Iditarod 2012

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
  • Reward points : 0
Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 3:56 PM
This certainly has nothing to do with food but the Iditarod is a passion of mine.  Tomorrow 66 mushers with each a team of 16 dogs will have the ceremonial start in Anchorage then go to Eagle River.  On Sunday, the re-start begins in Willow where they will attempt to make it to Nome.  1049 miles.  In the winter, in the snow, on the back of a sled, through the mountains, through the night, across the frozen Yukon River and many others.  For Alaskans, this is the REAL Super Bowl.  And the dogs are the champions.  Good luck to all the mushers and their precious dogs!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 4:01 PM
Is Sarah's Husband running this year?
How many miles can a team do in a day?
What's the Prize money?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 4:03 PM
What do you mean nothing to do with food? The dogs and the mushers have to eat.

So, who (musher) are you rooting for? And what time do we start watching the Anchorage start?

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 4:19 PM
Sarah's husband does not run the Iditarod, he runs the Iron Man Race which is on a snowmachine. 
A good team in good weather (meaning lots of snow on the trail but no blizzards) can do about 80 miles a day.  Those dogs sure love to run!
The prize is $50,000 plus a new Dodge truck. 

Of course I always root for DeeDee Jonrowe, she's a friend of mine.  One year she was in the lead, just a few miles from Nome when her whole team of dogs just sat down and said, "That's it.  We're finished."  Anything can happen in this race.  Libby Riddles was the first woman to win it in 1985 and last year John Baker was the first Native Alaskan (Eskimo) to win it.

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 785
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 5:31 PM
I have been agog at how much the times have improved in four decades. The first race was completed in twenty days in 1973; the 2011 race was won in 8 days, 19:46:39. I don't know of any other sport where performance has doubled within forty years.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 5:48 PM
I have a tee shirt I bought in Fairbanks years ago that says something about women winning the Ididarod. Have  to dig deep for that! We met Susan Butcher during our visit there.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6227
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/2/12 6:16 PM
One of my Iditarod caps. I get them when my sister-in-law goes up to Anchorage to visit her daughter during the Iditarod.

We got the Susan Butcher tour when we went to Fairbanks in 2001. We had breakfast at a restaurant where the ceremonial start took place when we were in Anchorage.

Foodbme
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 2:35 AM
I'm trying to learn more about the race. Tried to find the origin/definition of the word Iditarod. Learned the race is named after the 1100 mile Iditarod trail that runs from Anchorage to Nome but not the actual definition of the word itself. I assume it is a Native Alaskan Name that stands for something??????
Like "Long Ass way from Anchorage to Nome" or something.

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 4:27 AM
I looked it up and could not find an exact definition of the word "Iditarod".  That trail had apparently been used by Inupiat and Athabascan natives before the Russians even landed and began fur trading.

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 4:36 AM
Davydd, I am impressed about your knowledge of Iditarod!

Davydd
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 11:42 AM
Hey, I read the Dana Stabenow mysteries.

We are driving to Alaska this summer in our RV. We are allowing at least two months for the trip so probably will get around most of Alaska that has paved roads.

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 1:51 PM
If you get a chance, stop in at Chilkoot Charlie's in Spenard (Anchorage suburb).  When I lived in Alaska in the mid '70s (the pipeline years), that was a wild place.  One Friday evening my friends and I were sitting at a table next to the wall when a beer bottle came flying past my head and smashed against the wall, sending shards of glass all over us and into our glasses of beer and all over the table.

Just a typical night at Chilkoot's.  The best thing was the bottle was not aimed at me, but at some guy at the bar, who ducked.  I didn't have to get up and fight, and they were at it with fists already.

Let me know if they're still crazy after all these years.

easydoesit
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 1:58 PM
But I also lived for a while in Valdez, the southern end of the pipeline.  One day in a bar there a real drunk Eskimo guy came up to me and wanted to "break arms."  I didn't know what he meant, and had to learn later that it is an Eskimo wrestling game.

I am a tall guy, and was bigger in those days than I am now, and I think he just picked the biggest guy in the room.   I'm pretty sure the wrestling would have turned into a fight, but his friends grabbed him and dragged him away before anything bad happened.  

You never knew what was next up there.

easydoesit
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 2:17 PM
lleechef, with your occupation and your time up there, I bet you have heard of the Garden of Eatin', which was nothing more than a beat up old quonset hut that was famous for the serving the best steaks in Alaska.  We went there often, and loved it.  The food was great, and like many other places in Alaska, there were the millionaires sitting next to the regular folks, and no one could tell the difference, or cared to.

How about Peggy's cafe on Fifth Street?  One morning I was in there having breakfast, when this friendly and talkative fellow came in and say down next to me.  He started a conversation, and was a great guy, but honestly he was distracting me from my meal and I was wanting to eat in peace.  So he said something to the waitress, and she said, "Oh, you're always joking, Mr Egan."  I looked!  And sure enough, it was Bill Egan, former governor of Alaska, sitting down at a counter stool and jawboning with his neighbor just like anyone else.  That was Alaska too.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 4:29 PM
I can't visualize my Scotties making that run !!!

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/3/12 5:17 PM
easydoesit, yep, that is Alaska.  You can be next to the senator or the governor and it's just like anybody else.  I was on a flight to Seattle and was next to Ted Stevens.....in coach!
Go mushers and the dogs!

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/4/12 7:24 PM
And they're off!  We were watching the race coverage on the computer.....those dogs are going crazy, jumping all around and barking and howling.....they cannot wait to get out on the trail and RUN!  Temp. in Willow this afternoon was 5 with blue skies and sunshine.  Perfect for the mushers and dogs. 

