How do you like your Mac and Cheese?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Cheeseburger
2004/02/23 08:27:07
My favorite comfort food is mac and cheese and after travelling all over, when I eat out I always order mac and cheese {if it's on the menu}. I find that every region has its own way of making it. The best I think is when it is baked with breadcrumbs on top. When i am home the best is Kraft in the blue box with the powdered cheese. So, how do you like it?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 09:08:04
I like a baked mac and cheese and tuna casserole. The recipe is on the box. I use the Kraft Shells and Cheese mix.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 09:27:05
I agree with Chicagostyledog! I like my Mac and Cheese Tuna Casserole Style. Just make the recipe, add a can of Cream of Mushroom, 1/2 can of milk, some tuna and some peas. You can eat it like that or toss it in a casserole dish, sprinkle some italian style bread crumbs and parmesian over the top and bake it for a few!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 09:54:48
Sorry folks, but I'm, a bit of a purist. When you add tuna then, while it may be tasty, it's not mac-n-cheese: it's a frickin' tuna casserole!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 10:07:10
Baked--with a crust of crumb and grated romano cheese mix--even did it once with minced pecans tossed in--,with a healthy splash of tabasco splashed on top and sitting next to porkchops and steamed brocolli!!....and Pogo is absolutely correct---tuna casserole may be fine but it aint mac and cheese!!---oh and that stuff in the box----thats mac and cheese flavored powder!!! give me a thick cream sauces with several varieties of cheese any day---(sharp chedder,parm,some swiss and even a little stinky blue!!)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 10:17:40
I don't like the dry baked stuff, crust or not.

Mac-n-Cheese should be wet - a creamy sauce clinging to the pasta -with some fine ground black pepper added in. I generally grate in a little parm - romano if I have it - and some cheddar when using a packaged product with sauce mix.

I don't much like the shell pasta variation. The difference in texture just doesn't seem right to my mind.....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 10:50:09
My grandson detests any macaroni and cheese that doesn't come in a box. His favorite, Velveeta shells and cheese.
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 11:51:53
I like the baked, doing mine with a combination of velveeta,( a must for the my boy wonder to consume) fontina, extra sharp white cheddar, gruyere and large curd creamy cottage cheese. A nice white sauce with a few dashes of ground mustard ,nutmeg and fresh snipped parsley. After a bit of baking, I sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs and a fresh grated parmesean, asiago and romano on top. I usually use a combination of rotelli, macaroni and bows, to entice the little guy even more.
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 12:08:59
I love Mac and Cheese, I eat it with tabasco all over it. Yummmmmmy
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 15:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Sorry folks, but I'm, a bit of a purist. When you add tuna then, while it may be tasty, it's not mac-n-cheese: it's a frickin' tuna casserole!!

It's especially relaxing with a warm cup of rabbit tobacco tea.
Shanie
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 16:06:09
As long as it has massive quantities of cheese, I'll all for it.
Rusty246
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 16:10:53
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I like the baked, doing mine with a combination of velveeta,( a must for the my boy wonder to consume) fontina, extra sharp white cheddar, gruyere and large curd creamy cottage cheese. A nice white sauce with a few dashes of ground mustard ,nutmeg and fresh snipped parsley. After a bit of baking, I sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs and a fresh grated parmesean, asiago and romano on top. I usually use a combination of rotelli, macaroni and bows, to entice the little guy even more.

WOW! That sounds like "million dollar mac"! I still don't think my kid's would think out of the box though, me on the other hand YUM! Hmm, I wonder if I could catch a ride with clothier???? We could discuss Sunday's race!
evilpez
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/23 16:16:19
I like to make a vat of Kraft Dinner and let it sit a day. Then put it directly into a frying pan and crisp it up a bit. I know that probably constitutes Mac & Cheese sacrilege but to each is their own...

