Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH?

I did, big time, I was single, living large, had a business that sold writing instruments, pens, markers, etc., Telemarkrting, befoore it's time, to an extent. I was 27, doing a couple of million a year at said biz, out of Westwood Ca., got skinned by my partner, and wine, women and song, not drugs. Went from millionaire status to about $5.00 in my pocket, living in Oxnard Ca. planning my comeback, it was 1976, I made it back a couple of times, as I again lost my azz in the Oil biz in 1984. Numerous things between then and now, any situatitons you want to share?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 08:53:58
Yes, but Mrs. Metro IV wisely does not permit me to think, talk, or write about Mrs. Metro III. 

OMG, where are my meds? 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/03/21 08:56:07
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 09:01:30
Bob and I are in that situation now-not millionaires, but we had a nice little house of our own, 2 cars, a Harley or two....Now we are renting, 1 car, no Harleys and Bob still cant find a job....But we will bounce back!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 12:08:38
I started my architectural practice on a whim in 1980. I quit a well paying job, opened an office and didn't have a paying client in the fold. I managed to go about 7 months, had about $16 left in my checking account, had my credit cards tapped out and had no equity or good will with which to borrow against. I was wondering how I was going to stay in business and pay my rent. On decision day I got a call out of the clear blue from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for help. They were attempting to design and draw with an in-house staff some state park buildings. They couldn't get it done in time without losing funding. Their solution was to hire me to do them and pay me immediately. I had done a lot of work with them as an employee with another architectural firm as their principal contact. It paid off and we mutually bailed each other out. I lasted another 9 years as an independent architect until the Mall of America architectural team came calling for my help and I hired on and was back in the fold as an employee. That was a three year effort then Target Stores called me. Three course changing episodes in a row in my career from unsolicited calls. My other sideline career with AOL was also from an unsolicited call.
flyseye
Cheeseburger
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 13:13:57
I have pretty much always been poor,sometimes more so than others. I have had a lot of fun though.......
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 14:53:31
I've never been anything like "living large", but I used to have money one time. Then I had a huge setback and had to move back in with my mother. Ever since, every single time I think I've got a handle on it and am starting to look at apartments again, something happens. Now I'm looking at over $40,000 in medical debt still from last year (OK, so I've paid about $8,000 of it so far), so I don't see myself going anywhere any time soon. Now, I consider it a good week if I still have more than $20.00 left in the bank come payday.
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 15:29:50
Went from a great high tech job in a big city with all the perks, to moving across the country and working a part-time temp job that I had to beg to get when I got here (being overqualified is as bad as being under-qualified in some places).
Money is still a little tight, but I'm no longer living paycheck to paycheck, after almost 10 years consisting of a divorce and the money problems surrounding that (the divorce didn't take that long, it was just a part of it), lousy dead-end jobs, and some bad decisions on my part that seemed like good ones at the time. Still a couple things I need to change, but for the most part I don't have a hell of a lot to complain about at the moment. I'm rolling into my 40's gaining a lot more optimism than I had going into my 30's.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 18:43:17
Sold my business when I noticed the economy changing with the understanding I would have a job.

After 3 years they didn't think they needed to employ me anymore and I've been unemployed now for one year.

My days of eating out are now mostly when invited by others.

Cooking a lot of things I call Poor Food.
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 20:58:05
mar52

Sold my business when I noticed the economy changing with the understanding I would have a job.

After 3 years they didn't think they needed to employ me anymore and I've been unemployed now for one year.

Start a Consignment store on Washington Blvd. near Pacific.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/21 22:20:42
chewingthefat

mar52

Excellent business advice for this economy.  i agree.
GB944
Cheeseburger
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/22 11:41:07
It seems that there is a common thread of divorce causing a decline in eating/living standards.

Like Sam Kinison said, "I like being married.  It's just that every five years, they take away half my stuff."
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/22 18:05:02
1986- Bought a Smoked Meat business off an older gentleman who wanted to retire. "Pitts Home-made Country Smoked Meats." FANTASTIC Hams, Bacon & Sausage. Little did I know he had been "Grandfathered' in on many of the State Regulations in FL. When I took over, the boys from Tallahassee showed up with "The Book". I was forced to spend almost all my working capital on Unneccessary "Improvements" and that caused cash flow problems that eventually put me under.
Moral of the story--Do good Due Diligence before buying a business!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/22 21:21:55
what does WTFJH mean?
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/22 21:25:56
Foodbme

1986- Bought a Smoked Meat business off an older gentleman who wanted to retire. "Pitts Home-made Country Smoked Meats." FANTASTIC Hams, Bacon & Sausage. Little did I know he had been "Grandfathered' in on many of the State Regulations in FL. When I took over, the boys from Tallahassee showed up with "The Book". I was forced to spend almost all my working capital on Unneccessary "Improvements" and that caused cash flow problems that eventually put me under.

Good Lord, your situation is so common it hurts. Amazing anything new gets up now. Bureaucrats, bane to any new business person!

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/22 22:06:16
1bbqboy

what does WTFJH mean?

What the f*** just happened.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/22 22:56:23

chewingthefat 

mar52

Great idea except for the rent and insurance factor.  I hear that they're cleaning up the vendors on the Boardwalk soon.  The city wants a different "look".   I was there a couple of weeks ago, the first time in 15 years.  Great for someone wanting to buy sunglasses, T-shirts and medical marijuana.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/23 01:38:21
chewingthefat

Foodbme

Good Lord, your situation is so common it hurts. Amazing anything new gets up now. Bureaucrats, bane to any new business person!

Bureaucrats is Right. And these were just FL State guys, I wasn't even doing interstate business and didn't require USDA. The Feds would have killed me the first week!!!! The old boy had been in business for over 25 years and always had A+ State Inspections. No problems with inspections. Our processing plant was Immaculate, but didn't have all the left handed widgets the inspectors said I "HAD" to have now since it changed hands.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/03/23 14:43:25
Bureaucrats are a major problem.
When I did a simple remodel of my store I HAD TO buy a unisex sign for my bathroom door.

I understood having to have a wider entry door for handicapped access but that sign?
ladygodiva
Hamburger
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/04/14 13:52:28
in 2006 I had a fantastic great paying job, I helped my friends, family, then my job was transferred to India, unfortunately I am making less than a fraction of what I made, It was not my fault that they transferred overseas,
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Have you ever gone from living large to WTFJH? 2012/04/16 00:06:26
Never qualified as living large, but was doing pretty well. I was promoted to associate in my architectural job, wife was an assistant bank manager, nice house, nice neighborhood. Wife developed arthritis and is now on disability with two knee replacements and a hip in the future. We had to sell the house and rent a smaller, manageable place closer to my job. While I have been working my butt off for the last three years, 6 to 7 day a week, I haven't had a raise in almost 6 years.
Its tough times but I have more work than I can get paid to do and I can still cook a crazy good meal in this crappy kitchen...not complaining...yet.