lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA

Double-chop Porterhouse
2012/06/19 14:49:27
lleechef will be interviewed tomorrow (Wednesday, June 20,2012) on KSKA-FM, Alaska Public Radio, about Roadfood in Alaska. The program airs live at 6 p.m. EDT. The host of the program, Kathleen McCoy, spotted a Roadfood thread dating to 2003 that lleechef started asking  why there were no Alaska places listed on the website. She recently contacted Lisa, first on Roadfood and then by phone, to talk about the subject, and yesterday they set things up for the broadcast.

Anyone interested in listening can use this URL to hear KSKA live streaming:
http://jrabold.net/radio/7kska.shtml

EDITED TO REFLECT CORRECT TIME TO 6 p.m. EDT

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/06/20 13:34:37
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 14:53:25
Cool! I'll be sure to listen!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 15:14:22
Fantastic!  Way to go Lisa!  Can't wait to hear it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 15:50:26
Ain't Technology somthin'?
Chef in Ohio talking with someone in Alaska on an Alaskan Radio Station that can be heard anywhere in the USA and beyond!
Blows my mind.
I'll be sure to have my Crystal Set with a wire attached to the bed springs for an antenna turned on!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 17:04:17
That is wonderful-good for her!!!!!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 17:09:56
Fantastic! 

I'll be at work being bombarded and shell shocked as usual- oh wait a second- noon- I may head home for an early lunch and listen there (the advantages of a 3 mile commute)
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 17:43:27
Cool,Lisa!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/19 21:55:48
great Lisa.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 00:40:36
Outstanding!

I hope someone here knows how to capture and record Lisa for those of us that won't be able to listen.

PS...  Way to go!

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 10:09:30
Very timely. I'm a week away from heading up the ALCAN to Alaska for the summer.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 11:47:09
Just a reminder to anyone who wants to listen in. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 12:02:03
Apparently there's been a mixup concerning the time of the program's airing. I'm not sure where the mixup originated, but we're thinking it's because of the four hour time difference.

I'll update as soon as we can get it squared away.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 13:23:03
I'm listening to KSKA on my iPhone right now. If I am correct Alaska is 4 hours behind Eastern time. The show, Hometown, Alaska, with Kathleen McCoy airs live at 2 PM Alaskan time. That would make it 6 PM Eastern time and 5 PM Central.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 13:32:43
Update: It was a time thing. The program will air at 6 p.m., EDT. The host of the show jujst called Lisa to confirm.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 13:56:14
I'll bet the noontime ratings were sky high!

I won't be able to listen @ 6, are they going to rebroadcast?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 13:57:12
I will make sure to be back home from dinner by 6:00.  Thanks Michael!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 13:57:54
joerogo

I'll bet the noontime ratings were sky high!

I know I was listening.

Can't say about rebroadcasting.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 14:17:55
Rebroadcast is at 11 PM EDT. Here is the schedule...
http://www.alaskapublic.org/kska/schedule/
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 14:34:09
Thank You Davydd.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 16:36:43
Good,

I wasn't able to make it home for lunch in time anyway.

I'll be listening @ 6pm
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 18:12:37
Bump!

It's on right now.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 18:13:52
.....and she is doing a great job!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 18:15:29
Ditto!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 18:42:27
Thanks everyone!  It was a lot of fun talking about Roadfood in Alaska.  She originally said I would be on 10-15 mins. but I was on for 1/2 hour. 
Now on to TV!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 18:54:47
Lisa, you are a star!!!!!  What a great job you did.  They couldn't have found a more knowledgeable person to discuss Alaskan food or a better representative of the Roadfood community! 
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 18:59:57
I'm busy researching my trip right now to Alaska. Of course I want to find at least one bread pork tenderloin sandwich. So far I think I have found one in Palmer, AK at Rusty's at Dahlia Street. One is enough, but if there are others I wouldn't mind checking them out. The farther you get out of the Midwest the more they take on a different description. Most commonly a Schnitzel sandwich or often misnamed porkchop sandwich. Any pork pounded, breaded and fried counts.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 19:01:07
Lisa, I kept waiting for you to come back in. I didn't realize they had just moved on.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 19:24:26
Again, thanks everyone for listening to the broadcast. 
 Davydd, I can honestly say I never, ever saw a pork tenderloin sandwich in Alaska.  Go to Talkeetna to the Roadhouse and get the sourdough flapjacks, then to the West Rib for a Seward's Folly burger or a caribou burger.
post edited by lleechef - 2012/06/20 19:26:18
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 19:52:53
lleechef

Thanks everyone!  It was a lot of fun talking about Roadfood in Alaska.  She originally said I would be on 10-15 mins. but I was on for 1/2 hour. 
Now on to TV!!

