Hot sauce on BBQ

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2012/04/20 17:10:56
Some friends on another group have been discussing a couple of black owned BBQ places in Gainesville, FL back in the 60's-70's. The places were named Pres and Ed's and Parkers. Apparently they competed with each other to have the hottest sauce in town. Now this was long before the chicken wing craze hit so these sauces were meant for the BBQ meats, pork, goat etc. At one time one of them had 13 different sauces on the menu with varying degree of heat.
I've eaten quite a bit of BBQ but putting a hot sauce on it never appealed. I do like a somewhat spicy sauce and also willing to eat it sauce free if the meat is tasty enough but these guys seemed to make it pretty much all about the sauce.
Any comments?
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 01:01:47
I put Cholula on damn near everything, including ribs and pulled pork.
edwmax
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 03:12:35
ces1948

Some friends on another group have been discussing a couple of black owned BBQ places in Gainesville, FL back in the 60's-70's. The places were named Pres and Ed's and Parkers. Apparently they competed with each other to have the hottest sauce in town. Now this was long before the chicken wing craze hit so these sauces were meant for the BBQ meats, pork, goat etc. At one time one of them had 13 different sauces on the menu with varying degree of heat.
I've eaten quite a bit of BBQ but putting a hot sauce on it never appealed. I do like a somewhat spicy sauce and also willing to eat it sauce free if the meat is tasty enough but these guys seemed to make it pretty much all about the sauce.
Any comments?

what's to comment???   Each to their own.  ... mild, medium & hot is usually on Southern BBQ tables.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 03:50:19
Good 'Que don't need no damn sauce!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 05:16:23
I agree, Mike S. !!
edwmax
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 08:13:40
Foodbme

Good 'Que don't need no damn sauce!

.... ....
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 09:00:26
-Never!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 09:32:27
I like hot sauce on my barbeque. Most often I use Cholula, but sometimes I get out the Sriracha.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 10:24:25
Historians agree that the "original" 'cue (and yes - it's 'cue, not 'que) is presently known as Eastern Carolina whole hog.  It is both prespared with and served with a spicy vingear-based sauce (which, BTW, does NOT include tomato in any form).  Typically it is hot.

We buy Scott's Sauce online ( www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com ) and use it on both pork and chicken.  I carry it with me to the 'que joints here in Texas where I apply it liberally over pulled pork or pork ribs.  Mrs. Metro reduces it to make the base for what we call "hot gravy"; it is fabulous.

Of course we don't put it on brisket (" 'que" with a q).  For most of what we get around Dallas I prefer Lea & Perrins to any of the sticky, sweet drek they usually slop on it.  So far here in Texas the only brisket I have gotten that lived up to the general hysteria was at Tom & Bingo's up in Lubbock.  I now order ribs at Sonny Bryan's and Clark's Outpost.  Can't wait to visit Franklin's down in Austin.

Several above mention Cholula.  I have that on well-done hash browns; it is delicious for that and with roast pork, but not nearly as hot & tangy as Scott's.

Incidently, Anthony Bourdain (in this weeks KC 'que edition of No Reservations) said that Eastern Carolina whole hog is his favorite 'cue.  That show's subtext of Tony's Russian friend wanting to be the "next Adam Richman" was hilarious.  Another highlight was an organic farmer's commenting "Imagine how good Stroud's would be if they started with good chicken".

P.S.:  Rumor has it that Bourdain filmed recently at Franklin's.  Can't wait to see what he says; if he prefers the best of Texas to Eastern Carolina minced whole hog.  I'd like to see a show with Wilber Shirley vs. Aaron Franklin:  'Cue vs. 'Que!   
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/04/21 10:34:32
3 Olives
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 17:44:18
I don't put hot sauce on my cue, but I do like sauces with some heat. Kansas City's Cowtown NIGHT OF THE LIVING BARBQ SAUCE is the perfect sauce (if you like some heat) for pulled pork.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 19:55:18
MetroplexJim 
P.S.:  Rumor has it that Bourdain filmed recently at Franklin's.  Can't wait to see what he says; if he prefers the best of Texas to Eastern Carolina minced whole hog.  I'd like to see a show with Wilber Shirley vs. Aaron Franklin:  'Cue vs. 'Que!   

