Tokyo!

Crew96
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Tokyo! - Tue, 02/7/12 11:11 PM
My wife and I will be in Tokyo next week. Neither of us have ever been and are wondering if there are any "Road Food" sites covering Tokyo. Or if you have ever traveled there, what would you recommend?

The city itself seems overwhelming, a few good spots to eat would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
Re:Tokyo! - Tue, 02/7/12 11:32 PM
Welcome Crew96!

Here is a cool blog about international street food. It includes a great 10 day report on Tokyo...

http://www.streetfood.com.au/

Have a good trip!

RodBangkok
  • Total Posts : 385
Re:Tokyo! - Wed, 02/8/12 8:08 AM
Well there is probably no greater culture shock than mid america to Japan, and especially Tokyo.  The city is too large to suggest any one place for you, as it will depend on where you are staying and your other activities.  My best advise is stay absolutely away from any hotel food, or large established foo foo restos.  Your absolute best bet is to ask where the local workers go after work or for breakfast and then put your ego in your back pocket and try anything and everything local.  I know most will stick with tours and pre programmed itineraries, but it is the worst way to see a new place.  It may seem quite daunting at first, but if its your only chance to visit take full advantage and explore on your own.  I recently saw this BBC special that may help you a bit about your visit.  Rick Stein made his first trip to Japan in this show and has some good advise, and perhaps some places you may try.  
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00794h0
Hope you have a good time, and oh remember your private space...that space that people give you when in a crowd is about 1 centimeter in Tokyo, so don't panic!

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1059
Re:Tokyo! - Wed, 02/8/12 9:05 AM
Rodbangkok's advise is particularly true on the trains, forget about private space.