It is National Blue Cheese Day!

Porterhouse
Flagged as Spam (1)
2012/06/04 03:54:45
Courtesy of Tom Fitzmorris www.nomenu.com
It is National Blue Cheese Day. Today in 1070, Roquefort cheese is said to have been discovered. A shepherd found a chunk of cheese he left in a cave some time earlier near the town of Roquefort, France. It was moldy, but he was hungry. He found the mold gave the cheese an exciting new flavor. This is probably just a legend. Cheeses that become delicious after being infected with molds have been known since Roman times.

Roquefort is the most famous of all blue cheeses, and the first cheese to have been recognized as unique to the place where it is made. It even has a slogan: "The King of Cheeses, and the Cheese of Kings." (It's not the only cheese that claims this.) The only true Roquefort comes from that same small area of France, where the Lacaune breed of sheep produce the milk from which it is made. Cheesemakers claim that the plants in that area, and the limestone caves in which the cheese is aged, are what's unique. The mold produces an acid that gives blue cheese its distinctive tang. The mold is the same penicillin mold that shows up on old bread. Roquefort has a particularly powerful taste.
Roquefort is not the only blue cheese. Among the more famous others are Stilton (from England), Gorgonzola (Italy), and Maytag (Iowa). Danish blue cheese probably outsells all of those put together. And there's lots of generic blue cheese out there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So,whats your favorite dish using Blue Cheese and what brand do you think is the best?
I like Blue Cheese crumbled on a good steak.
I prefer Maytag Brand!
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/04 03:57:50
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 07:57:10
The shepherd should have left it in the cave. Jmho, pb
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 09:31:12
Blue cheese on or in hamburger!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 10:05:20
Every day is blue cheese day to me! So many varieties, from all over the world.

Blue cheese tastes great in salad, spread on bread like butter, and esp. with fruits, including jams, jellies. Its really versatile. I love the tart/salty of the cheese and the juicy, fruity combo.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 10:23:27
I agree with kland and NYNM. Its great in green and pasta salads; my new fave is to broil blue cheese on pear halves and then sprinkle with some pistachios.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 10:30:57
The older I get, the more I like blue cheese, especially on burgers.  And the best I ever had was from Maytag Farms in Iowa.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 11:46:50
a bit of hometown pride,but the best recently is from here in Southern Oregon- Rogue Creamery.
 Hand made gourmet cheese, Award winning Blue Cheese from the Rogue Creamery!
right next door Lilliebelle Chocolates makes these tremendous little morsels-
 Smokey Blue Truffles

...and I  still like my idea of a Philly  Cheesesteak with Blue Cheese. :)
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2012/06/04 14:02:05
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 12:19:15
Roquefort was actually a product in 79 AD and was a favorite of Pliny the Elder and later, Charlemagne.  Who cares?  I love these cheeses......Roquefort, bleu de Bresse or even US bleu cheese.  While Maroilles is my favorite of ALL cheeses, the bleus and Roquefort have to be in second place.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 12:27:30
All I can say is Maroilles stinks! Give me gorgonzola.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 12:32:57
Mr. Hoffman, you never smelled nor have seen  or tasted a Maroilles in your life. 
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 12:58:21
Just had a memorial lunch: Blue Cheese sandwich on whole wheat raisin bread. YUM!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/04 14:39:35
lleechef

Mr. Hoffman, you never smelled nor have seen  or tasted a Maroilles in your life. 

True, but you've described the aroma often enough.
Re:It is National Blue Cheese Day! 2012/06/14 10:40:08
I LOVE LOVE LOVE blue cheese.

My favourite is generous amount over creamy polenta and yes,now add some plain tomato sauce..nothing with meant and/or many herbs and spices..basic tomato sauce. And then, yes, more..add a few shavings of parmaggiano reggiano, but i will add accept padano.

2. fontina, gorgonzola, mascarpone with herbed fettucine.

3. a nice hunk of cheese, some substantial bread (nothing fancy either), a few bland veggies that raw and crunch.