Hard-Boiled Eggs

Filet Mignon
2012/04/06 16:19:06
Every year around this time millions of eggs are hard-boiled, artistically decorated, and then thrown into the garbage. Frankly, that's probably just as well. Because most hard-boiled eggs are pretty terrible. The whites are rubbery, the yolks are pale and mealy and, even worse, surrounded by that sulfur-green ring of shame.

Cooking hard-boiled eggs is easy; cooking them right is not.

Here's what you do: Arrange the eggs in a single layer in a wide pan. Cover them generously with water. Bring them to a boil without covering the pan. Turn off the heat and let them stand for about 15 minutes. That's it. The white is firm but still slightly creamy, the yolk is deep orange and rich.

I learned this method almost 20 years ago the old-fashioned way - from somebody's mom.

Just stick with the original. When something is so simple and works so well, there's no need to complicate it.

One final hint: The eggs will be much easier to shell if after cooking you give them a gentle crack and then put them in an ice water bath. The cold shrinks the egg just enough to pull it away from the shell.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/06 16:40:43
This is the method that I use.  It works and the yolks don't have that gray coating.

I pour off some of the water and then shake the pan to crack the shells.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/06 17:07:00
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/06 17:26:22
How ironic!
National Egg Salad Week is the week after Easter!
http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/Nationaleggsaladweek.html
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/06 17:30:35
According to the Incredible Edible Egg people, (And thy are the eggxperts!) here's some tips on peeling an egg:

Peeling

Removing the shell and membranes from a hard-boiled egg.
Opinion among researchers is divided as to whether or not salt in the cooking water helps make hard-boiled eggs easier to peel. Some research indicates that a 1 to 10% salt level (2 to 4 tablespoons per gallon of water) makes unoiled eggs easier to peel, but peelability of oiled eggs is not significantly affected. About 90% of the eggs available at retail are unoiled.
A nicely centered yolk makes very attractive deviled eggs and garnishes. However, as an egg ages, the white thins out which gives the yolk more opportunity to move about freely. This can result in a displaced yolk when you cook the egg. Using the freshest eggs possible will minimize this displacement, but very fresh eggs are more difficult to peel after hard boiling. Most researchers agree that using eggs that are “not too fresh” will help make peeling easier.
The air cell that forms between the shell membranes as the egg ages helps to separate shell from egg but, in very fresh eggs, the air cell is still small. The best compromise for attractive eggs with centered yolks that are relatively easy to peel seems to be using eggs that have been refrigerated for about a week to 10 days. Some new research suggests that yolk centering may be better if you store eggs small-end up for 24 hours before hard-boiling.
Immediately after cooking, thoroughly cool eggs in a bowl of ice or under running cold water; five minutes isn’t too long. Peel the eggs right after cooling for immediate use or refrigerate them in the shell in the carton for use within one week. To peel an egg, crackle the shell all over by gently tapping the egg on a table or countertop. Roll the egg between your hands to loosen the shell. Then peel off the shell, starting at the large end. Hold the egg under running water or dip it in water to make peeling easier.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/07 06:05:11
Dr Q,

I use the same method but add an extra step (cuz that's what Julia did) after the cooking, I put them in an ice bath for two minutes, while they are cooling down I bring the water back up to a rolling boil.

After the two minutes they go back into the boiling water for 10 seconds. Then back into the ice bath to completely cool. I also crack each egg before going into the ice bath for the final cooling....perfect everytime and the brief cooling and dunking into boiling water makes them easy to peel.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/07 10:03:32
No brainer easiest, hard boiled eggs.........
http://www.egglandsbest.c...ard-cooked-peeled.aspx
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/07 10:03:47
I use the same method also, but the extra step I add, particularly if I am making pickled eggs, is to pierce the large end before boiling.  I think older eggs peel more easily as well.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/07 11:57:43
This is another one of those things that will produce as many ways to do as there are posts!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/07 17:06:15
rebeltruce
Dr Q,
I use the same method but add an extra step (cuz that's what Julia did) after the cooking, I put them in an ice bath for two minutes, while they are cooling down I bring the water back up to a rolling boil.
After the two minutes they go back into the boiling water for 10 seconds. Then back into the ice bath to completely cool. I also crack each egg before going into the ice bath for the final cooling....perfect everytime and the brief cooling and dunking into boiling water makes them easy to peel.

Sounds like too much work, but hey, whatever floats your boat! Knock yourself out!
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/08 08:35:04
Foodbme

rebeltruce
Dr Q,

Sounds like too much work, but hey, whatever floats your boat! Knock yourself out!

Maybe....but it work on all eggs so far as peeling goes...fresh or "aged"...the 2 minute cooling and then the dunk in boiling water is really just to ensure easy peeling. Other then that it's the same method mentioned in the first post....
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Hard-Boiled Eggs 2012/04/08 10:36:12
Foodbme

How ironic!
National Egg Salad Week is the week after Easter!
http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/Nationaleggsaladweek.html

Of course it is.