Pickled green tomatoes

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1058
  • Reward points : 0
Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 04/27/12 1:20 PM
Hi all. Just sitting around daydreaming about the past and the topic somehow turned to pickled green tomatoes. I remember seeing them in barrels in some of the Jewish delis in my north Chicago neighborhood. I also remember liking them. Can I safely assume that pickling green tomatoes is pretty much the same as picling cucumbers?

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 04/27/12 1:32 PM
I never had pickled green tomatoes, only fried, but it sounds like it would be the same process as for cukes.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 04/27/12 2:19 PM
Very similar preperation.

As a kid, I loved them lots.  As an adult, not so much. I don't know why tastes change like that.

http://www.closetcooking....ed-green-tomatoes.html

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 04/27/12 3:16 PM
Hi Mar,
You said "I don't know why tastes change like that."  Another recent poster said he/she is convinced that they romanticize the foods of their youth.  I've been thinking about that a lot lately as time has passed ,  and others like Mayor Al have mentioned it too -- have our tastes changed, or our memories, or the food? 

All, I would bet.  Boy, do I remember what a treat that old limited menu at McDonald's was in 1962, to us in the white bread midwest, those skinny burgers and crisp fries were well loved as a new and unusual thing.  We didn't have anything else like it!   And Burger King, with their old fish sandwich called the Whaler, which was huge and delicious, delicious at least to us at the time.  Many others, too.

When we moved to Omaha in 1971 and first encountered Arby's, they made their sandwiches so big that my new bride and I would actually buy some other buns at a store, and take half off the Arby's to make twice the sandwiches.  Boy, are those days gone!

At the same time, we here in the white bread midwest do have our specialties, and I can safely say that a fish dinner around here is every bit as good as 50 years ago.  And a good steak still has to be a good steak, right? 

I would pay a lot to have a few bites of some of that stuff I remember so fondly as a kid, just to find out.

kevincad
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 04/27/12 4:00 PM
brisketboy

Hi all. Just sitting around daydreaming about the past and the topic somehow turned to pickled green tomatoes. I remember seeing them in barrels in some of the Jewish delis in my north Chicago neighborhood. I also remember liking them. Can I safely assume that pickling green tomatoes is pretty much the same as picling cucumbers?

Around these parts, believe it or not, there are lots of people making pickled green tomatoes. The only trouble is getting enough green tomatoes away from the fryer!!!

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2016
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 04/27/12 5:04 PM
brisketboy

Yes!   ... same recipes ... sweet, dill, or as fresh pack ...

RKB
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Tue, 05/1/12 9:10 PM
Last fall when the garden was about to succumb to the frost, I picked a handful of green tomatos, cut them into quarters, and stuck them into a couple jars of brine leftover after eating the Claussen pickles from them. A couple weeks later - OMG, were those good. this year I plan to pickle some more.
Bill

mstewart656
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Wed, 06/6/12 5:02 PM
I will be pickling our famous Grandpa Stewarts Pickled Green Tomatoes this September.  Check out our web site @   I would love for everyone to try them....Thanks!

mstewart656
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Wed, 06/6/12 5:04 PM
I understand your policy.  It is a legit web site that we are very excited about.  Thanks Mark Stewart Check us out on Facebook.  Pickled Green Tomatoes and Bloody Mary Mix.
<message edited by mstewart656 on Wed, 06/6/12 5:05 PM>

BBQCanuk
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 06/15/12 1:18 PM
I got the recipe from a friend down south.  They are delicious!
Green Tomato Pickles Louisiana
1 gallon green tomatoes
1/2 gallon onions
1 cut hot peppers, chopped
1 quart vinegar
2 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canning salt
Black and Red Pepper to taste

Cook until everything changes colour. Pack in jars and seal.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Fri, 06/15/12 1:54 PM
I managed to get a 3 gallon stoneware crock from Bristal Crocks and the entire pickling kit for fifty bucks and it is full of green tomatoes as we speak. It's getting so hot down here that I'm pulling everything out of my garden before it burns up. So between canning and pickling I pretty much got it covered. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

silver-falcon
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Pickled green tomatoes - Sun, 09/30/12 1:47 PM
I suddenly got a taste for pickled green tomatoes (ate them all the time as a kid).  I am in the SC mountains - very rural, but can not find them.  Can find green tomato pickles, but that is different.  I will have to try BBQCanuk's recipe.  Can not imagine country food from the Canadian coast, but the recipe is close to what I do when my neighbor pulls his plants and I grab the left-overs.  Fry the big ones and pickle or make relish out of the small ones.

Yes, I absolutely love tomolives in a martini - wish they were not so expensive.