R.I.P. Ray Bradbury

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
  • Reward points : 0
R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 06/6/12 4:08 PM
Ray Bradbury, one of America's greatest living authors died today. Known for his great science fiction works like The Illustrated Man, The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenhet 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes. he was more than that:He was a poetic novelist. The master of Metaphor, his description was often beautuful. As an example, pick up Fahrenheit 451, thumb near the end and read Granger's description of his Greandfather--it's some of his most beautiful writing. I have lectured on him for many years. We will now have to add June 6th, 2012 as his date of passing. Rest in peace in the beauty of the Universe, Ray.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 06/6/12 4:35 PM
Truly a very gifted man.  He sold his first story at age 21.  Here is the Associated Press story of his life: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20120606/D9V7QH781.html 

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 06/6/12 6:07 PM
One of my favorite authors.....sad to see him go.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7599
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 06/6/12 10:18 PM
Nice man and nice family.  He lived near my brother and I used to ride the bus with his daughter.

He also used to speak at functions around town.

RIP Ray

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 06/6/12 10:57 PM
At the risk of turning this thread into a political discussion, may I suggest that "Fahrenheit 451" should be required reading for every man, woman, and child above the age of 13.  Bradbury predicted in 1953 the demonizing of education and knowledge that has come to pass in frightening fashion.  We may not be burning books yet, but our lack of respect for thoughtful ideas, science, and any version of "history" that doesn't reflect our specific world view is all presaged by Bradbury in jaw dropping detail.

Ray Bradbury was a very smart man.  If you've resisted reading his work because of the "Science Fiction" label slapped on it, reconsider.  There's a big difference between the thoughtful, reality based ideas expressed in "Science Fiction" as compared to the lasers and space monsters that exist in "Science Fantasy"

Buddy

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3296
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Thu, 06/7/12 2:40 AM
I usually don't have a thing about celebrity deaths beyond "oh, that's too bad". But this one...I never met him, but I have considered him a longtime friend since about the third or fourth grade when I first picked up on of his book on a whim. I now own every single one of them, and re-read them pretty constantly. Occasionally, I still see myself in Jim Nightshade, but tempered with a bit of Will Halloway.

Sleep well, old friend. I'm certainly sorry to see you go, but you've definitely earned the rest.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Thu, 06/7/12 5:17 AM
Buddyroadhouse, you're so right. Fahrenheit 451 is also about a world where there is a lack of communication...not just from burning books. In that book, people also watch tv all day...go speeding down super highways(this was written well before interstates)....take drugs to go to sleep and to wake up....interact with their"wall tv"......don't listen to one another.....and watch police car chases live on tv(think O.J.) On TV, there are presidential debates(again,long before Nixon- Kennedy started it)...and (help)  people pick presidents by the sound of their name or look,,,,I could go on...but you get the idea. Ray Bradbury also saw into the future...much of that book, written in 1951 has come true,,,he predicted us...and in that book "us" doesn't look good.Yes, Ray was more than just a writer!!!

chucktay1
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 06/27/12 6:34 AM
Rest in peace, Ray.  

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
Re:R.I.P. Ray Bradbury - Wed, 07/4/12 6:44 AM
One of my very favorite authors. RIP Ray.