Lucky Bishop
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/24 02:03:53
I boil up a pound and a half of Barilla elbows (the ridged kind) while I make four cups of bechamel. Into that I add eight ounces of cream cheese, eight ounces of Cabot's hunter-style extra-extra-sharp cheddar, a handful of shredded parmesan and the remains of anything that's lurking in the cheese drawer, which is usually either a little boursin or some Maytag blue. Very important: I also toss in about a 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard with the cheese. The sharpness helps. Mix the sauce with the elbows, cover with crushed potato chips and a cup of sharp cheddar and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Serve as entree.

If my wife doesn't take the leftovers to work for lunch, I make up another cup or so of the sauce, reheat the mac about halfway in the microwave and then combine on the stovetop until heated through. Serve as the side starch with something like meatloaf or pork chops.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/24 02:07:17
quote:

Well, it started out as Mac-n-Chez... Just got doctored a bit!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/24 09:45:56
I want to eat at Lucky Bishop's!!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/24 09:47:20
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

Well, it started out as Mac-n-Chez... Just got doctored a bit!

Yep!! Probably improved it too (I'm not very fond of the box kind, though my kids prefer it)..." />
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/24 11:58:22
I like mine hot, cheesy, and fattening, with perhaps a few little oven-browned pieces of mac on the top layer. Bring it on!
Tuck
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 13:48:33
I tried this the other night and it was amazing. Normally I use Shells and cheese as the Mac and Cheese base. Then I had bacon bits, Louisiana Hot Sauce, and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. This has always worked well for me. But I've found something new -- Horseradish. Not the mayo-looking quasi-horseradish, but the good stuff. One spoonful of that and I was in heaven (and my wife was horrified). I highly recommend it.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 14:15:38
quote:
Originally posted by Tuck

One spoonful of that and I was in heaven (and my wife was horrified). I highly recommend it.

I concur. Anything that horrifies the wife MUST be worth doing...
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 14:25:45
oh boy!!! Mac n' cheese, I love it all,but as in so many things, I refer back to memories of my mothers way(rest her soul)....lotsa cheese(including white cheddar from neighboring Vermont), but with a few tomato's and she used ziti noodles, baked with a brown crust
cannot remember the last time I had 'bad' M+C
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 14:28:41
My God.....i just read 'REDTRESSED' recipe........sounds absolutely wonderful, I wonder where he lives?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 14:35:18
She lives in West Virginia, I believe...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 14:41:10
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

Then head on over to your nearest Ponderosa's, my friend :-)

All you can eat bad M&C on the buffet.
redtressed
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 14:56:36
quote:
Rusty246
Cheeseburger

448 Posts
Posted - 02/23/2004 : 16:10:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

WOW! That sounds like "million dollar mac"! I still don't think my kid's would think out of the box though, me on the other hand YUM! Hmm, I wonder if I could catch a ride with clothier???? We could discuss Sunday's race!

Rusty, g/f........come back home to the mountains, I'll show you what all is new, and iffen' you want I'll even puts ramps in the Mac and Cheese.
redtressed
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 15:00:58
quote:
garykg6
Hamburger

60 Posts
Posted - 02/25/2004 : 14:28:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My God.....i just read 'REDTRESSED' recipe........sounds absolutely wonderful, I wonder where he lives?

pogophiles
Cheeseburger

371 Posts
Posted - 02/25/2004 : 14:35:18

She lives in West Virginia, I believe...

Thank you Gary and pogophiles is right on the mark. I'm in Morgantown(The Home of the Mountaineers) about 60 miles south of Pittsburgh. It's kind of the best of both worlds. I'm exactly 5.3 miles below the Mason-Dixon Line so I can claim southern hospitality. But the lovely southern drawl is not as predominate here so I can claim being a Yankee too.
Rusty246
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 15:08:48
quote:

quote:
Rusty246
Cheeseburger

448 Posts
Posted - 02/23/2004 : 16:10:53

quote:

Rusty, g/f........come back home to the mountains, I'll show you what all is new, and iffen' you want I'll even puts ramps in the Mac and Cheese.

RAMPS?!?!?!??! YIKES!!!!!! Please, oh, please spare me the RAMPS! I abhor those. I can almost smell them from here. Would love to come back home and hope to visit soon. I need some new Mountaineer garb, and a Dairy Queen ifin you put ramps in the Mac & Cheese!
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 15:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

Then head on over to your nearest Ponderosa's, my friend :-)

All you can eat bad M&C on the buffet.

