The hardly any seafood festival

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2012/03/25 15:58:52
We had what was supposed to be a seafood festival yesterday here in Ft. Pierce, Fl. The only problem was that out of perhaps 20 food vendors only two were selling seafood. One was a local place that was serving what looked to be great stuff and the other looked kind of like a carnival food truck selling fried shrimp and fried fish, Both these places had lines 50-60 deep while the hotdog, BBQ and Latin stands were empty. People obviously wanted seafood but there was little to be had. We are right on the Indian River adjacent to the Atlantic ocean so it's not like they were trying to have it in Kansas or something (no offense intended). It was pretty wierd. Good music, reasonable beer prices but hardly any seafood.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/25 16:01:39
I've found that happening at a lot of food festivals.

You get the traveling vendors who set up wherever, no matter what the theme is.

Or you can buy sunglasses and T-shirts.
porkbeaks
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/25 17:20:31
I never understood seafood festivals. They offer nothing that isn't available at any seafood restaurant. There are no bargain prices, the lines are long for the food and toilets, the parking/traffic is a hassle, and the weather can be problematic. I guess that's why, during 27 years in Vero Beach, I never went to the one in Sebastian. Now the Frogleg Festival in Fellsmere..........nope, I never went there either. pb
sk bob
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/25 22:06:48
we had a shrimp festival here last year. $5. admission. some local restaraunts had booths, all fried.
bought 2 $4. beers & listened to the bands & left.
we went to Brickyard for burgers.
a lot of seafood festivals down here are a one shot flash in the pan deal with not much thought put into them for making them annual things.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/26 01:22:30
Coastal Living Magazine lists the Top 10 Seafood Festivals in the USA.
http://www.coastalliving.com/travel/top-10/top-10-seafood-festivals-00400000000424/
Only one is in FL.
http://www.shrimpfestival.com/
I think my personal favorite would be the Port Clinton, OH Walleye Festival!!!
http://www.walleyefestival.com/
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/03/26 01:42:48
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/26 10:02:38
Hey!  MH never told me there was a Walleye Festival in Port Clinton!!!   I love walleye and Port Clinton so I am definitely going to attend.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/26 14:48:14
lleechef

Hey!  MH never told me there was a Walleye Festival in Port Clinton!!!   I love walleye and Port Clinton so I am definitely going to attend.

Since that website is not active yet, here's some more info;
http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=60631

fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/26 15:06:29
ces1948

We had what was supposed to be a seafood festival yesterday here in Ft. Pierce, Fl. The only problem was that out of perhaps 20 food vendors only two were selling seafood. One was a local place that was serving what looked to be great stuff and the other looked kind of like a carnival food truck selling fried shrimp and fried fish, Both these places had lines 50-60 deep while the hotdog, BBQ and Latin stands were empty. People obviously wanted seafood but there was little to be had. We are right on the Indian River adjacent to the Atlantic ocean so it's not like they were trying to have it in Kansas or something (no offense intended). It was pretty wierd. Good music, reasonable beer prices but hardly any seafood.

ces, was that the Sandy Shoes? Lived in FP from 01-06.

ces1948
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/26 16:51:54
fishtaco

ces1948

ces, was that the Sandy Shoes? Lived in FP from 01-06.

Yes fishtaco that was the Sandy Shoes, they combined with a seafood festival that was held last year.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/31 11:37:25
http://floridaseafoodfestival.com/

A yearly tradition on The Emerald Coast.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:The hardly any seafood festival 2012/03/31 12:12:46
For the past 6-8 years, we've attended the Charlestown (RI) seafood festival each August.  While the quality is perhaps not up to what one might get in a restaurant and the prices are not all that much different, we find the smaller portions for sampling, outdoor festival surrounding and excellent music (although one should time the bands of interest) to be the reasons we return each year.

Not only are the steamed lobsters, mussels and clams abundant, they they also offer three types of clam chowder (NE, Manhattan and RI) plus freshly shucked oysters & little necks, an outstanding corn/shrimp chowder, fish & chips, calamari, plus shrimp, scallops and even catfish.    Although burgers, roast beef, pizza and BBQ are available, those stands tend not to do all that well for obvious reasons, although a strawberry shortcake does make for a nice dessert.