What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore?

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2012/04/04 02:25:52

The word apparently has become synonymous with "frozen".  If you go to our local supermarkets to the seafood department, most everything is defrosted from frozen bulk packages, yet the placards say "Fresh Fish" . The store brand chicken parts packages for example say, " All Natural" "Fresh" "Never Frozen", yet when they are put out from the back in boxes and the employees stack them into the coolers, they're solid as a rock.
In the bakery, the employees unload boxes with plastic bags full of frozen loaves onto sheet pans and place them on proofing racks b4 baking. The last one might be stretching the point a bit, but the word "fresh" used to mean never frozen, from the kitchen, animal, or field, to you.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/04 13:18:15
By law, seafood must be frozen within some number of hours of being caught, and it is considered fresh. I don't know how long that time is without looking it up, but the vast majority of seafood caught is frozen on the boats before it even gets to land. Don't know about chicken, especially if they are actually labelled "never frozen".

In a bakery, as long as the finished product is not frozen and it is sold within a day of being baked, it is considered fresh.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/04 14:09:10
Good question, and could also apply to restaurant menus.  I've always been bemused by some descriptions, such a breakfast made with two or three "farm fresh" eggs -- does that mean they are fresh this morning, right in from the farm on the farmer's truck, or was there some special speed in the handling of these particular eggs as opposed to that slower restaurant down the street -- or does it mean they were fresh when they were on the farm, who knows how long ago?

Weasel words are everywhere.
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/04 14:27:00
I also like the phrase "Made fresh daily".  That doesn't necessarily mean that what you get was made on that day.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/04 15:35:03
My favorite was when I worked at Ack-A-Me(Acme for you non-NEPA'ers).  The company brought in a new line of chicken to compete with Frank(Fresh, Never Frozen)Purdue.  A big meeting was held with all the sharp dressed company officials and chicken salesmen.  They told us to tell all our customers that our chicken is never frozen, it is packed in ice, and shipped to the stores at 30 degrees.  After about an hour of fielding questions about 32 degrees being the freezing point, and us refusing to tow the company bull$hit line, especially since one smart alec went and got a frozen bird from under the ice, they all left in a huff.

I have a local outlet now for local beef and pork.  Last week I picked up veal shanks for osso bucco at $2.40/pound.  My next project is a local bird man.
joclyn
Cheeseburger
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/07 02:58:23
chicken can be labeled as 'fresh, not frozen' if it's only been frozen to a temp above 0.  if it is frozen to something below 0 then it must be marked as having been frozen. 

one of the more bizarre rules from our gov't.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/07 07:35:21
In recent years, I've been served so-called "fresh-cut" fries in a number of places that were obviously not fresh cut (cut from fresh potatoes perhaps within hours of frying).

I suspect they were "fresh" cut at a factory and then either refrigerated or frozen before being shipped for sale. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/07 08:28:52
Unless boats are a lot faster these days it's kinda hard to believe that fruits and vegetables grown in Chile are "fresh".
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:What Does "Fresh Mean" Anymore? 2012/04/07 08:29:54
mjambro

In recent years, I've been served so-called "fresh-cut" fries in a number of places that were obviously not fresh cut (cut from fresh potatoes perhaps within hours of frying).

I suspect they were "fresh" cut at a factory and then either refrigerated or frozen before being shipped for sale. 

Unless you are at Five Guys where they cut them before your eyes.