My experience has been that ANY all-you-can-eat buffet place has bad (translate that "tasteless", "mushy", or "watery") mac & cheese, probably somewhat due to sitting on a steam table much too long.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 15:19:45
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

My experience has been that ANY all-you-can-eat buffet place has bad mac & cheese
I'd disagree. It *can* be made well, well enough to sit on a steam table buffet setting. I think the main problem is that the buffet operators tend to look down on this as kid's food, ie the kids will eatr it no matter what, so why try?

I've had good (not great, but good) Mac n cheese on a buffet, albeit not often....
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 16:00:15
Yum. Ramps. Mac n cheese. Morels. Redtressed do you have a spare bedroom for me?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 16:12:25
Another unknown term, another googling: http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/aprilfd.htm

Sounds pretty good, tho; I love onions
Rusty246
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 16:28:35
I honestly have never tried ramps, I just remember my Mom and Grandmother cooking them, I'd go the opposite direction preferably outside much the way my kid's do when I cook mustard or collard greens. Mom even brought some fresh ones back to Florida, gosh that smell permeating through the trunk was enough to make my brother, myself, and the dog sick. I think we got used to it about the GA-FL line. So tell me as an adult now, what do they taste like??? I read the aforementioned link, but am curious about the tase after cooking. Would you sit down and eat a bowl full with say a little vinegar and a slab of buttermilk cornbread?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 19:02:38
Dearfolk,
My late Mother made the best macaroni & cheese I ever tasted. Her secrets:
1) use only the oldest, "stinkiest" cheddar cheese you can buy;
2) use nothing but Creamettes elbows;
3) use whole milk in addition;
4) use real butter instead of margarine;
5) add a good dash of Lea & Perrins' Worcestershire sauce;
6) toss in a hit of Gebhardt's chili powder;
7) use wheat crackers for the topping.
She would be mighty proud to see me post this here, because y'all are gonna take her idea(s) and run and produce something even better than she ever did.
I can't recommend any from restaurants in my area because I'm trying to lose weight, so I never get that!
Shrinkingly (But Not Violet!), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Rachael
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 19:21:41
Well, I never tell anyone this because of the horror my concoction inspires within my husband and mother. But I like my mac and cheese (Kraft blue box ONLY) with a spoonful of mayo and a liberal dose of black pepper stirred in it. I never had any type of homemade mac and cheese til I was an adult, and completely prefer the boxed stuff.
angelfood
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/25 19:46:40
I like what my Grandmother used to call Macaroni and Cheese Pie. I've never, unfortunately, been able to replicate it. Maybe someone here can tell me how. It had elbow macaroni, lots of cheese and was held together by a light mixture that had to have contained eggs. There was a good bit of pepper, some butter, etc. It was delicious. Chunks of cheese...oh, my. And the mixture that held it together went all the way to the top of it. I've never been able to make that happen. It wasn't loose, it was, like...pie. Oh, how I miss it.
spaniel
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/02/26 00:52:27
One of my staple meals when eating in the dining halls in college was a simulated mac & cheese: cold plain pasta (this was almost always on the salad bar, though unappealing by itself), shredded cheese and sometimes sliced mushrooms (also from the salad bar), a big chunk of margarine, heated in the microwave to melt the cheese into a gooey mass. It was not bad at all, and I actually preferred it to the baked mac & cheese the cafeteria served. I think the secret was using a ridiculous amount of cheese!
autumneyez04
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/03/01 04:23:04
Oh Wow a Mac&Cheese thread.

What I'm about to say is NOT for any Mac&Cheese Purist at heart. If so plz dont get bent out of shape if you read this. heh

I love to experiment and the greatest Mac&Cheese recipe I've come up with that is even better than my homemade is...

2 boxes of 3 Cheese Shell Mac&Cheese (I use Kroger brand)following directions with these additions:
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
Dash of Cheyenne Pepper or Red Pepper
1/4 C Mayo(not Salad Dressing aka Miracle Whip)I use Hellmans
1 C Cheddar Cheese

Blend Well.

