Smoked Pork Belly

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2012/05/04 18:45:46
I had to try out my new smoker today before I smoke a 19 lb ham next week. The Pork belly came out a gold color. I smoked the belly with Hickory and finished with Apple wood........

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 18:50:08
EGADS!!!!!

Is that fat I see?
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 18:53:15
Michael Hoffman

EGADS!!!!!

Is that fat I see?

OMG,is there FAT in bacon!!!!!!!!!! if there wasn't Chewy would never eat it.............
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 19:01:09
There's fat in bacon? Is that the nasty red stuff that has no flavor -- at least no flavor compared to that good light-colored stuff?
edwmax
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 19:11:48
Looks good   ... when is breakfast????  needs pancakes with real cane syrup, eggs & grits ...
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 19:26:47
you on Ed, your invited don't tell michael he could stay home and eat his oatmeal....................
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 20:33:25
Bill, I think you're going to love your new hobby.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 21:36:27
Cane syrup for pancakes? Guess you never heard of maple syrup.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/04 23:14:28
pnwchef,
What brand/kind of smoker did you get?
I'm researching for one for myself.
I'm thinking electric only to make it a no-brainer and as easy as possible.
I know it's not the best way to go but at my age, I don't need any more Challenges! 
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/04 23:17:42
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/05 12:19:09
This is the Pork Belly sliced into bacon strips, I had to make a BLT........The Bacon was nice and smokey and salty, good favor...........

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/05 12:35:25
That's nice looking bacon.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/05 16:30:53
Oh my!
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/05 17:40:10
pnwchef

This is the Pork Belly sliced into bacon strips, I had to make a BLT........The Bacon was nice and smokey and salty, good favor...........

Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/05 17:42:55
Yeow, give me 2, double bacon,[pork belly]!
Great job Bill! Call me, I invented 2 totally new BBQ delights!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/05 18:53:10
LAWD GAWD.I have died and gone to heaven!..maybe from eating that stuff, but damn, it looked good!
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/07 16:44:37
Hi Foodbme, I use a Brinkmann Duel smoker & gas grill. I bought this so I could have a gas grill on one side and a smoker Charcoal grill on the other side, all in one unit. I would talk with Mar, she is my go to gal for all my BBQ/ smoker info, she knows her stuff.

http://www.brinkmann.net/images/products/outdoorcooking/zoom/810-3821-S-l.jpg

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 00:31:41
pnwchef
Hi Foodbme, I use a Brinkmann Duel smoker & gas grill. I bought this so I could have a gas grill on one side and a smoker Charcoal grill on the other side, all in one unit. I would talk with Mar, she is my go to gal for all my BBQ/ smoker info, she knows her stuff.

NICE LOOKIN' RIG!!
kman160
Cheeseburger
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 08:09:30
Check out the Cookshack line. My Amerique has never let me down.
brisketboy
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 08:45:41
I walked past one of these at the Home Depot, I may just have to go back.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 10:59:39
pnwchef

The Brinkmann website says this model is no longer available for sale, but that it is still supported by parts, etc.

pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 12:34:07
Michael, I bought it at Home depot about 6 weeks ago $299 couldn't pass it up..................The only problem with this kind of unit is, you lose heat when you open it to add coals or wood for smoking or maintaining a constant temp. I'm smoking a Ham, it's not that big of a deal but you do need to keep a close eye on it. Having a Wireless BBQ thermometer is priceless..........................
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 13:10:43
Bill, I checked and found it is available at Home Depot, and for $299. I'm planning to go up there later today to look; perhaps to buy.
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 13:30:47
THis is a 19lb Ham that I put into a Brown sugar cure for 8 days and then washed and soaked it in fresh water for about 8rs......

I baked the Ham in the oven at 170 degrees for 10 hrs. I then smoked it with Hickory and Apple wood in the smoker for about 4 hrs.........

I use cast iron skillets to place the hot coals and wood on the bottom of the smoker, this works out well to rotate new coals to keep the temp at a desired level........

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 14:30:41
Good deal, Bill!  You also save your bottom grates by using the cast iron pan.

When you make jerky, send me some!

I used to have a Cookshack.  I gave it to my brother because I thought he'd use it more than I did.  I had the small one.  It was too one purpose for me when I could achieve the same end product with one of my other grills.

They are wonderful for a set it and forget it type of smoking.

