I've settled down we live further North in NJ- when we first moved it could have been Montana as far as I was concerned. I saw a chipmunk and thought it was the coolest thing ever (Bob will never let me live this down - they are as common as gnats around here) - have to say, though have grown to love "the country"-bears, wild turkeys, foxes and all I also love reading all your posts and the great commradery (spelling??) We go out alot also, our newest find: The Warwick Valley Winery in Warwick, NY - great wine, awesome fruit & cheese platter, "folksy" entertainment on the weekend and great scenery. A perfect weekend getaway. Looking forward being a part of the forums! Trying to post a picture of us, but have to read the thread where it tells me how to! Hopefully will follow....
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 14:21:52
If anyone is interested here we are [|)]

aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 14:34:08
http://www.geocities.com/wallacewebpages/page6.html?1077560399660

I tried to fix the link to work off the post, but it didn't take--- sorry. AL
MaryB
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 14:59:43
Hi I am Mary From Kansas. I don't post as much as I would like to due to work hours and stresses. I sure love to read all of the posts however, and I can tell that this group is such a fun bunch! I have lived in Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee and Montana. Kansas is now my home but not by choice. I live in a roadfood desert smack dab in the middle of the state. Sometimes, when I am having a really bad or stressful day, I pop in hear to read some of the acerbic wit from the regulars. The good part is that I am off to Hawaii for 10 days! I will come back with a tan and not all of the stress! My favorite foods are pad thai noodles, scallops and vietnamese food, none of which exist in my neck of the woods.
RHS RAM
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 15:00:37
I'm RHS RAM. I've been coming to this site for years and just recently started posting. I live in New Orleans (yeah I know-pretty lucky) and enjoy all the interaction on the various forums.
Check in a least once a day to see what's up. I've tried many of the places I've read about here and have usually gotten great results.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 15:04:13
Hi All.
My name is Erika. I live in Danbury, CT. Hubby and I are always looking for new places to eat especially in the Summer when we are on our motorcycles. Found this site while doing a recipe seach - I forget what for. Anyway, There were some very good recommnedations so I joined in with a few of my own. The rest is history I guess.

Ride to eat - eat to live - live to ride!
Shanie
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 16:03:29
Howdy! I'm originally from the Allentown PA area, and have lived in North Carolina since 1990. Currently, I'm in the western region (About 5 minutes from Caro-Mi... anyone for country ham?), near the SC border. I noticed a lot of Carolinians in this thread! :)

In the early 1990s, my aunt passed away and I discovered her enormous collection of Gourmet magazines, all in chronological order in sleeves by the year. I didn't care for the majority of the content, but I immediately became enamored with the Stern's articles!

I've lurked on here for a long time. As you can tell, I'm so shy...
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 17:27:19
Thank you Mr. Mayor- we're not that attractive anyway
acoustic blues
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/24 17:15:15
Hi everybody. Do a lot of lurking when I'm here and try to add something substantional when I can. This is a great place. I'm qualified to be here as I like to eat:). I like playing guitar especially Piedmont style blues. I hail from northeast Pa where we have PIZZA!.
AB
nanster
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/25 12:55:15
Hello. I'm in northern California. A few years back, I bought Square Meals and have loved the Sterns since
felix4067
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/25 13:23:28
I'm on the west side of Michigan, Grand Rapids area to be exact. I came here when a friend passed along the link, because he thought a good friend of mine was a member here...which completely threw me, since he passed away almost a year ago. Anyway, I had to register to look at the profile, so there you have it. Being that I've become a creature of message boards, it was pretty easy to start posting.

About me, a little. I've never worked in food service, preparation, or anything related to food. I just love to cook. I got my start moderating message boards in the Kitchen/Recipe sections of tech sites, and now there are several I frequent which have them. I only have time to moderate one board any more (used to do three), as well as serving as their news editor. I do ALL the cooking at my house (apparently drive-thru is the option if I'm busy), and I'm always experimenting...mostly with luck, sometimes not so much.

My job/career is as a professional union stagehand (yes, there's a union for that , my local is 110 years old this year, our International is 112). I serve as the Recording Secretary for my union local. I am also heavily involved with the AFL-CIO Union Label and Service Trades Council. I serve as the Financial Secretary for my local Union Label Coalition, and as a delegate, board member, and webmaster of the Michigan State Union Label Council. That will most likely branch out to even more political involvement and higher profile positions as time goes on.

I've never lived anywhere but West Michigan, but I travel extensively throughout the United States. I also travel throughout Michigan for work, so I get a fairly good amount of road food along the way.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/25 13:28:17
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

My job/career is as a professional union stagehand (yes, there's a union for that , my local is 110 years old this year, our International is 112).

IATSE, huh? I used to work on a permit in New Haven at the Shubert, and sometimes for ice shows at the Arena.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 03:33:21
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
IATSE, huh? I used to work on a permit in New Haven at the Shubert, and sometimes for ice shows at the Arena.

