Nervous about Tornadoes

Sirloin
2012/03/02 17:15:47
I'm watching on TV and hearing about a town in Indiana, Marysville being completely wiped out from a tornado. In checking the map Marysville is just north of Louisville, KY and and if you draw a projected path line across the state it looks as if the Mayor and CajunKing could be in or near the path. I hope all is well with them.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 17:25:38
The thing with tornadoes is they don't follow patterns like that, really. A mile-long path is pretty long for one to stay on the ground, plus they're hit or miss, often taking one house while leaving the house next door (or the garage) absolutely intact.

Not that they aren't in the projected storm path, and that we shouldn't worry about them (I am, too), but tornadoes are the ultimate crap shoot for weather damage.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 17:34:37

Davy,
  Thank you for your concern. We are well and safe and watching the post-storm blue-sky. It was pretty intense for a couple of hours but we suffered no damage beyond some tree limbs down and a bird house blown off one of our trees and into a neighbors yard.
  A few miles to the north of us the 1/2 mile wide Tornado you mentioned has caused major damage in some of the small towns about 15 miles north and northeast of Louisville.--Henryville (birthplace of Col. Harlan Sanders), Marysville, Chelsea are all in a path that tracked NE  across the area near I-65. News crews are just reaching the area and getting video out to the TV stations...but they have 6 reported dead and uncounted missing at this point...less than 2 hours from the touchdown.
  South of Louisville has also seen a series of Tornados...not as large as the first one, but still doing damage in the Fort Knox and E-town and east from there.  Owensboro,KY had a funnel cloud touch down in the downtown area this afternoon, damge reports are not making it onto our local coverage, but are said to be severe.
More will follow...DON  are you on line??? C K is located near the Ohio/KY/Indiana corner and should have some news for us soon
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 17:40:27
Crazy winter..................... we are now getting a blizzard after little snow all winter. 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 18:06:25
Glad to hear that you're okay.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 18:07:31
felix4067

The thing with tornadoes is they don't follow patterns like that, really. A mile-long path is pretty long for one to stay on the ground, plus they're hit or miss, often taking one house while leaving the house next door (or the garage) absolutely intact.

I think the folks from Joplin, MO might disagree with you on that. Yes, the typical tornado might behave as you describe but I think we are talking about some monster tornadoes today. I know in 1965 tornadoes ripped through Indiana and there was one with over a one mile wide path of destruction over 200 miles long.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 18:08:56
Al, It is good to hear you are safe.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 18:17:48
I drove through Joplin last June, a few weeks after their horror.

It looked like someone took a huge lawnmower and pushed it through the town leaving perfect homes on the sides of its straight path.  It was the worst thing I've ever seen.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 18:18:04
We have been dodging therm all day.  Several have hit within a few miles of me.  I got a pic of one coming down just west of me.  We have one approaching now.  I hope it misses me as I had one hit my property seven years ago and wiped out 21 trees and we lost power for seven days.  My trees blocked the street for three days.  I live on a peninsula and no one could get out.  That one cost me 17,000 dollars as the trees did not hit my residence and insurance would not cover the expense of removal.  The trees were vital for my property as they provided noise abatement and erosion control.  Many of my neighbors have already suffered major damage and so far I am safe but maybe not for long.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 18:37:27
Keep safe!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 19:08:59
Roadfood folks, it is crazy around Knoxville, Major hail stones the size of baseballs falling everywhere around me. Tornadoes everywhere and houses and trees down and power out everywhere.  So far it has missed me by two blocks.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
post edited by Sundancer7 - 2012/03/02 19:16:32
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 20:13:30
Came checking on you Mr Mayor, glad you're OK.  Now Sundancer you stay safe!  Same to all your Roadfooders out there in the path of this monster storm!

That old OCDreamr
Karen W.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 21:47:13
We're watching this on The Weather Channel - the damage is horrible.  We lucked out yet again and the storms didn't fire up until they were to our east.  We've had virtually no winter - one can only wonder what spring and summer will bring.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/02 22:41:17
Davydd

felix4067

I think the folks from Joplin, MO might disagree with you on that. Yes, the typical tornado might behave as you describe but I think we are talking about some monster tornadoes today. I know in 1965 tornadoes ripped through Indiana and there was one with over a one mile wide path of destruction over 200 miles long.

I stand corrected. Thank you.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/03 02:06:36
The Weather Channel reports the Nation saw A Month's Worth of Tornadoes in 1 Day
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/03 03:14:33
Mayor & Sundancer, y'all duck and cover.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/03 09:51:46
We survived with power out, limbs and trees down all over the neighborhood.  Our surrounding towns did not fare well at all.  Tornado's all over Knoxpatch.  I have my lawn guy coming by today to mow.  He will spend a good portion of his time clearing the property before he can mow.  He was going to till the garden for me but it is way too wet for that.

Super lightning display with mega thunder and hail for the third time today.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/06 08:01:24
 One of the giant  "Mega-Churches" in Louisville has a retreat center on the edge of Henryville. It can sleep over 300 and feed over a thousand people. They have turned it into a relief center housing both victims and volunteer workers helping in the area. The also provide needed supplies and food items to those in the are who are unable to obtain those items elsewhere.

We have delivered two large boxes of some of my 'slightly used' clothing to the relief center set up for the Henryville and Marysville victims to that relief center. While boxes of used clothing doesn't seem like a big deal, the lady who took our delivery was very kind in telling us how much they needed clothing for "Big Men", as most of the items they were receiving were women's and childrens clothing.

