Remember When... Catalogs in the mail

Cheeseburger
2012/02/09 07:10:51
Remember the day the new Sears catalog came, or your latest version of JC Whitney?  
Whats your favorite mail order catalog?
post edited by RodBangkok - 2012/02/09 07:12:49
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 09:20:03
When I was kid in the late 1950's and around 10 years old, my neighbors and I would spend an entire day looking at a Sears catalog. We looked at every page and whatever item started with the first letter of our names would be what we got. We got every issue of the catalog including the farm one. Now I like Plow and Hearth though I don't buy from them, and a few others that are similar.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 11:22:39
I still receive catalogs from B & H Photo, Summit Racing Equipment, and Jeg's Performance Auto Parts.

Of course, nothing beat the Christmas catalogs from Sears, JCP, etc.!

Brad
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 11:32:49
I still enjoy the Garden catalogs from Burpee, Parks etc.
We also get the JCP catalog but I think you have to pick that up in the store.

ken8038
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 12:16:04
I like the LL Bean and Woolrich catalogs, mainly because I still wear the type of clothes that I wore 40 years ago in college (flannel shirts, jeans, wool sweaters, all cotton dress and casual shirts, etc) and that's two best sources for them, based on quality and price.  
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 13:03:36
I remember as a kid poring through the Montgomery Ward catalog (especially before Christmas), and really, really wanting one of the two seater go-karts they had in the back.

I used to get Musician's Friend, JC Whitney, Cabela's, Bass Pro, and some other specialty music catalogs full of stuff I'd never be able to afford. Now I don't get any in the mail at all at home, and tons of tech stuff at work that goes right into the document safe to get shredded and recycled.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 13:46:36

The only "thick" catalog we get mailed to us is B&H Photo.  We also get the thick West Marine catalog, but have to pick it up at one of their stores.  Janet gets lots of the smaller catalogs in the mail all the time. ... LL Bean, Body Central, Victoria's Secret, Boston Proper, Express, and probbly a half-dozen others I can't think of.

Mailed catalogs are still very common.  It's just the thick ones that are a dying breed.

Glenn

easydoesit
Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 13:51:05
No one has mentioned, "You get to the harness section around July."  Does that need an explanation?

I always enjoyed the reproductions of the old Sears and or Monkey Wards catalogs from the very early 1900's.  You could buy ANYTHING from then then, from pocket pistols to whole houses.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 14:04:12
Loved the JC Whitney catalog. Well before I could drive I would look at that and see all the cool stuff I was going to do to my car when I got one.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 15:50:21
The January rush of Gardening catalogs are fun to check out.
I get updates from Bass Pro Shops and other Hunting outfits that I enjoy .
Lately, the Fall rush of "Italian swiss, and Wisconsin Cheeseman type foodie catalogs seem to have dried up. Sees Chocolate still sends out a very nice, but costly catalog that I have learned to resist.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 15:51:28
I got my first set of traps when I was 7 from the Sears and Roebuck catalog. My father ordered them for my big Christmas present. I made enough money with those six traps to be able to buy another dozen traps for the following season, as well as a great used two-wheeler. Nowadays I'm partial to the Bean hunting and fishing catalogs, the Orvis hunting and fishing catalogs, the ones from Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Taurus, Winchester, Browning, Remington, Brownell's, and a few others.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 16:06:01
Thankfully I'm young enough that I never had to use a catalog for anything other than reading!
DawnT
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 19:41:16
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Spiegel. Them and Sears used to be the wishbook catalogs. Not so much JCP that just never seemed to have anything interesting.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/09 20:47:58
King Arthur Flour...some great recipes in those.
J.B. Prince
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 01:56:56
Edmund's Scientific.  I think that's what it was called.  I could read it like a book, dreaming of the things that I wanted.... but never got.
easydoesit
Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 05:12:01
That was it and still is it, Mar.  They've been advertising right along in publications like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science.  You can google them and there is an offer for a free catalog at the bottom of the home page.

From the looks of the website, they've still got some pretty neat stuff.
porkbeaks
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 09:20:01
I enjoy looking through the Allen Brothers catalog. I can't afford to order from it but, like window shopping, it's fun. pb
cavandre
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 15:59:23
As a kid, I always looked forward the the Lionel Train catalog. It didn't come in the mail, it just appeared in toy stores sometime in the fall.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 17:49:20
As a kid I always looked forward to the new catalogs,  I would price out my new house furniture, and dream.

My favorite now is Vermont Country Store or a few other like them
Cosmos
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 22:07:33
Remember catalogs in the mail...I'm freakin' buried in them...waste of time, trees and ink...
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/10 22:18:22
Easydoesit... thanks for letting me know that Edmunds is still around.

I'd better not look!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/11 09:16:02
I remember with fondness those Sears, Roebuck & Co., J.C. Penney, and Montgomery Wards catalogs back when they were over 2" thick.  What entertainment for an 8 year old to peruse the women's underwear and swimsuit sections!

Now all we get are skinny things from N-M, Saks, Barney's, & Nordstrom - all full of "skinny things".
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/11 11:06:47
There's a great website that's scanning old Christmas catalogs on an ongoing basis:
http://www.wishbookweb.com/
I'd say Sears in its heyday was the Wal-Mart of its time, but they were much bigger than that - at one time or another they sold dogs, cars, houses...the first I'd heard of Vincent Price was his program of selling art through Sears.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/11 15:09:32
Easydoesit...

I needed my friend Ziggy the police force horse to give me the nod of the correct answer.
DawnT
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/11 19:09:09
I've been checking out this website for a few years. It's just amazing to scroll through the pages and see where we've come during the past 50 years. Not only is the magazine copy extremely sexist by today's standards, the products offered then were a CPSC nightmare and a personal injury attorney's wet dream.

Vince Macek

There's a great website that's scanning old Christmas catalogs on an ongoing basis:
I'd say Sears in its heyday was the Wal-Mart of its time, but they were much bigger than that - at one time or another they sold dogs, cars, houses...the first I'd heard of Vincent Price was his program of selling art through Sears.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/11 20:53:05
I also like the Sunset House Catalog...

So much that my first job was there.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/11 23:00:26
Vince Macek

How we looked forward to the Sears Christmas catalog every year, and how many times it was gone through and studied.

Thanks for that link!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/12 00:06:59
I was a Catalog Sales Store Manager with Sears from 1963 to 1966 in Punxsutawney PA & Warren PA. They were small stores with just a few appliances and TV's and a Catalog Order desk.
People would come in and we would create a hand written order and then one of my people would Teletype the order in to the Catalog Plant on Roosevelt Blvd in Philadelphia. They would pull and box up all the items for our store for that day in big totes and truck everything to us in bulk. My troops would sort everything and put the customers order together. Turnaround time-usually 3 days. We'd call the Customer and let them know their order was in. It was a fun business. Those stores, and there were thousands of them, and their Teletype machines went the way of the Dinosours! 
PS- When the Christmas Wishbook hit, all hell would break loose! 
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Remember When... Catalogs in the mail 2012/02/12 00:25:47
Like Sunset House that Mar mentioned above, Foster & Gallagher started as one of the smaller catalog houses in 1952 on Galena Road in Peoria as a gift catalog operation and gradually acquired other divisions (Michigan Bulb, Spring Hill Nurseries, Flower of the Month, Breck's, Walter Drake, The Popcorn Factory, Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts, HearthSong, Magic Cabin Dolls & Learn & Play among others).  It was sold in 1965, bought back by Foster's wife in 1975, and filed for bankruptcy in 2001.  At its peak it employed over 3000 people and had annual sales of close to $500 million.