What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents?

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
  • Reward points : 0
What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 9:59 AM
They sure as Hell don't clean the dishes!

It ain't the equipment; our dishwasher is one of those "high-tech" jobs that you almost need a stethoscope to hear running and it cleaned great with the "old" Cascade.  But, even with Jet-Dry and an extra rinse the "new" Cascade leaves a film on everything that only white vinegar removes.  And that gives me a pain where I sit.

I don't mind being "friendly to the environment" if "stuff works".  This phosphate-free crap does not.  I've checked Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, all the local groceries, Costco, & Sams and none of them sell the "old school" soap that actually works as intended.

Who does?

Or am I doing something wrong?

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 1:25 PM

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 2:21 PM
When they first came out with the environment friendly dishing washing detergent...

The shelves of stores here were quickly stripped of the old, nasty stuff that hurts our environment.... by the (I don't know the Politically correct name) cleaning women in this area.  They were buying all that they could find, because as was quoted somewhere...  they didn't like having to clean by hand that which was already washed in the dishwasher.  That wasn't a quote... my interpretation of what they said.

The new stuff is worthless!  I thought it was my dishwasher until I found out the problem.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5357
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 4:37 PM
Fortunately I have ~a 3 year supply of the old stuff.
Go to a paint or hardware store and buy TSP, tri-sodium phosphate. This is what was removed. Try adding a teaspoon and adjust from there.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 4:51 PM

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 7:20 PM
In my house the dishwasher has 2 arms that extend into the sink and 2 legs that support it during the wash cycle.  Years of exhaustive research have proven that the dishes get plenty clean regardless of the soap.

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3289
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 02/19/12 7:43 PM
ScreamingChicken

In my house the dishwasher has 2 arms that extend into the sink and 2 legs that support it during the wash cycle.  Years of exhaustive research have proven that the dishes get plenty clean regardless of the soap.

I have that same one at my house! Works like a charm every time!

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Mon, 02/20/12 9:59 AM
We use Seventh Generation which we get at Trader Joes but I have seen it elsewhere. WE also use Jet Dry. Our problem is that our town draws water from deep wells that are down in the limestone that this area is so rich in. Historically there are several old limestone quarries here that provided the limestone to rebuild Chicago after the "Great Fire" We have many beautiful limestone buildings in town but it sure plays havoc with our water! We have a filtation system on our drinking water.

MetroplexJim
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Mon, 02/20/12 1:21 PM
Solved my problem. 

I ordered "old school" Cascade through Amazon.com : got 6 of the "Costco/Sam's" huge (84 oz.) boxes for $60 including delivery. 

Of course I had to say that I would be using the product for "industrial purposes".

MetroplexJim
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 01/20/13 10:24 AM
Almost a year later, after doing at least one load a day, we have used only half of the $60 worth of "the old school stuff that works".

$$$ well spent!

starfire62
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Sun, 01/20/13 4:22 PM
what i do with mine is i use the crappy new stuff in the prewash and use the good cascade in the wash bin.works great.i'm able to buy my cascade at a local food wholesaler.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Mon, 01/21/13 10:59 AM
Whether you’re looking to save money or save the planet, folks have long wondered which is better: washing dishes by hand or using the dishwasher. It turns out, this question has been studied … in a lab … by fastidious German scientists!

Several years ago, researchers at the University of Bonn observed more than 100 people washing dishes, then crunched the data and compared how much water and electricity the humans used compared to the machines. The results? For the same amount of dishes, humans used an average of 27.2 gallons and 2.5 kWh of electricity, while energy-efficient dishwashers used about 4 gallons of water and 1.5 kWh. (The machines also got the dishes cleaner.)
http://www.recipe.com/blo...dishwasher-ten-things/
Also you might want to consider cooking your salmon in the dishwasher.
http://www.winexmagazine....eat/dishwasher-salmon/
Poaching fish in the dishwasher is a virtually foolproof way to shock your friends, prepare a succulent meal and do the dishes -- all at the same time. I've poached salmon in more than 100 dishwashers on three continents. There's never been a dull party.

felix4067
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Mon, 01/21/13 11:53 AM
I'm curious as to how humans use electricity to wash dishes. Were they counting people who have well water, thus causing the pump to run for them to get water? Or those who have an electric water heater? Because last I knew, unless I'm washing dishes at night and turn on a light, I don't use any electricity. I know this because more than once I have washed dishes when the power has been out.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Mon, 01/21/13 12:10 PM
I think it's using hot water either electric or its gas or butane equivalent.

felix4067
Re:What's up with those "envoronmenally-friendly" dishwasher detergents? - Mon, 01/21/13 12:18 PM
I guess that makes sense, once you throw in the gas or butane equivalent thing (even though that isn't electricity). Like I said, I've washed dishes (in hot water) when the power was out, so I know for a fact I wasn't using any electricity to do it.