Bourdain was indeed at Franklin's. He proclaims their Brisket, "The finest I've ever eaten."  Will need to watch the show to see in there's any mention of pig meat.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/21 23:17:26
Bourdain's current series featuring Texas' restaurants is on Monday nights at 9:00PM CST.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 04:04:57
Cholula, to me, offers the best blend of hot and flavor. I no longer need killer heat but want some, also want more than heat and vinegar, which Tobasco, Texas Pete and so many others offer.

It goes on a lot of my food, including hash browns and eggs.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 06:52:21
Twinwillow

Bourdain's current series featuring Texas' restaurants is on Monday nights at 9:00PM CST.

DVR is set.  Thanks!
ces1948
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 09:47:05
Here's the ad from one of the places that I mentioned in the op.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 13:20:57
I like a hot sauce that compliments the barbeque without screaming out... I've added hot sauce.

Back in the '70s I ate at a barbecue place in Hollywood called Houston's.  They served what seemed like a Sambal Oelek on the table.  That chili sauce kicked up a pulled pork sandwich to a hightened level.

Hmmm... wonder if they're still there.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 13:23:02
They are and it's Huston's Texas Pit Bar-B-Cue.
It's now on my list of must tries.
Ed Face
Junior Burger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 17:19:10
I sometimes add hot sauce to BBQ, it depends on my mood. My feeling is if it tastes good to you, put it on. BBQ should be fun, so do what you want and enjoy.
Tampico
Hamburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/22 19:05:59
Michael Hoffman

I like hot sauce on my barbeque. Most often I use Cholula, but sometimes I get out the Sriracha.

Sriracha and Cholula are great products. Sriracha is actually an American made product from Los Angeles.  The two can be used on almost everything.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/23 10:42:11
I have been known to add Chipotle Tabasco on BBQ.
brisketboy
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/23 11:31:25
I'll throw my two cents in and say that it's Cholula for me. But I don't put anything on brisket, particularly after standing in line at Franklin's.
SeamusD
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/23 15:02:00
I like a mild to medium spicy sauce on bbq, definitely not as hot as I would want on something like chicken wings. A nice slow smoky burn is good. I met "The Man" at Dixie's BBQ in Bellevue, WA, spooned by Gene Porter himself onto my brisket sandwich, and that about cured me of super hot bbq. Easily the hottest stuff I've ever eaten in my life.

Cholula and it's cheaper cousin, Tapatio, are probably my two favorite hot sauces. On the odd occasion I get wings delivered, I'll order medium buffalo style and add a healthy dose of either one after the fact.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/23 18:08:35
On ocassion, when the barbecue needs sauce, I like a spicier sauce.  If none are available, Cholula is also my go-to to add a kick.  I like the Carolina vinegar-pepper sauces on pulled pork as well.  Tabasco doesn't have enough flavor, just heat.  Franks' is good, but a bit too mild. 

The best BBQ, though, needs no sauce.  If only there were more of the best bbq available.  
ces1948
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/23 18:18:33
I like hot sauce that has flavor not just heat but I put it on things that lacks flavor like IMO pinto beans.
I had a boss one time who took me to his favorite hamburger joint. He kept telling how good the burgers were. When they brought the burgers he put a good two tablespoons of hot sauce (probably franks) on his. I asked him how he could tell if the burger was any good.
post edited by ces1948 - 2012/04/23 18:22:02
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/24 17:40:45
ces1948

I like hot sauce that has flavor not just heat but I put it on things that lacks flavor like IMO pinto beans.
I had a boss one time who took me to his favorite hamburger joint. He kept telling how good the burgers were. When they brought the burgers he put a good two tablespoons of hot sauce (probably franks) on his. I asked him how he could tell if the burger was any good.

I know what you mean. I tease people when I see them ruining a perfectly cooked sausage with mustard or God forbid...chili. How can you taste the hot dog?
post edited by gostillerz - 2012/04/25 20:14:29
Tampico
Hamburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/26 07:09:23
gostillerz

ces1948

I know what you mean. I tease people when I see them ruining a perfectly cooked sausage with mustard or God forbid...chili. How can you taste the hot dog?

