Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 62
ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 02/26/04 6:10 PM
And I'm a born and raised Atlantan. The truth hurts, but the best thing about this place, is the history behind it. I do it a couple times a year, just for the trip through americana. However, I always come away, wondering what the big deal is. Because basically, The Varsity sucks.

OK, the chili dogs are pretty good. If they get them right. Of my two dogs last trip, one had an old, crusty bun, and the other had the mustard more on the bun, than dog. Aside from chili, mustard/ketchup, onions, pimento cheese, or whatever topping you care for, the dogs and burgers are tasteless. No nifty grilling, or special herbs and spices. It's claimed a lot of people order both items "naked." Either, without something on them, would be about as flavorful, as warm cardboard.

The famous onion rings, have a load of deep-fried batter, and little onion. Even worse, are the fries. "Strings" I believe, is the pet name for them. Indeed. Listless, soggy, and yes, stringy--with plenty of flavor. If you like grease.

The Varsity also boasts a rather rude staff, seemingly with their minds more on crack pipes, than saying thanks. If the sludge gets to ya, before you leave, they do have a very nice restroom. Forget squatting with any dignity, as the stalls have no doors. Yes, doorless crappers. Make a new friend! Just don't shake hands.

Lastly, The Varsity proclaims with pride: "No food over 12 hours old", or something to that notion. I hope they didn't pay an ad agency good money for that. Really makes one think "fresh." My stomach churns, just thinking of those fries sitting there, as both a customer, and that 12th hour approaches.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 02/26/04 6:24 PM
I think "most" folks go to The Varsity for the experience, not necessarily the quality of the food. If you want a good burger in Atlanta, go to The Vortex. 'Course, that "ain't" exactly roadfood, either.

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/TheVortex/index.htm#

ULVER
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 02/26/04 11:46 PM
I completely agree about The Vortex! They also make a mean Tuna melt...

There's a pub called The Highlander, off of Monroe Dr. Not as well known as the Vortex, but superb, big juicy burgers. Plenty of tattoos and piercings, to give you something to look at.

Also, the Downwind at Peachtree/Dekalb airport. Huge burger. And I DO mean huge! Almost bizarre. Plus, there's also the chance, of seeing a Lear jet cartwheel into a ball of flames, while you're trying to grapple with the monster burger.

marberthenad
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 02/27/04 5:49 AM
I've never been to the Varsity, or even to Atlanta, but when it comes to customer service you also get what you give. If you are telling this forum that you think the staff prefers crack pipes to you, maybe the staff likely picks up on that when they are serving you, don't you think?? And if atmosphere is defined as having the chance of seeing a Lear jet cartwheel into a ball of flames, well heck .... then I guess most places must just plain suck

Not very nice post(s).

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 02/27/04 5:09 PM
I first visited the Varsity in 1966. It was great then when you visited it late in the evening. Probably a similar experience with Krystal and White Castle. They did such a huge volume that you probably have to catch them when things are fresh. It is an experience.

I have not been there in the last several years. Probably Ort in Athens could give you his latest update?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Adjudicator
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 02/27/04 10:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

I've never been to the Varsity, or even to Atlanta, but when it comes to customer service you also get what you give. If you are telling this forum that you think the staff prefers crack pipes to you, maybe the staff likely picks up on that when they are serving you, don't you think?? And if atmosphere is defined as having the chance of seeing a Lear jet cartwheel into a ball of flames, well heck .... then I guess most places must just plain suck

Not very nice post(s).

Given the text of "Ulver's" past post(s), I do not think he has evolved to our criteria, YET. Perhaps he is an outcast from PFB? Give him time. I remember once when when I was a first-poster to this site, also .

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 02/28/04 6:43 AM
Used to be a food critic long ago--found that it is not a long walk from "crude" to "rude", and if i made a comment like "prefer crack pipes to customers" there was an editor at the paper to remind me of exactly what slander meant, haveing been a studnet with a jobs in the local hangout if that was me working there that night you were commenting on, id probably be glad you didnt like the place and hope that dislike was enough to keep you away!Never lower yourself to the lousy standards that you perceive.

