Most unusual toppings????

Sirloin
2012/01/20 16:08:00
As many of you know by now, Pizza is my passion. I have talked about the many pies I've tried around the world in other threads on this site. I've had potato pizza in Rome...poached egg on a pizza in Florence...and things like 5 mushroom pizza, spinach pizza, brocolli rabe pizza, asparagas,artichoke heart...etc....etc. I loved a pie in Amsterdam with grated Edam and Gouda cheese. Still make it that way sometimes. Let's share experiences...Any unusual pies you've tried...and where!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 16:46:04
The first time I saw it I thought pineapple was highly "unusual".  Now, 30 years later, it is one of my favorites.

The same goes for the pork BBQ Mario's Pizza House (Arlington, VA) has as an available topping.  It rocks! 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 16:57:16
My friend and I had a  smoked provolone cheese and anchovie pizza  a couple of nights ago.  It was terrific.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 17:09:28
I  cannot believe it but I forgot this great pizza that we shared at Wolfgang Puck's in Orlando last month.  It was smoked salmon, cream cheese and chives and really good.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 17:14:02
I noticed a lot more pineapple pizza on the west coast.....not bad, especially if on quality dough....but not a favorite of mine. However the Pork barebcue and the Wolfgang Puck pie sound like keepers!!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 18:26:15
ConspiracyDog

Pesto sauce, diced roma tomatoes and pineapple.

Hold the pineapple, and I'll take one...Pesto pizza is delicious!! A pizza with lots of fresh basil leaves and sliced Mozzerela is to die for!!!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 18:31:29
Apricot dessert pizza that had canned apricot halves, brown sugar and butter.  It might have had marshmallow cream.  It was probably 30 years ago.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 19:37:25
I forgot dessert pizzas. There's a place in Toms River, New Jersey, called Tuscan House that has a menu of dessert pizzas.....nice idea. The one you had sounds great!
jman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 19:53:47
leethebard

ConspiracyDog

Hold the pineapple, and I'll take one...Pesto pizza is delicious!! A pizza with lots of fresh basil leaves and sliced Mozzerela is to die for!!!

I heard that Pizza Hut has a pizza with your name on it.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 20:02:18
When it comes to pizza, I'm a traditionalist.  Sauce, light cheese, herbs(basilico, origano), spices(S & P), finito!

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 20:45:42
Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut (the Happy Joe's Special) at Happy Joe's Pizza & Ice Cream (a midwestern chain with 49 stores in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri , North Dakota & Wisconsin).  http://www.happyjoes.com/
Delicious!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 21:04:19
jman

leethebard

ConspiracyDog

I heard that Pizza Hut has a pizza with your name on it.

I would bet it's poisoned...oh wait,their pizza is always poison!!
sk bob
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/20 23:04:46
Greymo

My friend and I had a  smoked provolone cheese and anchovie pizza  a couple of nights ago.  It was terrific.

OOOOHHH YYEEAAHH!!!!!!
now we're talkin'
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/21 00:11:49
I've been ordering a white pizza from a place in Culver City.  It has mounds of ricotta on top and lots of Parmesan.  There is probably one or two other cheeses on it and good olive oil.

Once I get it I add lots of garlic powder and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/21 02:24:04
There is a place called Decarlos in West Virginia where the toppings are not unusual  but the way they are added is....ie  the pepperoni is thrown on after the pizza ( another odd thing, it is little squares) are cooked..very strange stuff  
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/21 07:52:02
californyguy

There is a place called Decarlos in West Virginia where the toppings are not unusual  but the way they are added is....ie  the pepperoni is thrown on after the pizza ( another odd thing, it is little squares) are cooked..very strange stuff  

Might be an interesting idea for some things..but not others
bartl
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/21 13:08:26
leethebard  I loved a pie in Amsterdam with grated Edam and Gouda cheese. Still make it that way sometimes. Let's share experiences...Any unusual pies you've tried...and where!!

Going off topic a bit: When my family was living in Amsterdam in the late 60's, the only pizzeria in the city was in the Red Light District. Was that the one you went to?

Gouda cheese is rather interesting; in the Netherlands, it is sold at three ages. The young gouda is very much like mozzarella, the middle one is very much like cheddar, and the old one is very much like parmesan. I became quite fond of aged edam (kind of difficult to find in the United States) while I was there, but I wouldn't think of it going well on pizza.

Bart
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/21 16:51:49
bartl

leethebard  I loved a pie in Amsterdam with grated Edam and Gouda cheese. Still make it that way sometimes. Let's share experiences...Any unusual pies you've tried...and where!!