What do you put on your hot dog? Or do you eat it dry?
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/26 12:33:47
Tampico

gostillerz

ces1948

What do you put on your hot dog? Or do you eat it dry?

Mustard, onion, bright green relish, tomato, pickle, sport peppers and celery salt.

My first post was meant to be a joke ;)
Rusty246
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/26 13:01:54
ces1948

Any comments?

I've lived here in Gainesville for 48 years, I remember Pres and Ed's would go there from UF and pick up lunch.  Their building still stands but it's been empty for many years, Parkers I don't recall.  I too like hot sauce on BBQ pork or chicken only.
ces1948
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/26 15:44:42
Rusty246

I've lived here in Gainesville for 48 years, I remember Pres and Ed's would go there from UF and pick up lunch.  Their building still stands but it's been empty for many years, Parkers I don't recall.  I too like hot sauce on BBQ pork or chicken only.

Rusty you might like the facebook page "vintage gainesville" which is where the original discussion took place. There are some wonderful old pictures there.
I seem to recall Parkers but not the exact location.
AndreaB
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/26 18:33:51
I like Pappy's Triple X or Pappy's Moonshine Madness for BBQ. 
3fan4evr
Hamburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/28 04:01:14
Chulula on wings.

Texas Pete on 'Cue & hot dogs.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/28 10:45:52
I actually like Emeril's "Kick It Up" hot sauce the best but, it's nowhere to be seen lately. Anyone seen it on their store shelves? It might be discontinued.
I've been using Tapatio (made in LA) and Crystal. I'll buy Cajun Chef from time to time as well.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/28 11:02:21
Twinwillow

I actually like Emeril's "Kick It Up" hot sauce the best but, it's nowhere to be seen lately. Anyone seen it on their store shelves? It might be discontinued.
I've been using Tapatio (made in LA) and Crystal. I'll buy Cajun Chef from time to time as well.

I love the taste of Crystal. I've used it and Frank's ever since I saw an article where famous chefs were asked about there favorite hot sauces and those to got many good reviews from them. It isn't all about the heat!
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/04/30 12:40:54
Dinosaur Bar-B-Cue makes a Wango Tango sauce that has nice flavor and heat.  I used it in conjuction with their slathering sauce, for a little extra heat.
chucktay1
Junior Burger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/27 06:24:16
I do the same damn thing, Mike. :)
Rusty246
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/27 08:58:24
ces1948

Rusty246

Rusty you might like the facebook page "vintage gainesville" which is where the original discussion took place. There are some wonderful old pictures there.
I seem to recall Parkers but not the exact location.

Thanks ces, I tried but it seems that since it's a "group"(and the group is closed) I can only see the first picture of Woolworth's and I remember it vividly! I don't know a whole lot about FB but enough to find my way around...I think.
brisketboy
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/27 09:58:22
We recently had an office party catered by the most mediocre crap calling itself barbeque and of course it was Rudy's on Research, and I know why this stuff needs sauce.
Hot Dog Empire
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/27 19:49:43
I put Sriracha on everything. I keep a bottle in my car, my backpack that I carry with me everywhere, fridge, backup bottle in the cabinet, 1 in the camper, I even used to keep one in my desk drawer at work - when I was chained to it a few years ago.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/28 15:23:30
If it's pre-sauced pulled pork I'll use some tabasco or Franks on it. If it comes without sauce, and is good, then I don't use anything except some BBQ sauce (if the place has a good one). Good 'Que doesn't need much.
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/28 16:51:18
I make a sauce here I call Volcano, it's our Old Fashioned with Siriracha, very popular.
ces1948
Re:Hot sauce on BBQ 2012/06/28 17:58:23
Not trying to start anything but years ago I used to put hot sauce on a lot of things. Then it occurred to me that I was no longer just enhancing the flavor of the food but actually replacing the flavor of what I was eating. I've backed off the use of hot sauce on most things now but still use it on a few things.