Rio Mirage

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
  • Reward points : 0
Rio Mirage - Sat, 06/2/12 2:40 PM
 My girlfriend and I had dinner at the Rio Mirage in Surprise last night. As soon as we walked into the host area we were greeted warmly by several of the friendly staff. The aroma of fresh chips and cooking chiles roasting wafted out of the kitchen promising a good meal. We were not disappointed. We did not have to wait to be seated  even though it was a Friday night. they were moderately busy but nobody seemed rushed. Our waiter brought out hot chips and fresh salsa that rival any I have had before. G.F ordered the watermelon margarita and I went the traditional route. The drinks were wonderfully tart and refreshing after enduring 110 degree heat of the day! We decided not to have an appetizer and dove into the menu. It is representative of most of the Mexican style restaurants in the area. Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc. however there were a few standouts. My partner ordered The Rico special which was a flour tortilla stuffed with steak, shrimp, or chicken (she chose the steak,) grilled onions, pablano peppers and jalapeno cream cheese, covered in outstanding green chili and cheese. I had the Carne asada plate which was thinly sliced flank steak seared to medium rare and basted with lime garlic butter and topped with grilled onions and peppers. We were both very happy with selection we chose!  Both entrees came with the ubiquitous rice and beans but the rice was a standout. It smelled kind of floral, in a good way.  Very tasty. A little side of pico de gallo came on my plate and it was redolent with aroma of cilantro and jalapeno.  We each shared a little of out entree although begrudgingly. Alas we didn't save any room for dessert as we had to take food home. The portions were more than ample.
 There was a little SNAFU with our check but it was quickly taken care of by our waiter. All in all, we had a good meal at a good price and we will be going back to taste the rest of the menu including the mango margarita that was mistakenly added to my bill.