Homemade Ice Cream Toppings

Filet Mignon
2012/06/13 09:05:03
A few days ago I found some old hard dried up raisins in the back of my kitchen closet. Rather than throw them away, I took them out and poured rum over them. Yesterday I poured it over vanilla ice cream, Yummmmm. They had softened up great. I'm thinking of variations, like adding bananas, or apples, or whatever. One winter I made a similar sauce of heating apples in rum.

Ideas?

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/13 20:02:47
I'd like to give homemade sprinkles a try...

http://iambaker.net/homemade-sprinkles
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 00:55:14
I make a spicey chex mix with a lot of Cayenne pepper in it.  Lots of garlic and onion powder overtones and I use Kix, potato sticks, Cherios, and Bugles in addition to the Chex/peanuts stuff.  Crushed (make sure no pretzels), with or without a bit of caramel sauce, it makes a fine topping for ice cream..visually appealing and a nice salty/spice counterpoint
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 00:58:11
And I'd be willing to bet that those raisins soaked in rum would also go well with rice and onions, especially if you cook the rice in chicken broth
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 10:15:59
Why no pretzels with chex mix?

"Crushed (make sure no pretzels)," 

Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 10:44:10
chopped dark chocolate, morello cherries that were bottled with kirsch, and toasted almond pieces over vanilla ice cream.

MMMMM. 
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 13:14:15
just mashed a banana into my rum raisin, then added a pinch of garam masala!!
good on greek yoghurt too
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 20:22:58
Nestle's Quick thinned with the desired amount of milk, then heated with about 2-3 Tblespns of Butter...Makes a fine Hot Fudge Sauce. I tend to use less milk and more butter !
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/14 22:59:14
NYNM.........um....the main reason is some folks around here are getting older and having to crunch on hard pretzels is tough.........lol..having said that, i suppose if it's all crushed up, it doesn't matter
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/15 04:39:36
Stir a little milk into some Nutella, nuke it a litte bit, pour over Ice Cream like Hot Fudge and sprinkle with some salted peanuts!
BelleReve
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/17 11:59:54
NYNM - you might like this recipe, supposedly it's one of Galatoire's signature desserts, though I've never eaten it there, have made it many times at home.

Princess Cup (serves 4)

11/2 cups canned fruit cocktail, or diced fresh soft fruit like peaches, plums, or pineapple, drained, reserve 1/3 cup syrup or juice
3/4 cup Cointreau
vanilla ice cream

Put the fruit cocktail or diced fruit and 1/3 syrup or juice into a stainless steel or porcelain bowl, and pour 1/2 cup Cointreau over it.  Mix thoroughly.  Cover, and refrigerator a couple of hours before serving.

To serve, put about 3 TBS. of the fruit mixture at the bottom of each of 4 parfait glasses.  Add 2 scoops of ice cream.  Cover each portion with one-quarter of the remaining fruit mixture and pour 1 TBS. of Cointreau over.  Set the parfaits on small flat plates and serve.

NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/17 12:36:45
BelleReve: Sounds goooood - and easy!
BelleReve
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/06/17 12:56:53
oh yeah - under 5 ingredients and you can't mess it up, just needs to be really cold.
goodfoodwarehouse
Junior Burger
Re:Homemade Ice Cream Toppings 2012/07/16 03:02:07
slaveforpizzaandsushi

chopped dark chocolate, morello cherries that were bottled with kirsch, and toasted almond pieces over vanilla ice cream.

MMMMM. 

hi

Sound cool !
Sure will try soon..Love to chocolate recipe..