Propane bottle mounting

DWags541
  • Total Posts : 174
  • Reward points : 0
Propane bottle mounting - Thu, 04/12/12 11:34 PM
Anyone have any plans/photos they would like to share of a fabricated propane bottle mount for the back bumper of their truck?

I will be using a 30 or 40# tank.

Thanks!

Dave

BTM676
  • Total Posts : 202
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Fri, 04/13/12 12:15 AM
I'll take some better pictures of the two brackets i made to hold 100lbs tanks. Here is one for now.

" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />

BTM676
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Fri, 04/13/12 12:27 AM
The black bracket was off a dump truck. I extended the arms with 1/8x2in flat stock. The green one is 100% made from scratch. The brackets are 1/8 inch thick steel plate. I welded hinges to both brackets for easy on and off. I made T-handles with from threaded rod, smooth rod and a few nuts. Each bracket is fish plated with 1/4 inch steel plate held in with 1/2 bolts with lock nuts.

BTM676
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Sat, 04/14/12 12:09 PM
[image]http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/%3Ca%20href=" alt="" /> 

BTM676
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Sat, 04/14/12 12:11 PM
Here are the pictures i promised. Any questions just ask.

DWags541
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Sun, 04/15/12 2:39 PM
Thanks for the pics. Looks great. Wish I knew how to weld!

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Sun, 04/15/12 2:54 PM
I know that it is against NFPA rules to mount propane tanks on the rear of an RV. Just a heads up. If you got rear-ended and fire resulted, your insurance may decline due to location of LP tanks. You may want to check with your local bulk propane fill company about the location.

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Sun, 04/15/12 6:45 PM
Seems to be very common in the East.

lornaschinske
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Sun, 04/15/12 7:49 PM
Common or not, I would check with the local bulk bottler. But then I have been rear ended (bumped very hard) twice by cops (Thank goodness I had my hitchhaul on the back of the jeep) and neither pulled over when I did. JERKS! I also had one of those jacked up 4WD testosterone trucks drive over my hitch haul and hang his front bumper on it at a stop light. I tore up his crappy bumper as I pulled away. JERK... too busy talking on his cellphone to even realize what he did. He was leaking something too. Those incidents have made me a little watchful when it comes to folks pulling up behind me. that and driving the Class C.  I would not carry an LP tank in the rear like that. But to each his own.

DWags541
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Mon, 04/16/12 1:06 AM
lornaschinske

Common or not, I would check with the local bulk bottler. But then I have been rear ended (bumped very hard) twice by cops (Thank goodness I had my hitchhaul on the back of the jeep) and neither pulled over when I did. JERKS! I also had one of those jacked up 4WD testosterone trucks drive over my hitch haul and hang his front bumper on it at a stop light. I tore up his crappy bumper as I pulled away. JERK... too busy talking on his cellphone to even realize what he did. He was leaking something too. Those incidents have made me a little watchful when it comes to folks pulling up behind me. that and driving the Class C.  I would not carry an LP tank in the rear like that. But to each his own.

In your message, you describe 3 traffic incidents that would seem to require some assessment of property damage and maybe exchanging info; two involving cops?! Where do you live where you are so casually hit (and run!) from behind so often?

mofood
  • Total Posts : 117
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Mon, 04/16/12 10:45 AM
I talked to the stae fire Marshall's office here in Utah (there is one person in charge of propane). He said I could hang up to five 100 lb'ers off the back. That's a lot of propane!
<message edited by mofood on Mon, 04/16/12 10:46 AM>

lornaschinske
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Mon, 04/16/12 11:44 AM
DWags541

lornaschinske

In your message, you describe 3 traffic incidents that would seem to require some assessment of property damage and maybe exchanging info; two involving cops?! Where do you live where you are so casually hit (and run!) from behind so often?

Used to live.... Marion County, TN.

BTM676
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Mon, 04/16/12 9:29 PM
Today i just talked to PA DOT police. There is no law saying anything about propane on the back of the truck. He insisted to use the right markers and alot of reflective tape.

DWags541
Re:Propane bottle mounting - Wed, 05/1/13 8:22 PM
This is what I ended up doing:

The hinged part sandwiches the metal of the top of the propane bottle perfectly and there is a hole where a lock can be put through.