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 02/28/04 8:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Used to be a food critic long ago--found that it is not a long walk from "crude" to "rude", and if i made a comment like "prefer crack pipes to customers" there was an editor at the paper to remind me of exactly what slander meant, haveing been a studnet with a jobs in the local hangout if that was me working there that night you were commenting on, id probably be glad you didnt like the place and hope that dislike was enough to keep you away!Never lower yourself to the lousy standards that you perceive.

Wow! A food critic! What a great job!
And about those crack pipes: often the institution overshadows the actual reputation. And I certainly hope that was not a racial kind of thing...

Lynne

tiki
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 02/28/04 11:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

quote:

Wow! A food critic! What a great job!
And about those crack pipes: often the institution overshadows the actual reputation. And I certainly hope that was not a racial kind of thing...

Lynne

Actually, it WAS a great job and i think i might just start doing it again,the hard part is getting to eat all the meals for FREE?and about the pipe---ME TOO!

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 02/28/04 5:14 PM
I did that for my college newspaper. Lotsa fun. I'm a little out of practice writing for print.

jdjd1313
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 03/2/04 9:36 PM
I don't think many people go to the Varsity for the quality of the food. Regulars go because it is quick or no other burger joint is convenient late at night, or they are simply addicted to the stuff. I always get the burgers "naked" and dress 'em up myself as you never know how they will "dress" them and that is what most folks complain about. I only get through Atlanta a few times a year but if I'm by midtown I usually go to the Zesto's on Ponce De Leon for (bigger) burgers. And while the workers at The Varsity may seem a bit pushy at times, it's because they get very crowded and want to get the orders out ASAP-if you want a less atmospheric and rushed Varsity experience, try the less hectic Varsity in Athens.
And I'm surprised that crack pipe comment wasn't tossed but it's just as well that we know where fellow posters are coming from. I'd like to think it wasn't racist, but I doubt it--if meant as a joke there's no humour. The folks on the line at the Beacon Drive-In in Spartanburg, S.C. are like drill sergeants when it comes to getting your order in and out quickly when there are long lines, and, I can assure you, nobody there is on the pipe.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 03/2/04 11:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I first visited the Varsity in 1966. It was great then when you visited it late in the evening. Probably a similar experience with Krystal and White Castle. They did such a huge volume that you probably have to catch them when things are fresh. It is an experience.

I have not been there in the last several years. Probably Ort in Athens could give you his latest update?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, Folks,
I've been to the Varsity in Atlanta a total of maybe three times. I can't recall ever having been to The Varsity Jr. on Lindbergh Drive (or is it LaVista Road instead?). The Athens downtown one is long gone; my late Father used to love taking an occasional lunch there; I won't make any jokes about it contributing to his early demise at age 61: he was born with a bad heart.
About a year ago, my friend Steve and I took his old friend Bob to the Varsity on Milledge Avenue. I tried the chili cheese fries, and - although they were incredibly greasy, they were also amazingly good. Sad to remark that I haven't been back there since, although I do know the manager, Wilson Elder - I went to high school with him!
It strikes me that almost nobody goes to "The Greasy V" for the food quality: they go there for the (italics) experience. Oh, wow, man. Pass the Maalox.
Unqueasily, Ort. Carlton in Almost-As-Balmy-As-I-Am Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 03/2/04 11:31 PM
Dearfolk,
My favorite hamburger in Atlanta can be had at The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club at 1136 Euclid Ave., N/E, in Little Five Points. The place also has excellent smoker-cooked brisket and pulled pork and Brunswick stew that is almost as spicy as Bobby & June's Country Kitchen's at 14th. St., N/W at Mecaslin.
I can also recommend the food and ambience at The Universal Joint on Oakdale Road in South Decatur... right next to Decatur City Fire Station # 2.
Ulmer, you never ate at Wingo's Restaurant on Campbellton Road nor The Captain's Roost/Table on Main Street in East Point before they closed, did you? - Have you got any recommendations that this here Athenian might want to check out?
Unhungrily (At The Moment, But Things Change), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Wed, 03/3/04 9:06 AM
The Varsity is what it is - the world's first (and largest) drive-in. They were fast food before it was fast food. And as many pointed out, most go for the expoerience and the tradition. We all know you can find better food - but the experience of the "V" before ball games is something special. And the grease "fix" is something craved by many around here. There are about six Varsities now around metro Atlanta and Athens. Perhaps they do lack some of the "charm" since the founder died a few years back. I go about once a month for my grease fix.