Going off topic a bit: When my family was living in Amsterdam in the late 60's, the only pizzeria in the city was in the Red Light District. Was that the one you went to?

Gouda cheese is rather interesting; in the Netherlands, it is sold at three ages. The young gouda is very much like mozzarella, the middle one is very much like cheddar, and the old one is very much like parmesan. I became quite fond of aged edam (kind of difficult to find in the United States) while I was there, but I wouldn't think of it going well on pizza.

Bart

I don't remember exactly where...it was about 20 years ago...but it wasn't in the Red Light district...
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/21 21:21:47
If you're in the RI or SEMA area, a pizza with Portuguese Linguica or Chourico (pronounced Cho-rese) on it will keep you from ever enjoying pepperoni again! And you can sometimes find places that do small baby clams (usually hard-shelled) on a pie, but not my favorite way to eat them
dews
Junior Burger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/24 23:28:27
A Super Yooper. Whitefish and perch on a thick crust with a light alfredo sauce, thin sliced potatoes ( sorry rutabegas just dont work here ) , parmesian cheese and a little buffalo mozz. Washed down with half a dozen Molsen Ex. Life is worth living again, if the Wings win.
DawnT
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 01:19:25
Here in Miami, you can get an authenic "Cuban Pizza" like you would have gotten during pre-Castro Cuba up to the late 50's. It's a bit different then the Pizza's you'd be used to in the states from the crust,sauce, to the toppings that can include Chorizo, Picadillo, Shrimp, even Plantains. The cheese can be either a blend of Mozz and Gouda, Shredded Gouda, or Manchego.

I haven't been to any of the local places since the kids left the nest over 10 years ago, but Rey's and Montes de Oca used to be the big ones around here and I hear that there are upscale Cuban pizza places now on Miami Beach that have become popular.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 03:17:06
I'm with Rogo.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 09:12:29
Dawn, the Cuban pizza sounds interesting...well, except for the plantains.  What characteristics make the crust and sauce unique?

Brad
doggydaddy
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 12:27:38
FriedClamFanatic

If you're in the RI or SEMA area, a pizza with Portuguese Linguica or Chourico (pronounced Cho-rese) on it will keep you from ever enjoying pepperoni again! And you can sometimes find places that do small baby clams (usually hard-shelled) on a pie, but not my favorite way to eat them

Both of those sausages came to my mind when I saw the topic. Both are popular in S.F. and Hawaii, and as I have lived in both places, I miss their flavor.

mark

DawnT
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 12:39:02
The sauce as I remember had the unmistakable taste of a sofrito base used in just about anyting Cuban cooked in a pot.  You could see chunks of onion and green pepper in it with the same hints of cumin,garlic,bay leaf and oregano and spanish style tomato sauce.  The crust is very bready and chewy rather then a dense or crispy crust that you'd get with a strong/high protien dough and had a hint of cuban bread taste. I would assume lard is used in the dough along with HR or AP flour. It's been a while and I  haven't had one since about '99 and things may have changed with all of the health/PC issues.

post edited by DawnT - 2012/01/25 12:42:24
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 12:48:42
MetroplexJim

The first time I saw it I thought pineapple was highly "unusual".  Now, 30 years later, it is one of my favorites.

The same goes for the pork BBQ Mario's Pizza House (Arlington, VA) has as an available topping.  It rocks! 

Ahhhhh...Mario's. While sausage isn't so unusual.....Mario's puts an entire sausage patty on each square slice, kinda unusual. The BBQ pizza has a full scoop of pulled pork......My usual is plain or pepperoni though.

I've had pizza in Japan with canned corn as a topping.....that was unusual to me.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 13:04:50
I've seen poizza with corn niblets in the states. Rare though.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 18:01:30
FriedClamFanatic

In the early 80s I had a pizza in the Bay Area of CA with linguica on it,  it was one of the best pizzas I've ever had.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 19:54:45
Michael Hoffman
I'm with Rogo.

Unless I'm traveling across Connecticut ...Then I want a clam pie!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/25 19:58:33
joerogo

Michael Hoffman
I'm with Rogo.

Unless I'm traveling across Connecticut ...Then I want a clam pie!

