Chipotle

poaform
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Chipotle - Thu, 05/24/12 3:04 PM
Chipotle is mexican food perfected. Could eat that stuff breakfast lunch and dinner

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
Re:Chipotle - Thu, 05/24/12 3:30 PM
It's just another chain to me. But I understand based on your location.

jimmysmoot
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:Chipotle - Thu, 05/24/12 4:16 PM
he's as far from Mexico as you can get!  But i'll admit, it's pretty good for a chain.  

mochamike
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Chipotle - Fri, 07/20/12 2:55 PM
definitely gotta come out to the southwest!

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3299
Re:Chipotle - Fri, 07/20/12 7:13 PM
mochamike

definitely gotta come out to the southwest!

Yes, and no. While I absolutely agree that much better food can be found in the Southwest, that's only available while on vacation. There are several things I can no longer eat locally because I've had the real thing on vacation, and it sucks. Because I want them far more often than I can afford to go on vacation to get them.

knightda8
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Chipotle - Fri, 07/20/12 7:54 PM
poaform,
Remember Costa Vida? (Though they are a chain they are a chain in Utah).... I thought that was way better.

--knightda8

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 939
Re:Chipotle - Mon, 07/30/12 2:55 PM
I went to the one that just opened up here recently, and it was ok. Didn't live up to the hype for me. It was decent, just didn't knock my socks off. And overpriced, $10 for a burrito is a bit much.
Another instance where I prefer what I can get from a local place for less.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:Chipotle - Mon, 07/30/12 3:05 PM
$10 for burrito? I don't think so.
Maybe for Burrito and a drink with tax.

It's a mission burrito. Which is a hug amount of food. It's not some tiny burrito.

I get the salad, with no beand or rice, instead doing peppers and onions. Low carb! Love it. I don't use their salad dressing either. Just put some tomasillo and salsa and I'm good.

It makes all other fast food, taste like crap. Fresh made, local products. Beats the pants off other chains. I'd hope, if you lived in NM, AZ, CA, you can get better. All things considered, it's a company who's doing it right, so far.

felix4067
Re:Chipotle - Mon, 07/30/12 6:32 PM
$10 for a burrito is expensive? You should never, ever, never go out for Mexican food here.  Even at our local, fabulous place (mainly drive-thru, with maybe 3 tables inside), you're paying $8.00 for a burrito. That's dry, with no condiments.
<message edited by felix4067 on Mon, 07/30/12 6:34 PM>

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
Re:Chipotle - Tue, 07/31/12 11:46 AM
My wife absolutely loves Chipotle, me, it's ok...far better than KFC, BK, etc. At least they seem to try!

SeamusD
Re:Chipotle - Tue, 07/31/12 2:01 PM
Scorereader

$10 for burrito? I don't think so.
Maybe for Burrito and a drink with tax.

It's a mission burrito. Which is a hug amount of food. It's not some tiny burrito.

I get the salad, with no beand or rice, instead doing peppers and onions. Low carb! Love it. I don't use their salad dressing either. Just put some tomasillo and salsa and I'm good.

It makes all other fast food, taste like crap. Fresh made, local products. Beats the pants off other chains. I'd hope, if you lived in NM, AZ, CA, you can get better. All things considered, it's a company who's doing it right, so far.

Nope, just the burrito, didn't get a drink. I think the only extra charge was for guacamole. I distinctly remember getting into the car and feeling I was somehow gypped, because of the cost and it wasn't really that big. That's how much I paid at the one here in Syracuse, don't know if prices or portions are different elsewhere or if it's a local quality control issue.

SeamusD
Re:Chipotle - Tue, 07/31/12 2:02 PM
felix4067

$10 for a burrito is expensive? You should never, ever, never go out for Mexican food here.  Even at our local, fabulous place (mainly drive-thru, with maybe 3 tables inside), you're paying $8.00 for a burrito. That's dry, with no condiments.

It's expensive when I can get a bigger one with everything for $3 less somewhere else.

Scorereader
Re:Chipotle - Thu, 08/2/12 1:36 PM
The prices for the syracuse location is here
The burritos I get here in Dc at Chipotle are huge, over stuffed mission syle burritos. And you can load everything into them, except Guacamole is extra, except in the vegetarian where the guac is included.

My last trip to chipotle:
I got a Chicken Salad and a reg soft drink (diet coke)
My wife got a veggie burrito and a nantucket lemonade
my kid got a kids quesadillo meal, which inclided a small chicken quesadillo, rice, beans and chips, and we ordered a chocolater milk.
The total was $24 with tax.

SeamusD
Re:Chipotle - Thu, 08/2/12 3:34 PM
Tax and total for one barbacoa burrito with guacamole (yes, they charged me extra for guac), $9.50. And it wasn't overstuffed. Just sayin.

Scorereader
Re:Chipotle - Thu, 08/2/12 4:43 PM
I think the meals we got for 3 people for $24 was a good deal, burrito and salad were more than a fair size, kids meal is a good deal, too. just sayin.

Look, DON"T go! that makes the line that much shorter.