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 03/5/04 1:40 AM
I visited the Varsity years ago and found neither the food nor the experience memorable. I do remember choosing not to eat on site (I don't care much for noise and crowds). But the staff was fine and I was treated well.

When I recently viewed the segment on The Varsity in the 1996 documentary, "A Hot Dog Story", I was impressed by how hard the Varsity staff works for their (probably meager) wages. I cannot help but feel there is a subtext of rascism in Ulver's unfortunate comment about staff and crack pipes.

Paulie
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 03/5/04 9:43 AM
I've never been to the Varsity and therefore have no clue what the makeup of the staff is in terms of hyphenated Americans. ULVER's post certainly makes no mention of race, creed or ethnicity. Why are all those who have sniffed out racism in this post automatically assuming that, by mentioning crack pipes, he is referring to black employees? On which side of the discussion is the real hint of racism here?

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 03/5/04 4:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie

I've never been to the Varsity and therefore have no clue what the makeup of the staff is in terms of hyphenated Americans. ULVER's post certainly makes no mention of race, creed or ethnicity. Why are all those who have sniffed out racism in this post automatically assuming that, by mentioning crack pipes, he is referring to black employees? On which side of the discussion is the real hint of racism here?

Anyone who has visited The Varsity or seen the documentary mentioned, as well as various food show segments, knows the wait staff are our brothers and sisters of a darker hue. Martin Luther King warned us to not be silent when we witness injustice (or intemperate remarks). I try to follow that line. As to the last question, I don't have to defend who I am or what I stand for.

tiki
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 03/6/04 1:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy
Anyone who has visited The Varsity or seen the documentary mentioned, as well as various food show segments, knows the wait staff are our brothers and sisters of a darker hue. Martin Luther King warned us to not be silent when we witness injustice (or intemperate remarks). I try to follow that line. As to the last question, I don't have to defend who I am or what I stand for.

Here here!

jdjd1313
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 03/6/04 2:12 AM
To Paulie--I'm a honky but have visited the Varsity for over 20 years. Probably 99% of the employees are Black. I think there were some racial overtones in the Ulmer crack pipe commentary, which i personally feel should not be on this board.

tiki
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sat, 03/6/04 7:36 AM
as one who is often the only one too speak up when racist comments are made--and i do so loudly--i just wanted to say that it is nice to see so many here who stand up to object to racism. i see that Ulver has made no reply to comments here since the thread got started. We all make mistakes and i sincerly hope that his was only engaging his typing fingers before his brain was awake and that he is not guilty of what he may appear to be. I would hate to see him labeled unfairly also.

jdjd1313
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 03/7/04 12:51 AM
Cheers Tiki--well said!

ULVER
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 03/14/04 8:47 PM
Oh my... WHAT a feel-good, fuzzy PC crowd. Of coure, I'm sure if I had an observation of a redneck, at a BBQ joint, calling him so, would raise no such ire. I know the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, promises us many things. I don't think safety from being offended, is to be found.

I do a lot of reviews, of a lot things. Food and pubs included. "Pub Crawler" for one example. I recently wrote, that our Buckhead area clubs are suffering, due to endless cruising by "young gangster thugs." Think I was talking about the Irish? I call 'em like I see 'em, and do it with the gloves off.

The food still sucks, too.

anselmo1
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 03/14/04 8:53 PM
I was at the Varsity in Atlanta back in 1983. After living in Western New York, I was deeply disappointed in the hot dogs and hamburgers. I like my hot dogs charcoal broiled as well as hamburgers. I think the quality of meat in the hamburger I had was borderline and who wants to eat a hot dog that tastes like rubber.

The Varsity was an interesting place to visit but I would never eat there again. Sorry Varsity, you are not my kind of place for quality food!

tiki
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Mon, 03/15/04 4:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

Oh my... WHAT a feel-good, fuzzy PC crowd. Of coure, I'm sure if I had an observation of a redneck, at a BBQ joint, calling him so, would raise no such ire. I know the Constitution and Bill Of Rights, promises us many things. I don't think safety from being offended, is to be found.