Heck, I grew up eating at Frank Pepe's and I never did care for the clam pie.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/01/26 15:44:54
I don't like to get too unusual, probably the most non-traditional stuff I've put on a pizza are sopressata, bbq brisket or chicken. Nothing ridiculous. Regardless of the toppings, I love hot sauce like Tapatio on pizza.
carlton pierre
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/01 08:17:57
One of my favorite pizzas was at Orgasmica Pizza in San Francisco ( "we never fake it" is their motto").  The best there IMO was the one topped with refried beans which as I recall was a Brazilian style.  I make it at home now.
The other was from a pizzaria in Mason OH that had a mashed potato & butter topping with cheeses that was really awesome.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/01 10:21:02
Wow...mashed potato pizza...and I thought I'd thoughr of everything!!!!
brisketboy
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/01 10:36:36
I can't say I really enjoyed it but we had a pizza in High Wickham (UK) that had corn on it of all things.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/01 11:28:51
leethebard

Wow...mashed potato pizza...and I thought I'd thoughr of everything!!!!

I had that at a Pizzeria Uno here in town once. It wasn't that spectacular. But if done well, the concept is pretty appealing to me, just never thought to make it at home.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/01 15:42:03
As I've said above, my favorite unusual pie is a potato pie...in this case, thin french fries or potato chip size thin potstoes on dough with salt , pepper, olive oil and Rosemary...had i tin several locations in Italy...and strange as it sounds, delicious!
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/17 21:34:05
I don't think they are unusual at all, and would be a must at a true Italian joint, egg plant, sliced tomatoes. I also like dried tomatoes. Hard to find them though in commoner places. Also like cauliflower or artichoke.

Here in Pittsburgh, it's the pierogi pizza !!! Mashed potatos!

a lot of places here offer Brockley, but I don't like it on pizza.

Greg
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/02/19 09:14:46
brocolli???Lots of places have that in NYC/NJ!!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/19 04:48:06
BLT Pizza
Bake a crust. Let it cool. Spread with mayo. Add chopped tomatoes (seeded), shredded lettuce, and chopped bacon
porkbeaks
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/19 09:51:42
leethebard

As I've said above, my favorite unusual pie is a potato pie...in this case, thin french fries or potato chip size thin potstoes on dough with salt , pepper, olive oil and Rosemary...had i tin several locations in Italy...and strange as it sounds, delicious!

Here's an old pic that I may have posted before. It's very thin sliced Red Bliss potatoes (slightly blanched) and black olives (pretty poor distribution) on my regular crust. The unround shape is to make the most of my large rectangular Fibrament stone. Subsequent versions always include a bit of Rosemary due to leethebard's suggestion. It is indeed a very delicious topping for a white pizza.
http://i151.photobucket.c...lvvv/taterpizza003.jpg

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/19 15:09:27
That pie looks perfect, porkbeaks. Glad you enjoed the potato pie with rosemary. You don't see potato pies around much, but those who try it usually love it!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/20 00:36:16
My Bride makes a Veggie Appetizer pie.
Bakes a crust and lets it cool or uses a Boboli.
Spreads it with cream cheese that been seasoned. She uses seasoned salt but you could use most anything you like.
Covers the pie with raw veggies like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Sliced Mushrooms. Shredded Carrots, thin sliced Cukes, thin sliced Seeded Roma Tomatoes, Slicd Peppers or just any veggies you like.
Cuts in 3x3 or 4x4 squares and presents it as an appetizer tray. Always a big hit
Just had an inspiration!
You could do it with cream cheese and fresh fruit too!
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/20 00:38:47
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/20 18:38:58
There is a small local chain called Bishop's. They have a steak pizza where they do the usual steak, onion, peppers, mushrooms, etc. They put seasoned curly fries like Arby's on it. It's really good.

There's another place by me where they make a hoagie pizza. Regular pie topped with capicola, salami, pepperoni. After they take it out, they add lettuce, tomato, onion and hot peppers.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/28 00:21:52
What about Flammenkueche, an Alsatian kind of pizza, made on thin crust, cream, onions and bacon. (no tomato and often no cheese!) (Also known as onion tarts although it is served in small slices like pizza).
http://smittenkitchen.com...acon-onions-and-cream/
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/alsatian-pizza
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarte_flambée

I just had some in DB Moderne in NYC last week.
jackd418
Junior Burger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/05/28 07:50:19
I've had rattle snake,octopus and a bunch of strange stuff.still prefer good ole pepperoni and shrooms.lol .Cant forget the anchovies.yummmmm
post edited by jackd418 - 2012/05/28 07:52:33
RestaurantBiz
Junior Burger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/07/03 12:51:26
I forget where it was (somewhere in Los Angeles), but they offered lamb as a topping. Not super crazy, but pretty unique. I don't think I'd ever seen that before.
bwave
Cheeseburger
Re:Most unusual toppings???? 2012/07/03 15:47:19
A place around here has Peanut Butter & Jelly pizza.
For me, I never get a pizza with cheese.  It's Chicken, Onions and Sweet Peppers for me!