Late night food in Chicago 'burbs

Gilberts Sausages
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Wed, 04/11/12 4:51 PM
Hi, looking to see if anyone knows of towns in the Chicago suburbs that have late night push cart type food.  Most likely hot dogs I suppose.  I'm looking to do something this summer in my hometown, but the city ordinances don't currently have anything written in for it.

I was told to find other towns that have something similar (I've only found a late night hot dog/brat stand in Naperville) to set precedent for my town allowing the same.

Anyone from the Chicago area ever seen late night food served outside??  Feeding drunk people as they let out of the bars is a magical formula if my city will let me...

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3217
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Wed, 04/11/12 10:34 PM
It's not just a street peddler's license that you seek, you may need a specific license for late hour vending. The City of Milwaukee offers that license. Check out the late night carts in the Third Ward and nearby down town wards.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Thu, 04/12/12 1:42 AM
chicagostyledogs's good advice aside, there's a reason there are no late night food carts in Chicago's suburbs: There is no late nightlife that needs to be fed!  At least not any centralized nightlife where you could set up and feed the masses.  For that, you need to hit the neighborhoods in the city, and I'm not sure what kind of licensing you'd need to make that happen.  As I'm sure you know, Chicago is a tough nut to crack when it comes to street food.

Buddy

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9528
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Thu, 04/12/12 2:38 AM
Based on comments, we're not sure if you're talking about setting up in IL or WI. I read your post both ways.

ALLGOOD
  • Total Posts : 167
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Thu, 04/12/12 6:45 AM
Gilberts Sausages

Hi, looking to see if anyone knows of towns in the Chicago suburbs that have late night push cart type food.  Most likely hot dogs I suppose.  I'm looking to do something this summer in my hometown, but the city ordinances don't currently have anything written in for it.

I was told to find other towns that have something similar (I've only found a late night hot dog/brat stand in Naperville) to set precedent for my town allowing the same.
Anyone from the Chicago area ever seen late night food served outside??  Feeding drunk people as they let out of the bars is a magical formula if my city will let me...

If it's Sheboygan you were planning on setting up in, good call....I hear Bob Ryan has some time on his hands now and he's probably going to be your best late night after-bar customer. . . just sayin'

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Thu, 04/12/12 12:36 PM
There isn't much nightlife in the Western suburbs that isn't a restaurant and pretty much all of the bars I can think of serve food.

Gilberts Sausages
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Thu, 04/12/12 5:08 PM
Yeah, sorry it was probably a little confusing.  My sausage business is based out of Wisconsin but I'm looking to set up in St. Charles, IL.  Despite what Buddy seems to think  there is a little bit of action out here in the bustling 'burbs!  Okay, so it's very little, but enough to keep us non-city folks occupied.  Naperville is a busy town on summer weekend nights, and St. Charles gets pretty busy too when college kids are back in town.  There ARE late night food vendors in Naperville that do pretty well.

Definitely wouldn't be a huge operation, but there's enough drunks stumbling around to at least give it a shot a couple times.  In St. Charles most or all of the bar/restaurants stop serving food before their 1 AM close times, so I think I could capitalize on the post-closing patrons not busy getting public urination tickets...

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9528
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 3:04 AM
I'm assuming you have someone to run it. Making Sausages all day and selling them all night creates 20 hour work days! 

kland01s
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 9:30 AM
Gilberts Sausages

Yeah, sorry it was probably a little confusing.  My sausage business is based out of Wisconsin but I'm looking to set up in St. Charles, IL.  Despite what Buddy seems to think  there is a little bit of action out here in the bustling 'burbs!  Okay, so it's very little, but enough to keep us non-city folks occupied.  Naperville is a busy town on summer weekend nights, and St. Charles gets pretty busy too when college kids are back in town.  There ARE late night food vendors in Naperville that do pretty well.

Definitely wouldn't be a huge operation, but there's enough drunks stumbling around to at least give it a shot a couple times.  In St. Charles most or all of the bar/restaurants stop serving food before their 1 AM close times, so I think I could capitalize on the post-closing patrons not busy getting public urination tickets...

I live 4 miles away from St Charles, am I missing something? I know there are a lot of bars and restaurants downtown but really wouldn't think you would get that much business. But then, I'm not a college student who hangs out in bars! Naperville I understand because North Central College runs along the edge of the downtown.
<message edited by kland01s on Fri, 04/13/12 10:28 AM>

Gilberts Sausages
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 10:54 AM
You'd be surprised.  When I first moved to St. Charles I used to love the summer weekend bar scene.  Now that I'm older and have kids, being at a bar past 10:00 makes me want to puke because some of the bars are just like a typical sweaty, over-crowded campus bar.

This is not my entire business model here kland, I'm not as dumb as I look.  Just an idea to promote my brand in my hometown and maybe make a few extra bucks.  As a family man, my Friday and Saturday nights are usually wide open, which is the only time I would do this.

kland01s
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 11:50 AM
Not trying to criticize Giilberts , just sayin' Maybe if you position yourself in the courtyard next to the parking garage, you are within 2 blocks of about 10 or more restaurants and bars and I bet most of them use that garage or nearby.

Gilberts Sausages
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 4:14 PM
That's the plan!  Wish me luck, maybe I'll see you out there some early morning peeing on the side of a building...

kland01s
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 4:17 PM
That will be the day! I'm usually in bed by 9! Back in my day, a million years ago, I'd be right there!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Fri, 04/13/12 11:28 PM
I say go for it, my friend.I lived in Sheboygan for awhile-dont do it there! The cops bust you even before you enjoy a brat on the street!

PurpleDog
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Wed, 05/16/12 9:37 PM
I used to live in Lisle, the town next to Naperville. I’d KILL to be allowed to operate a dog cart in the downtown Naperville area.  Downtown and the Riverwalk area are jam packed with hundreds of people from Memorial Day thru Halloween. 
Having said that however, I know the local government up there. I highly doubt the city would ever allow a cart or foodtruck to operate anywhere near downtown. It's a shame; it would almost be worth moving back and putting up with the winters. =) 
<message edited by PurpleDog on Wed, 05/16/12 9:53 PM>

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3217
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Wed, 05/16/12 11:50 PM
Naperville allows four licensed carts per year. The application deadline is by November 1st.

kland01s
Re:Late night food in Chicago 'burbs - Thu, 05/17/12 9:21 AM
He's talking about operating in St Charles which is even more restrictive. They only allow vending until 8 pm, 10 pm with special permission on special occasions amongst other regulations.