You've already done TV. You did that show from Alaska where you made gnocchi.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 19:56:34
I'd gone to the Roadhouse in Talkeetna for breakfast way back in 2001. Very fun place in it being a family style dining setup.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 21:13:43
Davydd

I'm busy researching my trip right now to Alaska. Of course I want to find at least one bread pork tenderloin sandwich. So far I think I have found one in Palmer, AK at Rusty's at Dahlia Street. One is enough, but if there are others I wouldn't mind checking them out. The farther you get out of the Midwest the more they take on a different description. Most commonly a Schnitzel sandwich or often misnamed porkchop sandwich. Any pork pounded, breaded and fried counts.

Since you are on your way to Alaska, I suggest (strongly) that you by "Milepost" which dsescribes each and every mile you travel on each and every road.  I have been there three times and I have bought one each time.  If you do not have it, you drive for miles and just see scenery but with the milepost, they point out every little turn and point out to you things you would have never noticed.  A very valuable tool and informative also. 

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 21:16:02
My congrats to Lleechef for representing her state, roadfood and herself in a outstanding way.  Even if you have never met Lisa, you know that she is a Roadfood treasure.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 21:29:53
Thank you Sundancer.  And yes, a Milepost is a MUST as I said on the broadcast, I have given many, many away to newbie travelers to Alaska. 
I was very pleased to represent Roadfood in Alaska.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/20 21:48:26
Milepost is a great publication ...we learned a lot from it before and during our trip a few years back. Lisa pointed us to several fine places to eat during our visit in Anchorage, Whittier, and Hope. I would never get tired of the seaford we found.
  We hope to get in the Halibut Fish trip sometime in the future...one of our Bucket list goals.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/21 09:13:45
Mr. Mayor I mentioned the place in Hope just for you because we had been there and had that delicious halibut!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/21 10:04:41
Here is the cafe in Hope, AK, with a shot of the great Halibut they serve...then a couple of special dishes Lisa had introduced us to in Anchorage, Tuna and Bacon-wrapped Scallops !  She is a Master with Seafood !

I would love to return to AK for a fishing expedition and to enjoy the great food you can find in that wonderful place.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/21 10:15:27
Thanks for the pics Al, I forgot all about those!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/21 10:20:45
I have the Milepost. I've had the Milepost going back. For 7 years since we bought our first Class B camper van we have been saying we were going to drive to Alaska in it and something always came up to alter those plans. This year was kind of a now or never decision. We want to make the trip while the B still is relatively new and in top condition. However, we have already put 25,000 miles on it in a year from coast to coast.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/21 14:37:10
Davydd
I am so jealous......wish I were making that trip this year.  Be sure to take the Jules Verne-like scary tunnel to Whittier and eat at the Swiftwater Seafood Cafe overlooking Prince William Sound.  Very beautiful.  Very, very excellent seafood. 
Are you planning on driving the Dalton Hiway to Prudhoe?
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/22 15:10:09
Lisa,

I seriously doubt we'll attempt to drive the 400+ miles to Prudhoe Bay considering that it is mostly unpaved gravel. I expect to try and stay on paved roads as much as possible but know we'll run into a lot of road repair. I want to minimize tire and windshield damage opportunities.

Whittier is definitely in the loop. We might even give the ferry to Valdez a go. We will be everywhere we can get to on the Kenai. We should get as far north as Fairbanks. Talkeetna is definitely a must. We have a niece in Anchorage we will visit. Denali, of course, is the crown jewel. We'll poke down to Haines and Skagway. We went to Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka when when we took a cruise in 2001 just the week before 9/11. It would be nice to go back but we probably won't. We had a small 30 passenger kayak cruise scheduled a few years ago for Glacier Bay but it got cancelled on us when they went to a lottery system and our ship missed out.

