Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin

Junior Burger
2012/06/09 09:54:04
Hi everyone!
 My wife and I will be attending the AmeriVespa motor scooter rally in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin later this month.
Leaving from Pensacola, FL, we will travel I-65 N to Memphis and then head West towards the Great River Road and continue on that until we reach Southern Wisconsin.

We decided that for the 2 days we are on the GRR, two out of three of our meals a day have to come from some place other than a national fast food chain. 
So, folks, we need your help!

We would love to hear any suggestions that you have regarding good, interesting, fun foods along the Northern GRR. 
Thank you all in advance.

Regards, Gary 
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 10:03:46
Gary,

Set your goals higher - 3 out of 3 will be non-chain.  Welcome to RoadFood, you should get some great advice here.

Are you riding Vespa's all the way here?

Jim
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 10:32:26
A great deal of the Great River Road is going through small town Midwest where you won't find that many national chains so plenty of roadfood options. Maybe you can give us from what point to what point you will be on the road so we can better help you! 
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 10:56:05
Gary, just to piggyback on what JRPfeff said, don't limit yourself to only the GRR for Roadfood, either.

There's a funky little place in Sabula, Iowa called Bombfire Pizza that's on my must-visit list for this summer, especially after watching the videos on the page.  And if you get as far north as Dubuque there's a supper club called Kall Inn that's been around for years outside of Hazel Green - another place I haven't visited but would really like to.  I realize I can't recommend these places from experience (yet) but they sure seem worthy of investigation.

How far north on the GRR are you planning to go, and from there what's your anticipated route to Lake Geneva?  FYI, if you've never been to Lake Geneva in the summer you should know that it's always packed (you'll see more IL license plates there than you will on your entire drive through the Land of Lincoln) and trying to get around by car can test one's patience.

Brad
Genuine
Junior Burger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 11:21:45
  We will be picking up the GRR around Memphis, TN and continuing on it until Dubuque, IA.
Three meals of non-fast food would be a great goal, and no, we will be towing our Genuine Scooters to Amerivespa in Wisconsin.

We have not decided on the route from Dubuque to Lake Geneva, (perhaps 20 to 75).
post edited by Genuine - 2012/06/09 11:29:46
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 11:42:05
If you're planning on taking WI-11 eastward from Dubuque, there's a little ice cream stand on the southern edge of Benton if you just want to take a break and have a snack.  For something more substantial, last year I had a good Sunday lunch at the Brewster House in Shullsburg.  And in downtown Monroe is Baumgartner's, famous for its limburger cheese sandwiches.

Oh, and watch your speed as you pass through Lafayette County!  It's reputed to be an area of tight enforcement.

Edit: Just saw your comment about possibly taking US-20.  Keep in mind that it's the main road to, through, and from Galena and in the summer can get quite busy with the tourist traffic (NW IL and SW WI are historic lead-mining regions), and there's also bridge reconstruction right in town.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/06/09 11:44:46
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 12:51:47
I'd avoid 20 for the same reasons SC mentions above but also it's a very narrow 2 lane road through some winding areas and can be dangerous. It also gets to a point of flat cornfield and pretty boring. Southern Wisconsin is much more interesting. If you have the time you could take a swing through Mineral Point, Mt Horeb and New Glarus, all just west of Madison and all with unique features.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/09 16:28:54
Welcome to Roadfood!
I suggest re-reading your roadmap! I-65 goes to Montgomery, Birmingham and Nashville. Goes Northeast----- Memphis is Northwest from Pace!
Suggest going over to Mobile then North on US 45 to Meridian and on to Tupelo. Get on US 78 at Tupelo and then on to Memphis. Beautiful country with lots of Roadfood Mom & Pops along the way like Phillips Grocery in Holly Springs, MS.
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/203/phillips-grocery
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/09 16:35:00
Genuine
Junior Burger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/10 07:10:42
Foodbme
Yes, I left out 65 to 78.
We want to start out making some headway so we have chosen 65 N and will pick up GRR later. 
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/10 14:46:19
On Highway 45 in Mississippi check out West Point. For food check out Anthony's Good Food Market. Great place. Also the Tin Lizzy has great breakfasts.

For non roadfood interests West Point is the home of blues legend Howlin' Wolf. Check out teh museum, statue, and if you are ever there on the Labor Day Weekend the wonderful Blues Festival

In Memphis on Hghway 78 get breakfast at the Barksdale.
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/11 12:20:06
Are you going through Birmingham.  I would head W to Hattiesburg, MS and N to Jackson, MS then on to Memphis on I 55.
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/11 12:46:27
So you plan to go up # 45.  Let me help you get through Mobile to # 45 and on North. 
Get off I 10 at Exit 27 E of Mobile.  Don’t go through the George Wallace Tunnel.  Go N on # 90 and cross the bay on the bridge at Baybridge Road which is also # 90.  Go to I 65 or W Rebel Road and turn N.  Go N to Exit 13 and go W on # 158 or Industrial Parkway to # 45.  This is the alternate truck route but you won’t have to drive the short stretch through downtown Mobile or the tunnel. 
Highway 45 to the State Line is two lane but it’s four lane through Mississippi.  There’s not many many places to stop and rest on # 45.  Meridian is a nice town.  There’s a McDonald’s and Holiday Inn in West Point if you need to stop and rest.  Tupelo has a lot of nice restaurants and hotels.  Stay on Alternate Highway 45 S to Brooksville, MS.  You don't want to go through Aberdeen and Columbus. Take 3 45 N to Tupelo and Jackson, TN unless you want to go through Memphis.  I would bypass Memphis because the traffic is bad on # 78 and the bypass around Memphis.  At Jackson, TN go NW to Dyersburg, TN and get on I 155 going W to I 55.  Good luck. 
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/11 12:54:33
This is the return route instructions to Mobile going S. 
Take I 155 just N of Memphis to Dyersburg, TN and then on to Jackson, TN. Go S on # 45 to Tupelo and on to Mobile, AL.
I live just S of Memphis, TN and I have gone to GS down I 55 to Jackson, MS to Hattiesburg, MS and then to Mobile, AL on # 98 all my life. I recently discovered # 45. I did not know it was 4 lane to AL. It seems if you live in W Memphis it's best to take I 55. If you leave from E Memphis it's best to take # 45.
Since you are coming from St. Louis the I 155 through Dyersburg is correct. You will bypass Memphis and a lot of traffic.
When you get S of Tupelo, MS you will go about 10 miles and see an Exit for Highway 45 S to Aberdeen and Columbus. This is near Shannon, MS. Do not Exit there. Continue going S on Alternate Highway 45. Follow the signs to West Point and Meridian. You don't want to go through Aberdeen and Columbus. Stay on Alternate Highway 45 S to Brooksville, MS where you will join Highway 45 and have 4 lane to the AL/MS state line.
There are not many places to stop and rest on this route. There's quite a few in Tupelo. Between Tupelo and 'West Point is very little. There's a McDonald's in West Point. There's a Holiday Inn in West Point that will let you stop to rest also. If you want to stop to eat you should do that in Meridian, MS.
When you cross the MS/AL state line # 45 is two lane to Mobile but you have missed the traffic in Memphis, TN and Jackson, MS. It's not far from the SL to Mobile.
When you get just N of Mobile on Highway 45 take a left and go E on HIghway 158 which is Industrial Parkway. I think it will direct you towards Mobile University and Saraland. You don't want to stay on Highway 45 to I 65 and go around Mobile, AL on the W side. This route will take you around the E side of Mobile, AL through downtown and save you 30 minutes.
The second Exit when you get on Highway 158 will be I 65. Get on I 65 and go S to Exit 9 and go S on I 165 to Downtown and Docks. I 165 will become Water Street. Continue S to I 10. Get in the left lane when you pass under I 10 and circle back W and N to get on I 10.
Another Mobile suggestion is to take Exit 1 B off I 165 on to W Rebel Road and S to Baybridge Road which is also Highway 90. Go E on Baybridge Road and cross the bridge then turn S on Highway 90 to I 10. You will get on I 10 E of the George Wallace Tunnel. Pay close attention when you get close to I 10. The intersection at Highway 90 and I 10 lookes kind of tricky to me. Just follow the I 10 E signs. This is the alternate truck route but you don't have to drive a short stretch through downtown and also through the tunnel.
I would stop in Memphis on the way S.  Spend the night downtown near historic Beale Street and enjoy the music and BBQ.  Head S on # 61 to Clarksdale home of the blues then visit Vicksbug, MS. 
In Vicksburg you could tour the old antebellum homes and the Vicksburg National Military Park.
Have lunch/dinner @ Rusty's River Front Grill @ 901 South Washington St., Vicksburg, MS 601 - 638 -2030.
or @ Walnut Hills @ 1214 Adams Street, Vicksburg, MS 601 - 638 - 4910‎ for southern cooking. Head E to Jackson, MS then S to Hattiesburg and Mobile.  Stop in HB at Leatha's for outstanding BBQ. 

VISIT THE DELTA......
http://www.visitthedelta.com/

MS BLUES TRAIL...........
http://www.msbluestrail.org/
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/11 12:56:05
Memphis BBQ is the best in the U. S. but there are very few joints close to I 40 that are convenient for long distance travelers that are usually in a big hurry and like to stop at places close to the IS. Cozy Corner is not too much trouble though.
If you want to stop in Memphis, TN for BBQ I suggest you go to Cozy Corner BBQ due to it's location close to I 40. Right before you cross the Mississippi River get off I 40 at Exit 1B and go N on N Danny Thomas Blvd. Go about 2 blocks and you will pass St. Jude Children's Hospital then take a right on N. Parkway. Go 2 blocks to Cozy Corner for outstanding BBQ.
Cozy Corner @ 745 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN. 901 - 527 - 9158.
http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/
The best BBQ in Memphis, TN can be found at A & R. BBQ Shop, Central, Rendezvous, Cozy Corner, Interstate, Neely's, One and Only and Payne's.
A & R Bar B Que @ 1802 Elvis Presley Blvd., Memphis, TN. 901 - 774 - 7444.
http://www.aandrbbq.com/
BBQ Shop @ 1782 Madison Ave., Memphis, TN. 901 - 272 - 1277.
http://www.dancingpigs.com/
Central BBQ @ 2249 Central Ave., Memphis, TN. 901 - 272 - 9377.
Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous @ 52 S. Second St., Memphis, TN. 901 - 523 - 2746.
http://www.hogsfly.com/
Cozy Corner @ 745 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN. 901 - 527 - 9158.
http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/
Interstate BBQ @ 2265 S. Third St., Memphis, TN. 901 - 775 - 2304.
http://www.interstatebarbecue.com/
Neely's BBQ @ 670 Jefferson St., Memphis, TN. 901 - 521 - 9798.
http://www.neelysbbq.com/
One and Only BBQ @ 1779 Kirby Pkwy., Memphis, TN 901 - 751 - 3615.
http://www.oneandonlybbq.com/
Paynes BBQ @ 1762 Lamar Ave., Memphis, TN. 901 - 272 - 1523.
The BBQ Shop and One and Only are my favorites but Payne's is famous for their pulled pork sandwich.
Incidentally Interstate BBQ in Southaven, MS just reopened after a huge renovation.
Interstate BBQ @ 150 Stateline Road W, Southaven, MS. 662 - 393 - 5699.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/11 12:59:44
If you do take the Great River Road all the way to Wisconsin, I can not recommend Stockholm Pie Company high enough.  It may be my favorite pie shop in the country.
ALL GOOD
Hamburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/11 13:16:27
I find it interesting that they are having "AmeriVespa" in Wisconsin of all places.....Harley Davidson Country.  Watch out for all those tough bikers that may come rolling in to kick your tires. :)  LOL...just laughing WITH you, NOT at you!

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/17 16:17:37
Genuine,

Check out the map that is linked in this thread.  You can filter the shows where the restaurants were featured.  Try looking at the Feasting on Asphalt Restaurants (with host Alton Brown).  One year the series took a trip up the Mississippi.

Jim
Genuine
Junior Burger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/19 11:03:16
Hi JPRfeff,
  Yes, we've seen that show. We are fans of Alton. He ate way too many donuts on one show 
I have also seen the link you wrote about. Thank you for sharing so others can see it too.

Thank you to all that posted places to be checked out.

Please keep adding to this if you know eateries along the GGR. I hope others decide that Interstates are quite boring and they have the option of making the trip as much fun as the destination!

Thanks again!
Regards,
Gary
aka Genuine
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/19 11:07:24
Are you on the road yet, Gary?  I see that the rally starts Thursday and thought that you might've gotten started Sunday or yesterday.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/20 12:49:05
I have nothing to add except I have a friend who is a *dancer* at a club in Lake Geneva + Welcome to Wisconsin!!!
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/21 10:17:50
We ate at the Brewster House also, and had an awesome piece of "sawdust" pie!
I'd love to find a recipe...
it was like pecan-coconut everything pie
YUM
It made me think of Buffetbuster...
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/21 10:57:28
irisarbor-
Thanks for thinking of me.  I have never heard of sawdust pie before.  It kind of makes me think of millionaire pie, which has pineapple and pecans in it.
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Great River Road - Memphis to Wisconsin 2012/06/21 14:56:32

Sawdust Pie By Fauve @ http://www.food.com/recipe/sawdust-pie-96270

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon vanilla
7 unbeaten egg whites
1 9" unbaked pie shell
whipped topping
sliced banana (optional)

Directions:
1- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2- Place unbeaten egg whites in a bowl.
3- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, coconut, pecans, graham cracker crumbs and vanilla.
4- Mix into unbeaten egg whites.
5- Pour into pie shell.
6- Bake 30 minutes or until done.
7- Serve at room temperature topped with whipped topping and banana slices.