Smoke Day?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 61 to 120 of 202
JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2376
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 03/26/12 8:58 PM
Michael Hoffman

JRPfeff

Yeah, you know who I'm talking about.  He's been unusually nice lately for some reason.

Sorry about any confusion. I was using lleechef's computer when I asked: VACATED? Now, while I'm certainly happier about the world at this time than I might have been in the past several years, I'm still thte same curmudgeonly being of yore. The thing is, there's not that much being posted that's silly, nasty, stupid, or otherwise offensive. 

Well that explains why lleechef has turned into an @$&?*!% recently.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 03/26/12 9:13 PM
I'm going to assume that was supposed to be amusing.

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 03/26/12 9:21 PM
Do you need someone to explain it to you, Michael?

Michael Hoffman
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 03/26/12 9:29 PM
Perhaps. Or, perhaps you were suggesting that I'd been posting from her computer for a while, in which case you're sort of forgiven.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 03/27/12 7:43 AM>

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 03/31/12 9:08 AM
Mr. Hoffman (or whoever is posting here), we are not that far from Ohio. I'm sure that at least one-half of your split personality would be well received at the Pie Fest event.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4086
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 03/31/12 1:47 PM
Wow!  Now that would be a Pie Fest to remember!  Maybe Mr. Hoffman could pick up a few pints of Graeter's ice cream as he passed through Cincinnati so we could make the best pie ala mode ever (not that the Pie Diva's pies need the ala mode).

As for Michael's confusion, yes, I believe JRPfeff was implying, as you said, that you were posting from lleechef's computer.  I can't imagine anyone having anything bad to say about her.  And yes, JRPfeff's comment (#61) was just a little bit amusing.

Buddy

<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 04/1/12 1:51 AM>

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 03/31/12 7:29 PM
I'm not sure why Herr Hoffman would pass through Cincinnati when I-70 would take him directly from Columbus to Indianapolis, but Graeter's has locations in both Columbus and Dayton so you'd still be covered.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Sun, 04/1/12 1:50 AM
I-71 from Columbus to Cincinnati, then I-74 to Indianapolis will accomplish the same goal.  And there's Graeter's.

And yeah, there's Graeter's in Dayton and Columbus (they even sell pints at the Heinen's grocery chain in Cleveland), but it's not Cincinnati Graeter's, which everyone will tell you tastes better than Dayton or Columbus Graeter's.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken
Re:Smoke Day? - Sun, 04/1/12 10:16 AM
Is it served on spaghetti and topped with onions and cheese?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Sun, 04/1/12 2:16 PM
No, but they do have a goetta flavored ice cream served with a fried egg that will knock your socks off!

Buddy

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
Re:Smoke Day? - Sun, 04/1/12 5:46 PM
I want tomato, lettuce and ketchup on my Saturday Sundae.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9808
Re:Smoke Day? - Sun, 04/1/12 6:38 PM
MFL-
Are you sure that isn't spelled Saturdae Sunday?

abe_froeman
  • Total Posts : 695
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 7:20 AM
BuddyRoadhouse

I-71 from Columbus to Cincinnati, then I-74 to Indianapolis will accomplish the same goal.  And there's Graeter's.

And yeah, there's Graeter's in Dayton and Columbus (they even sell pints at the Heinen's grocery chain in Cleveland), but it's not Cincinnati Graeter's, which everyone will tell you tastes better than Dayton or Columbus Graeter's.

Buddy

Or you could just get some at Fresh Farms at Dundee & Milwaukee and get a couple pints there.

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 7:30 AM
abe_froeman

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Or you could just get some at Fresh Farms at Dundee & Milwaukee and get a couple pints there.

And then drop it in the trash before you buy frozen custard at Kopp's.

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 8:07 AM
With the economy where it is, I am looking for creative ways to control costs at the party this year.  I don't want the food to suffer, so may skip renting the Port-o-let. While many of my guests are already here, I may provide this dependable option for everyone.

abe_froeman
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 9:40 AM
JRPfeff

abe_froeman

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Very true....might depend on what the flavors are, though.

JRPfeff

With the economy where it is, I am looking for creative ways to control costs at the party this year.  I don't want the food to suffer, so may skip renting the Port-o-let. While many of my guests are already here, I may provide this dependable option for everyone.

