The State Of Carnitas Tacos In Austin Texas Part One: Fiesta Mart

Double Cheeseburger
2012/03/18 11:41:15
Starting a new series for folks on the taco hunt in Austin Texas.

Day One: Fiesta Mart is pure sensory overload on the weekends.

Thousands of people converge on the store and begin jockeying for position in the miles of aisles.

I’m good at getting in and getting out but often times I’m way laid by their stellar in store taqueria/hot deli. A carnitas taco will set you back $1.95 [an outrage] but it’s heft is substantial.

This is the pulled pork style carnita where the pork shoulder has been braised thoroughly, the meat shredded off the bone then submerged in the braising liquid til service.

It’s served on standard issue corn tortillas[fresh off their 100k tortilla machine-I asked], doubled up and warm from the steam table.

A small salsa bar sits off to the side offering pico de gallo, limes, cilantro, chopped onion and two kinds of salsa; red and green.

The red is the chile seca style with no tomatoes only rehydrated red chiles. The green is a thin, tomatilla base with a prominent garlic note.

I like to apply the salsa divorceado style with half the taco getting the green treatment and half getting red.

Fiesta Mart
3909 N I-35 Service Rd
Austin, Texas 78722
(512) 406-3900

pic http://chowpapi.com/wordp...2.8.6/wordpress/?p=352
post edited by scrumptiouschef - 2012/03/18 11:43:40
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The State Of Carnitas Tacos In Austin Texas Part One: Fiesta Mart 2012/03/19 00:28:19
We have similiar places in the VOTS called Ranch Markets! Always busy, always fun, always good eats in the in-store taqueria. They have 7 stores in the Phoenix area, 2 stores in El Paso and 2 stores in NM. May be headed your way!
http://prosranch.com
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:The State Of Carnitas Tacos In Austin Texas Part One: Fiesta Mart 2012/03/19 09:51:19
I have been known to make the trek from Georgetown to Fiesta Mart on occasion and never miss the opportunity to grab a couple of their tacos. I usually haul a lot of meat back home as well since their prices are more than reasonable and you can be sure there's no pink slime in anything you buy there.