Beans (no Texans allowed)

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 4:39 PM
OK, ignoring for a moment the eternal beans/no beans debate...what KIND of beans would you put into your chili if you were to happen to have them in there...like maybe a can or a bag just sort of accidentally tipped over...

I myself favor a 3:1 Kidney beans to pinto beans ratio.

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 4:49 PM
Elise....I'm no chili expert but have always put kidney beans in my chili until....Michael and Jane turned me onto Pinto beans. The way they described them as little pillows of goodness (or words to that effect) was the beginning of my love affair with Pintos, so now they are my bean of choice for chili or anything else, with maybe the exception of black beans for soup.

I understand the purists form of chili and agree that it would be quite delicious, but we've grown up with beans in our chili so I guess that makes a difference when it comes to preferences (especially for my husband who would not like chili without beans "even if it were good," to borrow one of his favorite expressions.

Donna

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6228
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 4:49 PM
Pintos. Pintos. Pintos. Sorry Lone Star.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 6:28 PM
From a prior thread:

"It Ain't Chili And It Ain't Beans"

8 (16oz.) cans pork & beans
4 (16 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans
2 large yellow onions
1 stalk celery
2 large bell peppers
4 oz. jalapeno relish
1 1/2 oz. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 oz. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 oz. liquid smoke flavoring
2 lb. ground sirloin
2 lb. Hillshire Farms beef sausage
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese
2 pkg. McCormick chili mix

Open the cans of beans and pour contents into a three-gallon pot. Place pot on stove over low heat. Add chili mix, liquid smoke flavoring, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and jalapeno relish. Stir contents thoroughly. Coarse chop/cut all cheeses and add to pot. Coarse chop/cut onions, celery, and bell pepper; set aside.

Precook sausage for 4 minutes on HIGH setting in microwave (optional). Cut sausage into small bite-sized pieces, and then fry in skillet until done. Drain all grease and add sausage to pot. Fry ground sirloin; drain all grease and add to pot. Add onions, celery, and bell peppers to pot; stir thoroughly. Cover pot. Increase heat slightly to bring contents almost to a boil, then cook for 15-20 minutes while stirring contents often.

This recipe freezes well. Any leftovers can be placed in plastic containers and frozen for eating later.

Note: Beans tend to get hotter over a period of time.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 6:34 PM
When i have made "chili flavored beans" in the past i like pintos---and cranberry beans--tougher to find but nice beans--they both make fine "chili flavored beans". I have to be careful--after all im just about an hour north of Texas.

EliseT
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 7:12 PM
I think the reason the Kidney beans are essential for me, in addition to the Pinto, is that they have a little more resistance and "meatiness", making for a heartier chili.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 9:32 PM
I ALWAYS add Kidney Beans to my Chili... Yet to try adding pinto beans, but it does sound good. But as for the Pork and Beans, still scratching my head on that one... Actually does sound good! I'm always game to try something new!

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 02/22/04 11:16 PM
I usually use an even ratio of pintos/kidney/cranberries/ and a bean that I STILL don't know the name of that my ex-in laws call "Horticulture Beans" but are reminiscent of a pinto bean, but even plumper and the color of eggshell white like a navy bean. They can be dried, but they are especially good frozen in ziploc bags straight from their shelling. If I'm feeling very frivolous, I'll add a smaller ratio of black beans.

tiki
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 7:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I usually use an even ratio of pintos/kidney/cranberries/ and a bean that I STILL don't know the name of that my ex-in laws call "Horticulture Beans" but are reminiscent of a pinto bean, but even plumper and the color of eggshell white like a navy bean. They can be dried, but they are especially good frozen in ziploc bags straight from their shelling. If I'm feeling very frivolous, I'll add a smaller ratio of black beans.

Ive had Horticulture beans---but havent seen them in a LONG time---recall them being very "rich" and wonderfully textured---wouldnt happen to have a small hand full of seed,would you?(been reading catalogs!!!--it is that time of year!)

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 8:27 AM
Hi...wonder if the "horticulture beans" could possibly be dried soy beans? My Mom used to cook dried soy beans like soup beans and they were wonderfully rich and delicious. Not like the Edamame which are the soy beans picked green just before ripening. Just a thought. I've never heard of Horticulture beans before. Interesting. Will have to do some research to learn more about them.

Donna

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 889
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 9:38 AM
Those long red kidney beans are perhaps my least favorite bean in the world. IF some beans were to somehow sneak into my chili when I wasn't looking, they would be pinto, black or red beans...

tiki
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 9:53 AM
Donna---dont think so---they are also called "shell beans' if my memory is correct and there is a dwarg speckeled varity too.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 10:45 AM
Pintos, but red beans work, too. I've had good midwestern chili that had kidneys, but I don't use them at home.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 11:08 AM
2 LIGHT CANS KIDNEY, 2 DARK. FOR "COLOR" PURPOSES.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6228
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 11:08 AM
We were having lunch out on Sat. and it was accompanied by black beans which were very good and Z says, "Yeah, but Bushie's beans are WAY better!"

