Step Van Build

Hamburger
2012/06/22 13:59:14
Hey guys, after years of doing fine dining, Im getting out.  I bought a step van today, which I have to fly out and get next week.  I have been reading for weeks.  I just wanted to introduce myself and I am excited to get this build going.  There is a wealth of knowledge in this community and I am pumped to be a part of it.  As soon as I burn up some posts, Ill put up pictures of the truck its an 18' 2001 WRK.
mofood
Cheeseburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/06/22 14:08:28
Nice, good luck w the build!
RJ's
Junior Burger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/06/22 16:31:15
Good luck! I just bought a stepvan myself. 1983 Chevy. Just started gutting it today. Planning on starting a thread when I get some posts up.
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/09 07:55:39
Quick question. i have seen lots of setups and 1 in particular that I liked however there is only one like this and i think i might know the reason.  How important is weight distribution in a truck?  For example if i have a hotline that runs down the entire side of the truck and the opposite side has all of my cold prep and storage.  The ovens and fryers obviously weigh a lot more.  Would this be an issue?
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/09 08:44:54
oqanani

Quick question. i have seen lots of setups and 1 in particular that I liked however there is only one like this and i think i might know the reason.  How important is weight distribution in a truck?  For example if i have a hotline that runs down the entire side of the truck and the opposite side has all of my cold prep and storage.  The ovens and fryers obviously weigh a lot more.  Would this be an issue?

I don't think your talking about enough weight to make a  difference. However if it was dramatic you could adjust/change the springs. Think about this UPS doesn't load a truck by what a package weights but by it's delivery destination. And the driver doesn't move packages  around the truck as the day goes on. Keep fresh and grey water tanks in mind, water weights 8.34 pounds per gallon. So if your putting sinks on the opposite side as grills/hotline ...you get the point. You can't just scatter equipment around by the weight your service speed would be negatively effected.  However weight distribution in a trailer is much more important. 
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/16 10:59:37
Picking up my truck this week.  It was being inspected and they needed to do a couple repairs before i went through with the purchase.  Its not the best deal in price but better than most.  I am currently working for a truck to pick up some tips and pointers and meet other truck owners.  A big debate we were having last week was weather it was worth the expense of removing the roll up door and doing an enclosure with a door.  What is your guys' take on this?
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/16 11:00:32
side note all the guys here have just removed the tracks and sealed the doors.  Some have cut out windows in the roll up door.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/16 14:49:15
"I am currently working for a truck to pick up some tips and pointers and meet other truck owners. "

Very Very Cool. Your going to do well in this business. I really respect your effort to find out whats what before you start a build. I'm impressed!

Take out the roll up and all the garbage with it. Install a wide single door so you can move equipment in and out down the road. I'm sure money is tight but it will be worth the expense, I promise you.
good luck
jack
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/24 14:48:27
Ok i need some advice....the truck is a 2001 workhorse model p31842

They were supposed to make all necessary repairs and then i would pick up the truck.  they called me today and said they cant find the part to fix the antilock braking system and that they would lower the price of the truck even further to compensate.  How costly of a repair would this be?  They said they dont want to open up the entire system as it might cause way more issues.  What do you all think?  walk away and find another truck or the abs isnt that important?
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/24 14:57:33
just got off the phone with a repair shop.  they said they can get the part thats needed for roughly $500 and labor would cost another 5-6 hundred.  Worst case scenario its a sensor of some sort.  the parts of the system dont really go bad.
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/07/24 23:24:21
OK i got such a good deal on price of the truck now that I couldnt turn it away, even replacing the broken sensor im still ahead on any other buy.  Im driving up friday to pick it up.  
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/09/13 23:43:10
Here are the before pictures of my truck.  I start work next week after I get approval from HD on my plans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64465425@N06/
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/09/13 23:49:56
im trying to do searches and find undermounted generators, anyone know of a thread that shows this? I cant find one
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Step Van Build 2012/09/14 00:23:41
Tony Bad posted this recently it may help you
If you go to google and type in site:roadfood.com   (NO spaces between site and the site you want search) followed by what ever you are looking for, it will work well for you. For example "site:roadfood.com generators"
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/10/01 20:42:04
Ok so i am going to frame out my truck this weekend, get it insulated and use plywood.  My finish surface will be quilted stainless.  My question is about the studs them selves.  The ones that already run inside the truck aren't thick enough to support insulation and then plywood.  Should I tack on an additional stud?  Also my box is all rivets.  How should I attach the plywood to the walls?  All the builds show pictures but no one talks about how they are fastening them.
Also, what are you guys using for insulation, just standard pink board?  I was wondering if anyone has had issues with insulation and the HD

Thanks,
Omar
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/10/01 22:00:31
You may want to consider a plain stainless versus quilted, as cleaning the quilted will be more of an issue in the long run, and although it may look nice behind a counter grill in an open resto theme, I would probably want the easiest maintenance materials inside a mobile unit.
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/10/01 23:12:18
I worked on trucks for years with quilted/non quilted, there's no difference in cleaning.
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/10/02 07:26:28
The truck I work on now is quilted looks great, and its just as easy to clean as a restaurant with plain stainless.
oqanani
Hamburger
Re:Step Van Build 2012/10/04 14:58:21
ok but no one answered the stud question lol.  Also can I use galvanized steel studs Im afraid of rust, should i spring the extra for aluminum studs?  How are these studs being affixed to the body.  I read one person tacked them to the body but another person said not to do it because the body is supposed to have flex???

I know that the outter layer is stainless but the plywood can still get wet can it not?  Its not airtight seal and if that can get wet as I saw when the truck i worked on overflowed whats to stop it from expanding and steel studs from rusting?
post edited by oqanani - 2012/10/04 15:00:24