I do a lot of reviews, of a lot things. Food and pubs included. "Pub Crawler" for one example. I recently wrote, that our Buckhead area clubs are suffering, due to endless cruising by "young gangster thugs." Think I was talking about the Irish? I call 'em like I see 'em, and do it with the gloves off.

The food still sucks, too.

Yep--it may --and your still rude too. Your not the only one that calls em as he sees em!

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Wed, 03/17/04 10:44 PM
Dearfolk,
I never have much enjoyed the Buckhead entertainment district. It's always been too much of a "meat market" for my taste. Lately it seems that one group of thugs that hung out there was replaced by another group of thugs; one cadre of cruisers by another cadre; and so forth. Frankly, I don't much care what goes on up there: I won't be there; it's not my bag. I'll stick to places I know in Little Five Points, East Atlanta, South Decatur, and God-knows-where else south of Ponce de Leon Avenue... except to take in a few brewpubs on the Northside.
Not A Fall GuyIn The Springtime, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Relatively Safe Athens, Georgia.

Vince Macek
  • Total Posts : 855
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 03/18/04 7:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
I never have much enjoyed the Buckhead entertainment district. It's always been too much of a "meat market" for my taste. Lately it seems that one group of thugs that hung out there was replaced by another group of thugs; one cadre of cruisers by another cadre; and so forth. Frankly, I don't much care what goes on up there: I won't be there; it's not my bag. I'll stick to places I know in Little Five Points, East Atlanta, South Decatur, and God-knows-where else south of Ponce de Leon Avenue... except to take in a few brewpubs on the Northside.
Not A Fall GuyIn The Springtime, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Relatively Safe Athens, Georgia.

Dang, man - you pretty much said what I was going to! Since the County Cork Pub packed up & left these many years ago, Buckhead has nothing for me but my dentist's office. My main concern is of these former Buckhead partyers filtering into L5P, East Atlanta, etc.

Oneiron339
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 03/18/04 7:35 AM
I, too, stopped going to Buckhead when Carlos McGee's closed. Now that the bars have to close at 2:00am, the City is trying to get everyone back to Underground. Maybe the thugs will go there instead and leave Buckhead to the "fashionable" Northsiders, as the "Mayor" of Buckhead Sam MAssell wants. For me, I seldom go back within the city limits because, I don't need to. All I need has found its way to the suburbs. I don't need to carry the gun everyplace I go now.

mache
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Wed, 05/24/06 6:13 PM
I saw the name Wingo's mentioned. All you Atlantans' help me settle an arguement. Does any one remember the Wingo's on Campbellton Rd?
Wasn't it located kinda close to Fort Mac? And also the Lums. I thought it was on Lee St. Husband says it was on Campbellton. Anybody remember?

pcdiva
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Wed, 05/24/06 6:26 PM
I have to defend the honor of my beloved "V". You don't go there for the food quality, but if you manage to graduate from North Ave. Trade School, you must return to the Varsity every so often for your lube job or your insides freeze up. It's a well known Georgia Tech fact...

I can still remember going from Glenn dorm through the tunnel to get to the V for dogs, rings, and a big frosted O. Once I started working for the GT police dept., I could talk to the people in the tunnel and scare the bejabbers out of them! What fun!

Kisses from "a hell of an engineer" diva! (turned accountant, don'tcha know)

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Wed, 05/24/06 9:33 PM
The night I met up with Ort for a few craft brews, I polished off the evening with a visit to the Varsity in Athens. I can't recall the food, but it was a great day, all in all.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 05/25/06 10:41 AM
Have been to the Varsity off and on for years and I agree that the last few times I have been the quality of the food is bad. The chili dogs I had were so, so. The hamburger I couldn't even eat it was so dry, and the ring were greasy and ucky. I use to couldn't wait to go to the Varsity when I visited relatives near Atlanta, but now I don't even want to go any more. I do want to try the Vortex. I pulled up their website and the menu looks awsome. The teryiake burger is the one I want to try. Will definitely make it on my next visit.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 05/25/06 11:47 AM
There was more than the stench of racism in that diatribe, it had the sour grapes aroma of the spurned (a tramp will go with anyone but you)

Calling a hardworking person (of any race)a crackhead is in no way comparable to calling them a redneck, which to many is a badge of honor.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 05/25/06 1:54 PM
How is it possible to not like like the Varisty? You get your order and the brown paper bag is stained (almost completely) w/ grease before you leave the building. They scream at you for your order...even if you are the only customeer in the place.

