Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 81 of 81
CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7743
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Wed, 06/6/12 11:42 PM
I was in Cherry Market (name of the local fruit store) today and saw some nice ripe apricots...

That is the type of pie that  is "allegedly" most popular at the pie place in the video. But I am thinking of making a traditional (normal) fresh ripe New Jersey Blueberry variety for the first fried pies (I can get crazy after that).. I also noticed most of the recipes for apricot pie called for dried apricots...so I took a pass for now.

Cherry Market has cherries too...

<message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 06/6/12 11:51 PM>

Fried Pie Lady
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Fri, 06/8/12 9:50 AM
Those both look luscious but you wouldn't want them in your fried pies. If you try to make fried pies using fresh apricots, it just turns to jam - that's why they use dried.

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Fri, 06/8/12 7:40 PM
I'm glad I checked with you first.

Here is a version of the fried pie we are used to getting (not the fresh delightful version like you make)...

The crust is thick and dense with light filling...

<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 06/8/12 7:43 PM>

Fried Pie Lady
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Sun, 06/10/12 12:14 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the opposite of what I make! LOL! Mine are mostly filling with a light, tasty, flaky crust. Come to the Ozarks and I'll serve you up the best fried pie ever! 

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Sun, 06/10/12 12:46 PM
Fried Pie Lady, I just noticed your location. I have a couple of old friends in Flippin. Cliff Shelby and Forrest Wood. I don't know about Forrest (his wife might keep him from them), but I'd bet Cliff would love your fried pies.

Fried Pie Lady
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Mon, 06/11/12 11:25 AM
You know Forrest? What a small world! LOL! He's certainly stopped by a couple times and enjoyed them. Since my husband works for Arkansas Game and Fish, I knew Forrest by his face (he's a hero of AGFC) and I think even his wife has been by. Cliff Shelby may have also come by but not chatted long enough for me to know his name. This gives you a good excuse to call them up and say hello!

Michael Hoffman
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Mon, 06/11/12 11:47 AM
It's really a very small world. I live just up U.S. 62 from you in Ohio. Steve Cole, who was a wildlife official for Arkasas Game & Fish, is a former neighbor here in Ohio where he was chief of the Ohio Division of Wildlife. By the way, I'm surprised Nina lets Forrest eat fried pies.

Cliff Shelby used to work for Ranger, and he's now has his own (with his wife) graphic design business in Flippin.

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Mon, 06/11/12 11:57 PM
Thank you for the invite...Fried Pie Lady! I may take you up on the offer...as long as there are no bats in Flippin! Bats scare me!

My gf was nice enough to attend the Big Apple BBQ Block Party where she investigated The Original Fried Pie Shop! They were one of the vendors. So she now thinks she has a good idea for the dough...if I get the filling right. Sounds good to me. We will give it a go when my migraine ends...and get in the mood to render a bunch of lard.

http://www.bigapplebbq.org/

For upside down fried blueberry pie!!!

Hopefully it's possible to make upside down fried blueberry pie  the size of ravioli...

I give you credit for doing this on a daily basis!

As bad as I am at this...I am very hot on the trail of developing a very cool Cherry Coke ice cream that will be a beautiful pair...for the pie. Next chapter I will break out the Donvier ice cream machine and crank it up!

The crust on the Entenmann's pie is so thick and hard I had to get up high and rock the knife a few times to get through it.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 06/12/12 12:19 AM>

Fried Pie Lady
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Tue, 06/12/12 4:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the migraine, CC. I too suffer from them and they totally suck. Let me know how your experiments turn out - I'm amazed that you'd give the ravioli press a try! But the Cherry Coke ice cream sounds perfectly yummy!

And Michael, you're right about the Woodses - he's not a frequent customer but he is an occasional customer! LOL! I think Cliff must have bought a pie at least once. It seems like *everyone* in Flippin has!

Michael Hoffman
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Tue, 06/12/12 6:17 PM
Well, I've been in Flippin, and I've never had one.

But next time ....

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Tue, 06/12/12 7:14 PM
I think I will feel 100% by tomorrow. They do suck. Sorry to hear you get them too. 

I am going to render the lard in the crockpot on Thursday so Friday can be Pie Day.

I will do one pass (24) of the pie-vi-oli. I will make about a dozen regular and try a few with the empanada discs to compare the results...

I have the ravioli rolling and sealing down to a science. I am not used to pie filling...but I will take my time.

I just don't know for sure what temperature to set the lard. Somewhere between 350-370. I will drop one at 360 and see if I need to adjust. I guess. I hope. 

Fried Pie Lady
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Fri, 06/15/12 12:25 AM
I'm eager to see how it turns out!

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Fri, 06/15/12 8:30 AM
The lard is rendered! That was the easy part!

Not sure if the evaporated milk is supposed to be diluted with some percentage of water to reach the total volume of "milk" needed or reach the total volume needed with evaporated milk alone.

I think it's supposed to be 50/50 evaporated milk with added water to reach total volume in recipes...that are not doughs.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 06/15/12 8:50 AM>

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Fri, 06/15/12 4:10 PM
These are Drake's Pies. They are the inspiration for the pie-vi-oli (just the shape and size).

Lighter & Flakier (crumbly) crust and just as light on the filling.

I am going to try to get a few the same size as the Drake's and make less of little ones. Double-wides.

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Sun, 06/17/12 6:08 PM
I'll be back with the entire story but I was pleased with the Key Lime Fried Pie...considering we never made fried pies...

<message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 06/17/12 6:10 PM>

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Sun, 06/17/12 7:26 PM

Fried Pie Lady
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Mon, 06/18/12 12:21 PM
They look fabulous! Were you careful when you put in the filling, so it didn't get on the pastry where you pressed it together or just assume that pressing hard would squish it out? I've made lemon filling for fried pies but never thought to put key lime in there!

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Mon, 06/18/12 12:37 PM
Thank you Fried Pie Lady!!

This being the first time...we were shooting for no major disasters...and learn as much as possible. The filling was a hit! We also made some Cherry Lime Rickey pies by adding some chopped maraschino cherries to the lime base. We chilled it....so it would be easier to stuff. It was as tight as rice pudding do it went down easy....and stayed in one place.

The dough held very well and the filling held-up...but this dough is better suited for savory pies. Next time we will try a sweet dough recipe for empanadas.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 06/18/12 1:35 PM>

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Tue, 06/19/12 4:15 PM
The empanada discs had a mind of their own so I was scared to stuff it like the other dough. This filling was really good as well...

Fried Pie Lady
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Wed, 06/20/12 8:34 PM
Yeah, empanada pastry is a bit stiff. I don't know if warming them would help or not.

CCinNJ
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! - Thu, 06/21/12 10:57 AM
I think that flour really needs to be kept far away from the empanada discs. We made the scratch dough first...and the residual flour hanging around may have caused the snap crackle pops.

Sunday will be a new piƱa colada filling with a new dough...and whatever I decide to make in the crockpot (pot roast or Italian beef) pie with the first scratch dough. It's been about 100 degrees here.

A few glasses of Sangria and a few hours on the treadmill after the pies!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 81 of 81