SeamusD
Re:Chipotle - Fri, 08/3/12 1:26 PM
I agree, that is a good deal, I just didn't think my meal was. The barbacoa is pretty darn good though.
I live sorta near Boom Boom Mex Mex, so I'll go there instead and keep the Chipotle lines clear! (Mom and pop operation, like Chipotle but better IMO, and the lines are always out the door.)

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 8:27 AM
I enjoy a meal at Chipotle, but there are better offerings around here.  Lime Fresh, which is a local chain, has a salsa bar, delivers to your table, and hands out free bowls of tortilla chips, all for about the same price as Chipotle.  Tijuana Flats is similar to Lime Fresh, but doesn't have the same kind of salsa bar, although the do offer 8-10 salsas/hot-sauces.  One plus for the health-conscious is their "lite" (skinny?) menu with low-fat cheese, whole-wheat tortillas, etc.

Then, of course, we do have some actual Mexican restaurants of various sorts. 

Tampico
  • Total Posts : 84
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 9:41 AM
The poorest excuse for Mexican food on the planet. Its never hot, over cooked and way over rated. The sad thing is people think its good because they have never had the real thing. Way over priced meat that is steeped then sits in a warming vessel and plopped onto a sticky wet tasteless no lard tortilla. Yuppy food that they have decided tastes good so a bunch of people jumped on the I am cool band wagon. Go to San Diego and have a Carne Asada Burrito and you will never eat there again.  Starbucks and Krispy Creme fall into the same catagorie.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7599
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 2:32 PM
Is it really supposed to be Mexican food?  I would say that it's Mexican inspired.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 2:49 PM
Mexican inspired is a good term! Even some of the mom& pop Mexican places here are more inspired than Mexican. I know a few that will make more authentic if you ask them but mostly serve gringoed down Mexican. I don't think anyone walks in to a Chipotle or many others and expect "authentic". I haven't been in years, mostly because Chipotle is more food than I can eat, but I always saw fresh food served as you you ask them to be assembled.  

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 4:10 PM
To me Moe's is nearly the same but offers a bit more bang for the buck. Their largest Burrito is about $8 and includes free chips and a salsa bar.
They do charge extra for Queso and Guac. My tab the other day for the medium steak (Joey bag of doughnuts) with Queso, chips, salsa bar and soft drink incl tax was $9.81.

iluvcfood
  • Total Posts : 396
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 4:31 PM
Apparently you didnt go to the right places in San Diego to eat!

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/11/12 5:22 PM
A lot of us don't really like authentic. I for one appreciate Americanized versions of certain foods. I probably haven't had anything "authentic" except Mexican and believe me I'll the take the USA version.

Tampico
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 9:23 AM
The meat as not even been grilled. It looks pressure cooked with no color other than grey. The Guacamole and Salsa has been over spiced with cumin. The interior is always wet to the point the tortilla breaks down. They are actually sticky when handled. Its always tepid or cold when you bite into it. In My Opinion the attraction is someone said it tastes good and the lemmings followed suit. The people who eat at Chipotle are the same people who cannot eat chicken on a bone, order well done burgers, overcook steak, and could never try sushi. 

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 10:38 AM
You seem a bit out of sorts. Have you tried Pepto Bismol?

kland01s
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 10:51 AM
Skip the tortilla and get the burrito bowl if you dislike the tortilla so much. 

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 12:23 PM
I'm lucky to have two home-style Mexican places in my neighborhood (near Bergenfield, NJ). I tried Chipotle a couple of times, but find that it's near-clone, Qodoba, is somewhat better (and both are better than Taco Bell). I think "Mexican Inspired" is a good label.

Bart

Tampico
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 2:13 PM
Michael Hoffman

You seem a bit out of sorts. Have you tried Pepto Bismol?

I don't understand Mike?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 2:48 PM
Who is Mike?

kland01s
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 2:53 PM
There's no Mike here.

Tampico
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 08/12/12 3:07 PM
LMAO.

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 08/18/12 9:33 PM
I find the food bland and overpriced since its mostly beans and rice. It's basically a clean taco bell. I need hot sauce to make it edible.

eruby
  • Total Posts : 586
Re:Chipotle - Mon, 08/20/12 9:18 AM
We get a BOGO coupon once a year and that's when we usually go.  The workers are pretty efficient and will make what you want the way you want it.  Expensive without the BOGO, but they do give you a fairly large portion.

Around halloween, they often have some kind of promo where if you dress like a burrito (a little tin foil on your head) you get a freebie or a big discount.

samy5
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Chipotle - Sat, 10/13/12 6:26 AM
Chipotle is the Mcdonalds of Mexican food. Oh Wait it's owned by them!
It has no flavor at all!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9567
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 10/14/12 2:12 AM
samy5

Chipotle is the Mcdonalds of Mexican food. Oh Wait it's owned by them!
It has no flavor at all!

No longer True!
McDonald's divested itself from Chipotle in 2006 and is in no way connected to them since then.

felix4067
Re:Chipotle - Sun, 10/14/12 2:21 AM
Aw, why let a little thing like the facts interfere with the chain-bashing?