So if you are watching the News broadcast from that area and see a big guy in a Moonlite BBQ, or Fat Matt's Rib Shack, or Blacks BBQ shirt, You can probably guess the source !!!!

Another note--
   Friday evening when the storms hit it was close to 80 degrees and right after the storms we had bright skies and a beautiful sunset.  Less than 48 hours later we had 6 inches of snow and temps in the 20's with single digit wind-chills.  Here is my back deck at sunrise on Monday morning..Quite a difference from the Friday scene.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/06 09:02:44
The weather patterns have gotten really crazy!
Maybe Al Gore is on to something!
porkbeaks
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/06 10:07:44
Foodbme

The weather patterns have gotten really crazy!
Maybe Al Gore is on to something!

A lot of folks think that the H.A.A.R.P (High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program) may have something to do with what's going on with the weather. Google will provide you with more info than you can handle and YouTube has a bunch of videos. Some of these sources are a bit "over the top" but, if you use some common sense, you will come away with the knowledge that HAARP does truly exist and the potential for weather manipulation is there. pb

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/06 14:14:56
Porkbeaks-  Is H A A R P the formal name for the "Mile-High-Club" ??? 

If so, then some of our 'frequent fliers' are probably acquainted with the organization, or at least a few of it's more attractive members ???
What say you TTM-WJ-BB ??
post edited by mayor al - 2012/03/07 10:38:45
porkbeaks
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/07 08:43:03
mayor al

Porkbeaks-  Is H A A R P the formal name for the "Mile-High-Club" ??? 

If so, then some of our 'frequent fliers' are probably acquainted with the organization, or at least a few of it's more attractive members ???
What say you TTM-WJ-BB ??

That's very funny, but I was being totally serious. pb

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/07 10:38:10
OK, I'll retract the joke so as not to misleasd the group of your intentions...
AL
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/07 13:40:49
The idea of having a Tornado hit is far more frightening to me than having an Earthquake. Been in plenty of quakes from my Ca. years, had one here last August, I think it was, fairly strong, I didn't even give it a second thought.
Now high winds bother me...gettin old I guess!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/08 07:20:24
Living here in North Texas on the southern edge of "tornado alley" does make me extremely nervous - especially as my home, like most "down here", does not have a basement.
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/08 09:28:27
My in-laws live in far north-central Arkansas (north of Mtn. Home) and their home is built partially into a hillside.  While they don't have a true basement they do have a windowless, reinforced "tornado room".

Fortunately they've never had to deal with a true tornado but a few years back the house suffered some moderate damage from straight-line winds.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/10 19:07:18
Hello all
Today ,my wife, 6yr old daughter and I drove less then 14 miles to Borden Ind and New Pekin, The tornado destroyed all structures and trees in a large area next to HWY 60.I was going to take pictures and post them here but I felt like it would of been DISRESPECTFUL. At the end of Voyles road the Indiana State Police were turning sightseers away. I had a sick feeling in my gut, I tried to volunteer but I missed the sign up do to my work schedule.I work with steel for a living and could not believe the steel supports and I-beams were TWISTED like a corkscrew, overturned farm equipment and other large vehicles(school buses and heavy trucks).
Today most of the workers were burning lumber and brush and very large trees.

I hope  i never ever get the opportunity to see such a sight again!!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/11 11:11:41
Uncle Groucho,
   We feel your pain. We have done some volunteer work at a local (Lanesville) church, sizing, folding, and packing clothing, food, and paper products into shipping boxes ready for distribution by the major relief agencies that do work in the disaster area. A cash donation to the Salvation Army was another part of our efforts. It seems so small when you look at the immense size of the disaster, but if each person does a little, maybe we can really help the folks hit by this tragedy, to rebuild and recover.
AL
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Nervous about Tornadoes 2012/03/27 11:37:57
The tornadoes of 3-2-2012 went west and south of us here

the oddball tornado that leveled the little town of holton is about 24 miles west.  Glenda has family that lives there, they are all ok, and only some minor damage to some of the out buildings.

The tornadoes that long tracked from New Pekin to Henryville into Northern KY through Piner, KY and into Moscow, OH were about 28 miles to the south of us.

I was out side watching the weather and witnessed insulation falling like snow from the sky, and a piece of corragated tin floating up in the air.  Several neighbors found items with Louisville addresses and phone numbers in their yards the next day.

A local conservation officer's parents were killed in the henryville storm, and the next day 90+ miles away people in the northside of cincinnati were finding cancelled checks from what was left of their home.

My local lions club donated $5000 to the relief efforts in Holton and several of us have been out there a couple of times to do what we can.

It is humbling to think of what little control we have over such things, I have been through hurricanes and tornadoes, and the hopeless feeling you get knowing there is not a durn thing you can do but to protect yourself and family, and let the almighty do what he wants.

One of the stories out of the devastation that got my attention

The gentleman got his family to the basement of their house, as the storm bore down on them, he said, he prayed to keep his family safe, take the house and everything else but keep his family safe.

The storm directly hit his house and swiped it clean from the foundation, no studs were left only the floor joists and hardwood flooring.  His family emerged from the basement, unharmed,  the house, garage, cars all thier belongings gone, no trace of them what so ever, but the family was left unharmed.

Uncle Groucho

I visited some friends in the new pekin area after the storm, there was a whole stretch of pavement ripped from the ground.  I saw what was a HUGE sawmill with TONS of logs stacked everywhere.  The buildings were gone and the logs looked like a child dumped a can of lincoln logs all over the area.

Mother Nature is amazing and terrifying