A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI

Hamburger
2012/06/16 10:41:27
We're in Chicago for the Just for laughs festival and have been blog posting away about our adventures there, but yesterday we took a day trip to Kenosha, WI and ate at a total gem, there, Frank's Diner. A classic if there ever was one!

New Post: A diner with major 'tude, and a Jelly Belly finish in Kenosha, Wisconsin!
http://happymouth.ca/?p=6844
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/16 12:02:15
Glad you had the Franks experience. Have eaten there several times as my best friend lives in Kenosha.....
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/20 14:00:14
I grew up in Kenosha & would not eat at Frank's even if you paid me. Why not Big Star or The Spot???
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/20 14:18:21
Stricken_detective-
Do you not like the food at Frank's?  Or is it the 'Tude?  It sounds like you had a really bad experience there.  I have never been there, so I am curious.
stricken_detective
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/21 16:02:22
The food was meh, the service was worse & without going into more detail, I got sick from eating there. I know CSD loves it there, YMMV.

My ex-stepfather says when he was a paperboy for Kenosha News, all the paperboys would go there for chocolate shakes when they got paid because it was right across the street.

My grandparents used to go on dates to Big Star. In 1945. Be careful though, they use Velveeta as their cheese now--I didn't realize & am allergic. My grandma would get the fried shrimp dinner on her dates with my grandfather.

The Spot is open SUPER late. (My dad worked 2nd shift @ AMC/Chrysler.) He likes the bacon double cheeseburger with the works. He brings it home & sprinkles it with cracked garlic peppercorns before eating it. (That was before his transplant.)  If you go to The Spot--get a grilled cheese--they're round !!!

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/21 20:19:32
Both the Spot, and Big Star are great. I go to both. I believe Franks is a different experince from the afore mentioned restaurants.

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/21 22:12:15
I've been to Frank's but not the Spot or the Big Star. If I had to pick one (on a drive through), which should it be? It sounds like Big Star is getting more love. Aimee? Ann? Anyone else?
stricken_detective
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/22 00:35:36
Yeah, Annie, and for me the dining experience can't include getting sick afterward. Of all the places we've eaten over the years, they're the only one I wouldn't go back to. I didn't go with the Contingent, but that shouldn't matter. They should serve quality food all the time, not just when they Google themselves & find out someone from Roadfood is coming.
quijote

I've been to Frank's but not the Spot or the Big Star. If I had to pick one (on a drive through), which should it be? It sounds like Big Star is getting more love. Aimee? Ann? Anyone else?

Of course I am going to say you should do both.

Of the two, Big Star is only open from March to September? The Spot is open year round & has a big Christmas tree on their roof in December. The Spot has ice cream sundaes. Big Star may have them, too.

Frank's is a sit down restaurant. Both Big Star and The Spot, the carhop comes to your car. You can either stay there & eat or take the food home. They are both easily accessible from the freeway, and both right down the street from a very nice park overlooking Lake Michigan that you could eat your grub at. Both serve root beer in frosted mugs.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/22 11:17:59
Didnt notice you got sick after eating at Franks. Sorry, my friend-I wouldnt go back either......
My friend Quijote( by the way, had a fabulous time with you at Sun Wah) I would visit Big Star first. As Aimee said, they are only open for a season.You can go to The Spot anytime. My opinion, while both are great- I like Big Star because of the old time drive-in atmosphere. Adds to the experience of their great food. Both are great, though!!!
stricken_detective
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/25 01:47:36
haha, Annie. Here is a Kenosha thing--Ever driven home from The Spot with one of their root beer mugs still in your car? We have, and drove right back to give it back. (how embarrassing) I wonder how many they've lost over the years?
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/26 10:27:38
That's great advice, both of youze, and if I manage to get over that way this summer, I'll just try to go to both (why not?). I hope we get to see each other soon-- if activity with the Contingent remains slow, I'll suggest a gathering sometime in August. I'd put one together now, but work is nibbling at my heels, so time is hard to come by.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/26 14:43:17
Buddy and I talked briefly-lets get a Wisconsin get together soon-August would be good for all of us.....I might be up to putting it together........I, personally, would love an east side of Milwaukee thing......

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/27 00:19:53
Annie, you put the tour together, give us enough notice to clear our schedules, and we'll be there!

Buddy
stricken_detective
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/27 01:37:12
How funny! abe_froeman & I were just discussing a S side of Chicago/NW Indiana tour.

Yours first, Annie!!!

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/27 16:52:07
Great-thanks for the pressure!!! But thanks for the incentive! Will start.....you guys are brats-what a great way to make me show up!!
stricken_detective
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/06/28 01:51:01
  What can we say? We like you, we really like you!
redmac
Junior Burger
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/07/13 17:33:22
You MUST go to Big Star. I grew up there. Classic 50's drive in. Get a double cheeseburger with onions. And the crinkle-cut fries. I remember walking over from the bike races as a kid in the summer to get a shake. And I remember going there for lunch in high school for under a buck. (that was long ago..). Note - they have bike races on Tuesday nights in the summer at Washington Bowl about a block west of the Big Star. Great to watch on a nice summer evening...

The other good breakfast place in town is the Coffee Pot down on 7th Ave and 50th Street. Personally I think the food is better there than Franks. Great Coffee Pot sign outside that has been there forever. A couple of gals run it. I just go there for breakfast. If you do, be sure to order the "house toast"
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/07/14 00:17:18
Thanks, redmac. I'm starting to put together my own little road trip here. If any of these places are open on Sundays, I may be able to stop by one in a couple of weeks. Otherwise I'll make a mid-week or Saturday trip and throw in a visit to Tenuta's for good measure.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/07/14 12:40:31
Tenuta's????They know me by name......i would love to meet up with you there......

myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/07/14 22:35:33
Tenuta's...just ate there today...a great, great spot....everything is good there.
stricken_detective
Re:A Diner with 'Tude in Kenosha , WI 2012/07/27 03:57:30
Did the Coffee Pot used to be called something like Bubba's or Bob's?? It's across the street from the Boat House? By St George's Church?

I'd go to Tenuta's any time. When my grandfather passed 2 years ago, they sent us over a tray of meats, a tray of cheeses, and 2 ginormous sandwiches. It meant a lot as none of us guidos were up to cooking.