Reminds me of the Beacon in Spartanburg, SC. Only the food is better in SC.

Adjudicator
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 05/25/06 8:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

Have been to the Varsity off and on for years and I agree that the last few times I have been the quality of the food is bad. The chili dogs I had were so, so. The hamburger I couldn't even eat it was so dry, and the ring were greasy and ucky. I use to couldn't wait to go to the Varsity when I visited relatives near Atlanta, but now I don't even want to go any more. I do want to try the Vortex. I pulled up their website and the menu looks awsome. The teryiake burger is the one I want to try. Will definitely make it on my next visit.

Get ready for some culture shock. The Vortex is good, but not great. More great food available just next door (or so): Savage Pizza.

"After reading their impressive web page, I was a bit dissapointed in the actual restaurant. The comic book theme of the restaurant, in my opinion, was a bit silly also, but one can expect just about anything in L5P. I decided to create my own pizza rather than ordering one of their pre-defined specialities; testing the limits so to speak. It was a very slow night and there were only two other customers there at the time I arrived, about 8:00 PM. The pizza was delivered without haste and I dug in. All toppings that I ordered (cheese X2, pepperoni X2, onions X2, sausage, mushrooms (appeared canned), and bananna peppers were quite tasty. As an added bonus I ordered the red pepper sauce in place of the usual tomato sauce, and it was quite good, also. The crust was crisp and yeasty, but the first thing I noticed was that is was way to thin to support my selections of toppings. I mostly had to eat the pizza with my fork. Unfortunately there were no other crust options other than thin crust. Also, the pepperoni was placed on top of the other toppings, which IMO is a drastic error, causing much of same to be crispy when eating. I have always judged a good pizza by the crust, the sauce, and the pepperoni. A good pepperoni to me is thick and slightly curled at the edges upon presentation, with the excess oil from same oozing into the rest of the pizza for that extra taste bonus. I will definitely go back to this place on my next visit, though. The atmosphere of the L5P area continues to becon." My write-up, BTW, on Yahoo.

Just a bit further down the road is Zesto's. Hot dog goodness. Forget the "V".

L5P has a culture unique to Atlanta.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 05/26/06 12:14 PM
Thanks Ad for the info. I just thought that since the Vortex was mentioned several times it might be worth a try. Zestos will be the one I try. I am definitely over the Varsity and will probably never eat there again (I have learned never to say "never" again.)

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 05/26/06 6:37 PM
There are four places I eat at in Atlanta. Strange group.

Sushi bar on the north side of town off 85 at the same exit where the Marriott resides, second shopping center on the left at the far right corner...one of the best in America.

RuSan's is not so much about great sushi as very good sushi w/ plenty of eye candy. I am a healthy male.

Harry's Farmer's Market salad bar...best out of town travel meal there is on this planet.

The Varsity, don't know how and what to order...go to GT for a while, you'll learn. Eat in the GT cafeteria for a while and you'll love the varsity and just run a few extra miles to burn off the garbage. Furnace is hot enough, it'll burn anything.

Adjudicator
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Fri, 05/26/06 8:06 PM
The whole deal about Atlanta food is that if I am in a certain area of same (say Stoned Mountain/Tucker area), I am not about to venture out to some other recommended establishment some 20-30 miles away, especially if I have to get on the interstate (aka dreaded I-285 insanity). So far in my travels I have been "confined" to above mentioned, Midtown (& Decatur), & Buckhead areas. If I can't find something I like within those areas then it is off to Publix for me.

dwaynes2
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 09/25/07 2:56 AM
Lived in Atlanta from '88-'90. At that time the Varsity sucked,Vickery's was good and the best burger I had in town was at Manual's near Little-Five-Points. The Yacht Club just plain had good food, especially the brie and fruit plate(cheap!!)

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 09/30/07 4:44 PM
I have lived in Cobb County since 1982 - 25 years. In that time, I have eaten at the North Avenue Varsity twice and the Cobb County-Town Center location once. The comparisons to the Beacon in Spartanburg are interesting. We have been there once, and did see the similarity to Varisty. Just the same, the Beacon was much more enjoyable. We will likely eat there again when in Spartanburg at meal time. Metro Atlanta just has way too many food choices for me to intentionally go to the Varsity. I know the Varsity has its fans. I am not one of them.