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6100
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/4/12 9:51 PM
I was going to enter the Iditerod race this year, then I woke up! Lord, amazing folks doing that!

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Mon, 03/5/12 2:38 AM
Yes, they are amazing folks that run the Iditarod with their dogs.  Just imagine going through the Alaska Range with the Northern Lights out.........beautiful.

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/11/12 9:37 AM
Race update.  Aliy Zirkle is in first place.  She checked out of Kaltag and is on her way to the Bering Sea village of Unalakleet.  She's 3 1/2 hours ahead of John Baker, last year's winner.  Aliy has a good chance of being the first woman to win the Iditarod since Susan Butcher's 1990 win.  Temp in Unalakleet is -15.
<message edited by lleechef on Sun, 03/11/12 9:42 AM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/11/12 9:44 AM
Go Aliy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/11/12 2:25 PM
easydoesit

If you get a chance, stop in at Chilkoot Charlie's in Spenard (Anchorage suburb).  When I lived in Alaska in the mid '70s (the pipeline years), that was a wild place.  One Friday evening my friends and I were sitting at a table next to the wall when a beer bottle came flying past my head and smashed against the wall, sending shards of glass all over us and into our glasses of beer and all over the table.

Just a typical night at Chilkoot's.  The best thing was the bottle was not aimed at me, but at some guy at the bar, who ducked.  I didn't have to get up and fight, and they were at it with fists already.

Let me know if they're still crazy after all these years.

funny, when i lived there in the early 80's, i lived 2 blocks away. that was my hang out for about 5 years. still miss the place. lots of good times at chilkoots. atleast thats what i was told. lol

Davydd
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/11/12 5:03 PM
One place I do want to re-visit is Talkeetna. It was the model for the fictional town of Cicely in the TV series Northern Exposure which, BTW, was shot in Roslyn, Washington. We were there when they were shooting the scene of Maggie talking to her dog on the front porch thinking the dog was her reincarnated boyfriend. Maggie's house in the show was suppose to be out in the country but was actually just around the corner of the painted building mural the moose walks by in the opening scene which is on the main street of Roslyn. Would you believe the same day we stopped Roslyn I had cherry pie in the diner they used for the TV show, Twin Peaks, in North Bend, WA.

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/11/12 6:49 PM
Michael and I were watching something on TV the other night and then it went to Talkeetna and I said, "Oh, they're going to do a thing about the Talkeetna Roadhouse."  Sure enough.  Those famous flapjacks.  I really do like Talkeetna, have flown out of there several times to go up and see Denali and once to land on the Ruth Glacier.
Iditarod is getting closer and closer with three mushers all within about 40 mins. of each other.  We'll see who pulls ahead when they get to White Mountain! 

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sun, 03/11/12 11:18 PM
It really is easy to run into all types in Alaska. remember going to a place in Anchorage for breakfast and the guy cooking it turned out to be former Anchorage Mayor and Alaska governor Tony Knowles.
    And i remember a great T-Shirt in Fairbanks in 1997"Welcome to Alaska where men are men and women win the Iditarod"

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Mon, 03/12/12 8:52 AM
if anyone is going there in the warm months, be sure and go to the downtown weekend market. my uncle owns and runs it. i think around 600 made in Alaska vendors plus a bunch of food vendors.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Mon, 03/12/12 10:10 AM
mr chips

It really is easy to run into all types in Alaska. remember going to a place in Anchorage for breakfast and the guy cooking it turned out to be former Anchorage Mayor and Alaska governor Tony Knowles.
  And i remember a great T-Shirt in Fairbanks in 1997"Welcome to Alaska where men are men and women win the Iditarod"

Thanks Mr Chips! This is the tee shirt I have and was trying to find! We took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks in the 1990's. I don't know if you still can but then we'd go through wilderness locations on the train and would sometimes stop  to pick up people (and their dogs at times) to take them to "town"  When we got to Talkeetna 2 climbing parties got off with a ton of gear to make their accents to Denali. We were blessed with perfect weather and saw the peak of Denali almost every day including one day in Anchorage. We spent 3 days in Denali and because it was mid May, were treated to amazing animal views before many head up to tghe high country. It was cool to see whole herds of caribou.

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Tue, 03/13/12 10:20 AM
The top two mushers, Dallas Seavey and Aliy Zirkle are into White Mountain where all teams must take a manditory 8 hour stop.  Dallas is 90 mins. ahead of Aliy.  It's only 77 miles to Nome and it looks like once out on the trail, Dallas will probably win this one, making Iditarod history as the youngest musher ever to win.  He is 25.  His father and grandfather are also in the race which is pretty cool. 
kennyb
I love the downtown market!!  My friend Susan and I would go every Saturday!

Foodbme
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Wed, 03/14/12 2:27 AM
Can you imagine how much money the 3 Seavey's spend on Dogfood!!!!! 

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Wed, 03/14/12 8:54 AM
Iditarod 2012 is over and the winner is Dallas Seavey!  Aliy came in 2nd and it looks like Dallas' father Mitch will finish in 7th place.  Dallas did the 975-mile run in 9 days, 4 hours and 26 minutes thus becoming the youngest person to win the Iditarod.

lleechef
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Fri, 03/16/12 6:31 PM
Martin Buser (4-time Iditarod champion) and his son Rohn pulled into Nome nose to nose (the dog's noses).  They officially list Rohn as being in 18th place and Martin in 19th.  They were one second apart.  The Red Lantern still hasn't been brought in yet.  (Last musher into Nome has to bring in the red lantern........it's an Iditarod tradition).

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:Iditarod 2012 - Sat, 03/17/12 6:56 PM

2013 is just around the corner.