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 11:26 AM
Quietly protesting the bean thread........

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 11:27 AM
Donna, I wondered that too and did some investigation, but they are not soybeans. They are slightly larger than pintos but not as large as limas. I guess the shape and size I would compare them to, is a peanut m &m. They have an extremely velvety texture when prepared and very fresh taste, but are not mushy. I have a plant patholosgist in the family and he couldn't find out what variety they were. These ARE heirlooms that have been passed down through their family from the early 1900's on. They haven't ordered them from a seed catalog etc. I will try to obtain you some Tiki, that are appropriate for planting use, as I'm told they have to be in a certain state to propogate. They are sure a wonderful bean, whatever they are. I use them like pintos or in chili as mentioned and even in enhancing green beans cooked southern style, not to mention soup bean style. They smoothly take on the attributes for whatever dish. (And I'm out of them)

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 11:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

We were having lunch out on Sat. and it was accompanied by black beans which were very good and Z says, "Yeah, but Bushie's beans are WAY better!"

Z is obviously a man of great wisdom and good taste. First, he picks lleechef...

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 11:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Quietly protesting the bean thread........

Quietly joining you. Crashing the "no Texans" rule.

Maynerd
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 12:05 PM
Pinto for me, and that comes from a life long Texan.

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 02/23/04 4:32 PM
That depends ...

If I'm making Mom's chili for family members who insist on eating bland food, then just kidney beans.

If I'm making my chili (lots of smoky chipotle chili powder) then it's kidney beans, pintos and black beans.

When I'm experimenting (or coming up with wacky themes for the D.A.R.E. Chili Cook-off) it could be darn near anything!

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Tue, 02/24/04 8:40 AM
I use pinto or kidney beans, dried and reconstituted when possible. I am currently eating a turkey chili with black beans that my girlfriend put together. I had to clarify who made the turkey chili to at least partially fend off turkey chili prejudice. It is pretty damn tasty.

EliseT
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 02/25/04 12:19 AM
How do you keep the skins from coming off dried Kidney beans when you cook them? I don;t have this problem with any other bean. I hide the cans at the bottom of the trash.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 02/25/04 8:09 AM
Redtressed, I'd almost guantee you that they're a variety called marrow beans. They are grown on Amish farms in our area but most of the production is for their own use. Do they look like this?

http://store.yahoo.com/chefshop/zurmarbean.html

fcbaldwin
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 03/24/04 8:56 AM
My wife Linda made a batch of "Chasen's Chili" (a clone recipe we got off the internet) that uses dried reconstituted pinto beans, and I have to say this is truly good stuff. It has Gebhardts chili powder as well as a measure of ground cumin seed for seasoning. Outstanding. The pinto beans really contribute to the texture.

Frank

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 05/12/04 12:07 PM
I don't like kidney beans in my chili. I always use pinto beans and then I add a can of Bush's brown sugar baked beans. It just adds a special taste to my chili. I have to have lots of chili powder no matter what though.

jlobough
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 05/12/04 12:20 PM
It had always been kidney beans in my chili until recently. Now that I've been turned on (by friends) to black beans and pinto beans, I tend to be open to any (or all) of those beans. I've had chili without beans and it is good, but I believe beans add something special to the whole process.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 05/12/04 12:37 PM
My favorite are black beans but I will also use kidney and pintos

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17827
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 05/12/04 1:19 PM
If you're going to make this bean soup why not use lima beans?

dan409
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Thu, 05/13/04 11:16 AM
From www.vermontbean.com - a very good source for all kinds of unusual beans including Soldier Beans and Swedish Brown Beans.

Bean French Horticultural Item # 01269
(64 days) An excellent shelling bean, renowned for its taste and shelling ease. We list this variety as a bush bean, although it produces runners for many customers. A very hardy bush bean, 18" tall, dependable and disease resistant. Preferred by many as a dry bean (90 days); however, we recommend it as a shelling bean. Freezing and canning qualities are superior.

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Thu, 05/13/04 12:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

If you're going to make this bean soup why not use lima beans?

EEEOUGH!

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 889
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Thu, 05/13/04 1:31 PM
Nothing wrong with limas!!

Phishmonger
  • Total Posts : 217
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Thu, 05/13/04 2:03 PM
I've been known to add a can of each: Kidney, Pinto, Cannelini, Black. Colorful, and I think very tasty. Here in NE CT, anything goes!

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Fri, 05/14/04 8:26 AM
I love lima beans but not in my chili. I like to cook limas with a ham bone. I like the dried, frozen and fresh limas. I always use them in my vegetable soup but not my chili
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Nothing wrong with limas!!

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Tue, 06/22/04 9:24 PM
This third genTexan loves pintos in his chili, specifically Bush’s pinto beans.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 06/23/04 12:20 AM
Another Texan votes for pintos.

msb2ncsu
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 07/12/04 4:59 PM
We always add beans to chili. It helps keep the chili more on the healthy side by limiting cholesterol and fat in the pot without sacrificing flavor.

We do 2 chilis... one is a 1 hour cook for Friday nights when watching a movie. We use light red kidney beans because the skin isn't quite as tough. The other chili is a good 3 hours in cooking and we use a dark red bean for that becaue the bean holds up better. Pinto beans are never used but work just fine in the short cook recipe. I just prefer the larger bean with more texture.

We have a chili cafe here in town offering Cinci chili, a Terlingua Red chili, a standard Texas spice chili, and a vegetarian chili. All come standard without beans but can be added for extra substance. Pretty good... give you a sampler tray when you arrive.

oldfrt
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sun, 07/18/04 5:23 PM
I agree with Elsie T early on, I think the Kidney Beans are heartier and more "Meatier", so to speak. Pintos we use for making our own Refried beans and also with some ham and bacon for soup. The Pintos we buy here in Denver by the bag full and soak them for the final recipe.

As for Lima Beans, I LOVE EM!! The rest of the family hates them so guess what, we dont eat them around here that much unless I make them as a side dish for myself. Lots of butter on top with salt and pepper and, made with Ham, like emsmom said, I have not had in years! Gotta make some, thanks for the thought!

Don

Sasaku
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Sat, 08/21/04 8:56 PM
ALL BEANS
I love beans and ussually add whatever I find in the cabinet, but eventually theres more beans then chili so when I go bean crazy I have to make huge servings of chili.

HiredGoon
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Mon, 09/27/04 12:02 AM
I enjoy a good bowl of Texas Red. But I also like "chilibeans." My grandpa taught me that if there were beans in it, it was "chilibeans," if no beans, it was "chili."

When making "chilibeans" I always use pinto, and sometimes a mixture of half pinto, half black.

Never kidney beans!!!!

downtown
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 10/6/04 4:49 PM
there ya go hiredgoon. it's ok to put chili in beans, but not beans in chili. or shredded bbq meat is good in beans too. my mom likes kidneys in her "chilibeans", but I prefer pinto as well.

and hey folks, are lima beans and butter beans the same on this forum? to me, lima beans are those little green things (blech). but I have heard some people refer to those large yellow ones that go so good with ham as lima beans. to me those are butter beans and I love them.

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 10/6/04 4:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by downtown

there ya go hiredgoon. it's ok to put chili in beans, but not beans in chili. or shredded bbq meat is good in beans too. my mom likes kidneys in her "chilibeans", but I prefer pinto as well.

and hey folks, are lima beans and butter beans the same on this forum? to me, lima beans are those little green things (blech). but I have heard some people refer to those large yellow ones that go so good with ham as lima beans. to me those are butter beans and I love them.

limas are those big flat nasty green things that don't belong in chile even outside the state of Texas

downtown
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 10/6/04 6:00 PM
thanks cake. that's what I thought. AND I agree.

Farfromhome
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 10/6/04 6:36 PM
Another Texan crashing the party here - pinto beans go really good on the side of a bowl of chili but if ya put it in the chili its not chili anymore (sorry to beat a dead horse here )

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Wed, 10/6/04 7:29 PM
In this area (Kentuciana) the term Lima usually refers tot he smaller (Baby Lima) beans. When they get 'full-sized' most places call them Butter Beans...and no they don't belong in Chili (IMHO).
Now for a real step in the Cow-Pie. As my chili with Pinto's and maybe some Kidneys's gets close to ready...if it is a bit thin, I will add a large can of the Spicy Refried Beans and mix them in well. Man that thickens the stuff up like the Artery-Clogger it is meant to be. Like with my Split-Pea Soup, I prefer my Chili to be able to support the eating utensil vertically without other support!
While beef is the meat of choice, more often than not we use chunks and scraps of BBQ Pork Butt (lots of scraps and Carnitas available). They really add a good smokey flavor to the chili.

Aaaaaargh
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Beans (no Texans allowed) - Fri, 10/15/04 11:19 PM
I didn't know I liked pinto beans until I went to Chipotle. God bless those McDonald's owned vendors of burritoey goodness.