Xu
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 09/30/07 8:29 PM
Years ago, I ate at the Varisty when i was passing through Atlanta - it WAS "different" - I think I had a cheeseburger, onion rings and that "FO" thing I took to be some kind of funky milkshake.

Yep, the experience.
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

There was more than the stench of racism in that diatribe, it had the sour grapes aroma of the spurned (a tramp will go with anyone but you)

Calling a hardworking person (of any race)a crackhead is in no way comparable to calling them a redneck, which to many is a badge of honor.

I would think they were both insults.

prius
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 09/30/07 9:56 PM
Nothing better than a fried peach pie at the Varsity. Dogs are good. Experience is good. Methinks you expect too much.

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 09/30/07 10:57 PM
It's an "experience" and that's about it. I wouldn't say it is over rated because I don't think anyone is saying the food is great there.

They are very, very fortunate to enjoy a lot of press though. Don't know if they have a public relations firm on board or what....

ULVER
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 10/11/07 1:40 PM
Return trip to the big V...

As with the last trip, just after finishing up, I asked myself, was a mere decent chili dog, really worth what will come later?

Actually, this dog was worse than before. The onions were absolutely water-logged. Vidalias minced on the premises? Yeah, right! I suspect they were defrosted, and previoulsy frozen brand X. Disgusting! Plus, the bun was crusty, if not a bit stale. Ya sell thousands of dogs each day, but the buns gets stale? How?

The onion rings are good, till they attack a day later. The fries, called "strings" at the Varsity live up to their moniker. They have the flavor of old, tired shoe strings. Without a doubt the most pathetic in town, on a consistant basis. Just horrid.

"No food over 12 hours old", the Varsity likes to say. And this is suppose to sound appealing? I must get there at 11 & 1/2th hours.

Ya do better with a sack of Krystals, I am now convinced.

patmac
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 10/11/07 6:07 PM
Every town (of any size) has a place like the Varsity. A place much revered by the locals but one unlikely to win over those who are from somewhere else - those who don't have long memories of it as a place of food and good times.
I work with two ladies who went to the Varsity almost every day after school back in the 50's. They and their friends would pile into a car and go cruise for a dawg, a burger or a coke. Back then Varsity was very much a drive-in and a high school hang-out.
I remember great times at my local drive-in and I still think they had the best burgers in the world. Just like the two ladies who think Varsity has the best darned dawgs and burgers.
Many also have great memories of the Varsity from their time as students at Georgia Tech which is just a stone's throw away. Oh, to be that young again and have a digestive system that could withstand that much grease on a daily basis and THRIVE.

wabbitslayer
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 10/14/07 8:17 AM
Does this mean you won't be going back again and then telling us all how much you hated it? Good. Now those of us who like it will have an easier time finding a parking spot.

waiterhell
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 10/14/07 8:53 AM
...and yet everytime I eat there I get the squirts???

Not so much politicial in my mind, just careless/sloppy food handling......wonder who THEIR food suppliers are these days?????

Atlanta_Tider
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 10/30/07 10:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wabbitslayer

Does this mean you won't be going back again and then telling us all how much you hated it? Good. Now those of us who like it will have an easier time finding a parking spot.
Amen!!! I think most of these people probably got yelled at by the counter help when they stood there looking at the menu saying " uhhhh" instead of stepping up and ordering! Everyone has a right to their opinions, no one ever said the Varsity was a 5 star place to eat! Its an Atlanta tradition to me!

Oneiron339
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Wed, 10/31/07 7:07 AM
I used to go to the V about once or more per week (many moons ago), now it's once every few months because of distance, but they still taste good to me - two chili dogs, a double chili steak, fries or O Rings, and a jumbo orange.

fbradjr
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 11/8/07 1:32 AM
Having lived in Atlanta for several years I use to eat at the Varsity weekly.

I have eaten at the Ga Tech location but I lived off JCB and 85 and that was my location.

Staff was same as every restaurant in town mixed. The Food was fast food and hot and ready when needed.

Fried Peach pie was great along with many other items from slaw dogs, chilidogs, and a big orange drink.
The only slogan I ever heard was“What you have?”