What about a Stadium Pal, as recommended by David Sedaris?

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 9:46 AM
Reused up to 12 times, this could really be a cost savings.  Just got to get the guys to share.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 2:18 PM
abe_froeman

JRPfeff

abe_froeman

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Very true....might depend on what the flavors are, though.

First off, ungrateful daughter, how long have you known about this, and why haven't you told me before???

Secondly, while I have great respect for both JRPfeff and abe_froeman, and a genuine affection for Kopp's custard (and the occasional cheeseburger), until you have tried Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip you cannot make statements like that.  I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip is one of the best and greatest flavor achievements in the history of frozen desserts (I use the term "frozen dessert" so as to include both premium ice cream and frozen custard; the distinct differences between the two I understand and recognize).

I'm pretty sure at least one well known Roadfooder from Pittsburgh will back me up on this.  Unless he just wants to keep his nose clean on this one...

Buddy

buffetbuster
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 2:31 PM
In a contest between Kopp's and Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip, there are no losers. Only winners.  I love them both and wouldn't dare pick between them.

quijote
  • Total Posts : 643
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 8:53 PM
Alternatively, if Pewaukee-bound foodies come bearing frozen gifts from central Ohio, another sensational (albeit expensive) option would be a few pints of Jeni's Ice Cream:
http://jenisicecreams.com/
http://jenisicecreams.com...ors/Signature-Flavors/
With flavors like Wildberry Lavender, Bangkok Peanut, Salty Caramel, and Goat Cheese with Cognac Figs, there's gotta be something the Contingent would like.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 8:59 PM
I will be there with a fun food experience.............

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/2/12 10:49 PM
buffetbuster

In a contest between Kopp's and Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip, there are no losers. Only winners.  I love them both and wouldn't dare pick between them.

Somehow I knew buffetbuster would provide a diplomatic answer to this question.  Oh well, at least now I know what I'll be bringing to PieSmokeFestDay.  Get ready for Pie Ala Mode!

Buddy

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/3/12 6:59 AM
JRPfeff

I never knew Clay Matthews had an evil twin brother but except for the uniform they look pretty similar.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/3/12 3:57 PM
JRPfeff,
You can always revert back to your Boy Scout Training:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGBS0wV38zc

irisarbor
  • Total Posts : 603
Re:Smoke Day? - Wed, 04/4/12 11:51 AM
I think it's more a Pie Feast....
YUM
YUM

buffetbuster
Re:Smoke Day? - Thu, 04/12/12 9:39 AM
I have been keeping a close eye for a while, but the flights have just been too expensive.  It was actually cheaper to fly way out west, so I booked that instead.  Sorry to miss out on all the great company, bbq and especially pie!  Have a great Smoke Day/Pie Fest everyone! 

Michael Hoffman
Re:Smoke Day? - Thu, 04/12/12 10:00 AM
Ah, gentlemen, and ladies -- as the case may be, there is a Graeter's right here in Gahanna, but my preference is for Velvet over Graeter's any day. And, while I'll not be able to get to Wisconsin for the event Mr. Roadhouse will be bringing along two pounds of bratwurst from Carle's of Bucyrus, Ohio. The lovely lleechef and I drove up to the Bratwurst Capital of the World yesterday and the now vaccum-sealed sausages will be overnighted to said Mr. Roadhouse on Monday.

ScreamingChicken
Re:Smoke Day? - Thu, 04/12/12 10:41 AM
Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, BB.  Hopefully you'll be blessed with a stroke of good luck in the ensuing 6 weeks and you'll be able to cancel your cancellation.

And thank you for the donation, Michael!
<message edited by ScreamingChicken on Thu, 04/12/12 10:43 AM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Smoke Day? - Thu, 04/12/12 12:11 PM
ScreamingChicken

And thank you for the donation, Michael!

Last year it was going to be a donation, but Buddy and I could never connect for the transfer. This year it's a bet. I lost.

