Ga Pig Closes

beteez
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
Ga Pig Closes - Wed, 03/7/12 11:05 PM
The Ga Pig has closed & will reopen soon as the 2nd outpost od Southern Soul Barbecue which will be a treat for all of the touristas cruising down 95

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 10:52 AM
beteez-
I have never heard of Southern Soul Barbecue before and you seem to be a fan.  Can you tell us more about them?  What type of 'que do they serve?

beteez
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 1:27 PM

Glenn1234
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 2:49 PM

Southern Soul looks good.  But, what was the deal with the story about GA Pig becoming a gas station ?  ... I thought it was supposed to become a gas station?  Will it become both a gas station and a BBQ joint all-in-one?  
Also, when is Southern Soul supposed to open at that location? 

Thanks.

Glenn

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 3:55 PM
Well I would give that place a try, though it might be a little too sweet.

beteez
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 6:11 PM
They say 1st of April they will be opening, The pulled pork is great esp with the SC mustard sauce or red wine swine vinegar sauce. The ribs are not as sweet as they would seem watching this clip. At the original store every friday they smoke prime rib which is excellent I do not know if they will do that at the new location or not.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 7:47 PM
I can personally say that I have never ever been a fan of Georgia Pig.  It was not because of the food but several years ago, I stopped by there with a colleague that was a black female.  It was immediately apparent that we were not welcome.  We bought a BBQ sandwich and left very quickly.  At that time it was apparent that they were very  racial.  We have never returned even though we have driven by there many times on business.  Their attitude may have changed but that attitude will always remain in our memory.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Glenn1234
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 8:07 PM

Paul -

I'm not sure it was a racial thing.  I'm white, and I found them to be fairly grumpy and gruff, and not very hospitable to me, either.   I have been there 4 or 5 times, and it was similar for each visit.  It might just be the way they are.   

Glenn

Glenn1234
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 8:11 PM
beteez -  What's the deal with the story about a gas station going in there?   Is that coming, as well, .... or ws that just a rumor?  The BBQ is enough for me.  Plenty of fuel around there already. 

Thanks.

Glenn

beteez
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 8:56 PM
Glenn, the site is not large enough for a dual use & Harrison & Griff have said they are expected to up & running next month. I was in SSBBQ for lunch today, but neither Harrison or Griff were in to get the word from the horse's mouth, but none of the information from them indicates a gas station just that they are taking over from the Pig's owners.

Glenn1234
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 9:06 PM

Okay, sounds good.  I got the gas station info from yesterday's front page story right here on RoadFood.   The story said it was becoming a gas station.   Glad it seems that's not happening.  

Thanks.

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Thu, 03/8/12 9:09 PM>

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Thu, 03/8/12 9:43 PM
Glenn, in our post about GA Pig we only relayed what we heard from a reader: that they lost their lease and it was becoming a gas station.  We have no idea where the reader got the info about the gas station.

Glenn1234
Re:Ga Pig Closes - Fri, 03/9/12 1:54 AM
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

Glenn, in our post about GA Pig we only relayed what we heard from a reader: that they lost their lease and it was becoming a gas station.  We have no idea where the reader got the info about the gas station.

Not a problem.  Sometimes you have to go with the info you have.  
Glad to hear it turned out differently. 
I'll miss the GA pig, despite the grumpy service.   I loved their grill-pressed pork sandwiches.  But, it sounds like the replacement is fairly promising.   That'll ease the pain of the GA Pig closing.  I'll be coming through there on April 13, so the new place should be open by then.   
Looking forward to trying it out. 

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Fri, 03/9/12 1:56 AM>