Sprinkle extra cup of cheese on top and place under broiler till the top is just getting golden and bubbly!

Let me know if you have tried this one! I get big raves. I have never told the secret ingredients till now.

Enjoy

emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/05/06 10:32:58
I agree . I like my mac n cheese creamy with creamy cheese clinging to the pasta. Some of the baked varieties don't have enough cheese, and I don't care for dry macaroni without a lot of cheese in it nor do I want egg in my baked mac n cheese
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I don't like the dry baked stuff, crust or not.

Mac-n-Cheese should be wet - a creamy sauce clinging to the pasta -with some fine ground black pepper added in. I generally grate in a little parm - romano if I have it - and some cheddar when using a packaged product with sauce mix.

I don't much like the shell pasta variation. The difference in texture just doesn't seem right to my mind.....
alb
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/07/31 13:55:55
quote:
Originally posted by evilpez

I like to make a vat of Kraft Dinner and let it sit a day. Then put it directly into a frying pan and crisp it up a bit. I know that probably constitutes Mac & Cheese sacrilege but to each is their own...

Sacrilege? No, I don't think so. It sounds good to me! When I was little and we were poor, my mom would buy a container of assorted cheese pieces. She said they were scraps from cut-to-order cheese at the deli counter but nowadays they label them as "cocktail cheese" and package them with toothpicks and charge a lot more! Anyway, they made the most delicious mac and cheese when mixed with a bechamel sauce.
Biscuit
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/07/31 14:28:08
I like Kraft Mac & Cheese from the blue box.
Just as the macaroni is finishing cooking, I add some chopped broccoli. After draing and adding the cheese sauce, milk and margarine, I add fresh, chopped jalepeno's and garlic
Then, a liberal amount of black pepper. Sometimes I'll add hot sauce.
Really spices it up nicely and I've never had any restaurant's version that could compare.
Lunza
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/07/31 16:47:57
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

I boil up a pound and a half of Barilla elbows (the ridged kind) while I make four cups of bechamel. Into that I add eight ounces of cream cheese, eight ounces of Cabot's hunter-style extra-extra-sharp cheddar, a handful of shredded parmesan and the remains of anything that's lurking in the cheese drawer, which is usually either a little boursin or some Maytag blue. Very important: I also toss in about a 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard with the cheese. The sharpness helps. Mix the sauce with the elbows, cover with crushed potato chips ...

*blinks* Never thought I'd see "potato chips" and "bechamel" in the same paragraph. Any particular brand or type?
Jennifer_4
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/07/31 19:24:41
Has to be the blue box!! Extra cheese packet, sour cream, and garlic salt... PERFECTION!
Danmel
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/08/02 16:34:13
My sons favorite Macaroni and Cheese is the "ricky the Clown" mac & cheese from the children's menu at the Anaheim Hilton. He ate it there very day that we were in that area in 2001. He was 7 at the time and still talks wistfully of "Ricky the Clown". I tried to get ther ecipe from the chef there, but they weren't terribly cooperative. He talks about wanting to go back to ANaheim just to get the stuff!
Lucky Bishop
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/08/02 18:36:29
quote:
Originally posted by Lunza

quote:

I boil up a pound and a half of Barilla elbows (the ridged kind) while I make four cups of bechamel. Into that I add eight ounces of cream cheese, eight ounces of Cabot's hunter-style extra-extra-sharp cheddar, a handful of shredded parmesan and the remains of anything that's lurking in the cheese drawer, which is usually either a little boursin or some Maytag blue. Very important: I also toss in about a 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard with the cheese. The sharpness helps. Mix the sauce with the elbows, cover with crushed potato chips ...

*blinks* Never thought I'd see "potato chips" and "bechamel" in the same paragraph. Any particular brand or type?