Tentatively we plan about two weeks up and two weeks back which should give us a whole month in Alaska if we stay out that long. So, we will be winging it as far as plans go.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/22 16:07:01
I can understand not going to Prudhoe.  From Anchorage it is 1000 miles up and 1000 miles back.  We took 2 weeks to do it. 
If you drive to Valdez you won't be disappointed, it's beautiful, especially going through Thompson Pass.  You could also stop in McCarthy and go back to see the old Kennecott Copper Mine. 
Of course the Kenai itself could keep you occupied for a month!  Above all, do NOT miss Homer.......take a halibut charter and go catch yourself a big lunker.
If you happen to have a couple hundred dollars you don't know what to do with in Talkeetna, go to K2 Aviation and charter a plane to fly you around Denali.  It was the most breathtaking experience I had in Alaska.
Can't wait for your trip report to begin!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/22 17:07:01
I visited Point Barrow several years ago and had pizza at Artic Pizza and Mexican chimi at some place close to the ocean.  Really weird as I saw some of the natives using some type of spear standing on a ice float harpooning for warwus or seal.  Me and a friend flew up there from Fairbanks.  It was about a 2+ hour flight.  I will never forget the very early morning flight.  There was a native American sitting next to me and totally intoxicated.  He removed his seatbelt a few minutes into the flight and fell out of his seat about ten minutes later.

As I recall, we paid about $20.00 for a cheeseburger, $20 for a pizza and $25 for a chimi.  It cost a bunch to get food that far north.  
The day we were there it snowed in July and then the sun came out.  We were given jackets by the tour it was very cool 
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/22 17:29:37
We did the fixed wing flight around Mt. McKinley. You only get up to about 10,000 feet but it sure feels like you are almost to the peak (20,320 feet). I video taped it and have yet to get it transferred digitally. In fact I have about 5 hours of Alaska video tape.

We also did a helicopter excursion out of Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier and one other - two landings on the ice fields. Imagine huge chunks of brilliant blue ice at the base of a 1,400 foot waterfall and breaking out champagne and chocolate for a celebration.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/22 17:44:34
Davydd

We did the fixed wing flight around Mt. McKinley. You only get up to about 10,000 feet but it sure feels like you are almost to the peak (20,320 feet). I video taped it and have yet to get it transferred digitally. In fact I have about 5 hours of Alaska video tape.

We also did a helicopter excursion out of Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier and one other - two landings on the ice fields. Imagine huge chunks of brilliant blue ice at the base of a 1,400 foot waterfall and breaking out champagne and chocolate for a celebration.

The compressed blue ice always fascinated me.  I often thought that a few cubes of that with some of my favorite vodka would be super.  I walked on a glacier and I always thought that would be peaceful but I was amazed how noisy they were with ice constantly melting and cracking and groaning.  Sorta weird.

The drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks was outstanding and at one time I saw a triple rainbow.  We were in some type of evergreen forest and the aroma of the evergreens was highly aromatic.  The drive from Fairbanks to Valdez was equally outstanding.  We spent the night in Delta Junction and it seemed to me that we drove about four hours without seeing any population.  We finally saw a restaurant on some lake and stopped and had breakfast.  We ate like we would never ever see another foodstop.

The food in Valdez was outstanding.  We ate at a Portuguese restaurant on the waterfront and had some type of fish.  They know how to cook.

The drive to Valdez included a tour of Thompson Pass.  That is the snowiest place in Alaska and at one time recorded a 1,000 inches of snow.  I noticed all the markers at the side of the road indicated the depth of the snow.  Back to Anchorage we passed a outstanding glacier.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/23 17:08:12
Great stuff Lisa, congrats...new food show tryout in your future??
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:lleechef Does Roadfood On KSKA 2012/06/24 09:56:08
chewingthefat
I don't think there is a food show in my future.  I'll leave that to the youngsters.

sundancer
You have me beat.  I have never been to Barrow.  I would like some day to go to Nome to see the finish of the Iditarod.
I landed on the Ruth Glacier.  I thought it would be like slippery ice but it was like walking on a sno-cone.