Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest...

chickenplucker
  • Total Posts : 162
  • Reward points : 0
Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:01 PM
Long time lurker here with my 1st road trip report. Go easy on the newbie... Headed out Saturday to a work conference at Opryland Hotel. There are some big gaps because of the convention so be patient. We only live an hour and a half from The Blue Willow Inn and should be ashamed we havent been before. Saturday at lunch was a beautiful day with live music being played on the lawn. The buffets were groaning with country goodness. Salmon patties,fried chicken,fried green tomatoes,green beans,rutebagas,butter beans,mac and cheese,corn souffle,corn bread and biscuits and I still had 6 hours of driving. Yikes!!!!

And then dessert. Peanut Butter pie which I destroyed getting out of the pan,Chess Pie.

The dessert table was loaded as well as another table with peach cobbler which was the star of the desserts and also bannana pudding.

Sorry for the blurry photos....

chickenplucker
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:09 PM
Suppertime...
Couldnt resist.

As soon as we were seated and had our sweet tea. The biscuits arrived.

and then,fried chicken,mac and cheese,fried okra.

My wife had chicken gizzard with gravy,green beans,and cole slaw.

where the magic happens.

Overall an awesome day of roadfood...

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4532
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:12 PM
I could go for some of the chicken right this second.  Thanks.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:14 PM
I already like your report just for the use of this line:

"The buffets were groaning with country goodness."

chickenplucker
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:16 PM
Sunday I had my heart set on Prince's Chicken but no love that day. They are closed on Sunday and Monday.
Sunday night was a cruise and buffet on the General Jackson. The beer was nice and cold.
Monday was 3 meals at the conference with lunch being at the Opry Backstage Grill. The beer was nice and cold.
Tuesday was 3 meals at the conference with dinner at the Jack Daniels Grill. The beer was nice and cold.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 968
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:22 PM
My only negative reaction to your wonderful report is not anything you wrote, but what's in the Loveless picture.  Did they really give you that tiny quantity of preserves with the biscuits?  In the olden days, when I was in law school at Vanderbilt, you got two big flat dishes of peach and blackberry preserves (even if there were just two of you dining).

Or am I misinterpreting the photo?

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9811
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:22 PM
Love Blue Willow Inn and it looks like you did it up right!  I've never had the peanut butter pie, but agree that peach cobbler is the best of the desserts.

Looking forward to more! 

chickenplucker
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:37 PM
Wednesday, finally a little free time. Lunch was at Arnolds Country Kitchen located at 605 8th Ave S. Arrived at 11:40 and the lunch crowd had this small dining room engulfed. The line was already out the door but moving fast. The line snakes by the tables in the dining room so everyone is looking over your shoulder while you eat planning their choices when time comes. OH my its hard to choose from the cafeteria line as it all looks so good and the employees are very patient with new customers explaining all the choices. At Arnolds you pick your food,you eat it,you get up and leave so someone can have your table. Take time to talk about how good it was outside after you say excuse me 4 or 5 times trying to get out the door through the crowd still waiting. So, Wednesday is baked chicken,no fried today,mac and cheese(OMG),blackeyed peas, skillet corn bread,and bread pudding with vanilla cream sauce(could use its own thread).

Whadda you know only a few blocks away at 319 Peabody is 400 Degrees. Why not? My first time eating Nashville Hot Chicken. WOW what an experience,I loved it and am thankful I ordered the 200 degree level. It was HOT but the taste is incredible. There were several other newbs behind me that ordered 400 degree wings and they seemed to regret it. She did warn them profusely but you cant tell newbies anything.LOL  Princes may happen before I leave tomorrow.

<message edited by chickenplucker on Thu, 05/3/12 12:12 AM>

chickenplucker
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 4:39 PM
On the Loveless biscuit photo? That was it on the preserves,3 small plastic containers. I assume you could ask for more as he did ask if we wanted more biscuits when he brought our meal.

phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 346
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Wed, 05/2/12 10:42 PM
Great report. I'm dying to go to Nashville some day.

chickenplucker
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Fri, 05/4/12 4:27 PM
My last Nashville stop before hitting the road was The Pancake Pantry. Wow what an operation. There was about a 40 minute wait for a table but the menu on the wall outside kept everyone glued to their spots. The pancakes were perfect,fluffy inside with a nicely browned outside. The blueberry compote was incredible and tasted sooo fresh. Thanks for looking at my newbie roadtrip.

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Fri, 05/4/12 5:31 PM
You cleaned up at the classics, didn't you?  This really looks like a great trip.  Loveless was a bit too touristy for my liking, but Blue Willow, Arnold's and Pancake Pantry are all faves of mine, and I've been warned-slash-assured that I will love 400 Degrees and need to try that on my next visit to Nashville.

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 890
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Thu, 05/10/12 12:46 PM
rumaki

My only negative reaction to your wonderful report is not anything you wrote, but what's in the Loveless picture.  Did they really give you that tiny quantity of preserves with the biscuits?  In the olden days, when I was in law school at Vanderbilt, you got two big flat dishes of peach and blackberry preserves (even if there were just two of you dining).

Or am I misinterpreting the photo?

No, you are (unfortunately) correct.  This was one of the changes made when TomKats took over the Loveless in 2004.  You also get pre-wrapped pats of butter now instead of that big slab they used to provide.  And while still good, the biscuits aren't the same to my palate...

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
Re:Louisville,GA to Nashville,TN and back again Chickenfest... - Thu, 05/10/12 3:02 PM
Wow...want to taste that 400 degree chicken!!!