Hey, no mac and cheese -- or tuna casserole -- is complete without the crushed potato chips up top! No particular brand or type, as long as they're not flavored. Uusally, I just use one of those 99-cent snack bags of regular Lay's -- that's about the right amount for one M&C.
Martha-Girl
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/08/02 23:18:01
quote:
Originally posted by angelfood

I like what my Grandmother used to call Macaroni and Cheese Pie. I've never, unfortunately, been able to replicate it. Maybe someone here can tell me how. It had elbow macaroni, lots of cheese and was held together by a light mixture that had to have contained eggs. There was a good bit of pepper, some butter, etc. It was delicious. Chunks of cheese...oh, my. And the mixture that held it together went all the way to the top of it. I've never been able to make that happen. It wasn't loose, it was, like...pie. Oh, how I miss it.

This is a bit late in response, but what you describe sounds like the only mac & cheese I had until I got to college & found out about the boxes (that's when I also found out about frozen french fries & mashed potatoes from a box...).

My mom & grandmother always cooked up a 1 lb package of elbows, just to al dente and let them drain then placed them in the bottom of a baking dish. To this we added cut up sharp cheddar cheese-pushing it in all over the place so the finished product has chunks of cheese throughout...usually 12 oz or more. In a separate bowl, we'd mix about a quart of half and half (milk works, but it isn't as creamy) with 6 or so eggs (this gets tricky because they always did it more by appearance-thick and slightly yellow) and salt and pepper to taste.

The egg mixture is poured over the mac & cheese, just to cover. Then we top with crushed Ritz crackers and dot with butter. About an hour in a 325/350 F oven until it sets and has the pie-like consistency
described.

This is a holiday tradition in my family, although my husband swears it calls for extra Lipitor...
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/08/03 00:42:32
"How do I like my mac and cheese"? LOL, on someone elses plate! Never have cared for it.

LL
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/08/04 08:57:23
How can you not care for mac & cheese? it's almost an american tradition-- along with baseball/hot dogs/and apple pie?? (just kidding- i know everyone's tastes are different... didn't mean to offend) ANYWAY-- normally i prefer my home made mac and cheese- actually melting a block of good cheddar with some sauteed onions then mixing in the noodles and stewed tomatoes - top with bread crumbs and bake.. BUT in a pinch-- we eat 'daddy mac' which is boxed mac and cheese mix with a variation- instead of adding milk- we add a can of cream of mushroom soup. ( one can per box of mac and cheese).. it gives it a bit of a creamier texture and a little different taste.... try it - you might like it..
jerseygirl127
Sasaku
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/09/11 19:44:45
Creamy and gooey with small tubular noodle shells, and always fresh from the stove top.
hhawk
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/11/12 17:17:07
I saw a nice way to make MacNCheese in one of the Sunday "magizines" that come in the Sunday paper...

From HOME in NYC.. they make it in a Skillet so it's made to order; the only thing they do ahead of time is boil the pasta.
carlton pierre
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/11/12 17:52:02
quote:

I boil up a pound and a half of Barilla elbows (the ridged kind) while I make four cups of bechamel. Into that I add eight ounces of cream cheese, eight ounces of Cabot's hunter-style extra-extra-sharp cheddar, a handful of shredded parmesan and the remains of anything that's lurking in the cheese drawer, which is usually either a little boursin or some Maytag blue. Very important: I also toss in about a 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard with the cheese. The sharpness helps. Mix the sauce with the elbows, cover with crushed potato chips and a cup of sharp cheddar and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Serve as entree.

If my wife doesn't take the leftovers to work for lunch, I make up another cup or so of the sauce, reheat the mac about halfway in the microwave and then combine on the stovetop until heated through. Serve as the side starch with something like meatloaf or pork chops.

