Killer shrimp from outer space!

Well, maybe not outer space but apparently the giant tiger shrimp is possibly establishing itself in U.S. waters.

Not taking the potential ecosystem consequences lightly, are these things any good to eat?  'Cause I'd love to throw a few of them on the barbie if they are!!

Brad
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/04 11:59:04
According to this article ( http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011/11/08/giant-shrimp-on-the-loose/ ) "Tiger prawns are edible and mild tasting, contributing to their popularity worldwide." But, "If you catch any giant tiger prawn, the FWC requests you report size, date and location of the capture, preferably with the GPS coordinates, to Larry Connor at ExoticReports@MyFWC.com. Fishermen also are asked to take photos of them for identification purposes."

So, Happy fishing! 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/04 23:53:46
Generally speaking, the larger the shrimp the tougher they are. I've grilled store bought, imported, frozen Tiger Shrimp and they tend to resemble the toughness & texture of lobster tail. The shrimp from off the FL coast of the Gulf of Mexico near Pensacola FL are the best I've ever eaten. 
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/05 06:29:25
One of the perks of living close to good seafood, is well...good seafood.  We have tigers about 3 times a month on the grill.  Buy them live and pop em on the grill live also.  Just do not over cook, throw them on a platter and go at it.  These are big enough its worth sucking the heads also.  Serve with a simple prik nam plah dipping sauce and lots of cold beer.  Their best if grilled whole, as its easier to control over cooking.  I do a family style chef's salad in a very large glass bowl, and put the grilled shelled tigers around the outside, sort of like a giant cocktail.  If you can get them fresh without spending a fortune go for it.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/05 09:13:10
The only time I have ever seen (and, of course once you see something like that you must EAT it) shrimp that large was in Rio de Janerio.  The dish was "Camarão à Paulista" and it was fantastic.  The "portion" was 3 shrimp and they together were as filling as a 24 oz. porterhouse.  I (6'2"; 235#)couldn't finish!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/05 12:42:31
This is only my opinion which could be wrong or right.  I have eaten and prepared tiger shrimp and find them lacking in taste compared to Gulf shrimp.  I never served tiger shrimp in my restaurants.  Only 16-20, U-10 or U-8s from the Gulf. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/06 04:42:52
lleechef
This is only my opinion which could be wrong or right.  I have eaten and prepared tiger shrimp and find them lacking in taste compared to Gulf shrimp.  I never served tiger shrimp in my restaurants.  Only 16-20, U-10 or U-8s from the Gulf. 

Now there's a Girl who knows her Shrimp!!!!
When I lived in Pensacola, I'd go down to the docks early on Saturday morning and buy them right off the boats, take them home and have them for Breakfast!
Shrimp Omelets
Shrimp and Grits
Or other recipes.
Or a favorite:
Shrimp and Biscuits
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage
1 1/2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shrimp stock or light chicken stock
1/4 cup half and half or light cream
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried marjoram or dried savory
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper (or hot pepper sauce to taste)
10 ounces raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, or 8 ounces cooked peeled shrimp (any size from Small to Extra Large is fine)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
Salt
4 large, split hot biscuits
Preparation:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Sauté the onions until softened  
Stir in the sausage and flour.
Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring often, until the flour is lightly browned.
Pour in the stock, half a cup at a time and the cream, stirring well until thickened.
Add the shrimp and stir until just firm and opaque or heated through, if cooked.
Remove from heat, add lemon juice, and adjust salt.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Killer shrimp from outer space! 2012/05/06 11:19:43
lleechef

Nothing beats a U-12 shrimp cocktail!