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Thu, 04/12/12 9:36 PM
Michael Hoffman

Ah, gentlemen, and ladies -- as the case may be, there is a Graeter's right here in Gahanna, but my preference is for Velvet over Graeter's any day. And, while I'll not be able to get to Wisconsin for the event Mr. Roadhouse will be bringing along two pounds of bratwurst from Carle's of Bucyrus, Ohio. The lovely lleechef and I drove up to the Bratwurst Capital of the World yesterday and the now vaccum-sealed sausages will be overnighted to said Mr. Roadhouse on Monday.

Awesome!  Thank you MH & lleechef.

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Thu, 04/12/12 9:37 PM
buffetbuster

I have been keeping a close eye for a while, but the flights have just been too expensive.  It was actually cheaper to fly way out west, so I booked that instead.  Sorry to miss out on all the great company, bbq and especially pie!  Have a great Smoke Day/Pie Fest everyone! 

The Pie Nazi, er, Diva says:
No pie for you!

buffetbuster
Re:Smoke Day? - Fri, 04/13/12 11:11 AM
Nor do i deserve any pie.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
Re:Smoke Day? - Fri, 04/13/12 1:43 PM
bb
You always deserve pie!
Happy Smoke Day to all.  I hope you enjoy the brats from Bucyrus, MH is going to make some for me for supper tonight.  Yum!

ann peeples
Re:Smoke Day? - Fri, 04/13/12 11:24 PM
I, myself, am unhappy to hear that the Hoffmans, and BB wont make it this year. I might!

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 04/14/12 12:57 AM
You should!

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/17/12 1:57 PM
The Bratwurst are here, the Bratwurst are here!

The Bucyrus Bratwurst arrived via FedEx this morning, thanks to one Mr. Michael Hoffman of Gahanna, Ohio.  Looks to be about two pounds worth, eight Brats in all.  They're resting comfortably in my freezer until it's time for them to come into service.

JRPfeff, you'll need to reserve one Smoke Day grill for actual grilling.  Or better yet, maybe we can meet up with you or Pie Diva sometime ahead of SmokePieDayFest, pass the Brats off to you, and they can be smoked, Texas style.  Whaddaya think Mr. Hoffman; you know these links better than us.  Should we stick to grilling, or would smoking them be appropriate?

Thanks to Michael Hoffman for squaring up on our bet (for those who don't know what I'm referring to, see this thread: http://www.roadfood.com/F...Minnesota-m691730.aspx ).  We will think happy thoughts about him and lleechef as we chow down on May 26th.

Buddy

ScreamingChicken
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/17/12 2:10 PM
BuddyRoadhouse

JRPfeff, you'll need to reserve one Smoke Day grill for actual grilling.  Or better yet, maybe we can meet up with you or Pie Diva sometime ahead of SmokePieDayFest, pass the Brats off to you, and they can be smoked, Texas style.  Whaddaya think Mr. Hoffman; you know these links better than us.  Should we stick to grilling, or would smoking them be appropriate?

3 grilled, 3 smoked, 2 dissected raw...

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/17/12 9:43 PM
I will prepare the Bucyrus Bratwurst per Mr. Hoffman's specifications.

ann peeples
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/17/12 10:03 PM
Awesome!

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Fri, 04/20/12 3:39 PM
A Message To The Pit Master:
The official word from Michael Hoffman regarding preparation for those Bucyrus Brats is this:
He uses the traditional "Wisconsin Method" (my term, not his) of simmering in beer and onions before grilling.  However, both he and lleechef agree that they would be excellent if they were smoked.

So, JRPfeff, it comes down to you.  Do you want me to get you the Brats sometime prior to Smoke Day, or shall we simmer and grill the day of the event.  Even with a generous two pounds worth, there are only eight links.  I don't think doing half and half will be a worthwhile effort.  I think we should commit one way or the other, and I'm leaving it up to use as chief cook and bottle washer to make the decision.

Buddy

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 04/21/12 11:11 PM
Buddy,

I'm going to prepare the Ohio brats like I would anything I buy here.  No need to arrange an early drop-off.  I'll be doing my usual hot links in the smoker.  The fresh brats will be stand-outs on their own.

Jim

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 04/21/12 11:31 PM
The countdown begins.  It is just 5 weeks until Smoke Fest/Pie Day, and I am excited about renewing the tradition.