Yup, Local 26, West Michigan. I must say, it's VERY cool to have someone not only know what a stagehand is, but know the International. I know several people who have played New Haven, but I've never been there myself.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 07:58:18
Both of my sons are IASTE ex members by virtue of working rock shows at The Meadowlands in the 80s. I did a little volunteer organizing for the Seafarers International Union in my youth and have been a staunch union supporter supporter ever since. In fact, I helped lead the Poughkeepsie teachers out of the , then stodgy, NEA into the UFT
in 1965.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 08:25:17
Retired SEIU local board member---and grateful!
Unions--the folks that brought you the "Weekend"!

and---welcome abord everyone!!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 09:33:26

I'm Chicagostyledog. Born and raised in Chicago. Escaped to Wisconsin. PhD at HDU. www.hotdogu.com
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 09:46:23
quote:
Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Yup, Local 26, West Michigan. I must say, it's VERY cool to have someone not only know what a stagehand is, but know the International. I know several people who have played New Haven, but I've never been there myself.

One job given me during a run of the Ice Follies was to page the skating chimp backstage.
minilops
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 09:53:43
Hi,
Like those before me, I have "lurked" for awhile just enjoying reading all the forums.
I grew up in California, but have lived in Texas for many years now. My husband and I love to travel and of course eat!
Last summer we drove almost 4,000 miles on a "Roadfood" odyssey from Texas via Ok, Ks, Ne, into Wyoming (our destination), southern Mt and back home through Co. and NM. It was great with some good food along the way.
We both work in the field of entomology trying to find new and less toxic ways to get rid of pests.
This is a great site and I look forward to many Roadfood adventures in the future.
Allison
Lone Star
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 10:00:39
Welcome to everyone - look forward to reading more posts!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:05:58
Hi, Tristan here. I found this site through a link a couple of months ago and became hooked.I enjoy everyone's comments and I've learned so much about roadfood that I'm planning to take a roadtrip with my new found information shorty. As for me, I'm a metallurgical engineer in the auto industry. I grew up in central Indiana, went to Purdue, and spent the past 20+ years trying to find the best places to eat in the various places I've lived. I have been lucky to have lived in some wonderful locations for roadfood including Chicago, LA, SF, and Boston. I'm now back where I started in Indiana (home of a great pork tenderloin sandwich). Whenever I have something of interest concerning roadfood, I'll try to pass it on here.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:17:27
Hi, I'm Rhodes. Born in Ithaca NY, spent most of my life in Toronto (aside from a year in Southern France when I was a youngster and four years back in Ithaca at Cornell U), then just recently moved down to Dickerson MD to live with my sweetie (who I actually met in Ithaca when I was a student). I was in academia, English Lit., grad student and then university prof to be precise, for most of my twenties and early-mid thirties (with some forays into the professional food world as a line cook in a couple pubs), then left that universe to go into social services and worked as a food bank coordinator and then as a fundraiser for food banks for a few years. At the moment I'm doing some freelance editing and part-time tutoring, and this very morning I found out that I got another part-time job as volunteer coordinator at an agency in Frederick MD, so I am very happy
Grampy
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:17:29
Tristan: How do they make that pork tenderloin sandwich?
lisajocole
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:25:24
Hey there -

My name is Lisa and I, too, have been lurking this site for quite a while. My love of roadfood began as a child in the 'burbs of Detroit when my parents would take us to Windsor, Ontario, for Chinese food at the Flying Tiger. I thought it was so cool to go to another country just for lemon chicken, which was wonderful by the way! I lived for 20 years in Michigan, enjoying all the fabulous eats there, and have lived the past 20 years in sunny St. Pete, Florida - where grouper and cuban sandwiches rule (sorry you missed out on the cubans, Clothier!). I ran across the Stern's RF book in a Sal Army store years ago, and have been in love with them ever since. Funny how I hardly know my name some days, but can remember almost every meal eaten out since I was born! My grandparents are Hungarian on one side and from Tennessee and Mississippi on the other, so I grew up eating all kinds of awesome foodstuff. Glad to "meet" all the RF posters - I enjoy your insightful, funny and informative comments so much!

dixiebrave
Hamburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 11:52:54
Hi! I'm Dixiebrave--lifelong Southerner and faithful Atlanta Braves fan! I, too have been "lurking" for a couple of weeks - now I am looking forward to posting! I have been in central South Carolina all my life, but love to travel, and have very much enjoyed the Roadfood books. I even enjoy reading them at home, and dreaming!
I am a full-time wife and mom and part-time librarian, love to cook and try not to eat too much!
Most of my relatives are in the Southeast, so we don't go all that far when traveling--but do get some good eats! My in-laws are in southern Louisiana, so we get a good dose of Cajun food at least once a year and always spend some time in New Orleans along the way. My husband's brothers are all on the West Coast--Seattle and Los Angeles--so we try to get out there occasionally--but they usually prefer to join us in New Orleans--it's everyone's favorite town!
So glad to have found y'all!