I was just thinking as I was reading this recipe, Lucky Bishop, how much I love homemade mac n' cheese. I've not made it in a long time but I will now, by golly. Thanks for the great recipe.

carl reitz
tmiles
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/12/01 16:13:54
I'll admit to liking it with Velveeta. It has been that way in my family for 4 generations now. My grandmother must have been an early Kraft customer. I have tried to make it better, and I have made it better in my opinion, but to show up at a family gathering without making it the "right" way (ie Velveeta, milk and butter) is dangerous. When I make it for just for myself, I prefer Manchego cheese with a little Jack. The shredded Cabot Jack mixture makes a good mac and cheese too.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/12/03 23:23:05
Mac and cheese the way my wonderful late Mom made it is a favorite food of mine as well as a way to briefly recapture a bit of my long lost but wonderful childhood. And when I say long lost, man, I mean looooong lost. She used elbow mac, tons of extra sharp chedder, whole milk and a can of Campbells Mushroom Soup. After all that was combined, she would top it with thick slices of the cheese and bake it to a bubbly, crusty goodness. That and a tall glass of iced Coca Cola is all I need to be at peace with the world. A fine cigar afterwards doesn't hurt.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2004/12/21 17:52:01
Creamettes cheese bake is the best, add a dash of cayenne and a dash of nutmeg, double the cheese. MMM.
Jennie
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/01/22 09:01:04
quote:

Before I met my husband (who is an excellent cook and does most of the cooking), I used to make Tuna Helper Cheesy Noodles. This was probably 13 years ago or more. I recently had some, and realized how spoiled I have become in the interim. That stuff was just nasty! lol

When I was a kid, Mom used to make box Mac & Cheese, and in the last two minutes would throw in chopped hot dogs, and in the last minute, diced green pepper. I've recently begun making this for my own children (5 and 2), and they love it! However, I have to admit I leave out the green pepper. They'd only pick it out, anyway.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/01/22 11:10:46
I have noticed that some of the Hops chain started "closing for remodeling", which usually seems to be restaurant code-speak for "gone under." However, when I was in Lakeland, FL a few weeks ago, we were taken to the newly designed Hops (they are trying to remarket as Hops City Grille or some such). The decor was completely modernized, the menu revamped...and it seemed like a completely new place. It seemed like the biggest innovation they had was to make appetizers and deserts smaller and less expensive so that more people were likely to order them...seems like a good idea, but we'll see if it catches on.

Anyway, one of the sides that they offered was "adult mac and cheese." Seemed like a good compliment to my burger (the only thing I really enjoyed at the old Hops). It was delicious. They used bow tie pasta, in a light cheese sauce. The portion was filling, but small enough that it was clearly designed as a compliment to the main dish.

I am planning to duplicate with the bow tie pasta on my next culinary adventure.

Steve
Stupid_American
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/02/15 19:12:41
Just made some tonight!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/02/16 15:51:10
Ever made Mac N' Cheese in a crockpot? GREAT STUFF. Wish I had recipe handy, basically elbows, 2 small sticks of Cracker Barrel Cheddar (one mild, one sharp),stick of melted butter, 2 eggs, can of evaporated milk, little cayenne, salt, pepper. Leave in pot for 6 hours. If you like browned top, place in baking dish and place under broiler for a few minutes. This is very typical of Southern version that we call "Macaroni Pie" because of richness.
Rick F.
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/02/28 18:35:54
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaBill

. . . basically elbows, 2 small sticks of Cracker Barrel Cheddar (one mild, one sharp),stick of melted butter, 2 eggs, can of evaporated milk, little cayenne, salt, pepper. Leave in pot for 6 hours. If you like browned top, place in baking dish and place under broiler for a few minutes.
Whisk the ingredients together, then mix with the pasta? Is the pasta precooked?
MYmimi
Junior Burger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/04/07 19:46:48
The best mac and cheese I ever ate was about 30(!) years ago at a pot luck. My friend Pearl made her grandmother's recipe which had a creamy velveeta type sauce, but the TOPPING of soft white breadcrumbs, butter and SUGAR was to die for! I believe she put some cayenne in the cheese sauce. Anyhow the golden crunchy sweet topping was exquisite with the tangy sauce and noodles and it was served with a delectable baked ham. I really ought to give it a try now that I remembered it
Jayla
Hamburger
RE: How do you like your Mac and Cheese? 2005/04/08 02:13:55
I've actually heard of people putting Ketchup (Yup, Ketchup) over their Mac n' Cheese !!! Hmmm..I wonder how that tastes ?!? Has anyone else heard of this too ???
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial