Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork?

Filet Mignon
2012/03/13 18:13:22
Today I had lunch at a barbecue place and one of the ways they serve a pulled pork sandwich is topped with chopped hard-cooked egg, crumbled bacon, coleslaw, and a peppery vinegar sauce (I declined the slaw).  Is this traditional for eastern North Carolina barbecue?

Brad
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/19 17:02:53
How did it taste?
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/20 08:05:05
It was interesting but I think I screwed up the balance of the sandwich by leaving off the coleslaw, because the vinegar sauce was too strong and I think a creamy slaw would've helped tone it down a bit.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/20 09:45:21
ScreamingChicken

Today I had lunch at a barbecue place and one of the ways they serve a pulled pork sandwich is topped with chopped hard-cooked egg, crumbled bacon, coleslaw, and a peppery vinegar sauce (I declined the slaw).  Is this traditional for eastern North Carolina barbecue?

Brad

I'm a life long southerner and never heard of such.
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/20 11:04:32
I am not a life long southerner but have spent enough time there to also say I too have never heard of such.
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/20 13:40:49
Never seen such ... but I'd eat it. ... ...
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/25 22:20:58
Here it is:

And while I'm at it I might as well throw in some photos of the rest of the meal.

Here's where I ate it.  Larry's Smoke House in Portage, WI.

StL/KC-style sweeter sauce on the left, the regular house sauce in the center (less sweet), and a mango-habanero sauce on the right.  The house sauce was pretty good but I didn't care for the mango sauce at all.

I also ordered a 2-meat plate with ribs and chicken.  The meat was cooked fine (ribs had chew, chicken was moist) but I would've liked a lot more smoke flavor, and my ribs still had the membrane on the back.

I chose macaroni & cheese and baked beans as my sides.  The mac had an unexpected oniony flavor that initially caught me by surprise but I wound up liking it, as I did the moist, dense cornbread mini-muffins.  The beans were pretty ordinary, though.

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/03/25 22:36:34
3 Olives
Cheeseburger
Re:Chopped egg and bacon on pulled pork? 2012/03/26 18:28:51
ScreamingChicken

Brad

No, pulled pork with sauce or sauce and slaw is the way to go. Chicken looks baked-not smoked.