Grampy
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/26 12:07:13
Hey, welcome, Dixiebrave!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/27 10:10:48
quote:

Hey Grampy,
I'm no chef but I think the process involving taking the loin (3/4 to 1 inch thick) pounding or running it through a cuber, dipping it in an egg mixture and frying in oil. Not to be confused with the dry, cardboard-like pork fritter that seems to show up on menus from time to time.
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/27 10:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

quote:

Hey Grampy,
I'm no chef but I think the process involving taking the loin (3/4 to 1 inch thick) pounding or running it through a cuber, dipping it in an egg mixture and frying in oil. Not to be confused with the dry, cardboard-like pork fritter that seems to show up on menus from time to time.

I agree. The thicker the piece of real pork tenderloin you start with and the longer you pound it, the bigger it gets. We have a restaurant in a suburb here that makes them as big as a dinner plate (no kidding). They get special-made huge buns for them and 2/3 of the tenderloin still hangs over the edge. The pork fritter is a ground-pork-and bread-crumb-mixture disaster.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 08:49:46
Hi New Roadfooders:

I'm Route 11. I live in Central Virginia. We have lots of cows and dead President's homes.

I met Jane and Michael at Altamont when the Dead played. I was a hippie, travelling the country in a converted school bus with ARlo Guthrie and HR Pufnstuf.

That's all a lie. Actually, I work in television news and try to keep my old car running. Right now I'm waiting on a cake to rise.

Lynne
glory_777
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 16:36:03
Hi there.

I am originally from Paterson New Jersey and lived there most of my life. My Husband is from Brooklyn originally since age 8. He moved here to New Jersey in the 1980s. Since we've been together, a number of years, my Husband has grown also fond of Paterson and the greater Northern New Jersey area ie. the places our family would "haunt" when we were kids, growing up:)My Hub. and I would often go to many of these places to eat now and then too,and when we were dating.

My first post here and greeting with questions will show you more about me/us and where I grew up and in relation to the food here too.
My Husband and I may be leaving Northern New Jersey after many years living here and growing up here, due to the extreme and unforgiving cost of living in the Greater NY area and limited opportunities fordecent jobs/housing. Of course, these eateries I mentioned are some we would miss:) If you'd like to know a bit more about me/us or my questions about some of the foods I guess you can find that on my other posts here:)We appreciate this forum though:) I saw quite a few posting here from North Carolina, this is where we may be moving. In my studies online I saw a place called "Jersey Mikes" have no idea about their food, but they seem pretty famous down there for subs("hoagies").

Have a nice day:)

glory77 & Hub.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 17:10:45
Jersey Mikes is pretty good...but if you can get the real thing from a good deli, go for it. I like their big grinders because they're the closest thing to home I can get in Virginia.

Lynne
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 18:27:29
Love this Site!

A born (1942), and raised, Chicago guy, with ventures to Phoenix, Annapolis Md, Cincinatti, Detroit, back to Chicago and, now in Denver.

Lot's of "Food Trips" and experiences to share.

Don
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 19:39:55
Don,
'42 was a good year.
Eclipse
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/28 19:42:02
I'm Dave, and just joined up. I am currently in Santa Barbara after living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada for five years, and in San Francisco for 20 years before that. I like to experiment with new recipes, and just polished off a Pastel de Tres Leches which turned out pretty good. My biggest cooking problem right now is bread; I'm trying to get a good rustic loaf - not whole wheat - with chewy crust and strong holey crumb. I just got some King Arthur Bread Flour and am hoping that will do the trick.
KelseyDelsey
Junior Burger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/02 15:13:48
Hi! I'm KelseyDelsey and I've lived in Los Angeles since the mid 1970s. I have been using the old "Road Food" book for several years so I was very pleased to find this website since my book is so out of date.

My husband and I love to travel, especially car trips around the U.S. but also have traveled extensively in Latin America. We are a bit adventurous and have survived bears in our cabin and 60' drops down waterfalls in a canoe. We also love to eat.

I'm a big baseball fan, major and minor league, and plan a trip a year around baseball and food. My husband, not a baseball fan, puts up with this for the ballpark food. Last year was N.C., this year is Ohio.

I was born in Seattle, grew up in Nebraska, lived for a time in San Francisco, but settled in L.A, where we live in a 100 year old house we have been renovating for the past 15 years just south of downtown L.A. We also are a foster home for Lab Rescue and have saved 28 Labs in the last 4 years.

I've just recently started posting on this site (my first time posting anywhere) and have already received some great referrals.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/02 15:19:17
Kelsey,
You've got a hobby that ties right into that of several of theposters here. Check the search button for baseball and I think you will find you have a common interest with a bunch of 'foodies'.
Welcome to all the new folks, Y'all come back y'hear.
Lone Star
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 12:11:25
Kelsey - look up wanderingjews baseball threads - lots of good info and reviews from a roadfood purist.

Welcome everyone - look forward to reading more posts.
jettababs
Cheeseburger
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/03/03 12:22:43
Hi, I'm a midwestern foodie. My husband and I do a fair amount of traveling, and we always try to stop at the good local places, especially the ones mentioned in Roadfood. I'm British, so my husband says I'll eat anything, "including airplanes". Not entirely true, but close enough. If we come across some good places that haven't been mentioned here, I'll be sure to post them.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16