Using POS at food trucks

RetailAid
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 1:21 PM
It's becoming more and more common amongst food truck owners. The software out there is mostly designed for restaurants and markets, but there's ways of customizing it for your needs.

Any questions?

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 1:46 PM
Are we talking point of sale?  I'm sorry this stuff is somewhat new to me....if it is point of sale, in what way are we talking about?

RetailAid
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 1:57 PM
Hi DJDAWG,

Yes we are talking about point of sale. I was addressing the issue that most of the food truck owners face when they want to use point of sale on their trucks. Getting orders, processing payments etc.. Basically running your entire operation through a computer.

Are you a food truck owner?

djdawg

Are we talking point of sale?  I'm sorry this stuff is somewhat new to me....if it is point of sale, in what way are we talking about?

Dragon Dog
  • Total Posts : 147
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 2:03 PM
Not sure what the point of your original post is (????). I'm assuming that you are trying to push a particular product to use in POS. Personally, I use Square and recommend it to everyone that I can. It's free to use, no monthly fee, no batch fee, no statement fee. The only fee is 2.75% if you swipe the customer's card or 3.15% if you type the card information in manually. I haven't found anything yet to beat that.

I don't have a food truck, I have a cart...but I have recommended square to people I know that have trucks.

Dragon.

RetailAid
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 2:37 PM
No, not trying to push any products here. Square is common despite the fact that people have swiping issues, it works out fine.

I was talking about POS solutions which are not for credit card processing, but restaurant/cafe software. There are different software in the market and we offer some of them. Because we've been receiving questions and requests about this issue, I wanted to help food truck owners by answering their questions.

We only operate in the NY area, so I wouldn't be able to sell anything to you. But would be happy to help if you have any questions.

Dragon Dog
  • Total Posts : 147
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 3:10 PM
RetailAid

No, not trying to push any products here. Square is common despite the fact that people have swiping issues, it works out fine.

I was talking about POS solutions which are not for credit card processing, but restaurant/cafe software. There are different software in the market and we offer some of them. Because we've been receiving questions and requests about this issue, I wanted to help food truck owners by answering their questions.

We only operate in the NY area, so I wouldn't be able to sell anything to you. But would be happy to help if you have any questions.

Ok...Now I see why your original post did not seem to make much sense. It didn't seem to going in any particular direction. When I first read it I could not understand what you were getting at. Now I see you're trying to help some people.

We (Hubby and I) don't own a truck (yet) just a cart, so we would have no need for a POS system. However, there are people who post here that DO have trucks and trailers. So...good luck, I hope you get to help a bunch of people!! Have a great day, and remember...when it gets too cold in NY (I'm originally from the NY/NJ area), it's almost ALWAYS nice and warm here in the Arizona Desert!

Dragon

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9527
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 4:03 PM
POS Systems have evolved from the cigar box you kept the money in and the notepad you kept to keep track of your inventory. Today, POS Systems are complete software packages usually tied into your cash registar or other info gathering device. Used to track from the simple to complex inventory systems, sales data, marketing data, acounting etc

Buck & Vi's
  • Total Posts : 822
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 6:46 PM
all i want is a screen to tap and it goes to another screen .the girls are complaining about my hand writing.LOL and i'm to old to do penmanship classes

stubby77
  • Total Posts : 491
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Wed, 02/29/12 6:58 PM
I am putting together a pos system now. I'm using Samba POS (www.sambapos.com/en/) which is free open source software. I'm setting it up on a laptop with a receipt printer, and then using an Android tablet to VNC into the laptop (that way I don't need to take up the counter space on a laptop, plus the tablet is touchscreen which the laptop is not). This has the added advantage that I can also run square on the same tablet, cutting down on the number of devices I have to handle.

DWags541
  • Total Posts : 174
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Thu, 03/1/12 2:13 AM
I think it would be cool to use an iPad as a "register/POS". You could use a legit cash box and open it manually. Would you really need a receipt print? Probably not. Pull the iPad out of your rig and refer back to your sales for book keeping.
Obviously there would have to be some kind of program out there that the iPad can run this kind of deal on. There probably is.
Since iPads and other tablets have a battery, its likely they wouldn't tax your electric system during normal daily use. That's pretty cool.

DWags541
  • Total Posts : 174
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Thu, 03/1/12 2:13 AM
I think it would be cool to use an iPad as a "register/POS". You could use a legit cash box and open it manually. Would you really need a receipt print? Probably not. Pull the iPad out of your rig and refer back to your sales for book keeping.
Obviously there would have to be some kind of program out there that the iPad can run this kind of deal on. There probably is.
Since iPads and other tablets have a battery, its likely they wouldn't tax your electric system during normal daily use. That's pretty cool.

stubby77
  • Total Posts : 491
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Thu, 03/1/12 11:01 AM
I need the receipt printer to print a "kitchen ticket" so that I know what I'm cooking. I run a full menu (12 specialty dogs plus build your own, 8 specialty burgers plus build your own, 13 different subs each of which customers can pick their own toppings, 5 salads, 7 breakfast items, and 7 snacks & sides. Not to mention 15 beverage choices. I could never, ever hope to get any orders correct without writing it AOL down, and having the POS system should go a LOT faster than my chickenscratch handwritten tickets!

RetailAid
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Thu, 03/1/12 11:53 AM
Another issue is the IRS started pushing food trucks to use POS and credit cards to be able to track the money they make.

We have a customer who owns 12 trucks and they had a hard time switching to POS system because of their complex menu and operating system. We offered them multiple solutions and gladly in the end we customized the system, got their credit card, kitchen and receipt printers going and they love it. When they have an issue, we offer phone support.

One software or just buying a tablet is not always the solution. It might sound more expensive in the beginning, but in the long run you'll save a lot of time and money by letting professionals handle this and get your system running smoothly.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9527
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Fri, 03/2/12 1:43 AM
The Bride & I went to a Coco's, a CA, NV, AZ Chain, for lunch today. http://cocosbakery.com/
Our waitress, a lady in her 60's, punched in our order on an iPad device of some kind. First time I had seen one in use!
She hit "Send" and it went to the kitchen and who knows where else! My guess would be to Menu Marketing Analysis, Inventory Control, Accounting, Sales Tracking, Food Cost Analysis, etc.  
Despite her age, she seemed to have no problem operating the thing. When we ask for a check, she handed us a register receipt size piece of paper that we took to the register.
<message edited by Foodbme on Fri, 03/2/12 1:47 AM>

Buck & Vi's
  • Total Posts : 822
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Fri, 03/2/12 7:47 AM
i'm looking for something like.. you touch the screen as they order.. then on a monitor say by the grill or whatever that order shows up when done and sent off it gets taken off the screen.. can anyone make sense outta that and carry it further??lol sorta like  i see at fast food joints and sorta ;like what your doin stubby but don't really need a kitchen ticket but .prob wouldn't hurt. at least they could read it.. we are hiring a part timer to do the window but ...........

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2012
Re:Using POS at food trucks - Fri, 03/2/12 8:59 AM
I think 'Cash Register' by Dale Harris is worth looking at. It is FREE and can be download, installed on your computer; then tested with by inputting a mock inventory & pricing.     ... It also, supports kitchen printers, scanner & card reader.

Touch screens are a function of the computer system and if an iPad can network wireless to the computer system, it should work to.    ... I've given the link to this free software before on the forum.   For carts & trucks set up the system on a laptop (mini lap) then used a hand scanner to enter orders from a pre-defined list of bar-codes.    ...

http://keyhut.com/indexpos.htm