I'll be changing up the meats from past Smoke Days, where I previously focused on the 4 competition meats - pork ribs, pork, beef brisket, and chicken.  Already mentioned in this thread are smoked corned beef (aka - fake pastrami) and undocumented bratwurst from south of the border.  I'm hoping to prepare my late-father's grilled beef tenderloin, which is not traditional barbecue, but is something I have always wanted to share with my friends.  I also hope to add some grilled or smoked fish to mix things up.

On the pie agenda you had better put in your requests in writing at this thread.  Pie Diva is looking to prepare a bunch of new pies, so if you don't request a favorite, it may not be here.

Jim

buffetbuster
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 04/21/12 11:50 PM
JRPfeff

On the pie agenda you had better put in your requests in writing at this thread.  Pie Diva is looking to prepare a bunch of new pies, so if you don't request a favorite, it may not be here.

Jim
You obviously put this in just because you enjoying making a grown man cry. 

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Sat, 04/21/12 11:59 PM
BB,

I know you have already declined, any chance we'll see Cousin Johnny this year?

Jim

ScreamingChicken
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/23/12 10:56 AM
JRPfeff

Already mentioned in this thread are smoked corned beef (aka - fake pastrami) and undocumented bratwurst from south of the border.

Doesn't the Dept. of Agriculture have a 15-day quarantine for non-native sausage products?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/23/12 11:54 AM
They are currently quarantined in my freezer.  As a founding member of The Contingent, a Milwaukee/Chicago based organization, any non-native sausage products I carry north of Russell Road get a special "close enough" dispensation.

I am happy to report the Bucyrus Brats have behaved themselves since arriving in Chicago.  They have played nicely with all the other items in my freezer, including locally made kielbasa and chorizo.  No loud outbursts or disturbances to report from inside the ol' KitchenAid.

Buddy

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/23/12 12:44 PM
Those Bucyrus Brats are usually pretty well-mannered! 

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/23/12 1:08 PM
The question is, are the brats in storage North of Division Street?

It's on the internet, so it must be true.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/23/12 10:53 PM
I've seen the shorter version of that video--Hilarious!!!

And yes, they are north of Division, so technically, at least according Craig Robinson's White Sox loving character, they are already in Wisconsin.

Buddy

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 04/23/12 11:16 PM
Pssssst, Buddy.  Is Burt's North or South?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/24/12 3:21 AM
North.

Division Street runs east/west through the city at the 1200 north mark.  And while that video is very funny and full of inside jokes, they did get that one wrong.  The actual dividing line between the north and south sides is Madison Street, running through The Loop and out to points west.  Madison is literally at the north/south "zero" mark for addresses.  State Street, which runs north/south, is the "zero" point for east/west addresses.  As such, standing in the middle of the intersection of State and Madison puts you in the middle of nowhere, which is weird because it has been called the busiest intersection in the world.

And as far as pizzas go, while there are many rivalries between the north and south sides of Chicago, pizzas ain't one of 'em.

Buddy

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 04/24/12 9:34 PM
Well said Mr. Roadhouse.

LindseyA
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 05/7/12 6:47 AM
This is true that there are no smoke day in a year, so every day is smoke day except one days who is not smoking day!

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 05/7/12 2:08 PM
Well said LindseyA.

Buddy

Pie Diva
  • Total Posts : 56
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 05/7/12 7:05 PM
You are right Buddy, that is well English!

ann peeples
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 05/8/12 9:30 PM
LOL, Buddy and Pie Diva!

ScreamingChicken
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 05/14/12 10:26 AM
Looks like there's a chance Mrs. SC won't be attending this year due to a scheduling mixup at work, but that shouldn't affect my presence.

Although I'm sure you'd all prefer it the other way around.

JRPfeff
Re:Smoke Day? - Mon, 05/14/12 10:45 AM
The shindig is still 12 days away.  Maybe she can trade days with someone if she promises them some pie.

abe_froeman
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 05/15/12 12:19 PM
What's everyone bringing to the shindig?

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Smoke Day? - Tue, 05/15/12 3:09 PM
We've got two pounds of Bucyrus bratwurst, and I'll try to pick up some Graeter's ice cream.  I can also get some more of those barrel pickles that MilwFoodlovers likes.

Buddy

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 61 to 120 of 202