There are now copies of the Cookshack out there now at pennies on the dollar.  Mine had a list price of $500 and I think the copies are about $200.  I think Sam's carries them.  Major Al has one.
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 16:14:47
HI Mar, this one takes care of my needs just fine, I was out side this morning at 5Am getting the smoker going. It's a nice feeling when you you smoke something from start to finish, it may take some work but its a fun process. The thermomotor is a life saver, it keeps me on top of every thing, with out me having to be on top of every thing..........
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 16:54:49
pnwchef

I had to try out my new smoker today before I smoke a 19 lb ham next week. The Pork belly came out a gold color. I smoked the belly with Hickory and finished with Apple wood........

How long did you smoke that bad boy for?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/08 19:27:12
Great to know, Bill.  $299 for a double duty grill is a steal!

Even if Charbroil didn't have replacement parts, there are aftermarket companies that will usually have them.
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/09 12:39:41
I let the Smoked Ham sit in the refer over night so I could let it set up a bit. I cut the Ham into large chunks for Baked Ham, Ham Steaks and Sliced ham for sandwiches. The Ham taste was good, not to salty or smokey, a real lean tender Ham taste. I had to make a breakfast Ham & Eggs sandwich.

Michael, I call this the I95 Ham & Egger

Mar, no comments on the broken yoke, I'm a master smoker now, not a Chef.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/09 12:50:46
Not being Mar I can say something about the broken yolk: In addition to wrecking a perfectly good egg you spelled it wrong.

But that is a fine looking sandwich. Bet it was messy as all get-out to eat. I eat mine over the sink.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/09 13:14:25
 Naw... that broken yolk lets you see the perfectness (??) of the yolk viscosity.

Bill...  you cut with the grain.  

pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/09 13:15:25
I don't care how you spell it, it was good, and your right it's messy. Did you buy a Smoker yesterday at Home Depot, you old Ham N Egger............
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/09 13:24:54
pnwchef

I don't care how you spell it, it was good, and your right it's messy. Did you buy a Smoker yesterday at Home Depot, you old Ham N Egger............

No, I didn't buy one. Something came up and we didn't get to Home Depot. I hope to get there later today, if not tomorrow.
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/09 21:29:04
Here's a recent pork belly project we tackled in the scrumptious kitchen: Mexican style

1 pork belly, 12lb Berkshire or other good breed
1/2 c. Salt, Kosher
4 t. Salt, pink, curing
1/2 c. Sugar, turbinado
1/2 c. Chile powder, Jalapeno, green, may be purchased at Fiesta or Savory Spice shop
¼ c. Cumin
¼ c. Coriander
Method
* Combine all ingredients thoroughly
* Sprinkle ingredients all over belly
* Put belly in fridge in large pan
* Every 24 hours flip belly over
* Do this for 11 days
* Rinse seasonings off belly with cold water
* Let dry for 24 hours, flipping every few hours
* Build fire in smoker, smoke belly with favorite wood for 2 hours
* Remember, you're not cooking the belly, merely flavoring it with smoke
* Return belly to fridge
* Let sit overnight
* At this point it's time to slice your belly, this is a crucial stage in your project. We used our electric slicer at work so the bacon looks professional. If you don't have an electric slicer use your sharpest knife, take your time and make your cuts as even as possible
* A belly that's been in the freezer for an hour or two slices much more evenly

cooking notes+pic of the bacon http://www.scrumptiousche...can-Pork-Belly-Project
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/10 07:32:05
I'll be making the trip to the Butcher this weekend....I'm running low on Bacon, so I'll be picking up 30 or 40lbs of belly....can't wait to get started!

Will do at least one Pancetta, and the rest will be smoked....proabaly a brown sugar or maple cure.
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/10 12:29:13
Since pork belly is uncured bacon and bacon is cured pork belly, pork belly stand alone is delicious, as is bacon, PNWC, which did you do, pics looked loke cured belly, bacon  therefore, No?
pnwchef
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/10 16:59:22
Yes its a Brown sugar cured pork belly, smoked for a few hours with Hickory and Apple wood..............then sliced into bacon............pnwc
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2012/05/10 17:36:18
pnwchef

Yes its a Brown sugar cured pork belly, smoked for a few hours with Hickory and Apple wood..............then sliced into bacon............pnwc

Brown sugar only?
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2013/01/12 01:07:41
Picked up a fresh belly, thinking about my cure
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2013/01/12 17:53:16
scrumptiouschef

Picked up a fresh belly, thinking about my cure

Think about brown sugar and Sriacha sauce cure.

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:Smoked Pork Belly 2013/01/12 19:31:35
My last cure went wrong and I wasted a bunch of pork belly.  So this last time I had a bit of it, I braised it low and slow for a coupe of hours, pulled/sliced it and then deep fried it.  Would have been better had I let it set in the fridge overnight but I didn't have that kind of time, and I was hungry and the pork belly was all I had not frozen

Def will have to smoke some this summer.