88KeyzATL
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 12/9/07 12:11 PM
I've been in ATL for 7 years now. I admit I do indulge in the Varsity(North Ave. location) from time to time. The burgers aren't the best, and I detest the fries, but the chili/slaw dogs are great. I also love the orange drink(the original-not the Frosted orange version).

I do agree with whoever mentioned that Zesto's generally taste better than Varsity. Unfortunately they closed what was in my opinion the best drive-in restaurant in Cobb County (Fat Boys)to make room for road widening...

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 12/9/07 1:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 88KeyzATL

I've been in ATL for 7 years now. I admit I do indulge in the Varsity(North Ave. location) from time to time. The burgers aren't the best, and I detest the fries, but the chili/slaw dogs are great. I also love the orange drink(the original-not the Frosted orange version).

I do agree with whoever mentioned that Zesto's generally taste better than Varsity. Unfortunately they closed what was in my opinion the best drive-in restaurant in Cobb County (Fat Boys)to make room for road widening...

Thank you for the tribute to Fat Boy's in Smyrna. It was located less than a mile from where I had my retail store for twenty years. I ate there often, and took family members numerous times. My wife and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in Fernandina Beach when Fat Boy's closed. Our two children were there for one last meal and happened to be interviewed and quoted on page one by the Marietta Daily Journal regarding their extremely long wait in line and why they were willing to wait. They were Fat Boy's fans as much as their father was. My favorite was their gyro plate - but they were famous for their foot long chili dog.

88KeyzATL
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Sun, 12/9/07 6:39 PM
Man...when I read that Fat Boys was closing, I was really

That place had so much to offer that it often took me 10 minutes or more to decide what I wanted...burgers, dogs, seafood plates, salads... They had both Zesto's and The Varsity beat hands down..RIP Fat Boys...

vwgto
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 12/25/07 9:59 PM
Funny that this thread turns to Fat Boys, which was riding on some of the same nostalgia - - just a Cobb County version. I was a Cobb/Georgia transplant, and learned about Fat Boys. Tried it, and was thoroughly unimpressed. I love places with history, so I am not disappointed easily. The Varsity is unique, especially in a city that generally does not "do hot dogs". Worked in Midtown, and lived on the North Ave Varsity for several years (and apparently built-up digestive resistance). Chili dog w/onions, fries, PC, and fried pie.... No longer live in area, but still enjoy a visit to the Varsity when I am in Georgia.

prius
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Tue, 12/25/07 10:22 PM
Solid hot dog and great fried peach pie...what better Roadfood exists?

wesleywhatwhat
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Mon, 09/29/08 3:24 PM
having actually eaten at the varsity a number of times in the past 15 years (which seems to set this post apart from 2/3 of the others on this thread), including 5 years locked up at georgia tech, i can affirm one thing:

there is indeed some overlap between varsity employees and the crackheads that infest that neighborhood.

call it what u will, just don't pretend it isn't true...

cameron074
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Mon, 09/29/08 9:03 PM
It's a shame this place isn't up north, I'd love to see how disgustingly greasy you've all described it as.

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Mon, 09/29/08 9:38 PM
I'm not trying to be unkind , but the hotdogs at the Varsity are the worst ones we've ever eaten ...

Wabbit
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Mon, 09/29/08 10:13 PM
The Varsity is a long time Mom and Pop owned place with long time employees, They do not claim to be 5 Star dining. As others have said , its a experience, it will never receive a Michelin star rating, its a Hot dog, Burger , type of place. The comment about the "crack pipe" was not needed to comment on the food or the service.

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Mon, 09/29/08 11:08 PM
I know Wabbit , my husband & I have been there several times ... We're from Dothan , Alabama ... I love Mom & Pop establishments ... They're our favorite kind of eating place . But , I was just commenting on the quality of hotdog . I didn't mention any " crack pipes "...

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Hey Atlanta: The Varsity Sucks! - Thu, 10/2/08 9:26 PM
Dearfolk,
Methinks the Varsity is not all it's cracked up to be. (Tee hee.)
Piping Up, Ort. Carlton in Nearby Athens.
P. S. The Varsity is still open here at West Broad Street, corner North Milledge Avenue. My old friend Wilson Elder is no longer running the place, but the tradition remains intact.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 62