Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat?

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
  • Reward points : 0
Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 5:35 PM
Hi,
JaneDough and I will be driving my daughter's college (Univ. of Arizona) apartment contents back to PA in a 12 ft. rental truck.
Our trip itinerary: Tucson to El Paso, TX on Mother's Day. Arriving around 5pm. Next morning, 5/14, we're headed to Mesquite TX for the night. Tues. 5/15, it's on to Nashville, TN where we'll stay that night. Wed. May 16 finds us on the road to Strasburg, VA (with time in TN hopefully to meet Sundancer!). We'll bunk there that night and the next morning, we'll finish the trip back to the western suburbs of Philly. I can (and have) easily check the Roadfood archives both here on the site and in my various editions of the book, but I want my Roadfood friends to give us suggestions for "don't miss" RF breakfast, lunch, & dinner stops. 
Some of you know that I'm on a strict diet but, I'm throwing caution to the wind that week and eating. I'm waiting for your ideas.
<message edited by CheeseWit on Mon, 04/9/12 5:47 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 7:39 PM
For Nashville, I have to suggest The Loveless for their biscuits, country ham, and of course their hash browns casserole.

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 7:55 PM
Thanks Michael. The Loveless is a sure winner. I was there a few years back, but Jane hasn't been.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9565
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 8:09 PM
Payne's Bar-B-Que
1762 Lamar Ave
Memphis, TN 38114
(901) 272-1523
<message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 04/9/12 8:10 PM>

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 9:58 PM
ditto on Payne's 

The best BBQ in Memphis that I've ever had!

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 10:27 PM
Okay. Payne's is on the list. Any thoughts on Texas, especially between El Paso and Dallas?

Foodbme
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 11:00 PM
CheeseWit

Okay. Payne's is on the list. Any thoughts on Texas, especially between El Paso and Dallas?

There's not a heck of a lot to eat between El Paso & Dallas unless you hit some roadkill and build a fire alongside the highway!

Foodbme
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 11:14 PM
CheeseWit

A Locals Place - Ain't pretty but it's good. You might want to get your sauce on the side or they'll slop it on heavy.
Sams BBQ, Midland
1113 E Scharbauer Dr, Midland, TX 79705

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 11:19 PM
Thanks. Was hoping for something in Midland or Odessa and Sam's might work. I say "might" only because of the time of day that we'd be rolling through town.

Foodbme
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Mon, 04/9/12 11:44 PM
CheeseWit

Thanks. Was hoping for something in Midland or Odessa and Sam's might work. I say "might" only because of the time of day that we'd be rolling through town.

Don't know their hours & they don't have a web site. (To me that's a good sign. Been in business a while and don't need no damn web site!)
Here's the PH# (915) 570-1082

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Tue, 04/10/12 7:44 AM
Thanks for the Sam's tip, Jim!

JaneDough
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Tue, 04/10/12 11:42 AM
Sam's sounds good to me whatever time of day we roll into Midland! Bring it on and make it happennnnn!!!

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Wed, 04/11/12 7:39 AM
I need some ideas for these specific areas: El Paso, TX for dinner (keep in mind that it'll be Mother's Day & a Sunday), lunch in the Little Rock, AR area, dinner near Strasburg, VA. Thanks for your help!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9788
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Wed, 04/11/12 8:19 AM
CW-
Sounds like a great trip!  For dinner in El Paso, you should check out Cattleman's Steakhouse.  Really good steaks in a fantastic atmosphere.  I should note, it is about a half hour east of El Paso, right off of I-10.

In Little Rock, I am a huge fan of Doe's Eat Place.  Truthfully, I have enjoyed my meals here even more than the original location in Greenville, MS.  They are open for lunch on M-F.  As long as you are in LR, you may as well end your meal with a slice of pie from Hunka Pie!

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Wed, 04/11/12 9:01 AM
Thanks Cliff! Doe's Eat Place was on my list, but thanks for Cattleman's and Hunka Pie!
Please don't hesitate to ring in with other ideas - either on here or privately.

Foodbme
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Thu, 04/12/12 2:48 AM
There are 2 Truckstops worth mentioning in the El Paso Area.
  • Truckstops of America in Las Cruces NM. It's the original location of the chain and set the standards for Restaurants in the Truckstop Industry.
  • Petro just East of El Paso. Also the originasl of the chain. The Iron Skillet restaurant is legand.
Not Fancy for Mothers Day, but good eats.

Foodbme
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Thu, 04/12/12 3:09 AM

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Thu, 04/12/12 9:48 AM
Thanks for the additions Jim!

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 9:40 AM
Any ideas for the stretch between Knoxville, TN and Strasburg, VA? We'll be driving on I-81.

buffetbuster
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 12:00 PM
CW-
Between Knoxville and Strasburg, there is no doubt that my first choice for a stop would be Ridgewood Barbecue, which I'm sure you already know all about.

Another place worth checking out is Dip Dogs in Marion, VA.  Dip dogs are similar to corndogs, only better.  They also make excellent milkshakes here.  Dip Dogs is less than a minute drive off of I-81.

And if you are in the mood for hot dogs, check out Skeeter's in Wytheville, VA.

buffetbuster
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 12:08 PM
In Little Rock, you may also want to know about Charlotte's Eats and Sweets.  It is located in Keo, which is a little bit of a drive, southeast of the city.  Only open for lunch, they have a country teahouse of an atmosphere.  They have a very good sandwich menu and the sides are homemade, but the best reason to visit is for the spectacular pies.

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 12:32 PM
bb: Thanks again for your ideas. Yes, knew Ridgewood Barbecue. Also knew about Skeeter's, but haven't been to Dip Dogs.

Charlotte's Eat and Sweets sounds good but is probably off my list of options as it's away from my traveling direction due to time constraints.
<message edited by CheeseWit on Sat, 04/14/12 3:41 PM>

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 12:57 PM
If you're going up I-81 Ridgewood would be quite a way off your route IIRC.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 1:48 PM
I'll second buffetbuster's recommendation of Skeeter's in Wytheville.

CheeseWit
Re:Tucson, AZ to Philadelphia, PA area via rental truck: Where should we eat? - Sat, 04/14/12 3:39 PM
Yeah, Ridgewood is probably too far off my course to go to. So, maybe Skeeter's will work for us in Virginia.
<message edited by CheeseWit on Sat, 04/14/12 3:42 PM>