The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito

scrumptiouschef
  • Total Posts : 641
  • Reward points : 0
The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito - Thu, 01/26/12 2:52 PM
I’ve gotten some cold stares since I started this series. As I make my way around Austin I’ve taken to stopping at a lot of taco carts that I’ve never sampled. I ignore the posted menu and get down to business.
“Do you have desebrada?” The answer is almost always no, at which point I thank them, pivot and leave. This doesn’t exactly endear you to a taquera but I’ve been at wits end attempting to find this, seemingly, exotic taco filling.
Which is what leads me to Mi Ranchito, 15 miles south of my house in East Austin. The little taqueria is in a faded quick mart on a desolate stretch of lonely road in southeast Austin.
It’s a gem in spite of the fact they don’t make their own tortillas. I reckon all the energy of the kitchen is directed towards the salsas as they have ten or so of the best, most diverse ones in Austin all nestled on ice and in lexan pans for the patrons to serve themselves.
It feels good in the little tiny cafe. It’s hyper lighted and scrupulously clean. One wall is devoted to photos of the food on the menu. Thankfully the food you actually get bears little resemblance to the polaroid quality photos.
I’ve eaten here for years and know this to be a good source of desebrada and today’s version does not disappoint.
The plump portion of rich beef is carefully cooked into tender shreds. It’s been held in a broth spiked with a salty bouillon that veers close to having too much sodium. Close.
I go with four salsas, each receiving a tiny strip of taco real estate to set their flavor profile upon. All are good but one, brilliant red with thousands of tiny seeds, steals the show. It is hot, hot, hot. The perfect foil to the unctuous beef.
The tortilla is non descript which is unfortunate but in this case not a deal breaker.
This road to desebrada greatness is a hard one. It simply is not a common taco filling in Austin. I’ll venture to the hinterlands for the two final reviews. Something tells me unincorporated Travis County Texas could be a desebrada hot bed.

5200 E William Cannon Dr
Austin, Texas
(512) 632-9196
pic: http://chowpapi.com/wordp....8.6/wordpress/?p=1080

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7608
Re:The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito - Thu, 01/26/12 3:19 PM
Offering an opinion that might help with the cold stares.

This is the 5th writing on Desebrada Tacos in Austin. Maybe if they were all on the same thread, building on each other you'd get a better response.

Desebrada Tacos are some of my favorite.  I like when you can taste a hint of cumin and oregano in the brine.

I call them Slap Tacos.  I also think it's a great name for a taco truck or restaurant I'll never own.

Hold the tortillas... slap on the meat, slap on the onions, slap on the salsa... get slap happy!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9805
Re:The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito - Thu, 01/26/12 3:26 PM
mar-
I could be wrong, but I think the cold stares he mentions are from the people who run the taco trucks.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7608
Re:The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito - Thu, 01/26/12 3:38 PM
Uh Oh!  (He's a he?)

scrumptiouschef
  • Total Posts : 641
Re:The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito - Fri, 01/27/12 2:10 AM
I did mean from the taqueros, the cold stares that is.But thanks for checking out the post and if you're ever in Austin, Mi Ranchito is definitely worth a visit

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re:The State Of Desebrada Tacos In Austin Texas Part Five: Mi Ranchito - Fri, 01/27/12 10:00 AM
Given your description I guess I will have to drag my happy butt south of the Williamson/Travis county line cause there's nothing comes close to that here in G'town.