Carnegie deli meats in the supermarket

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
  • Reward points : 0
Carnegie deli meats in the supermarket - Tue, 04/3/12 11:45 AM
While shopping at Publix yesterday I noticed they are carrying Pastrami and Corned Beef from Carnegie Deli. They are 6-8oz packages or may be 12oz (I'll have to check again) They are unsliced and sell for what seems to be a reasonable price of $6.99. They are in the refrigerated meat section along with the hams etc. Has anyone tried these? I was tempted but would like to hear from someone that's tried them.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Carnegie deli meats in the supermarket - Tue, 04/3/12 1:34 PM
ces1948

While shopping at Publix yesterday I noticed they are carrying Pastrami and Corned Beef from Carnegie Deli. They are 6-8oz packages or may be 12oz (I'll have to check again) They are unsliced and sell for what seems to be a reasonable price of $6.99. They are in the refrigerated meat section along with the hams etc. Has anyone tried these? I was tempted but would like to hear from someone that's tried them.

I tried the pastrami and it was pretty good. Also bought the pot roast and corned beef but haven't tried yet. I thought they'd be a good alternate to take out when running late and having no time to cook. 

They used to have the Pastrami at Costco in bigger packages and I liked it, but they switched to a different vendor and that was not so good. 

I'd say worth a shot, just don't anticipate you are getting an exact duplicate of fresh, NY deli pastrami. It isn't that, but it is decent.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Carnegie deli meats in the supermarket - Tue, 04/3/12 4:58 PM
Our local Publixs carried them packed in a cardboard box about 3-4 years ago and then told us they were no longer available. The pastrami was wonderful. I called the company that I think was National Deli to find out if it was discontinued or if there was another place in the area. They told me that Publix was their only retail distributor at the time. Nice to hear that you can find it in yours. That's the problem with Publix and Winn Dixie down here. Once it disappears from the shelves or you want a special order, forget it, you just get lip service and they tell you it's been discontinued.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Carnegie deli meats in the supermarket - Tue, 04/3/12 5:03 PM
Dawn they just appeared within the last couple of weeks here in the Port St. Lucie area Publix locations so maybe they'll come back to your area.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7745
Re:Carnegie deli meats in the supermarket - Wed, 04/4/12 2:46 PM
Carnegie packs pop-up in the Supermarkets every year during St. Patrick's Day "season" and poof until next year. Like Cadbury eggs maybe.