Celebrity endorsement!

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6100
  • Reward points : 0
Celebrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 12:06 PM
Would any celebrity endorsing a candidate, make you want to vote for that person? Please don't name Political names, as to keep by the rules...just a yes or no, with a short explaination if you feel like it.
Personall I find it laughable for Politicians to think it makes people change minds, but hey, who knows?
<message edited by chewingthefat on Mon, 03/19/12 2:06 PM>

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 12:21 PM
Our primary is tomorrow in Illinois, I have been getting 6+ phone calls a day from various people wanting me to support this or that candidate and I find it so annoying that I will NOT vote for anyone who calls!

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3305
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 12:37 PM
I tend to ignore endorsements by individuals. What I pay more attention to is what organizations are endorsing a candidate. If a whole slew of organizations who support issues I am wholeheartedly against endorse a candidate, then I tend to vote the exact opposite, and vice versa.

I figure celebrities have a right to support whatever candidate they want, but it's just one person's opinion. For me, it's no different from my neighbour or co-worker supporting a candidate, it's just on a larger scale.

On the other hand, people are sheep. I actually know people who vote for candidates based on some celebrity endorsement or another. These are the people who in general do not think for themselves, have never done any research on any candidate, and/or who tend to vote the party ticket.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 1:36 PM
First of all, I am such a staunch Independent, that I normally avoid all primaries, preferring not to declare myself for one party or another, though I always vote in every final election. 

To me, a celebrity endorsement of a candidate immediately brings up the question, why would he or she endorse that candidate; what benefits would the celebrity hope to personally get out of the candidate if they were elected.  Since the resulting answer is usually something I consider completely wrong, it has the opposite effect on me of what the candidate was hoping for, which I will remember when it comes to the final election if that candidate is still around.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 1:51 PM
While a celebrity endorsement doesn't amount to a hill of beans for me, it's been my experience over the years of covering politics that those celebrities who do it do so because they feel the candidate is someone who sees things as they do, and who they truly believe would be the best person for the job. Oprah couldn't possibly want to get anything from Obama, for instance. And Mike Huckabee didn't have anything to offer Chuck Norris.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 1:52 PM
Insofar as Thomas Sowell may be a "celebrity" I'd probably take his endorsement into consideration. 

Same goes for Justices Thomas, Scalia, Alito, & Roberts.  But, the fact that they no longer attend State of the Union Addresses aside, they do not endorse.

As Milton Friedman has passed I can only ask myself WWFD.

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 2:24 PM
MetroplexJim

Insofar as Thomas Sowell may be a "celebrity" I'd probably take his endorsement into consideration. 

Same goes for Justices Thomas, Scalia, Alito, & Roberts.  But, the fact that they no longer attend State of the Union Addresses aside, they do not endorse.

Someone like Sowell, I'd take a second look at someone if he endorsed them, as I admire him and enjoy reading his work... but then, he's a "celebrity" second, and a brilliant economist first. Some famous actor wouldn't be able to sway me in any direction. Some people will vote for someone based on how well they speak, not what they're actually saying, so I think there are people that would vote for someone based on what a celebrity says.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6100
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 2:45 PM
MetroplexJim

I agree totally!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 4:44 PM
I'm voting for anyone these "hotties", Cindy McCain & Sarah Palin are voting for!!!!
I'm not voting for who these Bow Wow's, Jane Fonda, Rosie O'Donnell, Oprah and Barbra Streisand are voting for!
Celebrities will never influence my vote!

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 5:00 PM
I tend to use the "if they are endorsing them I need to find someone else to vote for" approach. Keeping it non political if that idiot sheriff in Arizona endorsed someone I would have to find someone else to support.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 5:01 PM
I have been getting lots of political calls but this afternoon I was geting one every few minutes. Sorry Charlies, I early voted because I am disabled. Totally annoying  and makes me really dislike candidates leaning towards elephants.

Tampico
  • Total Posts : 84
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 9:34 PM
Right wing Women are way better looking. 

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Mon, 03/19/12 9:50 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling that the celebrity endorcements are self-serving... getting their names and faces out there.

The only one that sways me is Dean Martin.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Tue, 03/20/12 2:51 AM
ces1948

I tend to use the "if they are endorsing them I need to find someone else to vote for" approach. Keeping it non political if that idiot sheriff in Arizona endorsed someone I would have to find someone else to support.

Move out here, live with the issues and you'll change your tune.

MetroplexJim
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Tue, 03/20/12 6:32 AM
Tampico

Right wing Women are way better looking. 

During and after the 1984 Election a source of ongoing driving amusement for me was to spot a Mondale bumper sticker, then speed up and "check out" the driver.  Inevitably, it would be a bitter, angry-looking hag that I "wouldn't do with your d*ck".

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4467
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Tue, 03/20/12 7:02 AM
Never.......NEVER confuse a persons ability to make pretend(act)or sing with SMART!

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Tue, 03/20/12 7:37 AM
Heck,  I don't even know who these celebrities are anymore.  I turn on DWTS and can't tell the professional dancers from the celebs.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Wed, 03/21/12 12:14 AM
I look for organizational support. If it were a celebrity whose views I agree with i might listen. Primaries for my party are where I might look at endorsements but again it would be people whose views I perceive to be similar to my own who I would be most likely to listen to. 

MetroplexJim
Re:Celibrity endorsement! - Wed, 03/21/12 8:44 AM
Come to think of it, in 1964 I was influenced by a speech given by an actor.  Thought it should be he who was running for President.  Sure enough, eventually he did.  Ran three times, won twice.